NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default The Jordan 10 -- Goldin and PWCC

Howard posted this in Modern but everyone should see it. So the Jordan 10 has been dropping, and the last one sold last month in Goldin for a still impressive 233K.

According to PWCC's website, they just sold one for.... wait for it.... 840K. Sometimes, reported sales make no sense and I don't care what stupid sticker Brent put on it.

https://premierauction.pwccmarketpla...er-auction/191

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I was surprised. This one is a nicer copy - as nice as I’ve seen in a while - but I was surprised. The exquisite Jordan’s went strong as well. Too early to tell what this sale means but I’m not sure this is the new level - and might bring out some more 10s from people who bought as recently as a few weeks ago.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-18-2021, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
I was surprised. This one is a nicer copy - as nice as I’ve seen in a while - but I was surprised. The exquisite Jordan’s went strong as well. Too early to tell what this sale means but I’m not sure this is the new level - and might bring out some more 10s from people who bought as recently as a few weeks ago.
600K more than the last one? 3.5x? VERY hard to believe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:29 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As extra $600K for excellent packaging, IMO.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-18-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:33 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

That $840K jordan wasn't a perfect Jordan, the back is still slightly off center. PWCC is trying to pump those Jordan RC PSA10 back above $500k again.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
It’s it’s BS. I’m sure it was bought but with what assets? By What Person/Group of investors?

I’ve been saying it for years PWCC is not a accurate numbers as to the True Value of a Graded Card regardless of their fancy marketing.

I think this is happening so they can drive up the under cards. You would be amazed at how many people on Facebook boards believe PWCC numbers as Gospel.

PWCC has one major positive there are a lot of ignorant people with money who can’t see the forest for the trees.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Not a "regulated" transaction....

A sold the card to B and A=B!

or

A "sold" the card to B and money never exchanged but just hyped news!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Cards that were listed on eBay at "pandemic BIN prices" are just not selling any more. And every time a blue chip gets listed auction-style, it ends lower than the one that sold before it. One way people are trying to stop this decline is by reporting private sales, and I just laugh every time I see those numbers. It's obvious that they want the market to return to 2020, but it's just not going to happen - sorry! Society is opening up and people have way more options as to where they can spend their money. Are you going to take your hot stripper girlfriend to Barbados or sit in your f**king room buying cardboard all day? Have a nice summer, everybody!
Old 07-18-2021, 11:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

In my experience cards don't triple in price in three weeks, especially when the player is long since retired and the card is not scarce. ESPECIALLY in a flat to declining market.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Was bought by Nick Fiorella or 72wootwoot72 on Instagram. His rationale is comical.

Lots of others playing up the sale on social media too, feels like a pump and dump.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:55 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Society is opening up and people have way more options as to where they can spend their money. Are you going to take your hot stripper girlfriend to Barbados or sit in your f**king room buying cardboard all day? Have a nice summer, everybody!
Cardboard! I mean Barbados..

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 07-18-2021, 12:08 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Are you going to take your hot stripper girlfriend to Barbados or sit in your f**king room buying cardboard all day? Have a nice summer, everybody!
Why cant you do both?
Old 07-18-2021, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Was bought by Nick Fiorella or 72wootwoot72 on Instagram. His rationale is comical.

Lots of others playing up the sale on social media too, feels like a pump and dump.
With Ken the leader in Jordan 10s selling one for 223 three weeks ago, anyone wanting one obviously could have found one for not much more than that, if not less. Paying 3.5x that makes zero sense. Zero.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:14 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Why cant you do both?
If I invested the money I spent on strippers as a young man into Cobbs & Ruths instead I could buy a house in Barbados...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-18-2021, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
With Ken the leader in Jordan 10s selling one for 223 three weeks ago, anyone wanting one obviously could have found one for not much more than that, if not less. Paying 3.5x that makes zero sense. Zero.
In my experiences things don't always make sense.
And from Jeff's comment a pump and dump doesn't sound that far fetched.

