NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Al

Default GU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Al,
It was more certain mods pushing the better posters away and not arguments between collectors.
Brock,
You are probably right but with this forum I believe our Moderators will always be on top of it more as has been already seen I.E. locking threads,ban a member if its getting to out of hand etc. I also believe our moderators dont have an ax to grind when it comes to GU items. All I was asking is Do make it a Sub-Forum so the problem (if one occurs) or arguements dont have to get people involved if one wishes just to stick to their items that they have a passion for.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Al

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageYankees View Post
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. Long time reader of the forum, glad to be a part of it now. I would like to see a game used section but like many others have said before me, I think it should be pre 1980 or 1985. More of a vintage game used forum. That's just my two cents. Looking forward to being a part of the forum here!
Vintageyankees welcome to the forum.

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
if we build it they will (might?) come.
That would be the biggest reason I could think of for adding a GU section to the existing board. Especially if the current preferred gathering place (GUU) is not accepting new registrants or shedding large numbers active posters. There will always be inner circles and exclusive groups of experienced collectors telling war stories and hoarding knowledge, but there needs to also be a place for the less-experienced to gather, ask questions, and build their base of knowledge so that someday they too can be considered experienced collectors. Hopefully there will also be a number of the experienced collectors chiming in with the correct answers to the newbie questions, but before that can happen, there needs to be a place for the questions to be asked.

Whether/how to split the subforum between current and vintage GU items could be the first topic of discussion (and first argument-starter ).
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Whether/how to split the subforum between current and vintage GU items could be the first topic of discussion (and first argument-starter ).
I am obviously shooting in the dark here but from what I have been reading there might be a Pre-1990 section and a Post-1990 section? A generation is generally considered 20 yrs so the vintage would be at least a generation old. Just a thought but I will leave it up to the folks that will be participating to give some guidance on sub'ing the sub-forum, if it's instituted.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I love the G/U idea and would fully support it. Just FWIW, here are my votes...

Create a Game-Used Forum - YES
Make it a sub-forum - YES
Split the sub-forum between Modern and Vintage - YES

The only area in which I might differ is the timing of the Modern and Vintage cut-off period. I believe that pre-1980 and post 1980 would be the most logical split. Perhaps Leon can conduct a poll (once the initial feedback is digested).

Thanks for the opportunity to comment!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Agreed (on your argument-starter comment ). I would love to see a separate GU forum for new stuff, like jerseys and bats, simply to get that stuff out of the memorabilia discussions so that it would not clutter up the vintage.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
I'd like to see a GU Forum.
I vote no. I fail to see the relevance of a sports memorabilia message board having a forum about Georgetown University.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Dave Grob

Default Vintage Game Used Uniforms

I believe that any and all efforts to create and maintain forums or venues for the responsible and informed discussion of vintage game used uniforms should be encouraged.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com
Old 08-28-2012, 01:34 PM

I am a new Net54 member who has been active on GameUsedUniverse for many years (username "Matt"). I would love to see a gameused section here as though I love GUU, the topics lean heavily to modern players on that site. I have focused my collecting on vintage game used items the last few years and would think that Net54 is a natural place for more discussions of this type.

There is much to discuss and learn as collectors try to understand the proper tagging and branding of vintage jerseys and bats, and the stakes are often quite high as we consider players like Williams, Robinson, Mays, etc. Often I have found enlightening, alternate images from period memoriabilia which reveal bat types, uniform construction, etc.

Thanks,
Matt Miller
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Dan Bretta

I am for the subforum idea...I have no opinion on a split of that forum and think it should be left to a vote of people who will participate there.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM

I don't have a problem having it for all years. Non gu people may not realize a genuine gu Brett Favre jersey or Peyton Manning helmet is limited in population to rare. Modern doesn't automatically mean plentiful and mass produced.

Also, the vintage stuff may be too limited in population (active auctions) to fill an entire section.

Just my thoughts, not my rules.

Last edited by drc; 08-28-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
I believe that any and all efforts to create and maintain forums or venues for the responsible and informed discussion of vintage game used uniforms should be encouraged.

Dave Grob
DaveGrob1@aol.com

Thanks for the feedback Dave. I think what is going to happen is we are going to make a Game Used sub-forum under our memorabilia forum umbrella. And under the game used sub forum we are going to have vintage and new. Vintage will be pre-1980 and new will be 1980 - newer. Those are the cut offs for many of the card venues so it makes sense to do it with those years. Also, that seems to be in keeping with the prevailing thoughts I have read. The icon that now says "Memorabilia Forum" will be changed.......it will say "Memorabilia" then right under that it will say "Autographs" and right under that it will say "Game Used". If we take out the word "forum" then we are only adding one additional word. If I don't hear of any major complaints or issues then that will be done in the next few days. This solution seems like a good middle ground to not totally break out separate forums while addressing the vintage vs new dilemma.

