NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-17-2021, 02:31 PM

Default Help with a magazine issue - Cleveland Indians cards

I am hoping that someone recognizes this magazine page, which is a sheet of 9 "card-like" images of Cleveland Indians from around 1980-81. There is unrelated advertising on the back, so it does not appear they were intended to be cutout individually. The origin of this is a mystery to me.

I would like to identify the magazine, and see if there is possibly another sheet that goes with this one. If you look at the team members represented, there are no infielders, and only two of three outfielders; also other more prominent pitchers are missing like Bert Blyleven (if its a 1981 issue).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (81.0 KB, 229 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Curt

The back may provide a clue? I like the design.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 PM

Default Back of card ad

The back of the cards page is an ad for a Kawasaki 550 LTD motorcycle. I don't know if that helps pin down the year or publication, or not. The ad looks to be two pages. Maybe there are more "cards" on back of the other page? Pure speculation on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
The back may provide a clue? I like the design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0650.jpg (78.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-23-2021, 12:51 AM
David M.

My original thought is that it probably came from a Cleveland Indians yearbook. I have a Yankees yearbook with a set of cards inside as a bonus.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:37 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
My original thought is that it probably came from a Cleveland Indians yearbook. I have a Yankees yearbook with a set of cards inside as a bonus.
or game program
Old 04-23-2021, 06:32 AM
Tom S

Default Probably from 1981

Charbonneau was thru by 1982 Garland 1981. I would guess the year would be from 1981.

I researched an Indians program/scorebook from 1981 and the photos of the players are the standard B/w headshots. Possibly the yearbook?

I'm thinking because the top of each photo has the team name it is probably from one of the many preview magazines that came out back then. maybe photos of all the teams.

Or another teams Scorebook/program vs the visiting Indians
Old 04-25-2021, 08:00 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Are we sure these were ever actually issued as cards?

Maybe they just decided to present the player photos as images of faux baseball cards.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:31 AM

Default Faux baseball cards

I agree they are not cards. I have a pretty loose definition of a "card" myself, but even I can't bring myself to recognize these as cards - yet. One of the criteria for me with regard to magazines and newspaper cutouts is that there should be some evidence that they were meant to be cutout - whether its card-like fronts AND backs, dotted line borders, a scissors clipart on the border, instructions on cutting out the "cards," or some callout by the producer such as, "Hey Kids - cutout and save these for your collection!" - something. I don't see any evidence for that in this case, so I don't consider them cards, even in my own very loose card definition.

I actually like the term "faux baseball cards." There are endless items that look like cards that people have clipped and saved over the years. This could fit that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Are we sure these were ever actually issued as cards?

Maybe they just decided to present the player photos as images of faux baseball cards.