NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2020, 04:28 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Has anyone seen this one? Attachment 420922
Never ... that is FANTASTIC! Super cool and in great condition
Old 10-06-2020, 05:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree... That Tigers pennant is fantastic. I have never seen one from that series with an animal mascot. It is always an image of a Player.

Uber rare and super unique!

Last edited by perezfan; 10-06-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Marc

Really nice Tigers pennant. Looks great.

I just framed my Giants pennant from the series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants grommet framed.jpg (35.1 KB, 370 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Really nice Tigers pennant. Looks great.

I just framed my Giants pennant from the series.
Looks fantastic Marc!
Old 10-06-2020, 06:56 PM
Marc

Thanks again, Rob, for making it available. I think I owe you a few beers.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
He told me he doesn't end auctions early.

Translation: I didn't offer $1250.

LOL
Because eBay allows this now - can make offers even when seller doesn’t have the Make Offer option - it “forces” you to play along. Personally, I like the auctions, they are exciting. But now there’s no guarantee that it goes the distance, if other offers are being made. (Actually even before you could make offers, and there were only auctions, items I’d be following would sometimes vanish and then pop up in live auctions a couple months later .... one auction house in particular that isn’t too far from me.)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-06-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I’ve never seen that Tigers pennant. That’s definitely a new one to add to the list
Old 10-07-2020, 06:39 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
All right... we need a confession here.

Who got the seller of the oversized teens Pirates pennant to end his auction and sell it outright? That was the best pennant to hit eBay in a loooong time.
Link?
Old 10-07-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Link?
I’ll have it in a couple days.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I’ll have it in a couple days.
The pennant or the link?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
The pennant or the link?
Both! Actually here’s a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CF583CF-2EA1-46D7-9B77-2B10F7587A54.jpg (14.1 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-07-2020 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:58 PM
Rob

Heavy Hitter!
Old 10-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Marc

This (not mine) is for sale on ebay. I guess this is what happens when you try to dry clean a pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l16001.jpg (76.0 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (73.0 KB, 320 views)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:51 PM

Came a day early. KB might have a better idea but my guess is that these are from Chicago Pennant Co. and are pre-1910. Perhaps the first “series” of pennants where a single company made a general style pennant for multiple teams. ... It appears that silk screening became commercial sometime between 1907-1911. It would seem to be that if it existed, it would have been preferred to simplify things. Most of these pennants have the same batter graphic, but they were drawn and cut by hand in leather, and then details were burned in with a heated tool. Same general batter graphic but considerable variability. Someone’s job was to make these painstakingly one at a time. And I think without screenprinting, leather was the only real option. These are all pure wool? with the feel of a heavy army blanket. Moths love these, my other two have some small holes.

Also noteworthy is the size ... 13” by 42”. Extra extra large. The three I have are all different size, White Sox is 13” by 39” and Cubs is 15” by 42.5”. Bizarre. They weren’t trimmed because of the reinforced edges.

Additionally I have seen this for Red Sox, Cubs with inverted colors (compared to mine), and “Pittsburgh” (presumably Pirates). But the Holy Grail from this set is the Tigers (I don’t have it) as it has a leather Tiger head. Mark has this and so does Jeff (he posted it last week here) ... . I’ll go so far to say that the Tigers is the single best pennant in existence. Optimal combination of beauty, rarity, workmanship, and age.

Anyway here’s a pic, I already made a custom fitting holder. This was kept in a vault somewhere, barely anything but a couple minuscule nips in the wool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0393788D-C7F2-4463-9263-232C1F36A005.jpg (19.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg BBD7229F-EA1F-4245-B985-442F409D563D.jpg (20.8 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-08-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
This (not mine) is for sale on ebay. I guess this is what happens when you try to dry clean a pennant.
Not to mention that the dry cleaner pinned a tag to it! Ugh!
Old 10-08-2020, 06:21 PM

As a follow up to the earlier post, I would guess that the oldest series thst was screenprinted are the “B.B.C.” pennants. I think Mark said there was a huge auction of multiple teams some years ago.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:53 PM
Rob