Last edited by Leon; 07-18-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:35 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I blame the dummies who buy into this from PWCC they’re all adults who think they know it all anyways so hell let them deal with it.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:40 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I blame the dummies who buy into this from PWCC they’re all adults who think they know it all anyways so hell let them deal with it.
It's the majority of new money into the hobby...for now...we'll see if the $$$ stays? Read the article in the news about PWCC...and PSA...and this blogger and that hype machine...and that's good enough for this crowd to "invest!"

I mean how many of us are as knowledgable about the stocks we own as we are about our old cardboard????
Old 07-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
It's the majority of new money into the hobby...for now...we'll see if the $$$ stays? Read the article in the news about PWCC...and PSA...and this blogger and that hype machine...and that's good enough for this crowd to "invest!"

I mean how many of us are as knowledgable about the stocks we own as we are about our old cardboard????
Stocks trade for the most part in an efficient market and at a price over which you have no control other than to say yes or no. This is like taking a stock trading at 30 and instead of buying it at 30 offering someone 100. I don't know what these people are up to but my spider sense says no good.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:56 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Stocks trade for the most part in an efficient market and at a price over which you have no control other than to say yes or no. This is like taking a stock trading at 30 and instead of buying it at 30 offering someone 100. I don't know what these people are up to but my spider sense says no good.
I agree with you pete regarding the manipultaion of the jordan rookie. My analogy was referencing the fact that the majority of "investors" in the stock markets...aren't super educated about what they're investing in...kinda like the frenzy of new money in the hobby are just "investing" because they read it somewhere or someone suggested it.

You'd have to throw a shitload of $$$$ at high grade jordan rookies/2nd years to corner the market and create increased demand at this fake price point. A lotta time and a lotta money.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Why cant you do both?
I vote for both

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree with you pete regarding the manipultaion of the jordan rookie. My analogy was referencing the fact that the majority of "investors" in the stock markets...aren't super educated about what they're investing in...kinda like the frenzy of new money in the hobby are just "investing" because they read it somewhere or someone suggested it.

You'd have to throw a shitload of $$$$ at high grade jordan rookies/2nd years to corner the market and create increased demand at this fake price point. A lotta time and a lotta money.
Right but at least if you buy a stock you are paying what the collective wisdom of the entire world says it's worth at that given moment. You aren't paying what some unscrupulous dealer suggests you pay (I still love the guy who reviewed all his bids with Brent beforehand and ended up buying a recolored special at some staggering price) or your buddies on Twitter or what you think might push up the value of your other ones so you can dump them or whatever.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:10 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Buyer confirmed on IG for what it’s worth..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2021, 02:10 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Right but at least if you buy a stock you are paying what the collective wisdom of the entire world says it's worth at that given moment. You aren't paying what some unscrupulous dealer suggests you pay (I still love the guy who reviewed all his bids with Brent beforehand and ended up buying a recolored special at some staggering price) or your buddies on Twitter or what you think might push up the value of your other ones so you can dump them or whatever.
The Gamestop run is doing its best to change that narrative lol
Old 07-18-2021, 02:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I hear you. Well it's still true of MOST stocks and certainly large cap ones.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Dave

Quote:

Yeah, not much different then a 1000 various pump and dumps, NFT's, Crypto's, Public Offerings, and whatever else the modern unregulated financial landscape diarrhea's out into the world.

In the end a bunch of dreamers with too much money and not enough smarts end up holding the bag for a bunch of even richer then them con-artists.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

Dude also broke a record a while back for highest card ever sold when he bought a Luca Doncic. My suggestion is not to invest money with this guy. As someone once said (maybe Mark Twain or Yogi Berra), the easiest way to have a small fortune is to waste away a large fortune..... See link immediately below

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...t1wu7e5qfjvcsw

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-18-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As a previous restaurant owner it sounds like another piece of aged wisdom...

The easiest way to make a million dollars in the restaurant business is to start out with two million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Dude also broke a record a while back for highest card ever sold when he bought a Luca Doncic. My suggestion is not to invest money with this guy. As someone once said (maybe Mark Twain or Yogi Berra), the easiest way to have a small fortune is to waste away a large fortune..... See link immediately below

Old 07-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

The easiest way to make a million dollars in the restaurant business is to start out with two million.
A reporter asked a Rancher who had just won the lottery, “what are you going to do with all that money?”

