NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2021, 01:44 PM

Default Sell my 52T Mays?

Friends I'm really struggling with a tough decision here. I have a 1952 Topps Mays. It's a PSA 6 and dead centered. A beauty. It's my favorite card in my collection, and I'm fortunate in that I am not hurting for money right now. Normally I wouldn't think of selling, but I just cannot decide what I should do with these crazy sales prices.

A card identical to mine sold on ebay a few days ago in a Best Offer for $25K. And there's an SGC 5.5 on ebay now that's already up to 20K with 7 days yet to go.

Like I said, in normal times I would be content to hang on to this beauty but if this is a bubble and I could get 25K for a card that will soon be work 5 or 6K again, I would seriously be thinking of cashing out.

Or is this a price correction for an undervalued player? As much as I hate the thought of losing 15 or 20K by not selling now, I hate even more the thought of selling something that might one day be a new Mantle, fetching high five or low six figures for that grade

What do you think?
Old 02-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

It's my favorite card in my collection

Nuff said...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think it's more likely than not we are near a peak but then again there is a lot of new money in the hobby and it's an elite card so who the heck knows. Nobody is who. There's no right answer. If you sell, ask a lot more than 25 based on that SGC card you mentioned. Or, auction it, in a rising market that can work out better. PM me and I am glad to recommend someone if you wish. Good luck.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-08-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:57 PM
Chris

If you don’t need the money and you value having the card in your collection, don’t sell.

If you don’t care about grades, you could sell and then buy a PSA 3 and still come away with a nice profit.

I think it comes down to whether, at heart, you’re collecting for profit or collecting for love. Different cards fall into different places on that scale for me. It sounds like the Mays is all about love for you. If that’s the case, no need to sell no matter what.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Don't Do It

I have a 52 Mays in a PSA 7 and I also have been tracking prices on it BUT just for the fun of it. DON'T pull the trigger. As others have said, it truly is a sweet card from a truly iconic set. Enjoy the card and relax. Prices aren't going down on this one, IMHO.
Peace.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:17 PM
J0hn Collin$

It's a very personal decision. I would be on the side that says don't sell your favorite card if you don't have to, but then again I am in it much more for the cards than the money and I don't have anything in my collection worth even a fraction of that card. There are those who always intend to get rid of their cards at some point; if you are one of those types of collector / investors then it may well be worth considering peaks and where exactly the market is. But I would also use the "regret meter" - are you going to be kicking yourself a month from now if you sell it? I try to approach decisions kind of like that even if moving some of my smaller pieces around.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:20 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

If you truly feel this is a bubble and that we are nearing its peak, then it only makes collecting/financial sense to sell - even if it is your favorite card. Earmark the sale’s proceeds for future card purchases, and sit tight.

Then, when prices drop, you can buy the same equivalent card (maybe even a better one), and potentially a lot more cards, with the earmarked money. You will have a much better collection in the long-run, and without having to pump new capital into it. However, this assumes we are in a bubble and its peaking.

Mays cards started trending upwards in December, and exploded after Aaron’s death. I almost think that his death will not have a major effect on his card’s prices. His death is almost already baked into the prices we are seeing – at least in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your decision. It’s a great problem to have – keep your favorite card or sell and make a boatload.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:25 PM
J0hn Collin$

Aaron could prove us all wrong, but historically anyway - I usually think that player deaths are extremely overrated in terms of their effect on card values. Sure there may be a temporary spike, but in most markets a year or so later it was hard to tell exactly what had happened to the cards only because the player died. Mickey Mantle cards were already valuable when he died. They remained that way, but not necessarily because he died. Does that make sense?

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:37 PM

It’s funny you posted this as I am having the exact same dilemma as you are. The only difference is that mine isn’t graded. Trying to decide whether to send it in to get it graded. However, I know if it grades 6 or better I will sell it, and not sure I am ready to part with it yet.

Last edited by deken; 11-15-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:39 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My philosophy is if you can get substantial profit, take it. But that's my philosophy.

