NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default Heritage Auction--What is this?

How would you classify this piece. To me it seems rebacked, but has anyone seen a similar cabinet on an original mount? Is it a second generation photo or an original? Any input would be appreciated.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...No=80002#Photo
Old 04-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

To me > it is a superb photo on an unoriginal mount. If I were buying it it wouldn't be for the "incorrect" mount it would be for the fantastic photo.

Specifically answering the question I would just classify it as an original photo.

Last edited by Leon; 04-08-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM

Is it just me or does it appear trimmed? I don't like how the trim/border rides out of the top of the picture and you can see a second strange line on the right side that makes it look like it was trimmed from something larger.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM

The description says it's 'hand trimmed.'

I agree the mount is odd and probably not original or period.

Can't comment on the originality/age of the photographic print itself without seeing it in person, though I don't anything that says it couldn't be from 1885. Overall has the look and tone of a period albumen.

While rough edges could be fixed during remounting, one thing to keep in mind is 1800s photographers sometimes handcut the prints so funky edges and off center prints are sometimes found on original/unaltered cabinets and CDVs.

Last edited by drc; 04-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM

That color/style mount was not introduced until the 1890's from everything I have seen. My guess is that it was probably on another mount and removed at a later date and then re-adhered to this one later on. If someone was trying to deceive they would be smart enough to find a sepia/light brown mount that fits the period so I think it is a 110 year old (estimate) remount.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

A fellow board member was kind enough to send me an email pointing out that this rebacked card was found in REA last year. Rob's description more accurately indicates the reback. I agree with the prior poster that the reback was not done to deceive. When it was done, however, is anyone's guess (not that it matters). As long it is in fact an albumen print it is probably from around this period. Whether it was from 1885 we will never know--it could have been printed later from the original negative and glued to this cardboard if it was done by someone other than the original photographer. Who can say for sure?

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...n/2011/23.html
Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Barry Sloate

It may have been rebacked because the original mount was badly damaged. I know it's hard to tell if that photo is first generation from a scan, but there is a good chance it is. It looks right, although the image is a little weak.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It may have been rebacked because the original mount was badly damaged. I know it's hard to tell if that photo is first generation from a scan, but there is a good chance it is. It looks right, although the image is a little weak.
Also, these items weren't of such great value back then. The owner might have just wanted a thinner piece with a darker mount, so got out a knife and got to work on it.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Years ago my grandmother took an albumen print of the family house off a 1880s cabinet card and neatly pasted it in a family photo album. Don't know how she did it, but she did it. She had two identical cabinet cards and wanted one of the images in the album. The family still has the other cabinet.

She was born in the 1890s and was a kid when scraps and scrap albums were still popular, so may have had lots of experience cutting and removing and pasting things nto albums.

Last edited by drc; 04-09-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Phil Garry

I assume that the winner of the Providence item was not one of the posters in this thread. I would consider that to be trying to deceive others into not bidding (only one bid was placed once the hidden reserve price was revealed).
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I assume that the winner of the Providence item was not one of the posters in this thread. I would consider that to be trying to deceive others into not bidding (only one bid was placed once the hidden reserve price was revealed).
I think the discussion was very unbiased and honest. But I am glad you brought this thread back up - seeing this remounted photo, which I think doesn't look so great, is a reminder to me that I shouldn't try anything similar with my '07 Pirates cabinet (and I'm sure it would be a perfect candidate for such a job, if any would be).