NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do you think it is OK to "keyword spam" Ebay auctions?
Yes, it is OK to put PSA and BVG into titles of SGC cards!!! 5 3.36%
No, the auction title should ONLY have the grader who graded the card!!! 111 74.50%
I could care less either way!! Whatever the seller wants to do is fine with me! 33 22.15%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2020, 07:08 AM
Robert Williams

Default Settle a debate involving "Keyword Spamming" on Ebay auctions!

I am in a FB group for SGC cards. I am getting into a heated discussion about "keyword spamming". They are a little discouraged that SGC cards aren't getting the prices their PSA counterparts are. They are saying that it is OK to put "PSA" into the auction title of an SGC card. To me, that sounds crazy. I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's opinion on "keyword spamming"??

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-31-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:17 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Not sure what the vote is supposed to accomplish. Immoral people will remain immoral.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:20 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Not sure what the vote is supposed to accomplish. Immoral people will remain immoral.
It was just a vote to see what everyone thought of the situation. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:32 AM

I for one find it annoying to see “not PSA” show up in my PSA searches.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:44 AM
Robert Williams

I understand their frustration when an SGC 10 sells for 1/3 of a PSA 10. However, if I am selling a Toyota, I don't put "Mercedes" in the auction title!! You want PSA prices?? Submit to PSA!! It really is that simple.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:46 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Keyword spamming is against Ebay's Search Manipulation rules, its not really a matter of opinion.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Keyword spamming is against Ebay's Search Manipulation rules, its not really a matter of opinion.
That was my argument in the group. It was an SGC group though, so I was quickly made to be the "bad guy" however for pointing that out.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 12-31-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:01 AM
Bill Cauley

Though it's really a minor issue, it's an annoying one. I typically do a search for the years/sets I'm collecting and then will filter down to the grading company of my choice. I just shake my head when after doing that, I still see listings with other cards/grading companies listed in the title.

On another thought, I almost wonder if these sellers could easily open themselves up for a scam where the buyer gets the item and gives the old item not as described and ships back something else instead.

I follow some FB sportscard and thrifting groups and have seen some things similar. One guy put "PSA 10?" in the title of a modern raw card and had the issue above happen. On a thrifting board, someone sold an item of jewelry but their pic of the item had a plant behind it for staging purposes. The buyer complained that they didn't get the plant and filed an INAD, sending back something other than the jewelry they won.

Last edited by BCauley; 12-31-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 AM

I HATE the practice of " keyword spamming". Not only on Ebay, but Craigslist, etc.
As a matter of principle, I won't buy something off an ad that spams

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2020, 08:22 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
Though it's really a minor issue, it's an annoying one. I typically do a search for the years/sets I'm collecting and then will filter down to the grading company of my choice. I just shake my head when after doing that, I still see listings with other cards/grading companies listed in the title.

On another thought, I almost wonder if these sellers could easily open themselves up for a scam where the buyer gets the item and gives the old item not as described and ships back something else instead.

I follow some FB sportscard and thrifting groups and have seen some things similar. One guy put "PSA 10?" in the title of a modern raw card and had the issue above happen. On a thrifting board, someone sold an item of jewelry but their pic of the item had a plant behind it for staging purposes. The buyer complained that they didn't get the plant and filed an INAD, sending back something other than the jewelry they won.
That reminds of the seller who listed "Large Picture Big Screen TV" or something like that and sent buyers a photo of a TV, I believe he ended up going to prison.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
That reminds of the seller who listed "Large Picture Big Screen TV" or something like that and sent buyers a photo of a TV, I believe he ended up going to prison.
I know something similar happened on Judge Judy. The defendant was laughing and smirking at how she "got over" on the plaintiff. Judge Judy was not amused and threw the book at her.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:32 AM
je.sse @rnot

I've never understood why so many people use the phrase "I could care less." If you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I've never understood why so many people use the phrase "I could care less." If you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.
It's just talk. It basically means "Either or is fine with me. I'm not appalled by it nor do I condone it. I am neutral."

Sorry...I am from the south, and I guess I need to not use flippant phrases like that.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:40 AM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
I recently saw someone doing something similiar with a PS5 on FB marketplace. They were selling the box but not the actual PS5 system. I always remember the Judge Judy episode where a seller listed a camera for sale but it was actually just a picture of the camera she sent. Needless to say, the seller lost.

