NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2020, 11:51 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Baseball shutting down

Announcement coming.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Derek Granger

still no official announcement, but it's coming. This move makes sense:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/c...SPM-16-10abi8e

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 03-12-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

You know, I sort of wonder if baseball is necessary. Private jets to games. Empty stands. Not a sport where guy are bleeding or coming into really close contact.

Understand erring on side of caution. Serious drag.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:12 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
You know, I sort of wonder if baseball is necessary. Private jets to games. Empty stands. Not a sport where guy are bleeding or coming into really close contact.

in a game where the pitcher sticks his fingers in his mouth...then throws the ball to the catcher...ball gets hit somewhere...fielder grabs the ball that the pitcher put his saliva on. Player then touches his face...this is how dangerous this virus is based on efficiency of transmission and how long the virus can remain active on a surface.

Last edited by ullmandds; 03-12-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:43 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Wow. This is quite a departure from 24 hours ago when MLB was singling out the Mariners as the team with cooties.....
Old 03-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

You are right. Wishful thinking on my part.

QUOTE=ullmandds;1961561]in a game where the pitcher sticks his fingers in his mouth...then throws the ball to the catcher...ball gets hit somewhere...fielder grabs the ball that the pitcher put his saliva on. Player then touches his face...this is how dangerous this virus is based on efficiency of transmission and how long the virus can remain active on a surface.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Rob

Default Seems like yesterday

I wish this were my card...

www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Derek_Bell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg derekbell.jpg (77.2 KB, 596 views)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Fred

When the NBA and NHL made the announcement to stop playing, then that has now put pressure on MLB to do the same. Not if, but when. I'm putting the announcement date at no later than 13MAR20. Anybody taking the UNDER or OVER on this?
Old 03-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Derek was a colorful nutty guy. When he was on the Mets lived on a houseboat moored in midtown Manhattan. Crazy guy. Then obviously developed a terrible drug problem. I looked a few times for any recent stories on his whereabouts. After the drug stuff he fell off the face of the earth. I hope he's ok somewhere and living clean and not living in a box under a highway overpass. Remember players who knew him always said he was funny decent person.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:16 PM
David Kathman

Quote:

It's not about the players giving coronavirus to each other, it's about the fans doing so.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 PM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Derek was a colorful nutty guy. When he was on the Mets lived on a houseboat moored in midtown Manhattan. Crazy guy. Then obviously developed a terrible drug problem. I looked a few times for any recent stories on his whereabouts. After the drug stuff he fell off the face of the earth. I hope he's ok somewhere and living clean and not living in a box under a highway overpass. Remember players who knew him always said he was funny decent person.
Derek Bell is a scheduled autograph guest at the upcoming card show in Toronto

https://sportcardexpo.com/autograph-guests/
Old 03-12-2020, 03:24 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Unbelievable announcements today.. Next week is going to be even more scary..
Old 03-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Derek Bell is a scheduled autograph guest at the upcoming card show in Toronto

https://sportcardexpo.com/autograph-guests/
Wow. Thanks. Nice to see. If he comes to AC, and that show happens, I will def say hello.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Rob

That's good to hear about Bell. He is 9 days older than me, and I remember him having some solid years batting clean-up for the Astros.

I don't really understand what's going on with the virus. Growing up in the 70's, we had a newspaper and maybe the t.v. news at 5:30. They would not have dreamed of cancelling the season back then.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
That's good to hear about Bell. He is 9 days older than me, and I remember him having some solid years batting clean-up for the Astros.

I don't really understand what's going on with the virus. Growing up in the 70's, we had a newspaper and maybe the t.v. news at 5:30. They would not have dreamed of cancelling the season back then.
I actually know a girl he used to date back in the day. She had no idea that he used to be a good player, he was on the mets i think but injured..
Old 03-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Ben North

Just got a email from the Yankees saying Opening Day is going to be delayed at least 2 weeks.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:28 PM
John Donovan

Well, we had a spring break trip booked to see the Royals in Arizona next week, and home opener tickets in KC on April 2.

Just went 0 - 2 on those plans.

This sucks.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have cancelled, because I do think it's the right thing to do. It just sucks in general.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

I'm an idiot, but will somebody please explain to me the dangers of this virus.... I have heard two completely different versions from two doctors that are almost a 360 in opinion....Thanks
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just got a email from the Yankees saying Opening Day is going to be delayed at least 2 weeks.
Cubs comply with Pritzker request for nothing At Wrigley Field before May 1, 2020

Last edited by Santo10Fan; 03-12-2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I'm an idiot, but will somebody please explain to me the dangers of this virus.... I have heard two completely different versions from two doctors that are almost a 360 in opinion....Thanks
It's about the danger to those who are high risk, like the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions. The death rates for those groups are very high. While you may be fine, you can still be a disease carrier/spreader. If the hospitals get inundated with multiple patients at the same time, this becomes a much bigger moral dilemma (like who gets to have the life saving ventilator over someone else). Canceling large events like this buys time for health care providers and vaccine producers. Italy is in deep for these very reasons.

Last edited by h2oya311; 03-12-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
It's about the danger to those who are high risk, like the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions. The death rates for those groups are very high. While you may be fine, you can still be a disease carrier/spreader. If the hospitals get inundated with multiple patients at the same time, this becomes a much bigger moral dilemma (like who gets to have the life saving ventilator over someone else). Canceling large events like this buys time for health care providers and vaccine producers. Italy is in deep for these very reasons.
It’s not solely old people with preexisting conditions who die from the virus. The doctor in China who discovered the virus and treated early patients died from it, and he was in his 30’s. The mortality rate for people catching the virus appears to be between 1-3%, depending on which stats you read, but that is not uniform across all age groups. Very few young health people currently die from it, which implies the percentage of older people who die from it is a lot higher.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:24 PM

Thinking theoretically, what would happen to contracts if MLB did suspend the entire 2020 season? Would Mookie Betts become a free agent without ever playing for the Dodgers?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
It’s not solely old people with preexisting conditions who die from the virus. The doctor in China who discovered the virus and treated early patients died from it, and he was in his 30’s. The mortality rate for people catching the virus appears to be between 1-3%, depending on which stats you read, but that is not uniform across all age groups. Very few young health people currently die from it, which implies the percentage of older people who die from it is a lot higher.
Agreed on all points. Some have mild symptoms, some are asymptomatic. Some die. The issue is the spread of the virus and insufficient medical care. Not necessarily that it’s more lethal than other viruses. If I get the coronavirus and my symptoms put me in critical condition, I want the best medical care. I don’t want to have to trade my collection to get a bed.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:51 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Thinking theoretically, what would happen to contracts if MLB did suspend the entire 2020 season? Would Mookie Betts become a free agent without ever playing for the Dodgers?
i would say yes, unless its in the contract, like if act of war and not play, how do they handle it.

however how much money he gets changes as well
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Mike Mattsey

More relevant to my 12 year old's interests, the North Natomas Little League is on hiatus for the next month. He understands, but isn't thrilled. I have two cousins playing D1 softball and the remainder of their season was cancelled today.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:34 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

What the hell are guys going to do without any sports for a month.

It's almost funny to think about that.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post

I guess that must mean they agree...…………….
Old 03-13-2020, 01:07 AM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
What the hell are guys going to do without any sports for a month.

It's almost funny to think about that.
Right, TNT seems to already beefing up recent (past five years movies) to fill the NBA void, but wth is ESPN gonna do all day?
Old 03-13-2020, 10:23 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
And that's exactly what the Chinese government wants you to think... he died from the virus and not the beating he took for outing the outbreak...
Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was just at a normally, very busy coffee shop and was the only one there at 925 am.....the manager was quite distressed.

Of course MLB and almost all sports have shut down. I think it's good to be safe and will leave it at that.

Last edited by Leon; 03-16-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was just at a normally, very busy coffee shop and was the only one there at 925 am.....the manager was quite distressed.

Of course MLB and almost all sports have shut down. I think it's good to be safe and will leave it at that.

Well at least you still have one to go to...

Every restaurant in the state of WA was ordered shut down indefinitely last night. I think that some Drive Thru's are still open (for now, anyway).