NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2021, 10:33 PM
Todd Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The colors on the Goudey Ruth seem off. I hope for your sake the card is real.
I purchased both cards from an Auction company 15 to 20 years ago. I was guaranteed authenticity on both but the Ruth was faded from being displayed. I did not pay even close to today's prices, obviously so whatever happens, happens!

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 03-30-2021, 08:12 AM
J0hn Collin$

SGC's newfound turnaround ability is pretty cool, but what's not is when they send you cards back with defective gaskets and shards of plastic sticking out ready to cut into your cards. I had to pop the most valuable card from my last submission a day after I got it last week. (They did get my cards back to me in 7 business days). The card was not damaged, but extremely frustrating just the same.

I will not be submitting to SGC again until they can prove they've upped the ante on quality control.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-30-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:29 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
PSA likely has a backlog of over a million cards. The right thing to do, would have been to stop accepting submissions. But no, PSA raises prices in an attempt to stem the flow.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...A4MjYwNTQyMQS2

Well they stopped accepting crossovers and other lower tier services. They should have done this last year.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-31-2021, 06:51 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Update: Sent in a mostly 90's submission on Sunday and have yet to get my cards back.

SGC burned me over the summer but I believe in second chances. Plus, I kind of like how "modern" cards look in its slab.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 03-31-2021, 07:01 AM
Robert Williams

SGC claimed that their backlog is gone and they will "never" be backlogged again. It will be interesting to see if that claim holds up after PSA suspends all submissions and now SGC gets flooded with them again.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Scott Russell

Was thinking the same thing Robert.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-31-2021, 10:16 AM
Harrison

I'm expecting them to get backlogged pretty quickly because of it
Old 03-31-2021, 10:21 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
SGC claimed that their backlog is gone and they will "never" be backlogged again. It will be interesting to see if that claim holds up after PSA suspends all submissions and now SGC gets flooded with them again.

At $25 a card minimum, and not a great reputation in resale value for shiny card collectors, they may not get the upsurge you're expecting, though they will certainly see an uptick in vintage submissions.

I have a feeling CSG is going to get slammed. They are new, but they are not new to the grading business, and their $8 bulk rate seems like an easy pivot for the modern card collectors who want to risk sending in common cards hoping to hit it big with a high grade.

I sent about 20 cards in to them at the beginning of the month under "Economy" and they have yet to even be logged in yet, so I'm guessing it's already started over there.

There's even chatter on the boards over there (likely unfounded.....but who knows ) that PSA strategically timed their shutdown in order to flood CSG and others with cheap cards and back up their competitors in a similar fashion.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:16 PM
Ken McMillan

Cards logged on March 22 are on their way back according to the. Email I just got from SGC today. So much better than my last experience with SGC. Not tHat I have that many cards graded but a 4 1/2 month wait was out of control. Restored my confidence in SGC for now. Have some higher dollar slabs that I would like to cross over to SGC for my display case.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:11 AM
Ken McMillan

Cards were logged 3/22/21 and in my hands 4/3/21. 12 days for a standard submission, much better than the 4 1/2 months that the last submission took. Fortunately this was at he $25 price. Glad I got them in before the price tripled. Fortunately most of my collections are nearly complete so won’t have much to submit in the future so price increases do not really affect me.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:57 PM
Tommy

Anyone see the SGC increase again? $75 per card. I'm out for now.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:00 PM
Robert Klevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsp06 View Post
Anyone see the SGC increase again? $75 per card. I'm out for now.
The prices increased April 1st.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM
Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
The prices increased April 1st.
I didn't see it until today. Is anyone submitting any cards at this lowest tier right now? I would think the influx of cards would slow quickly now.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:13 PM
Robert Klevens

Quote:
I didn't see it until today. Is anyone submitting any cards at this lowest tier right now? I would think the influx of cards would slow quickly now.
Considering PSA's lowest tier is $300 I guess SGC will keep receiving submissions. I sent one card to each of them at these prices.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Justin

Quote:
The lowest tier goes all the way up to $1500 so I'm sure they are receiving plenty. Just not many worth under $500, which was the point of the increase I think.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 PM
Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
The lowest tier goes all the way up to $1500 so I'm sure they are receiving plenty. Just not many worth under $500, which was the point of the increase I think.

