NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2021, 06:49 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default Preferred payment methods for higher auction invoices

Seems like with the rise in prices, the average invoice amount should also be increasing. So what payment method do you like to use for high dollar auction invoices over say $5k? Personal checks take forever and seem archaic in today's world. Paypal has the fees and usually limits. Zelle has worked great for me up to $2500, but again, has limits on the amount. Wire transfers have fees.

Which method do you prefer to use and why?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-11-2021, 07:15 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Assuming you trust the auction house, I typically go with a wire. 1) fees are waived if you have a certain type of relationship with a bank, and 2) checks are archaic, and not worth waiting for it to get to the auction house.

If you are spending $20k on a card, $25-$50 for a wire seems worth saving a few days waiting for a check to clear.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Have always used a check, never a problem. I don't find it slow at all, often the items are in hand before the check even gets there.

Last edited by sb1; 10-11-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi

IT obviously depends on the Auction House and what they accept.

For me most seems to be via check. Since most auction houses do not take credit cards. and the wait is the wait.
If I am anxious to get it I will Wire them the funds but I am not in a rush most of the time.
I would prefer to use the credit cards for the rewards points. However Heritage for example charges 3% of the total price of the purchase/Buyers Premium/tax and as a result it gets expensive and is more then the value of the points.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-11-2021, 07:46 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Hi

IT obviously depends on the Auction House and what they accept.

For me most seems to be via check. Since most auction houses do not take credit cards. and the wait is the wait.
If I am anxious to get it I will Wire them the funds but I am not in a rush most of the time.
I would prefer to use the credit cards for the rewards points. However Heritage for example charges 3% of the total price of the purchase/Buyers Premium/tax and as a result it gets expensive and is more then the value of the points.
You could also do what Jeff and I did and exchange cash and cards at a Burger King parking lot.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-11-2021, 08:10 AM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Seems like with the rise in prices, the average invoice amount should also be increasing. So what payment method do you like to use for high dollar auction invoices over say $5k? Personal checks take forever and seem archaic in today's world. Paypal has the fees and usually limits. Zelle has worked great for me up to $2500, but again, has limits on the amount. Wire transfers have fees.

Which method do you prefer to use and why?
This doesn't directly answer your question but is a solution for the very, very near future. Pay w/ cryptocurrency! I can send you $1,000, $5,000, $5,000,000, any amount, transaction free to your crypto wallet in a matter of 2-3 minutes.... every time!!

This should be, and I suspect will be, an option at the larger auction houses within a year, two tops! Almost instant settlement and no fees.

Last month I won a lot at an auction and just laughed when I was walking the envelop out to my mailbox to be sent across the country. It would be deposited into a bank 1000's of mile away and take another couple of days to settle and for someone to acknowledge payment was in their account and then go through the shiping process...... PayPal, Venmo, CC and the like eliminate that time but add unneeded fees.

Looking to the future, I am!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
You could also do what Jeff and I did and exchange cash and cards at a Burger King parking lot.
That worked out well but I did not get my fries.

I always like personal sales where possible and I always like if possible to do in person meets to complete the transaction.

Always good to meet people and make connections.

Unfortunately not possible with Auction Houses (although some if close enough will allow you to pick up at there location)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Val Kehl

Jeff, you might have gotten your fries if you and Pete had done your exchange at a McDonald's parking lot.

I prefer to pay my auction invoices online via my bank account, just like I pay my utility bills, credit card statements, etc.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:26 PM
Jason Wells

Check are my preferred method. I'm in no rush to get the card in hand usually.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
This doesn't directly answer your question but is a solution for the very, very near future. Pay w/ cryptocurrency! I can send you $1,000, $5,000, $5,000,000, any amount, transaction free to your crypto wallet in a matter of 2-3 minutes.... every time!!

This should be, and I suspect will be, an option at the larger auction houses within a year, two tops! Almost instant settlement and no fees.
What is the fee for cashing it into regular currency? Still no fees?

Asking for a friend

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-11-2021, 06:02 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
What is the fee for cashing it into regular currency? Still no fees?

Asking for a friend
If you're looking to move cryptocurrency (Bitcoin mostly) into fiat currency like USD, there is certainly a fee, called gas fees. It can run a few dollars ($5-$8) or more (up to $75 in congested network times).

The thing is, you rarely ever need to turn cryptocurrency into fiat money. There are a ton of resources on the internet to learn more. I just can't wait until it's more mainstream. I'll be liquidating some of my collection in the coming weeks and one of the methods of payment will certainly be crypto - I'll include my wallet address for those completed transactions for those who like pay doing so.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:07 PM

Default preferred payment

Personal check- Trent King (and the auction house likes them too!)
Old 10-11-2021, 06:41 PM

I remember when I first did some card mail orders I taped coins to my order sheet and placed them inside a SASE.

I wonder if taping in this fashion would work nowadays with larger currency, for example $100 bills? My guess for larger purchases you would have to use an extra first class stamp.

Brian
Old 10-11-2021, 06:43 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Wait, I didn’t know Jeff did Burger King Parking lots. We did it the Scott way of using a check and cards through mail.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:54 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I prefer to pay via Bitcoin, checks, wires, in that order.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:58 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Wire and check are the only real options over $5k IMO. Crypto as well but that’s not my arena.

Credit cards with rewards might not be a horrible idea either. Does kind of suck to have to wait for a check to clear. No clue if that’s normal process or because I’m not a big time buyer at AH’s
Old 10-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Wait, I didn’t know Jeff did Burger King Parking lots. We did it the Scott way of using a check and cards through mail.
Sorry you live a little to far for me to drive.

Great transaction and interaction. Thanks

Pete and I should have met at McDonalds since they have better fries

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth