NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Bill Gregory

Default O/T Somebody please explain this one to me.

I collected modern cards for a while, mainly pre-rookie and rookie baseball issues with on card certified autos. I loved the Bowman Chromes, and I still have some of them. I did a lot of homework before buying, tracking prospects for months, some for years, with subscriptions to Baseball America as well as other scouting sites that did annual profiles and grades. I subscribed to MLB Extra Innings, and added the ability to watch Minor League games. I made educated investments, and made a very good return. In fact, I've been kicking around the idea of doing it again.

A few of those cards, I wish I still had. So, clearly, I'm not adverse to modern cards. I'm not immune to their charms. Something like the Mike Trout Bowman Chrome on card auto I had will continue to go up in price. That card's value, at least, is understandable. Other players like Clayton Kershaw, Nolan Arenado, Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, Pete Alonso, maybe even Bryce Harper grows up, and realizes his potential.

That being said, I see cards like this one on Ebay, and I really don't get it.

Before you click on the link below, here's the card.

Ok, I get it. Lebron's having a great year. And now, he's a Laker. The sports media are trying their hardest to make him the NBA MVP. And there's no doubting Lebron's place in NBA history. He's an all-time great. It's a nice card, I suppose. It's been graded by Beckett, and it got a 9.5 with nice subs. It's a 1/1, which I think is the most overhyped bunch of crap to ever hit the hobby. There's no autograph. It's not his rookie card. I don't even know Donruss "Optic" is-probably a $1,000 box of cards that only the super rich buy.

Does this card scream investment potential to any of you? It doesn't to me. Now, check the auction. As of my posting, there are 37 bids, and 3 days, 11 hours to go.

What am I missing? I could think of far better ways to spend that much money on a sports card.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by Leon; 03-12-2020 at 08:08 AM. Reason: title
Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 AM
qualitycards

"I could think of far better ways to spend that much money on a sports card"

& many would think a T206 green Cobb is way too high.
To each his own
Glad the modern market is thriving
Old 03-12-2020, 09:14 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

And thriving it is. Over the last few months, I have made an effort to try and understand the way the modern card market works. I know more than I did, but there is still a lot that I just don't get. I have noticed that just this week the 2011 Topps Update Trout has topped $2K in PSA 10! The 1/1s the OP alluded to are just unreal, too. Having ventured over onto Blowout a few times, I can see there are many, many such collectors and lots of cash flowing!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=279932
Old 03-12-2020, 10:04 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Manufactured scarcity

and the modern collectors are eating it up - that imo is why this card is going to knock your (and my) socks off when it ends. It is the only shiny black holographic prism foil (add any descriptors I missed) of that card manufactured by the company - and the hoards are eating it up. As you stated and the auction states - 1/1!
Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
and the modern collectors are eating it up - that imo is why this card is going to knock your (and my) socks off when it ends. It is the only shiny black holographic prism foil (add any descriptors I missed) of that card manufactured by the company - and the hoards are eating it up. As you stated and the auction states - 1/1!
You make this look like a bad thing. You do know the modern card market absolutely dwarfs pre-war collecting in both volume and dollars? There are also several examples of "manufactured scarcity" of cards in the 1930s (albeit obviously to a far lesser level, I get it). I just find it strange that post-war collectors usually have a very healthy respect for vintage cards. Why can't that respect be reciprocated?

Last edited by Orioles1954; 03-12-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:38 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

As a kid growing up in the 1990s, I used to love collecting these modern gems and a big reason for that was because everything was more straight-forward. A player had maybe a couple of rookies; the SPX cards were popular, but SP Authentic was the best. Once the 21st century arrived, everything just became confusing to me. A player now has fifty to a hundred-plus rookies and so many 1 of 1s, which are not rookies, that are selling for big bucks. Like the OP, I too have become confused. What the heck do I buy? Is a 2014 LeBron James Black Shield Triple Purple Padding Limited Signatures Game-Jersey 1 of 1 a better investment compared to his rookie from 2003? This is the big reason why I started to just focus on vintage cards.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's not an expensive box, msrp 100 for hobby, and there are retail 28 card boxes at 19.99 with at least for Target, exclusive 1/1 s.