The Rancher thought for a moment and said, “Well, I guess I’ll just keep ranchin’ till it’s all gone...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

That line has also been used with owning a racecar for as long as I can remember.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Yeah there was something incestuous and off about that one. Luka Doncic indeed, no disrespect intended to Luka who is quite a good young player but a LONG way from anyone knowing his place in history.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-18-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

I dunno, it only takes a few sales to skew VCP or ebay sold results or PSA auction results etc...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-18-2021, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I dunno, it only takes a few sales to skew VCP or ebay sold results or PSA auction results etc...
And then you have... wait for it.... FOMO again!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Drew W@i$e

Are rich people now wanting high end sports cards as a status symbol? Similar to Rolex’s and sports cars.

If so, good for them but bad for the average collector.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Are rich people now wanting high end sports cards as a status symbol? Similar to Rolex’s and sports cars.

Fits well with Wall St. guys buying PSA.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:05 PM
pete ullman

Quote:

wonder what this means for armpit cards like I collect????
Old 07-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Al Stein

Quote:

Great for the average collector if we can sell our cards for 30x.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2021, 07:42 PM

Default "Diddley Squat"

Quote:
wonder what this means for armpit cards like I collect????

..Diddley Squat ; the only other people who place any value on our Net54 armpit cards are the other two or three Net54 armpit card collectors.....

Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
The only explanation to me is the provenance. Being a fresh pulled and newly graded copy. Maybe the buyer trusted it wasn't altered.

Isn't there a lot of concern about altered Jordan RCs? Wasn't there a card doctor who bought up Jordan RCs, trimmed them and resubmitted to PSA?
Old 07-19-2021, 07:57 AM
Johnny MaZilli

IMO this number is not a true value for this card, sure it was bought but so what. It has been my believe it was bought by a group of investors with multiple different assets other then cash spread out amongst each other in a effort to drive up the numbers of the under cards and AH.

This is just my theory could be 100% wrong however to me fundamentally regardless of any factors mentioned above this card is not worth anywhere near their recent sale number. I’m sorry it’s just not.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-19-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Chase

Put me in the column for skeptic. With prices dropping on this and lots of other cards since April, I just do not buy it. Feels like same old BS and if I am not mistaken, this sale was one that took place on PWCC's platform too?
Old 07-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

[QUOTE=ullmandds;2124315]wonder what this means for armpit cards like I collect???? Just give them a blast of Right Guard. They will be fine.

The market opened about 700 points down this morning. Many Wall Street pundits are predicting a major correction in equities. If so, card prices should decline, especially modern basketball.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:06 AM
Johnny MaZilli

[QUOTE=Yoda;2124504]
Quote:
wonder what this means for armpit cards like I collect???? Just give them a blast of Right Guard. They will be fine.

The market opened about 700 points down this morning. Many Wall Street pundits are predicting a major correction in equities. If so, card prices should decline, especially modern basketball.
Good to your second statement John.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:10 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

[QUOTE=Yoda;2124504]
Quote:
wonder what this means for armpit cards like I collect???? Just give them a blast of Right Guard. They will be fine.

We said that in March 2020 and it went the opposite. Ive given up trying to guess what'll happen anymore
Old 07-19-2021, 11:22 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Some prices are inherently not legitimate.

It should also be noted that rich businessmen didn't become rich by overpaying by 3x. They likely are more savvy and prudent about such purchases than the average person.

Last edited by drcy; 07-19-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:41 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Some prices are inherently not legitimate.

It should also be noted that rich businessmen didn't become rich by overpaying by 3x. They likely are more savvy and prudent about such purchases than the average person.
Agree but just because you're rich doesn't mean you can't get caught up in craziness and overbid or invest in something you probably should not have.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

840K?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-19-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:33 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
840K?

Exaclty
Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...record-840000/
Old 07-19-2021, 01:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Agree but just because you're rich doesn't mean you can't get caught up in craziness and overbid or invest in something you probably should not have.
More likely to me there is some BS going on than it's a real sale where a wealthy guy was THAT stupid.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
More likely to me there is some BS going on than it's a real sale where a wealthy guy was THAT stupid.
See link above. It was exactly that.