NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Default Here's some good stuff...can we help? Ryan SL'er T206

Posted By: leon

I received this email this morning and got permission to post it.....Can we help?

Hello Moderator,

My name is Chris Ryan, & I'm the Grandson of the late Raymond (Ray) Ryan, formerly of the 1909 Roanoke SL baseball team.

Unbeknownst to any of my siblings, it appears that my Grandfather was the subject of one of the early T206 baseball cards. (Ryan Roanoke, Portrait, Old Mill Back).

The family legends have always stated that Grandfather was a baseball player, and that he played for the Chicago White Sox.

A couple of years ago, after my Dad died, I got interested in the history of my family- Who came from where, worked with whom, got married to so-and-so, and etcetera. While I was doing some research & going thru a stack of old papers, I came upon the IDEA that "If my grandfather WAS a Major League Baseball Player, then I ought to be able to find his BASEBALL CARD." And so the search began.

After contacting the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME, was sent a photocopy of Grampaw's "Major League Contract Card" (A document maintained by MLB to keep track of various minor league players & their relationships to various teams.), and according to the "Contract Card"

Grandfather was signed to "Roanoke, SL" in March of 1909, and then, in October of 1909, was DRAFTED by "Chicago, AL" (IE, the White Sox), in time for the postseason expanded roster.

Apparently Grandpaw didn't do so good as a White Sox, as by the end of Spring Training in 1910 his contract was released to Birmingham.

So, being as he only played for a short while for Chicago, & then only as a "Expanded Roster" player, & apparently NEVER actually got on the field as a uniformed White Sox during an actual ballgame, it came as no surprise to me that he was NOT the subject of a baseball card (At least not as a Chicago White Sox.)

But then, "Surprise surprise surprise", (Thank you Gomer) I discovered MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL CARDS! Curiously enough, this happened during the week that one of the Honus Wagner "MONSTER" cards was sold & fetched a newsworthy outrageous price.

With a bit of assistance from a Mr. Frank of the Research Dept. at the BASEBALL HALL OF FAME in Cooperstown, I was quickly directed to the subject of "T206" baseball cards, and referred to an online site called "the T206 Museum".

Much to my surprise, one of the T206 cards from the vintage 1909-1911 sets was of... Ray Ryan, Roanoke, 1909.

HURRAH! I think, There he is! My Grandpaw's Baseball Card! HURRAH!

But unfortunately, this discovery only sets in motion a bunch of other questions. (Authenticity, value, availability of subsequent reproductions/reissues of the more valuable original cards, rare variations on the card, etc...)

After contacting Trae Regan (trae@thinkableinc.com) of the T206 museum, (A very nice & reliable fellow in my experience), I was advised by him to try contacting the Net 54 website & try asking the experts at your website for more assistance on the subject of the Ryan Roanoke card.

If possible, I would like to execute the following plan.

I would like to INVEST in obtaining a better quality, authentic Ray Ryan baseball card, seal it in a protective hermetic wrapping, and quietly hide it away in my safe deposit box to become a family heirloom and keepsake to future generations of Ryans. Then, I would ALSO like to acquire a handful (I dunno, maybe 8-10?) of REPLICA CARDS, one of which I would mount on my living room wall, & the rest to be distributed to members of my family as Christmas Presents this winter.

Not a bad plan, as such things go- BUT...

It immediately leads to other questions.

According to the Price Valuator section of the T206 Museum, this card may have been issued in in more than one form. (Various backs and is it printed in black or brown ink being the primary questions, as I understand it.) If so, then, Can you supply me with MORE INFORMATION regarding this particular card? Perhaps you and /or one of your friends, contacts, associates, etc, would be able to tell me more about this particular card- I KNOW it was issued as an "Old Mill" back, in both black and brown, with the brown backs being considered more valuable. However, there remains a question about the possibility of it being released with OTHER backs, and perhaps in OTHER COLORS as well. And of course there are always questions of authenticity, etc.

If you could advise me in any of this, I would be most appreciative. This "My Grandpaw's Baseball Card" quest has become quite the learning experience, as I never before really thought about the issues involved in all this before. Any assistance you and yours can provide to me would be MOST APPRECIATED.

Sincerely "Play Ball!" Yours,

Chris Ryan

PS- I'm a Reds fan, (Like my Dad.) & I also like & follow the Dayton Dragons & the Columbus Clippers.

thanx.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

There is currently one in auction right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170151018968

It is graded by SGC so you can be assured it is real. The final price should end up in the $40.00 neighborhood. With 2 years of tracking auctions there have been a number of them to sell so they are available when you want to buy.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Please start by downloading and reading this:

http://www.t206museum.com/shop/InsideT2063d.pdf

I think, in short (and I will be corrected if I forgot something), you don't have to worry about backs other than Piedmont, Old Mill and Hindu.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I don't know Chris' money situation..but would imagine he could find a nice PSA 5/SGC 60 or so type card for the vault...and then instead of picking up reprints would have good success at picking up a few low end 1-2 grades in the $40-$60 range each for display purposes.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Also Chris-

As far as a PSA 5/SGC 60 example...you shouldn't have a problem finding one in the $350-400 range...one grade higher does jump on the prices quite a bit however.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Sir,

Elaborating a little on what Paul said, the T206 Ryan subject is known with the Brown Hindu, Black Old Mill Southern and Piedmont 350 back types. I do not believe the Ryan subject is known with the ultra-rare Brown Old Mill Southern back type or any of the three nearly impossible Old Mill Southern Overprint back types (i.e., black back w/single black overstrike, brown back w/single red overstrike, brown back with double red overstrike).

I would guess that a VG-EX PSA- or SGC-graded example of Ryan with a Black Old Mill Southern or Piedmont 350 back might run you $150-200. A comparably graded example with the Brown Hindu back might cost three times as much (since that back is considerably scarcer). If you are not too condition sensitive, you should be able to acquire on eBay one example each with the Black Old Mill Southern back and Piedmont 350 back in a few weeks (or a few months at most); however, finding an example with the Brown Hindu back--especially a nice example--will prove more of a challenge.

Scot

Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Millerhouse

Dear Chris,

If you want the rarest of the rare of your grandfather's baseball cards, it appears that he is also pictured on a card, catalogued as E222, put out by A.W.H. Caramels, from, I suspect, the Richmond area. The problem is that E222s are scarce as hen's teeth and usually in suspect condition when found. Though I've accumulated seven of them over the years, I do not, unfortunately, have a Ryan. Perhaps a board member who does could, at least, post a scan of one for you.

Regards,

Dan

Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Chris sent this, this morning....

Hi Leon,
Thanks for the post. I am already starting inquiries regarding that rare E222 that was mentioned. I have gotten a lot of interesting advice from your members & it has only been just a day. WOW! (Like a lot of stuff), there is more to this than meets the eye. I ALMOST bought my 1st T206 yesterday, but my bid was a bit low ($25.00 on a Ryan/Old Mill Black that went for $39 on ebay,) but I will have to keep looking. Thanks for the help, and please feel free to post this in the threads for reply.
Again, thanks,
Chris Ryan
PS- GO TRIBE! (Eh, I'm from Ohio...)

Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Perhaps Mr. Miller can contact Mr. Ryan, and share his experience in collecting the Obaks and Zeenuts of his family member. That would be a good reference point.

What an exciting journey....

Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Delwoman on ebay has high quality 18x24 prints available of Ryan that can be found by searching their store