Good point. I was also thinking of the ultra modern submissions. Probably not as attractive at this price point. I agree, though, if I had a vintage card for example that was worth $1000-1500 the fee wouldn't be that bad for the quick turnaround. For now it seems those wanting to grade cards (with PSA or SGC) valued at $100 or less will be waiting until PSA's backlog is caught up. Maybe the smaller players will get a bump from all of this?
Old 04-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Update: Cards marked as Received by SGC 3/30. Just got notification that they’re on their way back to me. Grades were as expected, except my 54T Williams 250 got an A. Disappointed on that, as I paid basically VG/EX-EX money for it on here a few months ago. Just letting it go without too much mind, as I’ll give the seller benefit of the doubt on its known condition. Looking forward to getting them in hand now!
Old 04-08-2021, 06:44 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
Update: Cards marked as Received by SGC 3/30. Just got notification that they’re on their way back to me. Grades were as expected, except my 54T Williams 250 got an A. Disappointed on that, as I paid basically VG/EX-EX money for it on here a few months ago. Just letting it go without too much mind, as I’ll give the seller benefit of the doubt on its known condition. Looking forward to getting them in hand now!
Send picks of the Ted Williams when it returns.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Overall, happy with my results. Guess I’m in the market again for a 250 Williams, buying graded next go. Here are the scans:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Matt

Beautiful cards. Does that Aaron have a small crease somewhere? Looks better than VG-EX and more like EX-MT+. I have a few on the way back too, with a 55 Bowman Mantle that got an 'A' for 'evidence of trim' that I wasn't expecting.

Last edited by Kzoo; 04-09-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzoo View Post
Beautiful cards. Does that Aaron have a small crease somewhere? Looks better than VG-EX and more like EX-MT+. I have a few on the way back too, with a 55 Bowman Mantle that got an 'A' for 'evidence of trim' that I wasn't expecting.
There is a small corner wrinkle on the back of the Aaron, very faint and only about 1/8”. I’m usually into crease/wrinkle free cards, but I didn’t mind this one. Couldn’t see it unless I angled the card in light to find it, so I’m more than content. Seeing that “A” in results stings doesn’t it? I wish a simple line or two with justification for grade accompanied Authentic grades.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:31 AM
Scott Russell

Any chance the Williams had been in a screw down? Looks like corners might be compressed.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Any chance the Williams had been in a screw down? Looks like corners might be compressed.
This is interesting. My Exhibits Paige came back A, and I couldn't figure out why. It has some issues, but I thought it would get a numeric grade. It came to me in a screwdown holder. Perhaps that was it.

I guess I'm not able to recognize compressed corners, because they don't stand out to me on that Williams, and I thought the corners on my Paige looked normal but worn. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paige 1.jpg (77.4 KB, 578 views)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
There is a small corner wrinkle on the back of the Aaron, very faint and only about 1/8”. I’m usually into crease/wrinkle free cards, but I didn’t mind this one. Couldn’t see it unless I angled the card in light to find it, so I’m more than content. Seeing that “A” in results stings doesn’t it? I wish a simple line or two with justification for grade accompanied Authentic grades.
I'm not sure what they do now, but if you selected the option to not slab as "A" you got an explanation ticket back with the card.

Last edited by steve B; 04-09-2021 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-09-2021, 10:03 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
It was in a Cardsaver when I received it, but possibly in a screw down at some point. It didn’t appear to have compression on corners/borders when I looked it over at time of purchase. Matched up in size to my others, and I found nothing obvious. I reached out to SGC asking for notes, but I was told the grader provided nothing for detail.

Trying to make up my mind on what I want to do with the card at this point. Keep it/buy a numerical graded copy to go with it, crack and resub to PSA eventually, or sell it. Leaning towards keeping it as is and buying an already graded EX.