Again, I realize this won't please everyone. Several folks don't want the section at all. Most folks do want it. In each of the other things we have done on the board, in the way of changes, there have been very few negatives come about from them. I believe this will be the same....but am open to hearing other views before we institute it. I wouldn't ever want this place to become stagnant. I don't think it has....

Dan- edited to add....>I was typing while you were. If you want to do a poll of the GU forum years in sub forums that is fine. Makes no difference to me. I am one of those that will make a decision instead of waiting for someone else to . I didn't mean to step on your toes.

Last edited by Leon; 08-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default Game Used forum

This cannot be an easy decision. Not everyone will be pleased with it.

However, I am sure the best interest of the forum will be the ultimate factor.

It is understandable that a collector wishes to show off their newly acquired or long kept memorabilia. if we keep in mind the overall benefit of posting these objects, it will yield better return in interest, answers and knowledge.

I would caution that keeping the posts limited to one sport or one category will diminish participation (as Leon mentioned) and the end to an active discussion.

The constant emphasis of "how much is it worth" was part of the ruin of Game Used Universe. I would hope that senior members here would encourage learning and value based on other principles.

Good luck.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ΨΝ

I think it could be a great addition, but it has to be vintage. Take a look at GUU. Half the posts are guys showing off another Robinson Cano or Joey Votto bat that was used two weeks prior. It seems like 95% or more of the posts on GUU relate to stuff that has been used within the past 10 years. Modern stuff would really clog up an otherwise great idea.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
I think it could be a great addition, but it has to be vintage. Take a look at GUU. Half the posts are guys showing off another Robinson Cano or Joey Votto bat that was used two weeks prior. It seems like 95% or more of the posts on GUU relate to stuff that has been used within the past 10 years. Modern stuff would really clog up an otherwise great idea.
Precisely why the proposal being seriously looked at, and probably instituted in the next 48 hours, is to split the Game Used section between pre-1980 and 1980 & newer. So far I see, and have heard, no real downside to giving it a try. If it gets a few more folks interested in other aspects of our hobby it would be great. Also, as said many times, there is quite a bit of cross-pollination (if you will) in our sports hobbies. Still listening.....
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Greg

If 1980 is the cut-off, you'll have durene jerseys being posted with the modern stuff. That's just wrong. I vote for a 1990 cut-off.

Last edited by otismalibu; 08-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Brendan Mullen

Yes!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
If 1980 is the cut-off, you'll have durene jerseys being posted with the modern stuff. That's just wrong. I vote for a 1990 cut-off.
Interesting, the variety of proposed cut-off dates. To pre-war vintage collectors, even the stuff from the '80s might be considered uninteresting.

I guess some (most?) memorabilia collectors collect by 'type', as opposed to era, and 'vintage' doesn't mean the same thing as it does for card collectors...except for me and a few others.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Interesting, the variety of proposed cut-off dates. To pre-war vintage collectors, even the stuff from the '80s might be considered uninteresting.

I guess some (most?) memorabilia collectors collect by 'type', as opposed to era, and 'vintage' doesn't mean the same thing as it does for card collectors...except for me and a few others.
Scott -- 1980 is a common cutoff for bat collectors, because that's when H&B changed its labeling to the "modern" center brand.

Greg
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default so

So now there are Game Used portions of the board. There is also a Game Used BST forum. We can change the dating of each forum if and when that is required. Hopefully this will expand the forum in a positive fashion. Of course the same anonymity, privacy and all other rules apply to those sections as the rest of Net54baseball. Also, those Game Used areas will be for all sports not just baseball, as are some of the other forums (especially the memorabilia one). I have asked Brian M. to make a wording change to the Memorabilia icon on each page to include the words Autograph and Game Used.....so folks will know. Hopefully this will enhance the board in a positive manner and get more folks to collecting different areas of our hobby. best regards
Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Al

Leon,
If you build it they will come!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Brock

I made a post over on GUU telling people about the new section and to try to get others to join, because I know alot of members there probably have not heard about net54. Hopefully the mods don't get rid of it.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Mike Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I made a post over on GUU telling people about the new section and to try to get others to join, because I know alot of members there probably have not heard about net54. Hopefully the mods don't get rid of it.
That should be enough to get you banned over there. Fortunately for you I don't think anyone is minding the store over there.

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
That should be enough to get you banned over there. Fortunately for you I don't think anyone is minding the store over there.
Well they deleted it, just proves more they don't care about the people on the forum.