NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Maybe color had something to do with it

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the reason the printer placed the subjects in this order is based on aesthetics and blending of colors. The red backed cards make a pleasing outside frame. The Olive background of the Bowerman card in the center is a nice blend of the orange and green backgrounds that flank it. The printer may have even thought to put the Wagner in the center of the strip, but is artistic eye told him that this was the best combination.

Best wishes,

Joe
Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Question

For those that have seen this card, was the area that is the white border area gray in color? you can see the white areas that appear to be the white of the paper around the register marks.
This strip is either a partial group from the original arangement of subjects on the original matrix stones or plates, Or it something that was put together by pulling transfers for each of these players and creating a separate set of stones or plates with this configuration before the art for some of the colors was unfinished.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
FYI....this so-called strip is blank-backed.

Upon magnification, you will find that the vertical lines between the cards are actually seams.

Regarding your...." nobody cared much about these cards in 1909, so why, in 1909, would anyone bother
to attach them to a sheet with the precision of an accomplished card doctor? "

This is a very naive comment, there is tons of documentation that tells us how popular these cards were
when they were initially available in 1909. Especially, the major stars of that era (Cobb, Johnson, Lajoie,
Matty, Wagner, CYoung, etc).

And, to the 2nd part of your comment....It didn't require a "card doctor" to craft this strip. The employees
at American Lithograph were high quality craftsman.
It is rumored that this 5-card strip was specifically crafted as a sample piece given to Wagner prior to the
T206 market launch.

Anyhow, I will be traveling down to Citizens Bank Park to catch a Phillies game and get a close up look at
this piece.
TED Z
i love how me and Ted think alike!

this is what i believe the majority of "blank back" cards to be....SAMPLES that Amer Litho employees would use to sell the art to different companies...

TED Z[/QUOTE]
Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I just plowed through this whole thread......so it's not vertical seams?
Not separate cards "pasted" together?
Actually a "proof" strip?

Cool.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

One of my favourite T206 pieces...hope to finish and have it litho printed one day. Recreated using original portraits.

Last edited by atx840; 07-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
One of my favourite T206 pieces...hope to finish and have it litho printed one day. Recreated using original portraits.

Just made this my background on my PC....thank you
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

I would strongly recommend that Net54 newcomers take 15-20 minutes and read this thread from the beginning. It's pretty enlightening, and not just about the T206 Wagner strip.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 AM
John Mavroudis

Default Similar piece +

Just got done reading this whole thing... pretty cool detective story from the beginning to present...

This reminds me that when I was driving through Pittsburgh a few years ago, I stopped at a small antique store and the owner, who's last name eludes me, showed me a strip just like this one... but the strip was was in much better shape and extended to include Plank on one side and the Doyle error card on the other. This was the real deal, so I ask held my breath and asked how much... Imagine my surprise when he just handed it to me... I've kept this strip to myself all this time, but I just sent it over to PSA to... nah... just kidding.

Seriously, though... excellent thread. And much thanks to the participants for the illuminating discussion!

www.zenpop.com
Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Jake Dahl

this past march I went to a antiques and collectibles show here in Waukesha,wi and my 2 buddies and I wanted to go and check stuff out, now we scanned the whole show floor nothing real good until we came to one of the last show cases and saw a similar card like that one un graded. I should have bought it to take a chance but the chances were like -.01 percent chance the one I saw at the show was real but for 5.00 I should have taken that chance. Awesome strip card by the way.

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 07-20-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default crazysc

Hi, I have a question about your post. You said that it had the "look and feel" of a T206 but you also said that you never removed it from the glass holder, so how could you feel it?

Not trying to be a smart *** or anything but I am curious about this statement. I do appreciate your input and your experience with cards and I am not trying to be negative in any way.

Thanks,

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi, I have a question about your post. You said that it had the "look and feel" of a T206 but you also said that you never removed it from the glass holder, so how could you feel it?

Not trying to be a smart *** or anything but I am curious about this statement. I do appreciate your input and your experience with cards and I am not trying to be negative in any way.

Thanks,

Rick
I wondered the same thing.....both statements can't be true. Dave
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Jeff Lowe

Hey Leon ,

I print those in my basement everyday .
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Jeff C.

So getting back to the origin and reason for the strip. Assuming that it was given to Wagner to get him to sign on for the production, and following the anti-tobacco myth, were any of the other 4 known non-smokers/tobacco users? This could be a reason that these 4 were included on the strip. Perhaps to entice Wagner to join up after seeing that other anti-tobacco players were signed on. This is an underhanded move by ATC, but how can you print a set without one of the stars of the day? Like an earlier post, I can see why "stars" such as Young and Brown would be included on the strip. However, I'm also curious as to why Kling and Bowerman (commons) would be included on the strip. So was ATC trying to appeal to his ego, his anti-tobacco stance, or as alluded to previously, was it just good ole' fashioned greenbacks that stood in the way?

Last edited by deucetwins; 07-20-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: verbiage
Old 07-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Personally I have never bought the Wagner anti-tobacco theory. I believe he chewed tobacco and smoked cigars. I suppose he could have had concerns about youth, but just doesn't seem right. I think monetary or contractual reasons.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I would strongly recommend that Net54 newcomers take 15-20 minutes and read this thread from the beginning. It's pretty enlightening, and not just about the T206 Wagner strip.
Just read the thread from the begining and i also recommend newcomers to take time to read it completely.

Verry cool thread.