Last edited by bks14sr; 04-09-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I'm not sure what they do now, but if you selected the option to not slab as "A" you got an explanation ticket back with the card.
I was not aware of that, thank you.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 AM
lu.c@s

Quote:
It didn’t appear to have compression on corners/borders when I looked it over at time of purchase. Matched up in size to my others, and I found nothing obvious. I reached out to SGC asking for notes, but I was told the grader provided nothing for detail.
Same here. I reached out for notes or an explanation and was advised that the graders don't keep notes. I sent it back in for review even though I'm not holding out much hope for a change.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutton Chop Yaz View Post
This is interesting. My Exhibits Paige came back A, and I couldn't figure out why. It has some issues, but I thought it would get a numeric grade. It came to me in a screwdown holder. Perhaps that was it.

I guess I'm not able to recognize compressed corners, because they don't stand out to me on that Williams, and I thought the corners on my Paige looked normal but worn. Any thoughts?
Much harder to see on a card with a matte surface, sorry.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:42 AM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Much harder to see on a card with a matte surface, sorry.
Thank you anyways!
Old 04-09-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I was not aware of that, thank you.
Now I just recently got a card that came back as "miscut" from SGC as well and they didn't holder the card. Why would a miscut card not receive a numerical grade? I've seen countless cards with diamond cuts graded numerically.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
Now I just recently got a card that came back as "miscut" from SGC as well and they didn't holder the card. Why would a miscut card not receive a numerical grade? I've seen countless cards with diamond cuts graded numerically.
I was wondering the same thing. I was always under the impression that the miscut hurt the grade but wasn't a disqualifying factor
Old 04-09-2021, 04:15 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Wazoo- "Now I just recently got a card that came back as "miscut" from SGC as well and they didn't holder the card. Why would a miscut card not receive a numerical grade? I've seen countless cards with diamond cuts graded numerically."

Maybe when a card is factory cut but still smaller than allowable size tolerance.

Last edited by boneheadandrube; 04-09-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I never checked with them, and I sent the Needham in a long time ago.
But I think what it was is that the top and bottom were very rough cuts. Probably bad enough that most casual collectors wouldn't think of them as factory edges.

This scan doesn't really do justice to how rough they really are.

I was annoyed at first, but eventually figured that if most people who haven't seen many would doubt it, having it with a number grade would probably hurt the grading co reputation.

Same for cards that are undersize but have factory cuts. How often do we see stuff posted like "how could they grade a card that's that short? It must be trimmed"
Old 04-12-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I never checked with them, and I sent the Needham in a long time ago.
But I think what it was is that the top and bottom were very rough cuts. Probably bad enough that most casual collectors wouldn't think of them as factory edges.

This scan doesn't really do justice to how rough they really are.

I was annoyed at first, but eventually figured that if most people who haven't seen many would doubt it, having it with a number grade would probably hurt the grading co reputation.

Same for cards that are undersize but have factory cuts. How often do we see stuff posted like "how could they grade a card that's that short? It must be trimmed"
Well said. And makes sense to me. Funny how yours is a Sov. Here is mine for comparison. Appears to be diamond cut as day, although severe I suppose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (61.3 KB, 452 views)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Cards received 3/31 and are being mailed today (4/12). Not bad at all!! Very happy with the service.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 04-13-2021, 10:56 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Nice....

Snuck one in at the $25 service level, 12 days turnaround!

Logged on: APRIL 1ST 2021, 12:09:48 PM
(SHIPPED ON: APRIL 13TH 2021, 12:29:48 PM)

Peace, Mike

PS I'll be submitting at the new $75 level at end of week. Will update accordingly.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:28 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Well said. And makes sense to me. Funny how yours is a Sov. Here is mine for comparison. Appears to be diamond cut as day, although severe I suppose.
That should be a VG, maybe a bit better any time.

From the other thread, it looks like they don't have anyone with a clue anymore.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That should be a VG, maybe a bit better any time.

From the other thread, it looks like they don't have anyone with a clue anymore.
For a card that measures, and has not received an alterations that I’m aware of, it should receive a numerical grade. I don’t understand how a factory miscut/diamond cut warrants otherwise. Authentic has become too large of a designation in my opinion, leaves a lot of collectors looking at slabs and grades in the dark.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:39 AM

Or at least do the miscut grade cap to a 1.5-2 like I’ve seen previously. Plenty of cards with partial names on top in recent slabs that are getting 3s...

