NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default submitting cards to PSA seeking the half-point bump

Posted By: Al

My apologies if this topic has been beaten to death.

I was not a big fan of the half-point move by PSA, however, I've gotten over that and realize it's here to stay, so I may as well join the process. I currently have 163 PSA 8s in my 55 Topps baseball collection, all NQ. I feel certain that perhaps 5-10% of these cards will bump to PSA 8.5s, and maybe one or two could hit the Holy Grail of PSA 9. I have sought info from various sources on how to submit my cards to Newport Beach for analysis. I also have a couple of hundred other PSA 8s and PSA 9s from various sets, of which again, I'm certain some would bump up.

A well known poster here advises me to contact Joe and see if I can get a deal on the volume submission, which I will do. The various comments I've gotten is to send the cards in all at once and then others tell me in batches. The batches idea is to hopefully ensure multiple graders for analysis as opposed to a one grader potential with a massive submission. Any comments or ideas on the batches vs big submission approach?

I am also told that PSA is a mere 5 minutes from John Wayne airport in LA. I am fortunate to fly free on Delta, the trip from Atlanta is perhaps 5 hours. Therefore, I could easily hand deliver and perhaps arrange for hand pickup, this would ensure no loss, no damage and the huge shipping fees back to me from PSA. I am retired, so it's just a matter of my butt sitting in the tube to pull this off. Is this the best way to go, or just trust the USPS and pay the coin to and from? I think getting to and from Atlanta via John Wayne in one day can't be that big a deal. Of course I would have to do it twice. Hand carrying would of course put me into the potential of the one-grader possibility...or is this just a bit of paranoia on my part?

Held at arms length, I honestly (could anyone) couldn't tell the difference between a PSA 8 and a PSA 8.5. Should I make a valiant attempt with a loupe to check the cards, or just plan to take them all?

Any pointers on this topic appreciated. I've been out of the submission arena for quite a while, anyone know what the rate is to review a slab for the bump? For a 163+ (depending on upcoming eBay bids), what should I reasonably expect from PSA to review them all? IOW what do you think is a fair price given the volume?

Thanks for all responses.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Only you know what is best for you. I'd travel to and fro myself
and make a day out of it each time. The only problem is will they allow you
to pick them up when they are done?

AS for sending them in, I would send them in all at once that way
I'd get the best deal that they would offer (I assume)

In any event the main job as i see it is for you to send in only those that you
feel will bump and not just every card.

Pregrading is a must.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

you will get 16 bumps from the 163 card group, as PSA has been averaging 10% bumps on these submissions.
Is that worth it?
up to you, I suppose.

I hate to fly, so I wouldn't bother with hand delivery.
perhaps you could submit them in person when PSA attends a show in your area?

Old 02-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

I would say its not worth it.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Sherman

"I would say its not worth it."

Just ask the seller of the T206 Mullin which was a PSA 9 and got the bump to a 10 if it would have been worth it to send in. Of course it is!!! If you think some have a chance for a bump you should send them. From what I have been hearing dead centering helps for the bump.

Gl

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Of course it depends on what you send in.

Me? I'm not playing that game.

My cards graded under the old system remain what they are.

Going forward I have no problem with the .5 system.

Steve

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Save your money and put in into a couple of cards. It's just another gimmick for PSA to make money.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I have delivered three batches of cards in person to PSA--one time at John Wayne Airport, once at a hotel right next to the airport and the other at PSA headquarters which is no more than 10 minutes from the airport and easy to get to. The process went very smoothly all three times. Annabelle is Joe's assistant. I would contact her directly.

If you submit 360 cards I would guess you would get 50 upgrades and probably a small number of nines. The post-war upgrade percentage has been quite a bit higher than the prewar percentage.

I would only take out the obvious weak 8s due to centering and corner wear. I send everything in.

Also if you are looking to resell I am a strong buyer--I believe I have 14 PSA 7s(rest PSA 8 and above) that I am looking to upgrade--all lower pop commons(see Davalillo on registry). This would put me in the top 10 in the PSA Set Registry and put me ahead (at least temporarily) of well known collector, radio personality and Obama fan Jeffrey Lichtman. happy.gif

Old 02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Just a piece of information: in order to get same-day grading you have to pay the higher fee levels. If you want to avoid that, it may involve two trips - drop off and pick up. I would call Joe to see what is possible.

