NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 02-03-2021, 02:28 AM

Default The 1951-52 Parkhurst Set

Do you any of you collect the 1951-52 Parkhurst Set? It's one I am thinking of getting into, however I did notice the price of Howe and Richard (esp. the Gordie Howe) rookies really booming the last few years, so I might be a little late to the party.

A few years back I made a dent into the set, I think 10 or 15 cards or so, mostly commons, but decided to go another direction with my collecting.

I really like how it's such an iconic set, with so many big name rookie cards. But, the appearance of the cards are quite ugly, but I suppose it gives that vintage appeal.

I like how it's a manageable 105 cards. I guess a good strategy is getting the big 3 (Howe, Richard, Sawchuk) first?

The 1954 Topps set is on my mind as well (The cards appear much better with some great images and a bigger card stock) But it's lacking the Leafs and Habs cards.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

During the 1940s, no hockey sets were made because of the war. The government needed card companies to ship all their gum ingredients and paper overseas to help the soldiers. So, because no sets were made during the 1940s, this means that when the 51' Parkies came out, almost every card was a rookie!

And you're right, the cards are very ugly! They are small, have blank backs, very little color, poor registration, etc. The biggest issue is that they were cut all over the place. So, for years, trimmers would get an over-sized card in EX condition, chop it up, and turn it into a NM-MT card. So, if you're going to collect these cards in higher grade, then lots of them are going to come your way. There is really no way you can tell, and the only way to avoid this problem is by collecting lower-grade.

For a long time, people would start with the big three. In other words, they would go after the Howe, Richard and Sawchuk first, and then go after the others. But these three are very expensive now and a lot of people can't do this anymore. It's actually not a bad idea to start with the tier two players, such as Harvey, Geoffrion, Lindsay, Delvecchio, Kelly, etc.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
During the 1940s, no hockey sets were made because of the war. The government needed card companies to ship all their gum ingredients and paper overseas to help the soldiers. So, because no sets were made during the 1940s, this means that when the 51' Parkies came out, almost every card was a rookie!

And you're right, the cards are very ugly! They are small, have blank backs, very little color, poor registration, etc. The biggest issue is that they were cut all over the place. So, for years, trimmers would get an over-sized card in EX condition, chop it up, and turn it into a NM-MT card. So, if you're going to collect these cards in higher grade, then lots of them are going to come your way. There is really no way you can tell, and the only way to avoid this problem is by collecting lower-grade.

For a long time, people would start with the big three. In other words, they would go after the Howe, Richard and Sawchuk first, and then go after the others. But these three are very expensive now and a lot of people can't do this anymore. It's actually not a bad idea to start with the tier two players, such as Harvey, Geoffrion, Lindsay, Delvecchio, Kelly, etc.

Good luck!

Good points! If I do tackle it, it would definitely be low grade! The Big 3 are already pretty expensive so finding them in low grade would likely be my goal!
Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 AM
Bob Davies

Don’t forget Barilko. Very popular card from that set too.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:48 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I'm putting together this 105 card set. I have 70 different so far, so I'm 67% complete. In addition to what the others have said, I would also caution for reprints/fakes as they are out there.
Larry

Old 02-04-2021, 10:02 PM

Default 8 cards short

I am 8 cards short of completing the set in PSA/SGC graded form. My cards range from a PSA/SGC 2 to a PSA/SGC 7 with a majority being in the 5-6 range. The PSA 2 is a Terry Sawchuk RC that was in a PSA 6 holder with a horrible glue stain on the back. I sent it in to PSA and they re-graded it a 2 and compensated me for the loss. I still need Lach, Olmstead, Masnicki, McNeil, Gamble, Lumley, Howe Goldham and Reise.

They have not come up for auction much lately. Mile High has some right now that really vary in grades. Some of the cards are still priced reasonably. I think Doug Harvey is really priced low relative to other in the set.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:56 PM

The 1951-52 Parkhurst is a great hockey set to tackle.

I am lucky enough to own a Turk Broda, Bill Quakenbush and Roy Conacher.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:53 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
The PSA 2 is a Terry Sawchuk RC that was in a PSA 6 holder with a horrible glue stain on the back. I sent it in to PSA and they re-graded it a 2 and compensated me for the loss.
That's horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro13 View Post
I think Doug Harvey is really priced low relative to other in the set.
I think all the Tier 2 cards in this set are pretty under-valued. So yes, Harvey, Geoffrion, Lindsay, Delvecchio, Kelly, Kennedy and Barilko!
Old 02-07-2021, 10:11 PM
Scott Duguid

I'm about 20 in on this set but I do have the Howe, so I may be able to finish it one day. Prices seem to be rising fast though....
Old 02-08-2021, 08:06 PM
And.y Ell.is

I have just 4 , but pick them up when they are available.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:12 AM

For anyone looking for low grade cards of this set. Here is a small lot on eBay that may suit some of you.Good luck with you search

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1951-52-PARK...wAAOSwYiJgHXhM
Old 03-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default Parkies

I have a few to part with, low grade, some graded and some autographed. PM if interested
Old 03-19-2021, 08:35 PM
And.y Ell.is

I will say this if you ever decide to venture to a show the Toronto show is the absolute best for hockey ( and other sports)