NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-30-2022, 07:30 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default "Set" complete (NFL Top 50)

Based on my sabermetric-y calculations I compiled a list of who I think are statistically the 50 best players in NFL history, with a goal of putting together a collection of their rookie cards. I've done the same for MLB, NBA, and NHL, but the NFL group is the first I've completed. It's quite a bit harder to do the NBA and NHL ones and nearly impossible for MLB. Anyway, with my Ray Lewis eBay pick up arriving in the mail today, this group is complete. I also have a Matthew Stafford waiting in the wings as I'm expecting him to move into the top 50 this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220730_211858.jpg (200.6 KB, 211 views)
Old 07-30-2022, 07:40 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

cool i remember seeing that marino and elway on late night tv . in the 80s ..on that show selling baseball cards and baseballs signed by HOFs etc..
Old 07-30-2022, 07:55 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
cool i remember seeing that marino and elway on late night tv . in the 80s ..on that show selling baseball cards and baseballs signed by HOFs etc..
Those are the two I just got back from PSA from my submission last March.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:03 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Those are the two I just got back from PSA from my submission last March.
right i dont mean those exact cards specifically.......im sure others on the forum remember that late night show that sold sheets of cards with the marino on it etc.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:22 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Don West?
Old 08-07-2022, 01:36 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Where are _________?

Interesting collection. that said, only one card pre 1960? Many greats omitted.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
Interesting collection. that said, only one card pre 1960? Many greats omitted.
It’s a lot easier if there’s only 10 before 1980 . Ken Anderson but no Starr or Unitas? The statistical basis must be weighted very heavily to the modern game. I don’t get the list chosen, but it’s a very cool collection.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:44 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It’s a lot easier if there’s only 10 before 1980 . Ken Anderson but no Starr or Unitas? The statistical basis must be weighted very heavily to the modern game. I don’t get the list chosen, but it’s a very cool collection.
Definitely is. Makes it much easier that the NFL has kept updating the rules to favor the modern passing game.

Contrast that with my MLB-equivalent list where 33 of the top 50 players' careers had already ended before I was born (in 1977), and 8 of them played in the 19th century.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Definitely is. Makes it much easier that the NFL has kept updating the rules to favor the modern passing game.

Contrast that with my MLB-equivalent list where 33 of the top 50 players' careers had already ended before I was born (in 1977), and 8 of them played in the 19th century.
This is why I like contextualization, evaluation in time and place. It shouldn't be all old or all modern, on the whole eras should roughly balance out. One guy before 1962 isn't better than 1 guy after 1980 would be.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:35 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I like that you put a personal touch on your list and built it to match your beliefs. That is the definition of creating a collection you will enjoy. Good stuff.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:29 PM

While I agree this list doesn't list probably 15-20 players easily that should be on list, as long as your happy than you did it right!!!
Old 12-02-2022, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

No creativity in it, but I am mostly done with the NFL's own 100 list that it put out fairly recently. It's fairly inclusive as to earlier decades and pretty evenly distributed across positions, so probably in some respects isn't going to line up with other such lists which are more QB heavy, but it's still a nice list IMO. My biggest quibble with it is Dutch Clark over Nagurski.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-02-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No creativity in it, but I am mostly done with the NFL's own 100 list that it put out fairly recently. It's fairly inclusive as to earlier decades and pretty evenly distributed across positions, so probably in some respects isn't going to line up with other such lists which are more QB heavy, but it's still a nice list IMO. My biggest quibble with it is Dutch Clark over Nagurski.
I am not degrading Bronco, but I think Clark was far more skilled as a leader and a nimble runner. Nagurski relied on his size and Christian Okoye line hammering. Amazing tackler however, it’s damn close in the end.

Just personal opinion (and a Detroit bias, lol).

I don’t hate the list but it’s just ok. I think almost more so than any sport, and because of the ample rule changes, football is the hardest to compare players of different eras. They just just are not interchangeable at all.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I am not degrading Bronco, but I think Clark was far more skilled as a leader and a nimble runner. Nagurski relied on his size and Christian Okoye line hammering. Amazing tackler however, it’s damn close in the end.

Just personal opinion (and a Detroit bias, lol).

I don’t hate the list but it’s just ok. I think almost more so than any sport, and because of the ample rule changes, football is the hardest to compare players of different eras. They just just are not interchangeable at all.
The clear goal of the NFL's official list was to get in a fair number of players from previous decades at all positions. Accepting that objective I think it's a pretty good list.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.