Last edited by BCauley; 12-31-2020 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Clarification on events that happened
Old 12-31-2020, 08:56 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Oops, there goes the shutout
Old 12-31-2020, 09:00 AM
And.y Ell.is

in my opinion its almost fraud, the item should be listed for what it is and thats all.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:23 AM
Eric Perry

I'm indifferent whereas it concerns PSA/SGC/Beckett. Since I personally buy cards in any of those holders, my saved searches are set up like this:
Mantle + (psa,sgc,bvg)

The "keyword spamming" that annoys me is when someone has an ungraded card with "PSA ?" in the title.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
I recently saw someone doing something similiar with a PS5 on FB marketplace. They were selling the box but not the actual PS5 system. I always remember the Judge Judy episode where a seller listed a camera for sale but it was actually just a picture of the camera she sent. Needless to say, the seller lost.
I have seen that episode twice. It was great. Judge Judy called them morons, scammers and everything else.

And as far as the shutout of it being ok to do. there is always at least one malcontent.

every thread needs a.....

Old 12-31-2020, 09:30 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I for one find it annoying to see “not PSA” show up in my PSA searches.
I find it annoying to find NOT AUTO when I search and sift for Autographs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-31-2020, 09:42 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

So everyone who said it is NOT ok, all buy the holder and not the card itself?

Interesting.

If the seller puts comparable to PSA (1,2,3,etc.) or PSA population #, I see nothing wrong.

It actually gets more eyes on the card, and that's what a seller wants.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-31-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:44 AM
Anson

I guess I have a slightly different perspective. I generally do hate the spamming stuff. But, SGC decided to use a different grading system for years and their 100-point system didn't translate well to search results. An SGC 10 could pop up if someone was looking for PSA 10. As we know, SGC 10 now can mean two totally different things on opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm less upset if someone is trying to establish the equivalent grade of an SGC holder, simply because it doesn't get visibility due to the different scales. It's very different than including "PSA?" or dropping a bunch of additional TPGs in the title.

At the end of the day, people are just trying to sell their stuff. There are a lot of new, less-experienced eyeballs seeking out cards on Ebay. I'm more annoyed by "Invest!" or "Ebay 1/1" than SCC 98 = PSA 10. I will also add, I'm surprised at all of the folks who are anti-PSA but don't want SGC cards to pop up in a search for PSA. If you want other TPGs to be successful, wouldn't you want to make more new collectors aware of other options besides PSA?

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 12-31-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Spamming

I’m seeing more and more sellers either list their cards as PSA, SGC, BVG numerically graded and they are not .. or just putting a numerical grade on themselves. Deans and STARX have been doing that all along which has zero credibility w/me but I guess in the bigger picture it’s not much different than anyone listing their cards as EX, EX/MT, etc.

Some of this stuff, obviously, is purposely meant to deceive. This clown below keeps listing his SGC graded cards as a grade higher on PSA.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Topps-...0AAOSw-ktfqyRq

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 12-31-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post

Or “PSA???” On a raw card. It’s like “Yes...ANY raw can can be sent to PSA”.

I did have eBay pull one of my listings because the card was a “no signature variation” and I listed as such.

So, they “try”, but clearly don’t know cards.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Jeff H

"keyword spamming" of any kind drives me crazy. When I do a search for a certain card or product, I don't want to sift through all the unwanted junk just to find what I was looking for to begin with.
Ebay just sent me a survey to fill out, and I let them know how I feel about the "keyword spamming". I'm sure there will big changes at Ebay when they read my survey!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post

Or "not" game used. Not much you can do about it. With the amazing availability of items comes such annoyances.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:01 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I search for "WWII baseball." Every day I have to ignore some card from 5 years ago because it's listed as "post WWII baseball." Very annoying.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:07 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think "Reprint" should be required to be in the title of all reprints (/fakes/counterfeits).
Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I search for "WWII baseball." Every day I have to ignore some card from 5 years ago because it's listed as "post WWII baseball." Very annoying.
If you ever really want to waste time, try searching "T206" on eBay and look for raw cards.

No matter how many filters I apply, the reprints and Topps 206 seem to dominate the search results.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-31-2020, 11:18 AM
Robert Williams

The results are sort of how I anticipated them to be.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:38 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

I typically don't limit my searches on cites to any particular grader. I just enter the year, player, and card manufacturer.

I want to see all the active listings - raw and graded, as well as from all graders. It doesn't bother me that a listing will say, "1933 John Doe ABC 5; Not XYZ or WXY."

Sure, I have a grading preference, but am always willing to buy cards from my non-preferred grading companies if the price is right. So, my bottom line is no big deal.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Has any Net54 poll accomplished anything?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I didn't know it specifically had to??? i just thought it would be fun to do a poll. We don't need any poll watchers or Dominion voting machines for it either. Geez.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm glad you posted. I know when I see your avatar that we're in for some wisdom. Today's treat: the Socratic method.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-31-2020, 12:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
This.