I think Mays is a bit undervalued and forgotten at this moment. When he dies, he will likely get a great deal of attention as one of the 1-3 greatest baseball players of all time. His Negro League ties will aid in this attention.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

Cracking up remembering the time a kid brought a '52 Topps Mays to junior high school and was showing it off. This was like 1990, maybe. I think it belonged to some relative? It wasn't in great shape but it was real - I knew enough about cards even then to realize. At the time probably a $500 card. That kid traded me a lot of things over the years, but he wouldn't trade that, LOL.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Eric Cheng

No one can tell you when the top is. Just if you sold,try not to look back. Just enjoy your cash depreciation when fed prints more money
Old 02-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Dave Wilson

I'm curious how many of you have shifted from collecting cards to investing in cards at this point. Essentially moving from collecting what you like to collecting what you think will be a big investment.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Just my nickle

but I have faced that problem MANY times albeit not at that lofty a level. Unless it can't be replaced - lock up a good profit and buy a NICE card in it's place.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Eric Cheng

I regretted sold 2x 86 Jordan 8.5 for 850. 1200 for 51 Bowman mantle 3 and others when I need to buy a house back in 10. I should have just ride it through without selling. Lesson learned. After that I have been buying back and never really sold a single card. Maybe down the line in future I might have to. But I'm not selling something I love and will continue to appreciate unless I have to.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM

I am having the same dilemma with my 52 Jackie. I have an A that I paid 900 for. It’s looks great and I am seeing all of these much worse looking 1’s going for 4,000. I really comes down to 1. Do you need the money 2. I there something you want more you could buy and 3. Is the profit so much that you cannot justify keeping. When I think about profit I like to think about if it’s an amount of money that I would notice six months from now or would it just go into the wash
Old 02-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
but I have faced that problem MANY times albeit not at that lofty a level. Unless it can't be replaced - lock up a good profit and buy a NICE card in it's place.
It can be replaced. But knowing you sold it for xxx amount. Later when it rises to xxxx . Even you have the money you will not buy it back because in your mind you remember you sold it for xxx
Old 02-08-2021, 03:25 PM
A.J. Johnson

Sell it and find the best looking replacement at a lower grade level. You'll still own the card and will have taken some $ off the table at a great price.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-08-2021, 03:29 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Sell it and find the best looking replacement at a lower grade level. You'll still own the card and will have taken some $ off the table at a great price.
This. But wait until May when there is substantial media coverage of his 90th birthday.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
It can be replaced. But knowing you sold it for xxx amount. Later when it rises to xxxx . Even you have the money you will not buy it back because in your mind you remember you sold it for xxx
This happens with lots of sales. We would never sell anything if we thought this way I see cards I had that are selling for many times more than I sold them for. Especially when grading came along. Sell & purchase a lower grade for less money. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 02-08-2021, 04:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I agree. Did that with my Dr. J RC last year and haven't regretted it. Of course it helps that I got out about 25% above current market.

Or just put the card up for sale at a crazy price and see what happens. I did that over the weekend with a Ruth card I don't really want to sell but will if I can cash out at the right price. In this frothy market you never know.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
I'm curious how many of you have shifted from collecting cards to investing in cards at this point. Essentially moving from collecting what you like to collecting what you think will be a big investment.
I invest in companies and my business, I collect cards. Yes, my collection is worth quite a bit but its for my pleasure that I collect. My son and daughter can decide what to do with my collection after I'm gone.

I also don't think I would be a very good card investor/flipper since my collecting journey is personal I can't separate the two.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-08-2021, 04:42 PM

Another angle - what would you do with the profits? You say you don’t need the money, but money you don’t need can be powerful.

Buy other cards you’d really enjoy? Go on a dream vacation? Retire 6 months earlier? Donate to a charity near and dear to your heart?

If those things would give you more joy than owning the card...sell. If not, hang onto the card and don’t worry about what it’s worth!
Old 02-08-2021, 04:59 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Don't be a numbskull sell it. In my opinion prices are beyond rational as are equity prices, cryptocurrencies, real estate in many locations, etc. It can't last forever and never does. When this ends it will be more than painful to many people. That said if the money doesn't mean anything then do what your heart tells you.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:09 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'd sell and not look back 25k could get you a nice toy, or a step towards another goal

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-08-2021, 05:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccre View Post
I'd quit collecting before I focused on the financial aspect first. I will admit to being as intrigued by the dollar value of my collection as the next guy, but I think any more that's just being basically responsible given the price tags that are starting to accompany certain vintage cards.

But no, first and foremost - a card has to appeal to my sense of history and nostalgia and give me my "fix" in that department. Here lately that seems to be late 60's and early 70's sets. There was a time I would have snubbed such things and was interested only in 1950's cards. I sometimes have no idea what motivates me, but I can tell you for sure it's not money. (Unless you count figuring out how to get more money to spend on cards...)

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-08-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:48 PM

Everything's relative. When a collector says their collection is worth "a lot" or "quite a bit" or "very valuable", that can mean $2,500 or $25,000 or $250,000 or $2.5 million or $25 million, etc,... It's nice to see cards skyrocket in price, but it's a double edged sword because it pushes others out of the hobby. I think it's only going to get worse as the balance tips even further to the business side of the hobby.

