NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2020, 02:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
Found this from the SF Examiner from 1911. A bank encouraging young boys to save their nickles rather than buying Zeenuts for the cards!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
That's cool....
Old 11-13-2020, 09:51 AM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
Your 1935 Ted Norbert card is one of the finest Zeenut cards I've seen with a coupon. I guess we are all fortunate he was traded for Joe D. DiMaggio Zeenuts abound. 1935 Norbert cards are virtually unknown with a coupon.
Thanks to philliesphan providing an updated scan, here's a better comparison of Ted Norbert's cards from 1935 (offer expires April 1st, 1936) and 1936 (offer expires Oct. 1st 1936). His 1935 card has a larger, more cropped pose (with Norbert's foot almost touching the bottom of the picture), while the 1936 version shows lots more space between his foot and the bottom of the picture. The condition of this 1935 card is what we all hope for but rarely find.

Thanks again,

Mike

P.S. Hey, Everybody! From the pictures posted, you can see the difference between these two cards issued in different years. POST MORE ZEENUT CARDS WITH COUPONS. Maybe we'll get this project done where all of the differences in varieties of Zeenut cards from the 1933 to 1938 cards can be readily identified to their year of issue.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:05 PM
Michael Fried

Default Zeenut Lists of Prizes

Does anyone have any of the lists of prizes Zeenut exchanged for the coupons?
Old 11-26-2020, 12:08 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
Does anyone have any of the lists of prizes Zeenut exchanged for the coupons?
I show the 1938 exchange list in the first post on this thread...

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290941

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Michael Fried

Default Zeenut Coupon Search Continues

I have been waiting for the COVID19 issues to abide so that I can go to the California Historical Society and see (and photograph) Dick Dobbins' collection of Zeenut cards. He was one of the pioneers in collecting them. Dobbins was well known for his Pacific Coast League expertise. He donated over 54 packing cases of PCL material to the Society.

Again, anyone with 1933-1938 Zeenut cards with coupons attached (any condition) is welcome to post scans so that we can add them to the growing list of pictures of these cards. After the Dobbins visit, I hope to post detailed picture comparisons of the similar and other cards of this period with issue dates for the varieties.

member rhettyeakley's posting above of the link to his YOUTUBE Video about his Zeenut find of cards with coupons from before the 1933-1938 period of this thread is quite impressive, perhaps the find of a lifetime. What do members think about a project to put together a photographic list of Zeenut cards with coupons issued prior to the 1933-1938 Zeenuts of this thread?

Be well,

Mike

Last edited by abctoo; 04-02-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:56 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Thx leon

I bought two from leon with coupons a while back will never part with them ..i like them ,,
Old 04-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Marc S.

Mike-

The idea is good. The implementation is harder.

Were I to take a guess, I'd say that there are approximately 4,000 tabbed Zeenuts "out there" in the hobby universe. Some might have different approximations of the numbers, but I think that's as good a guess as any, based on the little I know.

Now, I think that this falls under the classic 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that there are four or five collectors out there that each have 500+ tabbed Zeenuts in their respective collections.

For your idea to work, I think you'd need to get at least two of those collectors on board with your idea. I'm not sure there's many people who could even put names to those folks with tabbed Zeenuts. And a few of the folks I know who like Zeenuts are not necessarily super excited at the idea of sharing scans/pictures online.

I hope you can get it to work, nonetheless! I'd love to see something like that
Old 04-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Michael Fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Mike-

The idea is good. The implementation is harder.

Were I to take a guess, I'd say that there are approximately 4,000 tabbed Zeenuts "out there" in the hobby universe. Some might have different approximations of the numbers, but I think that's as good a guess as any, based on the little I know.

Now, I think that this falls under the classic 80/20 rule. I strongly believe that there are four or five collectors out there that each have 500+ tabbed Zeenuts in their respective collections.

For your idea to work, I think you'd need to get at least two of those collectors on board with your idea. I'm not sure there's many people who could even put names to those folks with tabbed Zeenuts. And a few of the folks I know who like Zeenuts are not necessarily super excited at the idea of sharing scans/pictures online.

I hope you can get it to work, nonetheless! I'd love to see something like that

You've hit the nail on the head. I hope we don't have to wait for these collectors to pass away like Dick Dobbins before we access for scans. They should realize that showing their cards will increase the value. Others can actually see what exists and can plan for a cash or tax value on them when they become available through sale or donation. That would actually put a higher value per card than a bulk disposal.

Merely confirming the existence of a card does not provide full attribution that a picture of it can. A lot of the old collectors think they did a great job identifying them last century. They did the best they could back then. But like many cards and collectibles, the identification processes they started have not caught up with modern times. I seen many a picture postcard lot that was highly prized fifty years ago get disposed by relatives for very little because insufficient information about them, particularly photographs or scans, were not available.

If these old timers don't want to do the work, there are plenty of use, including me, who would be happy to take the pictures or make the scans for them.

Mike
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM
Rich Klein

This is a great discussion but as someone who actually DID and still DOES cataloguing, there is also the ROI in how much time to spend on something like Zeenuts. While personally I love this and would get in as many as I could, if I were still doing the Almanac I would have to balance how to spend my time as opposed to entering previously uncatalogued items and also keeping up with prices.

I can't speak for Bob L. as he is no longer with us, but I'd wager he'd get as many of these as he could because his audience was more based on pre-war cards then the Beckett audience was.

So, keep at it and hope the cataloguers out there figure out how to get those into their systems.

Rich