NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-04-2021, 06:09 AM
Jeff Carlson

Default Autograph Authentication

Has anyone submitted autographs for authentication recently and can comment on turnaround time? PSA is pretty backed up on card grading, but I don't see any expected times for autograph authentication only.

Over the weekend, I purchased the last two cards I need to "complete" my signed 1963 Fleer set. Strictly speaking, I still lack Clemente, but I also lack the funds to afford a Clemente autograph, so I consider it complete at 65 of 66. I started this on a lark, but it also feels like an investment now and I'd like to get the rare and star cards authenticated to preserve the value. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:09 AM
Jon P

The last two I sent off to PSA took 20 and 45 days respectively. Both orders were around 5 items each.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 AM
Michael

I submitted 2 groups one 8 cards and one 88 cards and still waiting. Just for autograph authentication
Old 01-04-2021, 03:25 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Has anyone submitted autographs for authentication recently and can comment on turnaround time? PSA is pretty backed up on card grading, but I don't see any expected times for autograph authentication only.

Over the weekend, I purchased the last two cards I need to "complete" my signed 1963 Fleer set. Strictly speaking, I still lack Clemente, but I also lack the funds to afford a Clemente autograph, so I consider it complete at 65 of 66. I started this on a lark, but it also feels like an investment now and I'd like to get the rare and star cards authenticated to preserve the value. Thanks.
oh no, sorry. You have to get all 66 or else it's worthless. Go find me the Clemente or else it's not finished. Consideration for completion is DENIED. Get the Clemente or else the rest of the set is a very poor investment. It must be PSA'd as well. Now go, you have a job to do.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 01-04-2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:34 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Depends what you want to do.

Just know they are real...Beckett auto review for a star card or the boyer if you are worried.

PSA set/psa grade them. ... Wait until their economy service for autos is reopened for 60 days at $20. I dont see many of the cards warranting a $50 grading fee. I'm at 40 days of their 40 day turnaround still nothing

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Depends what you want to do.

Just know they are real...Beckett auto review for a star card or the boyer if you are worried.

PSA set/psa grade them. ... Wait until their economy service for autos is reopened for 60 days at $20. I dont see many of the cards warranting a $50 grading fee. I'm at 40 days of their 40 day turnaround still nothing
I know the provenance on most of the cards because I sent them in to private signings or did TTM. But, I did not keep records of the details. Given that my wife will likely outlive me, I figure getting them slabbed is the best way to remove any question as to what they are when the time comes to sell them. Thankfully, most of the ones I plan to authenticate are already just $20. Koufax is $50 at PSA, but that card came with an Online Authentics certification already.

FWIW, I did get a PSA Quick Opinion on the Boyer and it came back as "Likely Genuine."
Old 01-06-2021, 08:01 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Given that my wife will likely outlive me, I figure getting them slabbed is the best way to remove any question as to what they are when the time comes to sell them.
I suppose that would depend upon the existence/reputation of the slabber at the time they are sold.

Some people thought about GAI.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 01-06-2021, 08:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

If that is truly the case, leave a note with them for your wife to send to an auction house and have them pay for it, save grading fees for Clemente.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-08-2021, 07:39 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
If that is truly the case, leave a note with them for your wife to send to an auction house and have them pay for it, save grading fees for Clemente.
An interesting response insomuch as it touches on another thought that has been running through my mind as I've been getting ready for the annual review with our finance guy. There are so many auction houses out there, I really have no idea which ones to suggest. I assume that Goldin and REA are too high end for my collection and, alas, the Crazy Uncle has seemed to lit out for parts unknown.

For my sports sets, I am guessing that Greg Morris is the right place to go. But for the autographs, I really don't know where to start. Are there particular ones that folks recommend?

Last edited by carlsonjok; 01-08-2021 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Grammar fix
Old 01-08-2021, 04:20 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My personal opinion is to not spend money on authentication, from any company until right before you, or your loved ones, are ready to sell. All of these authentication companies rely on their reputation to maintain the value of the opinions everyone pays for. Because of the nature of this part of their business they are all one scandal away from having their slabs and certs being worthless. It happened to GAI in the early 2000s and it could hapoen again. I am not saying it will, but it could.
Imo, it's better to take all the money spent on certs and buy more autographs from reputable dealers. Once you, or your family, get to the point that you want to sell, send it to an auction house and let them do it. IMO, having autos, photos, etc preslabbed only helps your family if they intend to sell the items piece meal on their own. If they are going to send it to auction anyway, it turns out to be basically the same, but you spent money that could have been used to buy more items. (My example...yes i know its over the top, but it still works.Lol..its better to own 21 Ruth autos[21*$3k=$63k] unslabbed than 20 slabbed[20*$3k+$3k cert cost=$63k])

As far as which auction house to choose for autographs, that is hard to say really. There are many very good ones. What i would suggest you do is what i did. Call a couple up and speak to them about what you would like to do and what the process would be. Get a feel for how they treat you and how they might treat your family. You should then have enough information to decide what you think fits best. You can negotiate fees, etc and get something in writing from them to give to your family to reference when the time comes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL