NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-16-2022, 05:13 PM
Ben North

Default Weather at your house

I took this picture a couple hours ago. We have had 4 days of crap weather. Today wasn't bad just 30 mph winds. The previous 2 days was blizzard conditions with 30+ mph wind with 50+ mph gusts. Gotta love that sideways snow. Then luckily the day before that it was mostly rain and slush or we would have gotten a lot more snow.

Looks like it might be a day or 2 before we can grill and use the picnic table. It is a warm 15 out now. The next 7 days will have double digit below zero lows. Highs will vary between 9 to -10 for those 7 days.

What is it like at your house?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nogrilling.jpg (119.5 KB, 417 views)
Old 12-16-2022, 11:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It was in the 40's F this morning, which is cold here, so I had to turn on the fire pit while I worked in the yard
Old 12-17-2022, 01:43 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

This. And next week, single digit temps are forecast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221215_122353.jpg (196.4 KB, 392 views)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:44 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
This. And next week, single digit temps are forecast.
On the plus side, that's a beautiful view.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Looks beautiful.

My neighbor is just wet and windy and overcast so nothing to take a picture of.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-17-2022, 11:49 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

looks like we (might) get a wintry mix down here in the South- Georgia by Friday!!!
It gonna be damn cold for sure in the teens
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-18-2022, 10:54 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I guess I need to quit whining about 35 degrees in NC.
Bless you northerners !
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 12-19-2022, 04:47 PM
Jimmy Motz

I don't have any pics, nor would I know how to post some (would like to learn how), but where I am in Central WI, it looks very similar to the above pic a couple of posts up. We are expecting more snow late in the week, up to a foot...not to mention the sub zero temps.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

30's - 40s here, lows maybe in the 20's. Yesterday was 40, but oddly felt a bit raw like it was going to snow, but it didn't.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
looks like we (might) get a wintry mix down here in the South- Georgia by Friday!!!
It gonna be damn cold for sure in the teens
I usually don't go to my Mom's place in central Florida until the New Years weekend but I am gone this Thursday to get away from this.
Old 12-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Jeremy

It's freezing here with tons of snow. Supposed to be -25F on Thursday with a heavy duty winter storm coming through.

Counting the days to when I get to move to Arizona...
Old 12-20-2022, 04:09 PM
David M.

Mid 60's today and it's supposed to be 80 degrees by Christmas. Hohoho!
Old 12-20-2022, 04:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
It's freezing here with tons of snow. Supposed to be -25F on Thursday with a heavy duty winter storm coming through.

Counting the days to when I get to move to Arizona...
Luckily only cold and windy here. I did shovel a path to the grill today so I can grill steaks in a few minutes.

Thu 22 -6°/-11° Mostly Cloudy/Wind NW 25 mph

Fri 23 -7°/-21° Partly Cloudy/Wind NW 24 mph

I am waiting to move to the Oregon coast. Rain beats below zero every day. I wish that housing crash would hurry up and get here. Ocean front property is priced as ridiculous as cards now.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:05 PM
John Hanssen

Schools cancelled already for Wednesday wind chile expected to be as much as -50 Thursday night degrees. Burrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-20-2022, 06:12 PM
Bob Andrews

In the low 50s here tonight in SE Texas. Sunshine broke through the clouds today which was nice for a change. Supposed to drop to 18/20 Thursday night into Friday, aka a 'hard' freeze. I'm hoping the corrupt azz clowns who run the Texas power grid are not lying about being able to avoid blackouts like we suffered a couple of winters back. My generator is primed and ready.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:28 PM
D@le Irv*n

