NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2021, 04:26 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default Interesting Lawsuit involving PSA card

I don't recall seeing this previously, but saw this on another site and thought it was an interesting read. The card at question is modern, but the concept potentially impacts the entire card community. Thoughts?

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...eit-jordan.pdf
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Pete Sycks

Sucks for everyone involved. Losing out on $70k+ on a card is never easy

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Just read through this, doesn’t PSA also share the blame here for grading this card a 10 in the first place? Why wouldn’t Spence also tag PSA in the lawsuit as well?
Old 01-08-2021, 05:10 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

If I accurately read the complaint, the plaintiff originally demanded reimbursement ($19,999.99) and 10% per annum interest to settle the matter a few months ago. The defendant’s attorney fee and expenses will surely exceed the originally demanded amount.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:19 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Doesn't major PSA supercollector Donald Spence have enough knowledge to inspect cards he receives for signs of tampering or being counterfeit before accepting them and putting them into his set registry? I would say he shares in the blame for this situation.

If the holder is tampered with and a fake flip was inserted, I don't think PSA could be at fault.

For what it's worth, this card in PSA 10 is currently trading around $200K.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:02 PM
David

This is brutal and could be a precedent going forward I would think. I guess there is no time limit on counterfeit cards.
Whether seller knew it was fake or not, I assume this not going his way. PSA probably has nothing to do with it as it wasn’t their original grade, flip or case.

When money is involved, the scammers always rear their ugly head at the expense of fanatical collectors.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:23 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBaseball View Post
This is brutal and could be a precedent going forward I would think. I guess there is no time limit on counterfeit cards.
Whether seller knew it was fake or not, I assume this not going his way. PSA probably has nothing to do with it as it wasn’t their original grade, flip or case.

When money is involved, the scammers always rear their ugly head at the expense of fanatical collectors.
I think an argument could be made that PSA should have some liability. They knew of the card and were provided scans of the card and case in 2017 when Spence had the card removed from another users registry so it could be added to his. At that point they had an opportunity see an image of the card and case and did not question its authenticity. By allowing Spence to add the card to his registry, I could see an argument being made that they confirmed the card and holder as being authentic By not only allowing the card to be added to the registry but taking an active role to make that happen.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-08-2021, 06:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Interesting contention. On a case where they have a duplicate cert number, they ask both cards to be sent in to be verified (or high res scans of each).

If the original owner in the PSA Set Registry contends they still own the card with the same cert number, then both cards are requested to be sent back to PSA to verify which one is real. That didn't seem to happen in this case, as the Jordan rookie is highly liquid and could have been sold by the original registry owner, so when Spence put in the request to have it added, they agreed to remove it.
So PSA didn't need both cards in hand, per their usual processes.

Sometimes PSA has found two real cards both originally graded by them with the same cert (mechanical error), and reslabbed both in new holders, giving one card a new Cert #. Sometimes they find counterfeits this way as well, which would have helped Mr. Spence.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Mark

Interesting (and somewhat sickening) situation for sure. Would there be a burden on Mr Spence to prove that the card was a fake when he purchased it? To be clear, I'm playing devil's advocate and in no way questioning Mr Spence's integrity.

Regards,
Mark
Old 01-08-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Just read through this, doesn’t PSA also share the blame here for grading this card a 10 in the first place? Why wouldn’t Spence also tag PSA in the lawsuit as well?
If you read through the suit, Sec. G,¶27, it states that PSA determined that the slab had been tampered with, and that the flip was a fake.
Guessing that the seller took a S/N of a 10 that wasn't in a registry, printed it up, and placed it over a real PSA flip with the old holo backing.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Edit: I thought poster before you was talking about the initial purchase timeframe of 2017, not 2020.

More likely, IMO, is that the seller is telling the truth and bought a counterfeit, that they accidentally passed on. I have never heard of them before, and I've been reading trimming and fraud threads for 3 years.

At $200K each, think of how many trimmed "PSA 10" Jordan rookies are susceptible to being outed and would cost the Grade Guarantee at current market value.

Will be interesting to see what happens differently in Santa Ana when Nat Turner and new ownership team make some recommendations.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-08-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
If you read through the suit, Sec. G,¶27, it states that PSA determined that the slab had been tampered with, and that the flip was a fake.
Guessing that the seller took a S/N of a 10 that wasn't in a registry, printed it up, and placed it over a real PSA flip with the old holo backing.

My bad, I obviously missed that page.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:14 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm not a lawyer, and there are many lawyers to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you only get what you paid not any appreciation or current value.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:49 AM
Tom Re.bert

With all these fake slabbed Jordan's RC problems, has this been found with Beckett graded card holders too where someone switched cards/labels or faked Beckett holders ?

