NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2022, 08:36 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default What Would You Do ????

Asking for a high end client of mine….this is a good one and I really do not know how to advise …

What Would You Do ???

Say you had $150k cash to invest to hold for the next 25 years having had only two choices which one would you pick ?

1. A Killer Dead Centered 52 Topps Mantle PSA 5-6

2. 150k in the S&P 500 in his brokerage account.

Would also like to take into account the tax benefits of either or….hopefully Bob C can chime in with his wisdom guided by knowledge expertise and experience in the tax law field.

Remember you only have these two choices what would you pick?

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-28-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Dave

Does he have a wife?
Old 05-28-2022, 08:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Does he have a wife?
No can’t be wife
Old 05-28-2022, 08:52 AM

Good question. I say the stock market, but only bc it’s so beat up right now and top cards are so expensive. On the whole, I think the 52 mantle beats the stock market, but timing matters, and right now I think stock in top companies presents a better buying opportunity (“deal”) than blue chip cards, which are sitting at all time highs. .

Tax wise - under current tax code, the sale of stocks held for one year is a better tax result than the sale of a collectible held for investment.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 05-28-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:00 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Good question. I say the stock market, but only bc it’s so beat up right now and top cards are so expensive. On the whole, I think the 52 mantle beats the stock market, but timing matters, and right now I think stock in top companies presents a better buying opportunity (“deal”) than blue chip cards, which are sitting at all time highs. .

Tax wise - under current tax code, the sale of stocks held for one year is a better tax result than the sale of a collectible held for investment.
Very well said. I agree with you.

Thank You
Old 05-28-2022, 09:10 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:

100% agree, I would also add that we don't know much about the client other than they are "high end". I would assume the client has sufficient assets elsewhere but without knowing for sure I wouldn't act on that assumption. IMO it would be irresponsible to suggest the Mantle if the person doesn't already have a well rounded portfolio. From an investment prospective, the Mantle lacks the flexibility to withdraw a portion of the investment if needed. For that reason, without further info, I would take the stocks to protect the person when life happens to them.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 05-28-2022, 09:17 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
100% agree, I would also add that we don't know much about the client other than they are "high end". I would assume the client has sufficient assets elsewhere but without knowing for sure I wouldn't act on that assumption. IMO it would be irresponsible to suggest the Mantle if the person doesn't already have a well rounded portfolio. From an investment prospective, the Mantle lacks the flexibility to withdraw a portion of the investment if needed. For that reason, without further info, I would take the stocks to protect the person when life happens to them.
The gentleman is 50 has 950,000 saved in his 401k, two kids in college one is full funded the other has half funded two years to go in school. He has 160k left on his mortgage, looking to retire in 10 years.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-28-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:23 AM
Drew W@i$e

The answer is stocks.

The Mantle is great but stocks are better. With the market down, I see a prime buying opportunity.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
The gentleman is 50 has 950,000 saved in his 401k, two kids in college one is full funded the other has half funded two years to go in school. He has 160k left on his mortgage, looking to retire in 10 years.
Definitely the S&P in that scenario.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-28-2022, 09:53 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

The wonderful method of compounding interest leans heavily towards the S&P.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:53 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

With about a $1M nest egg for retirement and about a decade to go (and assuming he some day wants to retire), I think the more prudent thing to do is either invest in VTI or pay off the mortgage. If he had $4M+ invested, looking to alternative investments for the sake of diversity would make more sense.

Imagine a scenario where five years from now the 401K is worth $400K because of a major recession and he is a few years away from retirement (or worse, gets forced into retirement due to a bad economy). He still has 5 years on a mortgage, $400K in a 401K he can't touch, and he is trying to sell a very expensive piece of cardboard to a market where most of his customers have just lost 50%+ of their net worth. At least VTI would push out some dividends and he could liquidate small amounts in an emergency.

With that said, is he a big sports card collector? If so, the psychological benefit of acquiring and owning a "grail card" could tip the balance closer to even. But, if that card represents 10%+ of his net worth, then you could have additional costs of storage and insurance. So, unless he is as crazy as most of us on these boards, I don't think it is smart from a financial "investment" standpoint.

I also wonder about the timeline posed in your original question. You say he is 50. You also say he is looking for an investment to "hold" for 25 years. That puts him at 75 when he is looking to potentially liquidate the card. 75 is far from guaranteed to anyone. I am not there yet, but it seems like there is less value in a stockpile of money when you are 75 than when you are 60-65. At least in the stock market, you can liquidate smaller portions of your investment over the years for experiences and things that make your life more enjoyable or easier.

Last edited by Smarti5051; 05-28-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:10 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:

+1 agreed in addition the stocks gives you the flexibility down the road to take out of the market to potentially Persue the Mantle down the line and still have some or all of your original investment in the market with the growth covering your future card collection/investment

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-28-2022, 09:02 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Asking for a high end client of mine….this is a good one and I really do not know how to advise …

What Would You Do ???

Say you had $150k cash to invest to hold for the next 25 years having had only two choices which one would you pick ?

1. A Killer Dead Centered 52 Topps Mantle PSA 5-6

2. 150k in the S&P 500 in his brokerage account.

Would also like to take into account the tax benefits of either or….hopefully Bob C can chime in with his wisdom guided by knowledge expertise and experience in the tax law field.

Remember you only have these two choices what would you pick?
I think you cannot go wrong with the S&P 500. It's reliable, has weathered recessions and has stood the test of time. It out performs hand picked portfolio's by hedge funds. It's impossible to predict what the country and economy is going to look like in 25 years but I think it's definitely the better of the two options. I don't think if you asked anyone here on the board 25 years ago what the hobby would look like today, they'd be able to picture what's going on.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:16 PM
Michael

I have two children, one of whom cares about my collection and one of whom does not. In my will, I am leaving the collection to them both to do with as they may. But I see now that this might be a problem if one wants to keep it largely intact as a memory of their dad and one wants to sell it. They could try and split it in half, but while many items can be priced via a price guide, some are harder to price because of lack of comps or because they are not cards.

On the other hand, leaving an investment portfolio is pretty simple. It is sold off and divided equally.

But I am not about to sell the collection to finance the portfolio (or vice versa)…even though lately it has been more fun looking at the collection rather than shrinking numbers on a screen . Poor kids are just going to have to make do with inheriting my collection and whatever is left of my investments.

If he wants to buy and enjoy the card, then I am not sure where the investment advice comes into play. He should just buy and enjoy the card (it sounds like he is doing very well and this purchase would not impact him financially). And, as has been said, the more years of personal enjoyment he gets out of it, the more it becomes a personal item.

But I also don’t recommend the one card idea, especially if he wants to leave the children something they would want to keep as a memory rather than sell (if the idea is to sell it, then one card makes more sense, as does investment advice).

As has been mentioned, one card for two children could raise issues down the road. I like the two card idea, even if it may not be possible to get two cards exactly the same. Will the children quibble because they each have a similarly graded Mantle but the centering is not exactly the same? Maybe, but I think leaving one card to two people has more potential for problems.

Whether Mantle cards are a better investment than the S&P500, I will leave to others to discuss. I think it is amazing that this is actually a legitimate debate.

And the answer to “What Would You Do?” is to try and get into this guy’s will.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 05-29-2022 at 07:17 PM.