I probably would have picked option #3, but wanted to state that I could NOT care less. The way it was worded was the opposite of what I believe was intended.

Anyway, I shop only for the card itself, and not for the slab. So as long as the card is properly titled, I couldn't care less which TPGs are name-dropped.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
i've never understood why so many people use the phrase "i could care less." if you could care less, that means you do care. But if you couldn't care less, you don't care at all.
Thank you!!!!!!!

Last edited by doug.goodman; 12-31-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Keyword spamming is blatant douchebaggery.

I can't wait to see a seller break new ground and start employing a double negative to get their graded Mick a boatload of confused views...
FS: 1965 Topps Mickey Mantle - Not Not PSA!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:19 PM

If this guy - pracc34610 - is on net54, I think you are a dipshit. There is nothing PSA, nothing “5”, and nothing that would make this card worth a fraction of the asking price.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6299BA3C-D02B-48A9-90F5-BDCBB557ADB5.jpg (8.6 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-03-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:04 PM
mark sanders

Default Ryan- Your Post Made Me Laugh Out Loud!

A disheveled june cleaver one morning at breakfast-
"ward, weren't you a little rough on the beaver last night?"

what i find ultimately intriguing is that in less than an hour of you posting, prac34610 seems to have completely disappeared from ebay.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 01-03-2021, 02:10 PM

No, he/she is still there. I just misspelled the absurd username- it’s “pracc”. I initially spelled it with only one “c”. I edited my original post.

But regardless of how you spell (or misspell) the username, there is much more wrong with that listing than just gratuitously using “psa” in the title.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:30 PM
mark sanders

Default Ryan-

thank you for the clarification.
i was beginning to wonder if you weren't net54's resident, um... "hitman!"
and, i totally agree with you about their listing.
also, i'm pretty sure the june cleaver story is real.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 01-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Maybe when the seller says "RARE SHARP!", they are referring to the deftly trimmed corners.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-03-2021, 10:00 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I haven't delved to deeply into it, but in addition to being against policy, supposedly keyword spamming actually works against your search ranking on eBay. Something to the effect of the more impressions your item gets without a click-thorough or sale, the lower it sinks in Best Match search ranking. eBay tends to promote listings that have a higher likelihood of selling, and bury (or not show at all) stale listings that have lots of views but no turnover.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:44 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I haven't delved to deeply into it, but in addition to being against policy, supposedly keyword spamming actually works against your search ranking on eBay. Something to the effect of the more impressions your item gets without a click-thorough or sale, the lower it sinks in Best Match search ranking. eBay tends to promote listings that have a higher likelihood of selling, and bury (or not show at all) stale listings that have lots of views but no turnover.
You're correct that many views without a sale will hurt your search ranking, works the same with watchers as well.

Seller promote their own listings. Just in case anyone doesn't know, sellers bid a percentage to have their listings towards the top of searches. I promote all my listings at 1% and the extra views help make more sales.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:35 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
You're correct that many views without a sale will hurt your search ranking, works the same with watchers as well.

Seller promote their own listings. Just in case anyone doesn't know, sellers bid a percentage to have their listings towards the top of searches. I promote all my listings at 1% and the extra views help make more sales.
I used to do 1% as well, but I was paying extra money and got zero results. If someone outbids you and offers up a bigger percentage, yours doesn't get any exposure and you still have to pay the extra fee for nothing. Not worth it IMHO.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:59 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

EBay keyword spamming bothers the heck out of me. And what bothers me even more is that ebay doesn't do a darn thing about it. Look at this clown. He's been clogging up my saved searches for months with erroneous years and card numbers in the title that are obviously not the item for sale. I've reported his listings no less than a dozen times for keyword spamming and yet it continues.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsr...sasl=mintsquad
Old 01-04-2021, 07:07 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I used to do 1% as well, but I was paying extra money and got zero results. If someone outbids you and offers up a bigger percentage, yours doesn't get any exposure and you still have to pay the extra fee for nothing. Not worth it IMHO.
You only pay the extra if the item sells through the promoted listing. You still have the regular listing as well, if item sells that way, you don't pay the extra. If you paid the extra then your item sold though the promote listing.

If you promote and someones bid is higher, theirs just shows up more times than yours for example, theirs comes up 3 out of every 10 searches and yours shows up 1 out of every 10 searches, etc. Your listing does not go to zero exposure.

My 1% bids increased my sales at least 10%.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Robert Williams

Looks like common sense wins. Someone should tag that SGC Facebook group with the results!
Old 01-05-2021, 02:33 PM
Bill Roberts

Great job Bobby!!!!