Supposed to get ugly here starting Thursday. +4c (32f) Thurs/Fri with rain transitioning to freezing rain then snow with some high winds. On Saturday they are warning about a flash freeze with temps plummeting to -5c (23f) with more snow and high winds.
Pics, supposedly, from the I-94 in North Dakota taken recently?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg North Dakota.jpeg (35.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-20-2022, 07:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Supposed to get ugly here starting Thursday. +4c (32f) Thurs/Fri with rain transitioning to freezing rain then snow with some high winds. On Saturday they are warning about a flash freeze with temps plummeting to -5c (23f) with more snow and high winds.
Pics, supposedly, from the I-94 in North Dakota taken recently?
Hope it turns from rain to snow quickly so you get very little freezing rain.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:58 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Hope it turns from rain to snow quickly so you get very little freezing rain.
Thanks Ben.
Freezing rain sucks for sure, especially when we receive a fair amount of it.
I don't mind the snow as I snowmobile so I'll take it even though my major riding area was hit with a bad derecho this past summer.
Numerous, and I mean numerous trees are still down with some broken off way up that are unreachable.
https://cottagelife.com/general/gana...may-windstorm/
Old 12-21-2022, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's going to be 9 degrees in Dallas tomorrow. Two days of less than freezing temperatures and no higher. Kind of cold for us. That means emergency weather plans for the dogs. Five get put in the garage with a heater and the other 4 will be inside. Not a super fun situation. Goes with the territory.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:03 AM
D@le Irv*n

Our weather forecast has changed once again, and will likely change another 6 times by the time it actually gets here?
Anyone know when this global warming thing is suppose to happen? I mean it's been over 34 yrs now and still nothing, or is this extreme, record breaking cold and snow in places all because of global warming like they say?
Old 12-21-2022, 07:12 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

It is gonna be in the 60s today and throughout the rest of the week. Yeah, I'm freaking liking that much more than teens and snow. Overnight lows in the 30s......I can deal with this.

Cheers,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:31 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Our weather forecast has changed once again, and will likely change another 6 times by the time it actually gets here?
Anyone know when this global warming thing is suppose to happen? I mean it's been over 34 yrs now and still nothing, or is this extreme, record breaking cold and snow in places all because of global warming like they say?
As long as you don't get the freezing rain. We got a day of it before the snow. The line was just above us for just snow. Get even 30 miles north and it looks like the pic you posted of North Dakota. It rained here for a whole day first. Luckily we just have a skating rink to drive on after they removed the foot+ of snow. We have above ground power everyplace and freezing rain that sticks to the power lines can cause wide spread power outages for days and even weeks for rural people.

I had the generator ready just in case. Last time we didn't have power for 5 days. It really sucks to lose power in nice weather. During several days of a severe winter storm with below zero temps is way worse.

Stay warm everyone.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
As long as you don't get the freezing rain. We got a day of it before the snow. The line was just above us for just snow. Get even 30 miles north and it looks like the pic you posted of North Dakota. It rained here for a whole day first. Luckily we just have a skating rink to drive on after they removed the foot+ of snow. We have above ground power everyplace and freezing rain that sticks to the power lines can cause wide spread power outages for days and even weeks for rural people.

I had the generator ready just in case. Last time we didn't have power for 5 days. It really sucks to lose power in nice weather. During several days of a severe winter storm with below zero temps is way worse.

Stay warm everyone.
The threat of freezing rain has now been removed even though I don't understand how we can go from +3-4 with rain to -4-5 with snow without freezing rain happening in between?
There is currently no snow amount we are supposed to get, just snow is all and no amount of rain either?
Warnings all over the place like climate Armageddon is imminent.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
The threat of freezing rain has now been removed even though I don't understand how we can go from +3-4 with rain to -4-5 with snow without freezing rain happening in between?
There is currently no snow amount we are supposed to get, just snow is all and no amount of rain either?
Warnings all over the place like climate Armageddon is imminent.
Yes those darn weather people are sadly like most others. They make a guess and afterwards get to see how close they got. I like it when they predict bad weather and it ends up being a nice day.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:25 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's going to be 9 degrees in Dallas tomorrow. Two days of less than freezing temperatures and no higher. Kind of cold for us. That means emergency weather plans for the dogs. Five get put in the garage with a heater and the other 4 will be inside. Not a super fun situation. Goes with the territory.
Well, getting blizzard warnings for Detroit. Freezing rain Thursday, turning to snow about 2 am Friday through Sunday.

Started working for one of the big two mortgage GSE Investors this year with a home office in Plano and I almost have her talked into Southlake in the coming few years. Don't ruin it for me Leon.

My only issue will be looking for a Detroit sports bar in Dallas for us expats, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-21-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Yes those darn weather people are sadly like most others. They make a guess and afterwards get to see how close they got. I like it when they predict bad weather and it ends up being a nice day.
Well, sounds like Wisconsin is going to get the worst of it according to Frankie, but all should heed his advice just the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEkKCS_0No
Old 12-21-2022, 12:49 PM
Jeremy

Just had to use 2 extension cords and a hair dryer to unfreeze the lock on my mail receptacle. Got that beautiful T206 Duffy Polar Bear out of there though. I don't think it minded the weather though, Polar Bears are pretty resilient in the cold.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:08 PM
David M.

Quote:
Haven't you heard? Now it's called "climate change" instead of "global warming". It's hard to tell people sitting in a blizzard that it's because of global warming. Climate change can be used to explain any type of weather.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:26 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Haven't you heard? Now it's called "climate change" instead of "global warming". It's hard to tell people sitting in a blizzard that it's because of global warming. Climate change can be used to explain any type of weather.
A warmer planet actually leads to more snow (and rain) . . .but that's waaaay too complicated for most people to wrap their heads around. Or to care to try to understand. It's cool living in a country where basic scientific illiteracy is a badge of honor.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-21-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:30 PM
Tim Odeen

In Spokane WA, we have had snow on the ground for 6 weeks, temps have not risen above freezing. I waited to long to put Christmas lights up. We got an additional 3 inches yesterday, and today temps are 10 degrees with negative temps overnight.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-21-2022, 02:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Well, sounds like Wisconsin is going to get the worst of it according to Frankie, but all should heed his advice just the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEkKCS_0No
Emailing with a friend and fellow member in Wisconsin now and before I read this he told me they are about to get hit. So whoever Frankie is they are correct.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:20 PM
pete ullman

You’re in St. Paul we had may be five or 6 inches already on the ground and single digit temperatures. The blizzard arrive this morning added maybe three or 4 inches it’s quite windy and cold. Supposed to continue until maybe Friday with the winds picking up tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:40 PM

Here is the good and bad about living in San Diego county:

Good: - the weather is great - mid 60s during the day and 40s at night.

Bad: - Got this month's electric bill - 500+
Old 12-21-2022, 03:48 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Here is the good and bad about living in San Diego county:

Good: - the weather is great - mid 60s during the day and 40s at night.

Bad: - Got this month's electric bill - 500+
If it's that temp during the day and at night how is the electric bill that high? You wouldn't need heat or AC in that kind of weather.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:57 PM

Sounds strange but you do. Visitors from out of state will come (WI, KS, etc.) and complain about how cold it is - even when the temperature is in the mid-40s!

The rates and taxes are crazy. It's a tiered billing system. The more you use, the higher the unit rate. It starts off high and goes into the hemisphere from there.

Electricity is second only to water and property taxes.

If you excluded heating and air, then you could knock that baby down to around 2-3 hundred I'm guessing.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:00 PM

Oh, I forgot add the price of gasoline.

The rest of the United States is mainly around 3 bucks or so and we are still at around $4.50 average.

