NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2020, 07:53 AM
Tony Ricciardi

Default You thought YOU were having a bad day...

Every time I think I'm having a bad day or I overpaid for a card, I go to PSA's homepage and click on the "PSA Record Breakers" link. The 3rd highest price ever paid for a PSA-related collectible was some poor fool who paid $3 million dollars for Mark McGwire's 70th Home Run ball. 3 MILLION DOLLARS.

To put that in further perspective, Bonds 73rd homerun ball sold in 2003 for $450,000. So essentially, the guy with the McGwire ball paid 3 mill for the 2nd most single season homeruns and only if you consider the steroid records as legit which many collectors do not.

Unreal.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 AM
Scott Russell

I think that particular "poor fool" will be just fine. Todd McFarlane isn't exactly hurting for cash. I believe he actually owns both balls you mentioned.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-18-2020 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:09 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yep; it was likely just throwaway money for a guy like Todd MacFarlane, the comic book creator of Spawn and a guy who came out with his own line of sports action figures which put the original Kenner Starting Lineup figures to shame.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:19 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yep; it was likely just throwaway money for a guy like Todd MacFarlane, the comic book creator of Spawn and a guy who came out with his own line of sports action figures which put the original Kenner Starting Lineup figures to shame.
Yeah, I'm guessing that he might want the money back today. Just a guess. Lots of insanely rich people wake up one day and notice they are not insanely rich anymore. And I'm suspecting we might see a lot more of that in the coming months, years.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:45 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Actually in that case the money he spent was a good investment in getting him into the sport figurine world and other collectibles world. For him, it was not an issue. Now if I had bought that ball (not that I have that much scratch available), the result would not have been nearly as good.

Rich
Old 03-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Tim Odeen

Agree. But.....

At the time, the home run chase was the cultural moment of a lifetime. It was approximately 40 years to break Ruth's record. And it was approximately 40 years to break Maris' record. Who could foresee Bonds record breaker only 5 years later? Hindsight is 20/20.

Today, $3 million for that ball seems like it will never be retrieved.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Robert J. Miller

Nothing that big. But I think of the guy who paid me $420.00 for a PSA 10 Fleer Bonds rookie.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:48 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

According to Celebrity Net Worth, Todd McFarlane has a net worth of $300 Million!
Old 03-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

You're right he might be hurting because that ball cost him 1% of his net worth of $300,000,000 He's probably losing sleep over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yeah, I'm guessing that he might want the money back today. Just a guess. Lots of insanely rich people wake up one day and notice they are not insanely rich anymore. And I'm suspecting we might see a lot more of that in the coming months, years.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Todd McFarlane has a net worth of $300 Million!
I wonder if that was before or after COVID-19 tanked the stock market?
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by blametony View Post
Every time I think I'm having a bad day or I overpaid for a card, I go to PSA's homepage and click on the "PSA Record Breakers" link. The 3rd highest price ever paid for a PSA-related collectible was some poor fool who paid $3 million dollars for Mark McGwire's 70th Home Run ball. 3 MILLION DOLLARS.

To put that in further perspective, Bonds 73rd homerun ball sold in 2003 for $450,000. So essentially, the guy with the McGwire ball paid 3 mill for the 2nd most single season homeruns and only if you consider the steroid records as legit which many collectors do not.

Unreal.
It was considered an overpayment even at the time
Old 03-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Nothing that big. But I think of the guy who paid me $420.00 for a PSA 10 Fleer Bonds rookie.

Now, THAT'S actually hilarious.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

No idea who this guy is and couldn't care less how much money he has now or how much he lost yesterday. But I've know a few people up his financial realm and none of them would brush off a $3 millions dollar investment/purchase that has lost nearly all of its value. Their attention to finances is usually pretty obsessive.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-18-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:06 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No idea who this guy is and couldn't care less how much money he has now or how much he lost yesterday. But I've know a few people up his financial realm and none of them would brush off a $3 millions dollar investment/purchase that has lost nearly all of its value. Their attention to finances is usually pretty obsessive.
Exactly. There's a reason they became rich, and it wasn't by throwing away money or being oblivious to value.

There was a Japanese billionaire who duct-taped his shoes when they got old instead of buying a new pair. May seem bizarre for a billionaire, but it was that type of prudence and thinking that made him rich.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:01 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I'm not a collector of autographs so to me, the baseballs would be only for bragging rights. But interestingly, this bad day post reminds me of many great days. I made a lot of money in the early 90's selling Todd McFarlane Amazing Spiderman comic books. Back then I was purchasing 100+ of many comic book issues and getting them at 40 percent off of cover price. Then I was selling them new at full cover price for the month and then 10 times that a month later. All while I was in high school lol. I went to school to make money, not learn

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Today he is worth a lot less
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Today he is worth a lot less
Like a lot of us.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:53 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I think Todd MacFarlane is awesome. When he bought the McGwire ball, it was a lot of money for him. Not so much now.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:17 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I think Todd MacFarlane is awesome. When he bought the McGwire ball, it was a lot of money for him. Not so much now.
He gave the big speech at a graduation I attended at Eastern Washington University. Was very good and he seemed quite happy to be there (he graduated from EWU).
Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 PM
Scott Gaynor

At the time he got 3 million in media publicity when he purchased the ball.

I had that ball, along with two other McGwire homerun balls in my possession for about 4 hours. I transported them from a museum in Washington DC where they were on temporary display to Guernsey's auction house where they were sold.

They guy that originally owned the ball was super nice. I spent a day showing him around Washington DC. He was given tickets to the game by his employer and the ball was hit into the corporate box where he was watching the game. The ball was hit so hard that everybody jumped out of the way as it came through the window. The ball bounced off the back wall and into the guys hand. Security rushed the room immediately and took the ball from him so that there could be no question that it was "the ball". The guy became a multi-millionaire by pure luck.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 03-18-2020, 09:46 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Riches

Based on my investment values, I have recalculated my retirement date..... it has been moved from "Someday, Maybe" to "Never". Jus sayin
Old 03-18-2020, 09:58 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The Red Green quote: "When I retire at 65, I'll be able to live a comfortable retirement so long as I die by 67."
Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Scott Russell

McFarlane purchased a ton of "significant" home run balls and is on record as saying they weren't bought as investments, but rather because he wanted them. Scott G's point about publicity is also a very good one. There has been a 30 for 30 made about the ball, he got an AMAZING amount of press at the time etc... you could add up the price of all the balls he bought and then figure out what the hundreds of print articles and TV air time those purchases garnered would have cost as advertising space/time and he came out WAY ahead.

A little perspective:

http://content.time.com/time/arts/ar...650788,00.html
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-19-2020 at 10:45 AM.