Last edited by Directly; 01-09-2021 at 05:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:54 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Beckett holders are impossible to break without pretty much destroying the slab from future use. So scammers are now selling cards in counterfeit Beckett holders, that even Beckett sometimes can't tell apart.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1435178

SGC were easy to take apart and reseal, and older PSA holders were as well. The current PSA "lighthouse flip" holders are more like BGS and should shatter/crack upon opening rather than just get frosted on the sides. So if you're worried about your cards slabbed before 2019, now may be the time to send the higher valued ones (or the partially frosted ones) in for Reholder.

Add: But if you haven't been following the altering/trimming scandal, this #57 Michael Jordan '86 Fleer has been trimmed a considerable amount of times, and received number grades from all the major graders. The Robert Block thread in the Blowout member feedback section is worth reading.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-09-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:18 AM
Larry P.

Is a seller responsible for unknowingly selling a fake card/slab?

Is there liability regardless of whether he knows it's fake?

And if you say yes, what about the seller who sold it to the seller? And so on?

And for all of us, could any of our high value slabs be fake and we don't know it unless the card somehow goes back to PSA.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:07 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

We had a big thread a few years ago about unraveling stolen cards that were then unwittingly sold multiple times. The thought at that time was that each seller would have to get reimbursements from the person they bought them from and the original buyer of the stolen goods would return them to the owner for failing to confirm good title. The thief, AFAIK, was a family member who was not prosecuted.

Add: to your question about is every seller liable, do you mean in criminal or civil court? Because it looks like they tried other options, but the statute of limitations was already exceeded in this case.

Last edited by swarmee; 01-09-2021 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:13 AM
Scott Russell

Going to be tough to prove it's the same card 3 years later methinks.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-09-2021, 09:19 AM
J.O.N

We are all at fault for collecting numbers and not cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:52 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For stolen items, you pass it down the foodchain. You get reimbursement from the person you bought it from, he from the person he bought it from, etc. There is a statute of limitations-- how long after the sale.

However, stolen items are different than fakes or counterfeit in that stolen items involve items that the buyer and seller never legally owned. It wasn't a valid sale, like you selling your neighbor's house. The original sale (no matter how authentic the item was) was not legal. Same with the all the sales down the foodchain. You can't legally sell something you don't rightfully own. This is also why in the artworld they say "Save the receipt."

I'm no lawyer, but with forgeries and counterfeits you are more able to bypass the foodchain and sue the original source. However, if you sell a wholly faked item (meaning, the holder and/or label is also a forgery), assume you will be asked to give a refund. For a PSA graded fake (legitimate holder and grading but the item in it was misidentified by PSA), then presumably PSA will refund someone and either the buyer or you can get the refund from PSA.

Obviously, learn to authenticate the holder and label and take care who you buy from. Because if it's a legitimate holder and label, things are a whole lot easier for you if it turns out the card is a forgery. If it's a fake in a legitimate PSA holder/label, then someone-- whether the seller or the buyer-- can get the refund from PSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb View Post
Is a seller responsible for unknowingly selling a fake card/slab?

Is there liability regardless of whether he knows it's fake?

And if you say yes, what about the seller who sold it to the seller? And so on?

And for all of us, could any of our high value slabs be fake and we don't know it unless the card somehow goes back to PSA.

Last edited by drcy; 01-09-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:56 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Doesn't major PSA supercollector Donald Spence have enough knowledge to inspect cards he receives for signs of tampering or being counterfeit before accepting them and putting them into his set registry?
I'm very surprised by this as well.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Interesting contention. On a case where they have a duplicate cert number, they ask both cards to be sent in to be verified (or high res scans of each).

If the original owner in the PSA Set Registry contends they still own the card with the same cert number, then both cards are requested to be sent back to PSA to verify which one is real. That didn't seem to happen in this case, as the Jordan rookie is highly liquid and could have been sold by the original registry owner, so when Spence put in the request to have it added, they agreed to remove it.
So PSA didn't need both cards in hand, per their usual processes.

Sometimes PSA has found two real cards both originally graded by them with the same cert (mechanical error), and reslabbed both in new holders, giving one card a new Cert #. Sometimes they find counterfeits this way as well, which would have helped Mr. Spence.
I was involved in a situation where there were duplicate certs of a very $$$$ card (one was obviously a Copperfield IMO), both were sent back to PSA, and they recerted BOTH.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-09-2021 at 03:38 PM.