In terms of Brian selling his Mays or not, there's no right or wrong answer. You have to do what makes you happy in this hobby/business.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:50 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
This right here. Sell the Mays, buy a nicely-centered 5 to replace it, and pocket the difference.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:57 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Aaron could prove us all wrong, but historically anyway - I usually think that player deaths are extremely overrated in terms of their effect on card values. Sure there may be a temporary spike, but in most markets a year or so later it was hard to tell exactly what had happened to the cards only because the player died. Mickey Mantle cards were already valuable when he died. They remained that way, but not necessarily because he died. Does that make sense?
I disagree; when a player of Mays’s caliber dies, there is an extensive amount of positive media coverage that exposes people who otherwise wouldn’t be as aware of that player’s accomplishments. When Tom Seaver died, after reading some of the press coverage, I nearly went and picked up a couple cards of his (I couldn’t find a signed 1987 Topps at a reasonable price). I wouldn’t have looked into his cards if it hadn’t been for the attention he got, and he had been in declining health for a while, so it wasn’t really a shock.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:10 PM
Garth Guibord

One of the great parts about a hobby, any hobby that is, is the decisions that need to be made and how people prioritize parts of that hobby. What to collect, how to display it, when/if to sell, etc. are all valuable experiences to go through in their own right, not to mention the process of reevaluating things and shifting your collecting goal or focus.
I have my PC cards and I have also flipped, in part to help fund my PC. Unfortunately, I flipped my Mays 52T in an SGC holder a couple years before this boom, but it was the decision I made at the time. But again, I think these decisions and the process to make them are valuable in their own right.
Whatever you do, take some time to really think about it and make the call when you feel like you're ready. If you're not ready, just hold on to it until you are.
And one thing to consider if you do look to downgrade and try to keep some profits - after selling fees and taxes, the downgrade might be larger than you would want, so do those calculations first.
Oh - and congrats on having a great card and having the opportunity to make a good decision on it, whatever it may be!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
This right here. Sell the Mays, buy a nicely-centered 5 to replace it, and pocket the difference.
a regular 6 and a center 5 , difference might not be that much
great centering carry a huge premium.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:27 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

This is and has been an under valued card for a long time. He is the last of the most iconic players still living. A well centered 6 will have a home in the market no matter the boom happening now. However, I have to agree that selling and buying a nice looking lower grade might be a reasonable compromise.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:47 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Agree
Quote:
Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Matt L

Quote:
I got a PSA 4 I’d love to upgrade. Let me know if you want to go this route!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:19 PM

Default Sell my 52T Mays?

I would not sell even in this market. This card is truly iconic and people are sleeping on its potential even after the run up it’s had. Furthermore a centered copy is very hard to find for this particular card and a centered 6 should be well north of 30k easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by investinrookies; 02-08-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:38 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
I think really higher end stuff iconic rookie grade 6+ will eventually hard to find unless paying ridiculously high bin now. When modern collectors diversify some of the asset into iconic vintage. Those will be ultra blue chip long hold
Old 02-08-2021, 09:14 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
I think really higher end stuff iconic rookie grade 6+ will eventually hard to find unless paying ridiculously high bin now. When modern collectors diversify some of the asset into iconic vintage. Those will be ultra blue chip long hold
Agree. Keep it.

Not the same thing, but a lesson learned. A few years ago I bought 2 ounces of rhodium for $775 each. I later sold one on ebay for a net profit of about a hundred and fifty bucks, and about a year ago traded the other one for 4 ounces of platinum, worth a little under $4,000.

Today, two ounces of rhodium are worth $38,000.00. Point is, when you have a rare, quality commodity, keep it. Someday the value of the 1952 Mays will more closely approach the 1952 Mantle, and the value of your card could easily get into 6 figures. Granted, the '52 Mantle is a high number, but it is also a double print. Career-wise, I would take Mays over Mantle personally and so would a lot of other people. Since you say you don't need the money, and the card will obviously always be worth way more than what you paid for it, just keep it and enjoy the ride.

If you sell it you could have serious rhodium-like regrets. If you keep it you will always have a great card with no regrets.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:51 PM
Al Stein

If you are looking at your card as an investment then you should sell. You are obviously worried about its future value. If that is keeping you up at night, it is a sign that it is too much risk for you and time to cash in.

I personally feel it is a good time to sell. Post covid, the demand for cards will drop as people find other things to do. Longer term I have concerns whether collecting old cardboard will be as popular for the younger generations and on a larger scale whether baseball itself will be as popular a game as it is now.