I just can't seem to figure that one out either.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Yes, yes, you're right. My bad. It went from global warming to climate change when the earth was no longer co-operating. I forgot about that.
From what I hear now, it has gone from climate change to a climate crisis now!!!
We are doomed I tell you. Record breaking cold around the world but some actually believe that is caused by global warming, er, I mean the climate crisis.
I wish someone, who wasn't so high on their horse, would try to explain that to us illiterate peon's but I'm sure it's not worth their effort if all we are going to do is laugh at what some people will actually believe today.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:01 PM
Jeff H

I have around a foot of snow currently. Starting Thursday evening it's supposed to start snowing with windy conditions. Over the weekend the forecast is for 1-2 feet of snow, temps in the teens, and winds at 30 mph with gusts to +50 mph. It will be a good time to stoke up the fireplace and watch it snow and blow.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:58 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
A warmer planet actually leads to more snow (and rain) . . .but that's waaaay too complicated for most people to wrap their heads around. Or to care to try to understand. It's cool living in a country where basic scientific illiteracy is a badge of honor.
So, how is it that our current high level of precipitation is accompanied by sub zero temperatures?

How about this: climate has always changed. Always has, always will. Only fools would try to stop it from changing.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Ben North

The snow is welcome here as we have had a couple years of drought. I never even had to start the snowblower last year. Not so sure about the -19 with -47 real feel now. On the bright side it is supposed to warm up to a balmy -7 today.

On a really bad note the darn wind blew my path to the grill back in with snow.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:59 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So, how is it that our current high level of precipitation is accompanied by sub zero temperatures?

How about this: climate has always changed. Always has, always will. Only fools would try to stop it from changing.
Remember when they said all glaciers would be gone by the mid 2000's? Remember when they said snow and cold weather would also be gone due to global warming and if we didn't act now, the planet, as we know it, would perish?

Well, because that didn't work out so well for them, they've now changed it to, "Because of Global Warming/The Climate Crisis" we are now seeing record breaking cold and snow.
And, instead of some people waking up, seeing/recognizing the insanity of that, they just jump onboard, without giving it a second thought, and follow right along with the "new" spun up narrative.
This is so like covid and the vaccines where those once revered scientists and climatologists, who don't toe the line, are shamed, shunned and kicked to the curb, it's not even funny.
Again, what party is pushing both? It seems, or at least it does to me, the more this one party and their funded media lies to them, the more lies they want.
Little do people recognize that the more their party brainwashes them, the more votes and money it guarantees them too.
It also bothers me immensely, makes me angry, what this climate crisis scam is doing to our youth. Numerous kids, and some adults, are suffering with climate anxiety and depression with some even committing suicide thinking they have nothing to live for.
As Joseph Goebbels said, if you tell a lie once, no one will believe it but if you repeat it, say it over and over again, it becomes the truth. Our former environment minister, in her drunken stupor, is on video saying exactly the same thing but it's amazing how little media coverage that story received.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZyi_Sx1GpU
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...278-3/fulltext
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...ment-1.6593657
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...y-202206132761
Attached Images
File Type: jpg climatee8.jpg (81.9 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by irv; 12-22-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:08 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

What annoys me is how otherwise intelligent people are either too lazy or too gullible to think for themselves and use just a tiny bit of common sense.

I live in Minnesota, where it routinely drops below freezing in winter and tops 100 degrees sometime during summer. That's a 100 degree change over about 6 months. Life survives. Yet, a one or two degree change spread over 100 years is supposed to be disastrous?

Carbon dioxide, a naturally occurring form of carbon in a carbon-based world, is required for all plant life (trees, grass, plants, vegetables, algae, etc.) Yet it comprises just one half of one tenth of one percent of the atmosphere. That means, for every 2,500 parts in the atmosphere, only ONE is CO2. And that is supposed to be too much, to the point of trapping heat and causing calamity?

People need to think just a little bit.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
What annoys me is how otherwise intelligent people are either too lazy or too gullible to think for themselves and use just a tiny bit of common sense.

I live in Minnesota, where it routinely drops below freezing in winter and tops 100 degrees sometime during summer. That's a 100 degree change over about 6 months. Life survives. Yet, a one or two degree change spread over 100 years is supposed to be disastrous?

