NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Default Now that we all can take a deep breath/Unexpected Find

Posted By: Rich Klein

We need Ted and Frank to find "card-oriented" threads to put at the top of this board.

I've got one to start --

In any lot of cards you bought: Show, Store, Auctions, EBay, etc. Was there ever a surprise in that lot which made your "purchase" even more special.

Scans and stories would be nice additions as well

Regards
Rich

Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I once bought an original collection of T205/206 from a family, and made them an offer based on a cursory look at the cards. It was only after I sat down at my desk to start cataloguing them did I notice that two of the T206's had Drum backs. Those are the only two Drums I've ever found in that context.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Three or four years ago, I bought a lot about 200 T206's from a guy in New Orleans after seeing a sample of about 3-4 cards. I paid just over $10 a card and what I got was 16 HOFers, a brown Hindu, and 2 broadleaf 350's. The HOFers were guys like Willis, Marquard,...lesser names, but I was expecting commons. The cards were VG-EX to EX-Mint.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I bought a lot of memorabilia off of ebay a year or two ago because it had a snapshot photo of Connie Mack and a Golden Jubilee program. There was also "miscellaneous paper items" as the ad stated that were not shown in the picture. When I got the lot I was surprised to see a baseball certificate that was signed by Kennesaw M. Landis. I paid $5 for the whole lot.

These are the items that I was bidding on which was well worth the $5 winning bid and then some....the guy in the photo with Mack is the original owner of these items and there's a great story written on the back cover of the Golden Jubilee booklet by the guy's mother who used to live next door to the Mack's.

I was surely surprised when I opened the package and this certificate was included with a real signature of KML.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Per your request....check out my WWII story....very appropo for what's happenong on Net54.

TED Z

Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

But, not to long ago someone on the board brought up an auction that was being held in Kansas. Living in Ohio I obviously couldn't go. But, lucky for me my brother lived only 1/2 hour from the auction house and he went for me. Sad to say that my brother doesn't know about vintage baseball cards, but he did manage to buy 13 Pinkerton postcards that included a Matty, 2 Evers cards, Lajoie, Baker, I think Collins and the rest were commons. Set my brother back $25 for all of them. I guess the auction was filled with pre-war cards, but he didn't buy any because he didn't know what he was looking at. While talking to him on the phone after the auction he said that the place had about 100 unopened packs of Plow Boy tobacco. Had a ton of other Pinkerton cards as well, but they were mixed in with other things. I sure wish I could have been there - but that is just my luck. I can't complain too much since I did manage to get something out of the deal.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

What an awesome story about a different type of find -- one about baseball history and the greatest generation

Rich