NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Should I pick up these silks?

Hi Guys:

NOT my area of expertise. I can pick up the below silks. Should I? Anything good here? Assume all are without backs. I have no idea of value.

Any info appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silks.jpg (64.0 KB, 699 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

If you like them and the price is right, sure why not? Some people like them, some don't.

They are S74s. They come in 2 different sizes. The smaller ones would have originally came with backing, but many no longer remain like that. The larger ones come in different colors. They were folded in half when put into packs, so that's why you see that. Sometimes you'll see a lot of fraying at the tops and bottoms, these look pretty solid. The best name there I think is Bresnahan, but he looks to be in a little lower condition, unfortunately. I think the rest are pretty much commons, unless I'm missing one.

It looks like past sold examples on ebay start around $20 for the junkers, then float up to around $50+ for the commons I'd say. Somewhere in(or under) that range I'd be comfortable with in regards to a bulk deal. I know that's broad, but price is hard to say when it's not my money.

Last edited by oldeboo; 12-16-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Ron Rice

Default Silks

You have an opportunity there. The colored silks look pretty nice. The white silks aren't worth much without the backs attached. Contact me privately for more details.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:09 PM
Fred

If the price is right, why not. If you don't like them and you get them at the right price you can always flip'em to somebody that appreciates them.

I have a few. The colored ones are neat but I like the white ones with the backing (a little tougher to find the silks with the backings).
Old 12-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Hank Thomas

Those are great. I've always loved the silks-S81s in particular, but S74s as well.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:47 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Guys:

NOT my area of expertise. I can pick up the below silks. Should I? Anything good here? Assume all are without backs. I have no idea of value.

Any info appreciated
Nice. Assortment in general. They are missing backs so would not spend a ton on them. Also if you like them graded, SGG will gladly upcharge you $20 a piece above their normal grading charge. LMAO
Old 12-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Todd Schultz

I might have an interest in one or more of the colored silks, other than Bresnahan. I would need to see larger scans, but they seem to be in pretty good shape.

Don't have them graded, if you were considering it.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Guys:

Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Joe M.

Some of the white ones could have the backs. You would have to see them. I had the Detroit set at one time. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hi Guys:

Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!
The price is the hard part, especially if you need a little meat left on the bone. Generally speaking, they don't go as high as other segments go. Of course there are some big HOF'ers that do, as well as some rare backs, but they pale in comparison to cards. There are a lot of folks that collect, buy and sell them so it won't be an issue there. It's all about the price. Some internet searching should guide you a little bit. Good luck

Old 12-19-2020, 11:10 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hi Guys: Thanks for all your comments. Now all I have to do is figure out the "right price" you all are mentioning for the silks and see if the seller agrees!
What do they want for them? Unless it's something I'm dying to have, I always figure it's up to the seller to come up with the price they want, and won't play the "make me an offer" game on the assumption the seller will just take my offer and then sell to someone else for five dollars more.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:29 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The price is the hard part, especially if you need a little meat left on the bone. Generally speaking, they don't go as high as other segments go. Of course there are some big HOF'ers that do, as well as some rare backs, but they pale in comparison to cards. There are a lot of folks that collect, buy and sell them so it won't be an issue there. It's all about the price. Some internet searching should guide you a little bit. Good luck

Leon:

Thanks for reply. I have had several PM's with offers regarding these so it does seem there is pretty good interest in them.

I will try to obtain them then decide what I'll do. They may head to an auction house. Not sure yet.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:59 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Leon:

Thanks for reply. I have had several PM's with offers regarding these so it does seem there is pretty good interest in them.

I will try to obtain them then decide what I'll do. They may head to an auction house. Not sure yet.
Fred,
I would keep my expectations low for any kind of auction bonanza on these. For a lot of one HOFer and 21 commons, I'd guess a high bid somewhere around $500-$600, from which they will deduct a consignor's fee. Anybody else want to hazard a number? Good luck with them.
Hank
Old 12-21-2020, 09:58 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default I’m a fan of S74s

I’ve always liked the s74 silks, especially the whites, but without the paper backs I’d pass. I’ve never bought them without the backs, they just don’t seem “whole”.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:51 PM
Alex Tymchuk

Default s74 silks

Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680, colored SGC5 Cy Young $690 (I would take 5 more at that price).... I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.

Last edited by Alexcards; 12-23-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:02 PM
Alex Tymchuk

Default s74 silks

Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680. I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5264.jpg (7.1 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5265.jpg (7.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5266.jpg (7.6 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5267.jpg (7.6 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_5268.jpg (7.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 12-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Chris Counts

I think the color ones are sleepers. It seems like most of what's available is from the black and white set ...

Last edited by Chris Counts; 12-24-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:18 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Fred,
I would keep my expectations low for any kind of auction bonanza on these. For a lot of one HOFer and 21 commons, I'd guess a high bid somewhere around $500-$600, from which they will deduct a consignor's fee. Anybody else want to hazard a number? Good luck with them.
Hank
If you don’t have Cobbs in the group forget an auction house joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-24-2020, 10:37 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Fred,
Hank
I agree with Hank on the auction aspect. Although my guess is probably closer to $750.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:57 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcards View Post
Some really strong prices on S74 silks in this past Heritage auction... Cobb SGC3 / Turkey Red Back White went for $1500 (still think this is low), SGC4 colored Cobb $1860, colored Walter Johnson SGC5.5 $1380, colored Mathewson SGC6 $1680. I think there is real value and upside to these silks even at these higher prices.
Wow! I had no idea the S74s had moved this much since I was paying attention to them. When I auctioned my set of six different WaJo colored silks about ten years ago, I think I got about $600 for the lot of them. I thought that was ridiculously low at the time, and now I know it was! I guess they're not under the radar any more! B-18s to follow suit?
Old 12-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Wow! I had no idea the S74s had moved this much since I was paying attention to them. When I auctioned my set of six different WaJo colored silks about ten years ago, I think I got about $600 for the lot of them. I thought that was ridiculously low at the time, and now I know it was! I guess they're not under the radar any more! B-18s to follow suit?
Of course, the Heritage examples are in really great condition. I wonder if the TPGs can tell if loose threads have been cut off S74s?
Old 12-31-2020, 11:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon:

It is a small but fervent group of silk collectors. I have never had any issue selling them. But from what I remember, I bought a few large groups and paid a bit strong. I don't think I ended up that great LOL....

Any update? These kinds of things are fun.

Last edited by Leon; 12-31-2020 at 11:39 AM.