NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Jeremy

Default SCP Bats

In the recent SCP auction that ended Saturday night, a lot of items went unsold, including almost all the game-used bats: Mantle, Berra, Cobb, Grove, Musial, Mays. Any thoughts?
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 02-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Reserve price strikes again!

I didn't follow these items closely, so this is just my post-action guess: while there were multiple bids on each item, it looks like all of these items had reserve prices, so obviously they didn't meet the reserve.

I think part of the fun is that when an item has a reserve, you need people to keep bidding to get to the reserve. And often once people realize that there is a reserve, they give up and stop bidding. A lot of it just seems to be psychological - why waste your time and effort bidding on something that's not going to sell when you could focus on other stuff?

Others will make this case more stridently than I do, but my experience is that a reserve can really hold an item back. Often a reserve will kick in a few days to a week before the auction ends. At that point, a lot of people will drop out from bidding, and so it never meets the reserve.

A lot of auctions (especially in the current market) see most of their action in the last few days, often even in the last day or the last hour or two. Prices will double, and then double again. Often the reserve process kicks in and shuts down that action entirely. Even if one bidder wants to keep going, they need another bidder to bid against them on a lot of sites to keep the bidding going.

So I'm guessing that's the biggest moral of the story here. Reserves (like snow goons) are bad news.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goons.JPG (115.1 KB, 220 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-06-2023, 12:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
In the recent SCP auction that ended Saturday night, a lot of items went unsold, including almost all the game-used bats: Mantle, Berra, Cobb, Grove, Musial, Mays. Any thoughts?
very surprising the SCP sale had alot of strong prices especially the photos

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-06-2023, 12:11 PM
Jeremy

I don't disagree about reserves in general, though I don't know exactly how SCP goes about it (when do they post them? I know Heritage does it about 3 days before the end). But still, it seems like a higher percentage of the bats went unsold than other items, though a lot of those presumably also had reserves. Any bat-specific theories?
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 02-06-2023, 01:22 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfriedm View Post
I don't disagree about reserves in general, though I don't know exactly how SCP goes about it (when do they post them? I know Heritage does it about 3 days before the end). But still, it seems like a higher percentage of the bats went unsold than other items, though a lot of those presumably also had reserves. Any bat-specific theories?
I honestly don't collect bats (got to draw the line somewhere).

Based on my general pejorative experience with reserves, I suspect they might be the major and/or only reason here.

If you're interested in the SCP reserve policy, it's on their website:

RESERVES A Reserve price is a minimum bid below which the lot will not be sold. Accordingly, if the reserve price is not met at the conclusion of the auction, the lot will not be sold. Reserve bid prices are not publicly available and will not be published. Any item with an unmet reserve will be annotated with "Reserve Not Met" in its online listing 48 hours before extended bidding begins in the auction. SCP may implement this reserve by executing bids on behalf of the consigner and may place a bid up to the amount one increment below the reserve, by placing successive bids if necessary. No reserve bids placed by SCP will be executed at a level greater than one bid below the actual reserve. Any lot that had an unmet reserve at the conclusion of the auction will show as a "PASS" in the online catalog. Reserves when in place will be pre-determined and set within the auction software prior to the start of the auction. Maximum bids will be treated as straight bids on items with reserves until the reserve price is met. If you place a maximum bid in excess of a reserve amount that has not yet been met, your bid will automatically be placed at the reserve price. All bids placed after a reserve has been met will continue with normal bidding increments unless straight bids are placed by a bidder.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-06-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:35 PM

I was bidding on one item that ended up having a reserve. Several people kept bidding on it after the reserve was posted but I think the consignor had high expectations.

I wonder if someone just posts up front there will be a reserve on an item when the auction starts it wouldn’t be so off putting. You get annoyed having invested time thinking you might win an item and then get slapped 3 days before the end. I think I wouldn’t mind as much if I knew up front there wasn’t going to be a “deal”.