It's probably very popular because it's not all that expensive.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:03 PM

All it takes is 2 LeBron super collectors with deep pockets going after the same card. Optic is one of the top brands, LeBron is a top 5 player with his legacy set and growing and basketball is the most popular card market because of international collectors. It is not the market for people on this board, but Net54 is only a small part of the hobby.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:17 PM

1/1s of HOF or potential HOF are ebay gold.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
You make this look like a bad thing. You do know the modern card market absolutely dwarfs pre-war collecting in both volume and dollars? There are also several examples of "manufactured scarcity" of cards in the 1930s (albeit obviously to a far lesser level, I get it). I just find it strange that post-war collectors usually have a very healthy respect for vintage cards. Why can't that respect be reciprocated?
The easiest way to sum this up, is that to most collectors, vintage cards are generally seen as highly collectible due to their rarity and age, with a certain mystique placed on players of the past as well as nostalgia towards the game in general. "New" cards carry no mystique whatsoever - at least as far as pre-war collectors can see, with many SOLELY manufactured in low numbers to create pseudo-scarcity.

What bearing the modern card market "dwarfing" pre-war collecting has I'm not sure.... as sheer numbers mean little. Think about "Pop" music, played on the radio, it's the most popular.... but would true music aficionados call it the best? Quite the opposite, as the masses usually clamor for the generic, while a select few appreciate the finer things for a plethora of reasons, hence the term "connoisseur".

Regarding no reciprocation of respect from vintage card collectors, the person driving a Ferrari rarely appreciates a Pinto, while that Pinto driver can't help but envy and admire a Ferrari.
This is just my take obviously....
Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Just a new avenue to artificially inflate price.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:46 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
It is the only shiny black holographic prism foil (add any descriptors I missed) of that card manufactured by the company
Until the company decides to make another one.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
All it takes is 2 LeBron super collectors with deep pockets going after the same card. Optic is one of the top brands, LeBron is a top 5 player with his legacy set and growing and basketball is the most popular card market because of international collectors. It is not the market for people on this board, but Net54 is only a small part of the hobby.
We are a small part of the hobby but many of our members have very deep pockets. My pockets seem to have a hole in them .
I will never understand the desire to own manufactured rarity (other than a 33 Lajoie, maybe) but to each their own. Everyone collects differently. To me there is no right or wrong way to collect as long as there is enjoyment and honesty in your dealings.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I collected modern cards for a while, mainly pre-rookie and rookie baseball issues with on card certified autos. I loved the Bowman Chromes, and I still have some of them. I did a lot of homework before buying, tracking prospects for months, some for years, with subscriptions to Baseball America as well as other scouting sites that did annual profiles and grades. I subscribed to MLB Extra Innings, and added the ability to watch Minor League games. I made educated investments, and made a very good return. In fact, I've been kicking around the idea of doing it again.

A few of those cards, I wish I still had. So, clearly, I'm not adverse to modern cards. I'm not immune to their charms. Something like the Mike Trout Bowman Chrome on card auto I had will continue to go up in price. That card's value, at least, is understandable. Other players like Clayton Kershaw, Nolan Arenado, Christian Yelich, Cody Bellinger, Pete Alonso, maybe even Bryce Harper grows up, and realizes his potential.

That being said, I see cards like this one on Ebay, and I really don't get it.

Before you click on the link below, here's the card.

Ok, I get it. Lebron's having a great year. And now, he's a Laker. The sports media are trying their hardest to make him the NBA MVP. And there's no doubting Lebron's place in NBA history. He's an all-time great. It's a nice card, I suppose. It's been graded by Beckett, and it got a 9.5 with nice subs. It's a 1/1, which I think is the most overhyped bunch of crap to ever hit the hobby. There's no autograph. It's not his rookie card. I don't even know Donruss "Optic" is-probably a $1,000 box of cards that only the super rich buy.

Does this card scream investment potential to any of you? It doesn't to me. Now, check the auction. As of my posting, there are 37 bids, and 3 days, 11 hours to go.

What am I missing? I could think of far better ways to spend that much money on a sports card.

It’s his first card in a Laker uniform and for some reason people are placing value in that?? Not sure why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Many great points by everyone. Like Leon, I don't see how purposely manufactured rarities are pulling in tens and even hundreds of thousands per card. I just have to keep telling myself that if it helps the hobby in a positive way, then I should be grateful. My way of thinking about it is, when I was just a kid starting in the hobby during the early 80's, I could never justify paying more than $5 for a superstar card. But here I am 40 years later spending no less than $50 per common vintage card. Just pray that the hobby doesn't turn into what stamp collecting has.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-16-2020, 05:42 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Many great points by everyone. Like Leon, I don't see how purposely manufactured rarities are pulling in tens and even hundreds of thousands per card.
I agree. That 1933 Goudey Nap Lajoie card baffles me to this day.