Beautiful pennant, Greg!
Old 10-09-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Came a day early. KB might have a better idea but my guess is that these are from Chicago Pennant Co. and are pre-1910. Perhaps the first “series” of pennants where a single company made a general style pennant for multiple teams. ... It appears that silk screening became commercial sometime between 1907-1911. It would seem to be that if it existed, it would have been preferred to simplify things. Most of these pennants have the same batter graphic, but they were drawn and cut by hand in leather, and then details were burned in with a heated tool. Same general batter graphic but considerable variability. Someone’s job was to make these painstakingly one at a time. And I think without screenprinting, leather was the only real option. These are all pure wool? with the feel of a heavy army blanket. Moths love these, my other two have some small holes.

Also noteworthy is the size ... 13” by 42”. Extra extra large. The three I have are all different size, White Sox is 13” by 39” and Cubs is 15” by 42.5”. Bizarre. They weren’t trimmed because of the reinforced edges.

Additionally I have seen this for Red Sox, Cubs with inverted colors (compared to mine), and “Pittsburgh” (presumably Pirates). But the Holy Grail from this set is the Tigers (I don’t have it) as it has a leather Tiger head. Mark has this and so does Jeff (he posted it last week here) ... . I’ll go so far to say that the Tigers is the single best pennant in existence. Optimal combination of beauty, rarity, workmanship, and age.

Anyway here’s a pic, I already made a custom fitting holder. This was kept in a vault somewhere, barely anything but a couple minuscule nips in the wool.
Pretty sure this wasn't made by Chipenco. They never, to my knowledge, made pro sports pennants during their seven decade run; and, they always sewed a label on the reverse with their name on it.

I'd love to see a library of the other pennants from this series if anyone can easily post one...?

You really have to appreciate the work that went into these. These two-piece with border pennants must've taken forever to make. I'll always be a sucker for chevron tipped tassels; especially if they're two-color.

The "B.B.C." series is also quite interesting; even if screen printed. Did they ever make a Brooklyn one??
Old 10-09-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Pretty sure this wasn't made by Chipenco. They never, to my knowledge, made pro sports pennants during their seven decade run; and, they always sewed a label on the reverse with their name on it.

I'd love to see a library of the other pennants from this series if anyone can easily post one...?

You really have to appreciate the work that went into these. These two-piece with border pennants must've taken forever to make. I'll always be a sucker for chevron tipped tassels; especially if they're two-color.

The "B.B.C." series is also quite interesting; even if screen printed. Did they ever make a Brooklyn one??
Here’s a pic of my other two, under the mirror. Have never seen a Brooklyn B.B.C. pennant! Also have not seen Yankees. For that matter ... anyone ever seen an oversized NYY pennant?

Last edited by thetahat; 10-09-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:23 PM

New pickup, only exciting to me, these are otherwise dull pennants. Trench Phillies pennant on gray felt. Don’t know of anotger Trench pennant on gray. (Not toned, it’s the true color.) Wondering if there are any other colors I’m missing ... maybe maroon? Anyone got one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 883EAEEA-05D0-4A73-9049-AF89CB991222.jpg (13.2 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 154A9550-2479-40AD-9918-8DB8D6C01779.jpg (15.0 KB, 287 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-11-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
New pickup, only exciting to me, these are otherwise dull pennants. Trench Phillies pennant on gray felt. Don’t know of anotger Trench pennant on gray. (Not toned, it’s the true color.) Wondering if there are any other colors I’m missing ... maybe maroon? Anyone got one?
What years do those date to? Most of the Giants pennants that were done in that many colors are a little more....er,....interesting.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
What years do those date to? Most of the Giants pennants that were done in that many colors are a little more....er,....interesting.
The ones pictured are late 1950s to mid/late 1960s, based on the little baseball trademark on a couple of them. This logo dated to the early 50s though, there are still many more variations that involve the shading of the cap. The white one is from 1960-61 when they briefly used print with a velvet like texture to it. (Many 1960 team picture pennants have this.)

I find it interesting that back then, they made the same pennant designs in so many different colors, including those that were not team colors.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:10 AM
Rob

Quote:
The ones pictured are late 1950s to mid/late 1960s, based on the little baseball trademark on a couple of them. This logo dated to the early 50s though, there are still many more variations that involve the shading of the cap. The white one is from 1960-61 when they briefly used print with a velvet like texture to it. (Many 1960 team picture pennants have this.)

