NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Any update on (newer) new SGC flip?

Seeing the cards with the now-rejected new flip on eBay this week just verifies how awful that (now-rejected) one is. All you see first is the flip, not the card. Maybe what SGC wrongly wanted. But have they officially released and posted and started actually using the much better Net54-designed flip?

Last edited by GregMitch34; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM
Sebastian

I was wondering this as well, have some things on hold until Im sure.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Bill Gregory

The new one is distracting, not because it is new, but because it is such a step backwards visually.

I've given this new flip a chance. I look at it every day. I haven't bought any cards with it yet, because quite honestly, it detracts from the overall presentation. It really does. I know some people will be along shortly to call us obsessive, or nuts, but I'm sorry, when I pay for card grading, part of what I'm paying for is the ability to display the card. It's bad enough the flip is so plain looking, but the centering on the flip is off. The first line of information is running into the SGC logo, too. They wanted extra room. Well, now they've got it.

Here's an example. Beautiful card, right?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-13-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Bill Gregory

Hmm, oddly enough, that flip has no watermark. Wonder why?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-13-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I recently got some cards back with the new (but soon to be replaced?) SGC flip. It certainly will be improved with the green border enhancement (the new new flip) but, overall, I still think it is better than its predecessor. It is cleaner and distinctive. I do not think it detracts from the appearance of the card/holder.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Hmm, oddly enough, that flip has no watermark. Wonder why?
Maybe because in your rush to criticize you put up the wrong flip?

I love the watermark and think the new flip will look much better with the green border. I would expect it to still be a few to several weeks out based on what they said before. I have some cards on the way back with the first generation of the new flip. They are fine to me but I do understand others not caring for them.

BTW, the Evers that is shown DOES in fact have a watermark, it just can't be seen from the scan.

Last edited by Leon; 06-13-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 AM

I don't have a problem with the card flip. But I was thrown off by the red autograph flips they're using now. I saw a few in the Sterling auction and had to look a few times to figure out they were SGC.

Last edited by packs; 06-13-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
Seeing the cards with the now-rejected new flip on eBay this week just verifies how awful that (now-rejected) one is. All you see first is the flip, not the card. Maybe what SGC wrongly wanted. But have they officially released and posted and started actually using the much better Net54-designed flip?
I imagine it will take a bit to copyright (or trademark?) the design.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I imagine it will take a bit to copyright (or trademark?) the design.
Do people expect SGC to NOT use up the on-hand inventory of Border-less flips before launching the newest design?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Maybe because in your rush to criticize you put up the wrong flip?

I love the watermark and think the new flip will look much better with the green border. I would expect it to still be a few to several weeks out based on what they said before. I have some cards on the way back with the first generation of the new flip. They are fine to me but I do understand others not caring for them.
Leon, I really wasn't rushing to judgement, but if I gave you, or anybody else that impression, then I sincerely apologize.

When SGC first released the mockup of their new flip, yes, I was unhappy, and I voiced my opinion. I also made a point to thank them when it was announced they were going to revamp the flip based on feedback they received from the members of this forum.

I realize that it's impossible for SGC to make everybody happy. I also realize that even the greatest of companies misstep from time to time (new Coke, Windows 8). But SGC proved their mettle, and my opinion of them, which was already quite favorable, shot up exponentially. So, when I was critical of this first generation, my comments were made with the knowledge that this was just a temporary thing, and that changes for the better were going to come. It appears that I did not communicate that effectively, however, and that is on me.

I agree with you, Leon, that the green border is going to make a big difference. I think will provide some order to the information that is being presented. It also creates some continuity with the prior design, as does the dark green field at the flip's top, with the white SGC lettering.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I'm glad someone posted this thread. I was thinking the same thing. I've been seeing all these new SGC flips showing up on ebay. Not a fan, but I am a SGC fan...just patiently waiting for the green border flip to come out before I submit my cards. Does anyone know of a specific time frame when it will happen? Will it in fact happen or was it just SGC saying they'll think about it.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
I'm glad someone posted this thread. I was thinking the same thing. I've been seeing all these new SGC flips showing up on ebay. Not a fan, but I am a SGC fan...just patiently waiting for the green border flip to come out before I submit my cards. Does anyone know of a specific time frame when it will happen? Will it in fact happen or was it just SGC saying they'll think about it.
Let me first state again that I am not a spokesperson whatsoever for SGC. Anything I say is my personal opinion.

I believe the new flips are on order or are in the process. I don't think anyone has an exact date but my guess would be another 2-4 weeks based on what was said previously (that is only a guess). They are definitely doing them with the green border though my understanding is they won't be exactly like the one Joe G did, which to me, is sort of a shame. But the green border is coming, there is no doubt about that from what I was told and what Jeff L. said in his statement for them, not too long ago on this board.

Last edited by Leon; 06-13-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Not this again.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not this again.
This IS a forum, last I checked.....
Old 06-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
This IS a forum, last I checked.....
Yes but some people are forum and some are "against 'em "

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 06-13-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Yes but some people are forum and some are "against 'em "
Haha, that's the difference between neurosis, process and progress

Last edited by Paul S; 06-13-2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added 'progress' and an emoticon. What does that say about myself?
Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Not this again.
LOLOL!!!!!! YES, AGAIN!

I actually think the new flip looks better than the old, why? BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE ALL THE WRITING CLEARLY ON THE FLIP.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Stu.art Gil.bert

Who cares if you can see all the writing clearly on the flip, it doesn't have a green border.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

When I talked to SGC on Thursday, Douglas said approx. 2 more weeks for the replacement flip.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
When I talked to SGC on Thursday, Douglas said approx. 2 more weeks for the replacement flip.
The world may end if it isn't sooner.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Not to worry, Peter. Look who is coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mighty_mouse_using_pop_art_style_by_duceduc-d561xzj.jpg (20.8 KB, 162 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Wow - You must be psychotic.........errrr psychic...........