NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-08-2023, 03:53 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Default Fun article about a Tiger autograph collector

https://www.motowntigers.com/2023/02...rs-autographs/

"He counts more than 1,100 autographed Tigers’ baseballs — he’s got lots of doubles, but doubles don’t count — most of them single-signed, including almost all the players from the Tigers’ four World Series championships: 1935, 1945, 1968 and 1984."
Old 02-08-2023, 05:20 AM

Hi Scott,
Good story! Thanks for sharing this...
Old 02-08-2023, 06:04 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Thanks for sharing. I could not imagine attempting to collect that many individually signed ballplayer baseballs for that entire period. Hell, it was tough enough to collect 75-80% of the Tiger ballplayers from between 1901 - 1945 on various flat mediums.

Curious to know how complete a run of Detroit team signed baseballs he happened to purchase over 35 years. That is one of the valuable lessons (IMO) about this hobby; it can be very humbling to realize that as nice a collection as one might think they have built, there are other collections vastly superior.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:49 AM

Ouch. You'd really have to know what you were doing in order to amass a run of Tigers team balls if you wanted to avoid all the inevitable clubhouse issues. One of the most problematic teams to collect in this regard. It would be a practically impossible task to assemble a lengthy run of entirely authentic Tiger team balls. There's a period of more than half a century where you really have to be careful. In particular, the 1960's was a minefield.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-08-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Neat article for sure although I'm left wondering if that Eddie Gaedel signed baseball he mentioned was from Coaches Corner (or something along those lines)?
Old 02-08-2023, 07:06 AM

His Bucky Harris team ball sure looks like an Autoball from here...
Old 02-08-2023, 07:38 PM
Curt

Article said the Gaedel was on paper, not a ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Neat article for sure although I'm left wondering if that Eddie Gaedel signed baseball he mentioned was from Coaches Corner (or something along those lines)?
I noticed they inducted Pete Rose into the HOF in the article, a small mistake that I can forgive.

I would feel the same way as his wife, advertising something like that nationally or even regionally, with your name and hometown, stating you have a $500K collection in your house. No thanks.

Cool article though. I prefer flats and could maybe give him a run for his money with Dodgers, but I am not spending $11K or anywhere near that on any one hobby related item, so I will always have to accept that my collection will never be top tier.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:39 PM
Curt

I see that too. I sure goes look like one,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Old 02-09-2023, 06:31 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
I don't know how you autograph collectors do it. Operation Bullpen scared me completely away from collecting autographs. Unless you get them in person or maybe through the mail, I just don't know how you can ever really be 100% sure that what you own is genuine. That notion just messes with my OCD too much!
Old 02-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

This guy seems to be making the rounds:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...ollection.html

Similar article also exists behind a detroit news paywall
Old 02-09-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
I don't know how you autograph collectors do it. Operation Bullpen scared me completely away from collecting autographs. Unless you get them in person or maybe through the mail, I just don't know how you can ever really be 100% sure that what you own is genuine. That notion just messes with my OCD too much!
I think autograph collectors who don't deal much in unsigned cards feel the same way about cards. How can you be 100% certain that something isn't trimmed, recolored or otherwise altered? Card collectors have their own problems to worry about.

Nobody can be 100% certain about anything, unless they pulled the card from the pack or saw the autograph signed themselves.

It's completely understandable that anybody without a lifetime of knowledge behind them would feel trepidation in starting out in either side of the hobby. In fact, a lot of people could have saved themselves a lot of money by not jumping into this hobby blindly, their experience being far outweighed by either overeager passion or avarice.

Edited to add: That Operation Bullpen forged material is child's play compared to skilled forgeries. It's become quite easy for many people to identify it over the passage of 20+ years. If that stuff scares or confuses anyone, then yes, time to go back to the drawing board to determine if:

A) you can learn more
B) even possess the aptitude to learn more, and/or
C) need to either stick to safer aspects of this hobby or simply find another hobby.

Also, option B is not intended to come across as condescending nor is it directed at anyone in particular. It's certainly better for people to be honest with themselves about it, though. If this hobby interests you and you're starting from square one, set yourself a timeframe, whatever that may be. If you don't feel you've made significant headway with your knowledge at the end of that time, then definitely reassess if this is the right hobby for you. I've seen many people involved with autographs for decades who somehow can't buy even the most rudimentary of clues when it comes to detecting forgeries. While this is confounding enough, even more strange to me is their continued devotion to something they will never seem to comprehend. We all have our own skill sets.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-09-2023 at 09:51 AM.