I find it interesting that back then, they made the same pennant designs in so many different colors, including those that were not team colors.
Is it a “little baseball trademark” or is it the SportService “SS” that Kyle identified?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:42 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks like the "SS" Sports Service logo.

I can attest to the fact that we (as kids) got one of these Phillies Pennants at Crosley Field between the years 1968 - 69.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Correct, and that’s great info, Mark. I have a pennant with the same cap logo, same font letters, and the 1969 trademark. ... Kyle did a great job with the trademark history, it provides us with a way to identify “series” of pennants. The “TMC” pennants are almost entirely stadium pennants from presumably 1956-1959 as they include the Ebbets and Polo Grounds. I don’t know of any other team besides Phillies and Senators I that has a TMC pennant without their ballpark graphic.

Last edited by thetahat; 10-12-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:39 PM
Rob

Sold for $625...I offered $587....was gonna do a Rob Goulet "spine transplant."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (80.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 10-15-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I offered $525. Fantastic colors. These pennants fade if you put it under a lightbulb for a half hour. We will either never see this ever again or we will see 100 of these in exact same condition.

Secondly ... I wonder which company makes these. I think it’s the same maker as the one who makes the mid 50s WS pennants and also the Colts NYG NFL Championship game. You can tell by the unique spine ...
Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Rob

Quote:

Secondly ... I wonder which company makes these. I think it’s the same maker as the one who makes the mid 50s WS pennants and also the Colts NYG NFL Championship game. You can tell by the unique spine ...
Definitely the same outfit that made this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2800.jpg (79.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 10-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Rob

Then again, the bridge and the hills were taken from the Giants' letterhead, so maybe not the same outfit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (77.1 KB, 239 views)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
I was thinking of you when I saw this one but figured the condition to asking price ratio was way too far off. The spine transplant would not have been a bad idea, especially if you framed it.

Has anyone ever tried to erase or other wise remove pencil writing on a pennant? I usually pass on pennants that have been written on but I do have a couple I'm tempted to experiment with.

PS...Who offers $587? $575 sure. $590 ok. $587? LOL

Last edited by Fballguy; 10-15-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 AM
Rob

Quote:

PS...Who offers $587? $575 sure. $590 ok. $587? LOL
$587 + $12.95 shipping. Do the math.

With another $42(?) in tax, it’s all I could justify.....even though I’m now wishing I had gotten it.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 AM
Rob

Quote:
$587 + $12.95 shipping. Do the math.

With another $42(?) in tax, it’s all I could justify.....even though I’m now wishing I had gotten it.
I hear you...Just teasing. I do the same thing. The tax really sucks!
Old 10-16-2020, 06:00 PM

So this is interesting, another storage find, this one looks like early 60s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...fiLii&LH_BIN=1

The seller does himself a disservice by showing the box, he’s got a 0.00% chance of getting anything near what he’s asking now. Will be lucky to get $10 apiece. Anyway, what strikes me is that the quality of these pennants (he has a few other teams and all appear to be 3/4 size) is not that great. In fact had I not seen the Trench box I’d think they were knockoffs. Look at the printing ... just looks blotchy to me. This is evidence that what might look like a knockoff might not be.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM
Marc

Wow! It is kind of cool to see the box. Maybe Kyle can get it from the seller.

Looks like he has Angels and Red Sox for sale thus far, along with KC.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Wow! It is kind of cool to see the box. Maybe Kyle can get it from the seller.

Looks like he has Angels and Red Sox for sale thus far, along with KC.
It appears that these are the only teams in the box, many of the same
Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Marc

Sent to Cleveland via Greyhound.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 PM
Rob

Funny that I can’t pull the trigger on $600 and then a Net54 member offers me a card for....

wait for it......