JimB

Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think you should fly west, collector!

Take all of the cards. Get 'em all resubmitted. From reading your post I think you care greatly about your graded 1955 cards, that you don't want them in transit in the hands of no telling who, and that you really want to take a try at getting the cards regraded. So for you, I think it would be worth your time and money.

For me, I'd not make the trip even if they were going to grade all of my cards free. But for you, I think it is the thing to do!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David M

Frank, why wouldn't you want to come out to Southern Cal? Come on, it's supposed to be 83 degrees today. That alone should be worth the trip!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

83 degrees... sunshine, and a fan of the Gashouse Gang... Yea, I'd go to meet a fan of those 1930's Cardinals, those high flying Redbirds!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I would look them over before just submitting them all. Any that are not perfectly centered, I would save the money and not submit. On the cards I sent in, they circled why each card didnt get the bump, 80% of mine were centering, the other 20% were corners.

Oh and I would not fly and waste 10+ hours on a plane, when it would only take an hour or two at home. I would send them registered mail thou, a bit slower but safer imo.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Scott, is it your experience that those standards you described - centering being crucial -- exist only on bumps from grade 8 and up? What about 6s to 7s, 7s to 8s?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

Haven't decided what I'm gonna do, but at some point I think I have to make a move on the half-point issue.

Jim Crandell...my set has 7 of the PSA 8s you need, but if I were to sell them to you, how would I ever catch up or hope to pass you on the Registry? I'm down a bit from you in 13th place...Teddy Ballgame. And, as for Jeff Lichtman, when he becomes an Obama fan is the day I become a believer in Global Warming, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy and Santa Claus. happy.gif

Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: macboube

For what it is worth, on my '55 AA's I recently did a same day on two cards that were new subs that I was hoping for 10's (both came back 9) and I had an appt. at 11am for drop off, and they turned it around in 2.5 hrs. while I went and had a nice long lunch. If you arrange in advance, it can be done qucikly with a low or reasonable volume submission. Of course you will pay a lot of $$$ for this service, as their price depends on the value of your sub. Fyi - I paid $250.00 per card which is just about their highest price as my two cards were two of the most valued in the set.

For reviews of 8's (and 9's), I have been submitting my 55 AA's in groups of 20 to 40 at a time. With turn arounds of 2 - 4 weeks and very reasonable pricing (I have a set price worked out). All I can say is I am extremely pleased with the results, many of which achieve half and full grade bumps making it very worthwhile in my opinion.

I still cannot believe Davillio only got 3 bumps out of an approx. 130 card review sub. That is by far way lower than anything I have experienced. Like he stated, it is likely easier to achieve bumps with postwar stuff.

Hope this assists you.

MacBoube

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Jeff, I mainly sent in 8's but I did send in a 4 and a 5. The 4 got the bump to 4.5, it was very well centered only had slight corner wear, at a 4.5 it was a 1/1 highest graded and I sold it for about 3 times the price for a 4(easily paid for the whole sub x3). The 5 was rejected because of centering, I really though this would get a 6.

Just from my experience the card really has to be a cut above the grade, but centering imo was what they looked at the hardest.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Al,

I like you already. I put Global Warming in the same category as Santa Claus. I will at some point get to all 8s. If you want to swap my unreviewed 7s for 8s with a hefty slug of cash I could do that too.

MacBoube,

As I recall it was 3 of 110 for my T206s and roughly 4 of 20 for the rest.

Get my 300 card vintage submission back at the Philly show a week from Friday. Hope to do better.

Jim

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MacBoube

Good luck on your reviews. Let us know the bump %'s if you could. Are they all pre-war, or ____ ?

I have almost 50 AA's in for review that should be done in a week or so. We'll see.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Administrator

MacBoube,

65 1941 Play Ball PSA 8s, entire 1957 Topps and 1961 Fleer basketball excepy for a handful of 9s I have, 40-50 7s and 8s I upgraded and miscellaneous 1961-66 baseball superstars.

Picking up cards a week from tomorrow at Philly show.