NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I will give you the brother-in-law price but.....

I will give you the brother in law price but....everyone else pays what they are worth. You know, one hand washes the other........

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Barry Sloate

"Mint condition" had a more informal meaning back then. Cards just had to look fresh; if they had a small imperfection it was probably overlooked.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
"Mint condition" had a more informal meaning back then. Cards just had to look fresh; if they had a small imperfection it was probably overlooked.
I agree Barry, but that being said, we have all seen quite a bit of Lionel's collection come out and everyone would have to admit they are pack fresh looking, for the most part.....but most weren't technically "mint" of course.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM

That is a great window into the hobby 50 years ago. Thanks for posting. And yeah, Lionel Carter may have been the first collector for whom condition was really important. Mint then was not necessarily mint by today's standards, but it was sometimes. I remember when his collection was sold off a few years ago, there were a lot of 8s and 9s in the '40's and '50's stuff.
JimB
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
That is a great window into the hobby 50 years ago. Thanks for posting. And yeah, Lionel Carter may have been the first collector for whom condition was really important. Mint then was not necessarily mint by today's standards, but it was sometimes. I remember when his collection was sold off a few years ago, there were a lot of 8s and 9s in the '40's and '50's stuff.
JimB
Agreed Jim. A friend and I were speaking yesterday and these documents from the 1970's and back are a window to the past that probably won't be there going forward. Nowadays, no one writes letters except for emails and they are not kept, for the most part.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Amazing that he wasn't trying to rip anyone off. Perhaps this can be posted on the BST so some of the more obvious degenerates can take a peek?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nowadays, no one writes letters except for emails and they are not kept, for the most part.
Which is why my letters from Lionel Carter are a keepsake that I will long cherish. He even included a Lionel Carter postage stamp in one of his mailings to me. I had called him and written him about the when he first acquired the T206 Plank that I had purchased in the 2007 Mastro Auction. He spent a lot of time looking through his old files trying to track down the source. I have always appreciated that.

Copies of the letters below can also be viewed on my website, which includes an audio recording of my first call with Lionel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CarterLetterPage1Edit.jpg (75.9 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg CarterLetterPage2.jpg (74.0 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg CarterStamp.JPG (24.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg CarterIndexEdit.JPG (59.3 KB, 348 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Amazing that he wasn't trying to rip anyone off. Perhaps this can be posted on the BST so some of the more obvious degenerates can take a peek?
LOL....I hear ya Jeff.....I don't mind making a buck on something as God knows I lose on a lot of stuff too....but I can't tell you how many times I see something sold in a very public venue, for market price, and then next day I see it jacked up 200%-300% or more. I mean really......

Last edited by Leon; 09-07-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Agreed Leon. Lionel Carter's cards were gorgeous, I especially remember those incredible 1938 Goudeys. But like I said, it was a different hobby back then. Always fun to look back.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Agreed Leon. Lionel Carter's cards were gorgeous, I especially remember those incredible 1938 Goudeys. But like I said, it was a different hobby back then. Always fun to look back.
Are there photos of his collection collected anywhere online?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 AM

I have several Carter collection caramel cards in my own collection and I can definitely state that "mint" to Lionel unfortunately wasn't "mint" to SGC. I think Lionel ignored back damage and sometimes corner damage as long as the image was clear, the colors bright and there weren't noticeable creases. His cards from the 30's, 40's and 50's were spectacular but his pre-war (pre-WW1) cards were not in the same category.
That said, I do treasure these cards and have sold similar cards in higher grade and kept the Carter collection cards because of the provenance.
Thanks so much leon and paul, for sharing the great letters with us.

Last edited by tbob; 09-07-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambino View Post
Are there photos of his collection collected anywhere online?
You should be able to find many photos of Carter's cards by going to the Legendary Auctions archives and finding the sale of the collection. I think it took place around 2008.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default brother in law

great window into the best of times for collecting methinks.
thanks for sharing the correspondence.
with Bob M., I have a few Lionel Carter's and love them no matter the grade.
Some are higher but i must say that the Ramly I got from you,Leon, a good while ago, is a favorite even though ole sgc gave it a fair.
best,
barry
Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Since we are on the Lionel Carter topic, I thought I would post a few from his first baseball card set, the '33 Delong that he assembled from packs. I believe he said this set is what started his baseball card obsession. He was a kid when he put this set together so the condition is not as pristine as some of his later sets, but it is still pretty nice. I am very psyched to have a hobby relic like this.
JimB
P.S. Paul, those letters are great.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
J@son M1ller

Cool cards, Jim
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Phenomenal letters, thanks so much for sharing. Imagine the going prices of cards those days -- 15 cents, or lots for $5 or $10 dollars. Brings a tear to read his line about how he felt that the money guys ruined the hobby.

Here's my one card from his collection, thanks for showing yours,
--S