Having said all that, if you sent me a PM that you wanted to sell me that card today, I would figure out a way to stitch together the funds to buy it from you. After all there are only so many dead centered 52 Topps Mays cards out there and the collector in me would overrule my investor's logic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2021, 10:09 PM

Default Sell...and upgrade to a 7

Compare any 52T graded version of Mays to Micks and you'll see all the potential. As new money enters the market from future relief funding, higher salaries pushed up by a rise in minimum wage, retirees swimming in retirement cash from double digit market returns over the past several years, and a rational market movement for greater equality in Mays card's values aligned to Micks, there is so much opportunity for a surge in this card's value.

Another point of view is to sell and actually upgrade.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:12 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

No one (except by accident) can time the market perfectly or know when the peak is for a card or stock or anything, so don't concern yourself with that type of exactitude. As Salvador Dali said, "Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it."
Old 02-09-2021, 12:38 AM
J0hn H@rper

Even if the market does burst soon, it may be less likely that something like your Mays would lose anywhere close to the 80% that you fear. It's naturally a blue chip type holding.

What seems more like a possible bubble issue in the making is back page stuff like 1988 Fleer Magic Johnson PSA 9s selling for $250 now. A $15 card a year ago. That seems more like irrational panic buying that can lead to highly inflated prices that eventually plummet from the peaks
Old 02-09-2021, 01:09 AM
octavio ranzola

Keep it never ever sell it .take my advice
Old 02-09-2021, 03:31 AM
Lonnie Nagel

If you dont do anything else - Spend the $ and get that thing in a PSA Holder - If for nothing else - Just to keep it safe(r). Accidents happen -
Old 02-09-2021, 05:02 AM
J@son Per1

Another PSA2 sold for over $5,900 on the bay last night. That is 4x what I paid for mine back in November. It’s hard to not want to sell at those prices but then I wouldn’t have a ‘52 Topps Mays card. Mays cards in general are still 3x or more less expensive than the comparable Mantle in most years after ‘52. The ‘52 is still probably 5x to 6x less expensive (est) so I guess I’ll hang on.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:08 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I disagree; when a player of Mays’s caliber dies, there is an extensive amount of positive media coverage that exposes people who otherwise wouldn’t be as aware of that player’s accomplishments. When Tom Seaver died, after reading some of the press coverage, I nearly went and picked up a couple cards of his (I couldn’t find a signed 1987 Topps at a reasonable price). I wouldn’t have looked into his cards if it hadn’t been for the attention he got, and he had been in declining health for a while, so it wasn’t really a shock.
Again, temporary spikes - yes. Did Mantle's card prices double when he died? Did anything like that happen for Ted Williams? No. I'm simply saying that the perceived effect of the death is less in my estimation than some people make it out to be. Most of the time significant increases in card values are attributable to other things.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

I sold mine in early 2020 and have regretted it ever since. It's got nothing to do with the money I left on the table by selling before the boom. It's the sadness of knowing what a great card I had, and that I can never replace it. Anything less than what I had feels like a cheap knockoff. Even with the market losing its mind lately, when you're talking about your favorite card, leave money out of the equation.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Again, temporary spikes - yes. Did Mantle's card prices double when he died? Did anything like that happen for Ted Williams? No. I'm simply saying that the perceived effect of the death is less in my estimation than some people make it out to be. Most of the time significant increases in card values are attributable to other things.

Didnt even happen for Berra. Who among his jokes, was the captain of the yankee ship, and very under rated

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-09-2021 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Didnt even happen for Berra.
True. Berra has always puzzled me in that the baseball establishment seems to value him more like a clown prince than a 3 time MVP with 10 World Series rings...
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We are all facing the same decisions right now and there is no right answer (except of course our wives' standard answer to any question about cards: "Sell it all!"). About all I can add at this point is that I didn't start collecting 45+ years ago as an investment and I don't collect now to make money, I collect because I enjoy it. If my enjoyable little pastime happens to be part of my investment portfolio for retirement in 10-15 years from now, fantastic. If not, I still had a blast playing with my cards and BSing with my friends about it.

Burdick wrote that a card collection is "a magic carpet that takes you away from work-a-day cares to havens of relaxing quietude where you can relive the pleasures and adventures of a past day—brought to life in vivid picture and prose." Good to keep in mind these days.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-09-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:00 AM

Always try to buy many extras off the cards you like in lower condition, you can sell the lower grades off when prices go up and keep the nice examples its a win win