Carbon dioxide, a naturally occurring form of carbon in a carbon-based world, is required for all plant life (trees, grass, plants, vegetables, algae, etc.) Yet it comprises just one half of one tenth of one percent of the atmosphere. That means, for every 2,500 parts in the atmosphere, only ONE is CO2. And that is supposed to be too much, to the point of trapping heat and causing calamity?

Just for fun I had to look it up.

Minnesota Hottest day on record is 115 F Coldest day on record -60 F 175 degree difference.

South Dakota Hottest day on record is 120 F Coldest day on record -58 F 178 degree difference.

Seems like we get some extremes at both places.

https://www.rd.com/list/coldest-warm...n-every-state/
Old 12-22-2022, 12:41 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

There was a vid of a CBC journalist talking about how CBC told her "We don't want people thinking for themselves, we want them to believe everything we tell them" when she wanted to talk about/air all the adverse affects/vaccine injuries that were happening but the CBC refused.
She ended up quitting do to that as she didn't like their controlling/biased/brainwashing attitude and their media coverage regarding that.
Of course that vid has now been removed and is nowhere to be found so I'm thankful I was able to watch it before it was.
The thing is people can't connect the dots and see that Trudeau funded them 675 million dollars of our tax payer money but they still think the CBC isn't biased/favors Trudeau and the Liberals.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle29354285/

Quote:

Minnesota Hottest day on record is 115 F Coldest day on record -60 F 175 degree difference.

South Dakota Hottest day on record is 120 F Coldest day on record -58 F 178 degree difference.

Did you notice some of those dates, Ben? 1899, 1915, 1925, 1905, 1936, 1913, 1916, etc. I'm sure if one were to look, they'd easily find many articles debunking these dates and debunking the science/temperature taking techniques back then.
Many articles, science data from years ago has now been deleted and many others that haven't been, are very difficult to find/look up anymore. I wonder why they would do that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Climmity9.jpg (35.3 KB, 197 views)
Old 12-22-2022, 01:11 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Nail, hammer, head.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Did you notice some of those dates, Ben? 1899, 1915, 1925, 1905, 1936, 1913, 1916, etc. I'm sure if one were to look, they'd easily find many articles debunking these dates and debunking the science/temperature taking techniques back then.
Many articles, science data from years ago has now been deleted and many others that haven't been, are very difficult to find/look up anymore. I wonder why they would do that?
Seriously everyone can we please keep the silliness out of this thread?
Old 12-22-2022, 02:33 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Ha, good luck with that!
Old 12-22-2022, 03:41 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
"Silliness" is a very nice way to put it.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-22-2022, 04:20 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:

I don't think it is controversial, or easily dismissed, that huge glaciers pushed south through the northern 2/3 of Minnesota about 10,000 years ago, carving out most of our 13,000 +/- lakes. Imagine how huge those ice sheets must've been, not just across, but thick and heavy enough to gouge big lake basins. Imagine how much ice expansion had to happen for these huge glaciers to move hundreds of miles, slowly changing the landscape.

And then imagine how extremely cold it must've been, even in summer, for those glaciers to continue to grow and expand, rather than melting away. And not just for one or two years, but probably hundreds if not thousands of years or more.

Now the thought of temps rising one or two degrees over the next 100 years throws some people into a panic.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:04 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
I don't think it is controversial, or easily dismissed, that huge glaciers pushed south through the northern 2/3 of Minnesota about 10,000 years ago, carving out most of our 13,000 +/- lakes. Imagine how huge those ice sheets must've been, not just across, but thick and heavy enough to gouge big lake basins. Imagine how much ice expansion had to happen for these huge glaciers to move hundreds of miles, slowly changing the landscape.

And then imagine how extremely cold it must've been, even in summer, for those glaciers to continue to grow and expand, rather than melting away. And not just for one or two years, but probably hundreds if not thousands of years or more.

Now the thought of temps rising one or two degrees over the next 100 years throws some people into a panic.
Looks like you’ve spent your life studying this. Great conclusion you’ve reached through those rigorous studies.