$28K

Who does he think I am???? Mark Steinberg?????
Old 10-21-2020, 04:32 PM

I have a few of these already but the condition made this too hard to pass up. I love the cloth pennants and these are hard to find without the blue getting dull or faded, they are like the ‘71 Topps of pennants. ... Still looking for the version that says “World & National League Champs”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01404513-884A-4B28-B6F8-2753BF76BA66.jpg (21.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 10-21-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
I have a few of these already but the condition made this too hard to pass up. I love the cloth pennants and these are hard to find without the blue getting dull or faded, they are like the ‘71 Topps of pennants. ... Still looking for the version that says “World & National League Champs”.

Here you go.

https://ebay.us/5Ijzp0
Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Good find Rob....

I never knew they made that one in brown felt!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
LOL I did see that!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:37 PM
Rob

Quote:
Good find Rob....

I never knew they made that one in brown felt!
I believe that's what's referred to as a "wall hanger" in pennant collecting jargon.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yeah... based on the color and scattered moth bites, it looks like it was "wall hanging" for at least half a century.

Last edited by perezfan; 10-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah... based on the color and scattered moth bites, it looks like it was "wall hanging" for at least half a century.
You know what, though? Somebody loved it. I’ll imagine that a boy went to Ebbets with his dad who bought this for him and it gave him great memories. And the boy grew up and kept hanging it up - dorm room, first house, etc. Then gave it to his son. Etc etc ... This one I bought got no love, got shoved in a drawer for 65 years. I think maybe I bought the wrong one.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yep... no doubt about it... We/I have devolved into pennant snobs.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Some of you have! I take what I can get.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Rick

Quote:
After seeing Greg buy his 4th 1955 NL Champs pennant, after earlier saying he was going to hold off and wait for a World and NL Champions version, another word than "snobs" may come to mind.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
After seeing Greg buy his 4th 1955 NL Champs pennant, after earlier saying he was going to hold off and wait for a World and NL Champions version, another word than "snobs" may come to mind.
LOL oh c’mon now this was a condition upgrade, my others are nice but this last one is POP 1. Or close. I’m gonna move the others soon, and most of those that I’m not displaying.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Marc

Well, Greg's post about the Dodgers pennant almost brought a tear to my eye. Just like waiting for the mail is now bringing tears to my eyes.

Here are a few recent pickups to show. Thanks to Erik for the Giants pennant. I think that the white spine/graphics version is much more difficult to find that the Orange version.

The 49ers pennant is one of those "modern" (almost 40 years old, Yikes) super-rare pennants. There is a version without the N for NFC at the end that is uncommon, but findable. This one is much more difficult. But then, as these things go, two showed up in one week. Fballguy snagged the first for a great price and made it available to me (now stuck in the mail). I managed to win this second one, and it is funky. The back is entirely white. All of the graphics are painted onto the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants circle white.jpg (34.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 49ers super bowl white N.jpg (28.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 12:48 PM
Rick

Quote:
LOL oh c’mon now this was a condition upgrade, my others are nice but this last one is POP 1. Or close. I’m gonna move the others soon, and most of those that I’m not displaying.
Hey Greg, no explanation is necessary, you can certainly buy whatever you want. Personally, I wouldn’t spend over $800 to upgrade a pennant if I already have a nice one. To me, I appreciate the history the pennant represents as well as the artistry involved in making it, so a pennant that shows gentle love is fine for me, I don’t need a mint version.

As an example, the 1947 pennant pictured below was listed on ebay with a $325 BIN (a good price IMO), but before I could hit the button, someone bought it. To me, a Jackie Robinson collector and Dodger fan, finding a dated 1947 pennant from his rookie year is at the top of my list, so I was pretty disappointed it vanished so quickly. About a week later, it reappeared on ebay from the same seller. I contacted her, and was told the buyer returned it, just saying “he didn’t like it”. She said the pennant had belonged to her grandmother, who was a huge Jackie Robinson and Brooklyn Dodger fan, and it was always displayed with pride in her home. I bought it immediately, and couldn’t be happier, as I believe these are rather scarce in any condition. If a mint version appears, I won’t be a bidder. But I understand that there are lots of different factors that drive collectors. And for me, it’s probably a little different than most of you on who are pennant collectors on this forum because I am a Dodger/Koufax/Robinson collector who occasionally buys a pennant related to them.
1947.jpg