Old 04-13-2021, 11:54 AM
Harrison

Quote:
Or at least do the miscut grade cap to a 1.5-2 like I’ve seen previously. Plenty of cards with partial names on top in recent slabs that are getting 3s...
I just got back a T206 Sweeney with name on top and bottom about a month ago and it got a numerical grade. This must be a VERY recent change for them. I've been loyal to SGC but it has me considering other options.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Harrison

Anyone else having trouble logging into their account on SGC's website?
Old 04-22-2021, 02:25 PM
Justin

Will give credit where it is due. They are still more than meeting deadlines and great customer service.

I just had a 2 card turnaround in 13 days (plus shipping time).

The best part of the sub was that I had made it on May 28th for $25 per card but not completed and paid yet as I was waiting until my typical mailing day.

When I go to pay and complete on April 1st the order was now $150 for a reholder and a raw grade.

I emailed customer service and asked if they would honor the original price since the submission date was May 28th and they responded the same day honoring the previous price of $25 per card and also replied immediately to a couple follow up emails.

Great customer service experience that I wanted to share.

Ju$tin C0$ta

Old 04-25-2021, 07:19 AM
Harrison

Quick question - if you submit a card to SGC for reholdering will they regrade it, or does it keep the same grade as long as you send them an untampered with holder?
Old 04-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobaccoKing4 View Post
Quick question - if you submit a card to SGC for reholdering will they regrade it, or does it keep the same grade as long as you send them an untampered with holder?
Keeps the grade if you reholder. Mine was a 55 Bowman Mantle I picked up on BST in an old case with some scratches on it. Since I was already sending another card it was well worth the $25 (wouldn't do it for $75).

If you want them to regrade you send for review, no reholder.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Keeps the grade if you reholder. Mine was a 55 Bowman Mantle I picked up on BST in an old case with some scratches on it. Since I was already sending another card it was well worth the $25 (wouldn't do it for $75).

If you want them to regrade you send for review, no reholder.

i had a 1980 rickey rookie in an old SGC holder. sent it to them just before all these price increases, cost $10. blind squirrel finds a nut every so often
Old 04-25-2021, 11:27 AM
Jay Zimmerman

Default pricing

I just went on their website. There is no submission for cards less then $75.
How are you getting less expensive cards graded?
Old 04-25-2021, 11:34 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZim13 View Post
I just went on their website. There is no submission for cards less then $75.

How are you getting less expensive cards graded?
Cant right now unfortunately.

April 1st they raised minimum submission to $75 after PSA shutdown their intake of most submission levels, which caused SGC to get overwhelmed with 5x the submissions per day than normal.

Supposedly they will drop prices at some point, likely when PSA is caught up and start taking submissions again.

Its a mess right now.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:59 AM
Robert Klevens

I'm done with SGC. I sent them four Japanese cards to be graded that were already in their database and I had previously graded as well with no issues. They just called trying to extort an upcharge for "research". They did this to a friend of mine as well. This is incredible considering I was the one they used to contact about identifying Japanese cards. I told them to send the cards back and I will never use them again.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:30 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

That's obscene. They seem to forget that that customers have long memories and actions like these will hurt their base, loyal or not. Yet again money rules the hobby. I have been considering trying one of the new grading cos. but haven't yet pulled the trigger. Maybe this attitude by SGC will spur me to action. 'Research' my ass.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
I'm done with SGC. I sent them four Japanese cards to be graded that were already in their database and I had previously graded as well with no issues. They just called trying to extort an upcharge for "research". They did this to a friend of mine as well. This is incredible considering I was the one they used to contact about identifying Japanese cards. I told them to send the cards back and I will never use them again.
So instead of $75 per card they wanted to up to $100 each?

Did they have any response to "send them back and I'll never use again"?

PSA/SGC seem to be completely out of their minds at this point - I'm done with both of them also. At some point they are gonna wish that they would have treated their "longtime" base much better. Unbelievable!

CSG is still currently at $15 per card (economy - 75 days) and $8 (Bulk 50 card min - 80 days)