NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Default How to tell if a Ruth sig is authentic?

Is there a way to tell that a Ruth signature is authentic besides it having a COA from PSA or JSA, which in itself is debateable? For example, if a Ruth signature is on a ball, which is covered in shellac, doesn't that pretty much guarantee authenticity (and it would also have a PSA or JSA LOA to confirm it is not a clubhouse signature)? That is, none of the forgers have known to shellac a signature because it is just too much trouble, so these should be good?

I know people can debate the actual signature to death, such as whether the "a" is closed, "t" is crossed, curve of the "R" and so forth. However, I was wondering if there were other characteristics that would also help such as the wear on it? I know there are other stuff such as provenance, ensuring the item the signature is on is within the period, and so forth. Anything else besides shellacking? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
For example, if a Ruth signature is on a ball, which is covered in shellac, doesn't that pretty much guarantee authenticity (and it would also have a PSA or JSA LOA to confirm it is not a clubhouse signature)? That is, none of the forgers have known to shellac a signature because it is just too much trouble, so these should be good?
No, the fact that it's shellacked means nothing. There are forgers that will go to the trouble of using old balls (or scuffing up newer ones to look real old), old ink, and then use shellac. They will then try to "weather" the ball to make the shellac look old (I've heard they sometimes put it in to dog food kibble).
Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Really? Because I thought shellacked balls have significantly reduced values compared to non-shellacked ones, so I would have figured that forgers would not go through that much effort, which would also reduce the value of their forged item.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

A lot of people used to shellac balls to try and preserve them (before we all knew better) so some (not all) forgers will also do that figuring that people would believe a shellacked ball. I'm not saying everyone does it, and to tell you the truth you probably see less of them now (at least I do) but what I'm saying is that you can't think it's authentic just based on that.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
A lot of people used to shellac balls to try and preserve them (before we all knew better) so some (not all) forgers will also do that figuring that people would believe a shellacked ball. I'm not saying everyone does it, and to tell you the truth you probably see less of them now (at least I do) but what I'm saying is that you can't think it's authentic just based on that.
Just so you know, Marino used shellacked baseballs to make you think it was older. They would also age a ball by putting it in to an oven so it look dry and old. They would also scuff the ball or rub it with mud clean it do it over again untill you thought you had an older ball. At that time it worked today you would laugh at it.

Last edited by shelly; 05-08-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Dang. Thanks for the info on shellacking.

How about a cancelled check? It's not the Babe Ruth, but it's the G H Ruth. Assuming it has a noted TPA to remove the obvious forgeries, would cancelled checks be good? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Just so you know, Marino used shellacked baseballs to make you think it was older. They would also age a ball by putting it in to an oven so it look dry and old. They would also scuff the ball or rub it with mud clean it do it over again untill you thought you had an older ball. At that time it worked today you would laugh at it.
You forgot about the part of putting them in moth balls to make them smell old. -- Operation Bullpen
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

You can believe it or not I have never read the book. I never heard that or smelled that.

Last edited by shelly; 05-08-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Dang. Thanks for the info on shellacking.

How about a cancelled check? It's not the Babe Ruth, but it's the G H Ruth. Assuming it has a noted TPA to remove the obvious forgeries, would cancelled checks be good? Thanks!
I've seen a few cancelled checks with G.H. Ruth that were certed by ACE (Justin Priddy). The checks were washed.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Jeff

Sure there's a way, if you saw him sign it. Past that, there are only degrees of certainty.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think that it is a fact that there are many bad Ruth checks out there. One major warning. Never buy a framed check I dont care who signed it or who authenticated it. Easy to switch you have the letter and a bad check on top of it. Then they do it all over again.
I

Last edited by shelly; 05-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Craig

I posted the questions below in a previous thread and received no response from Chris. I still believe it is a fair and appropriate question. So I'll try again in this thread.

Chris,

First, let me say how sorry I was to hear about the loss in your family. I hope with time that peace and happiness fully replace the sadness and grief that you are feeling now.

As a complete autograph novice, I continue to be confused by these recent Ruth threads. I have looked at all the HOS articles related to Ruth's autograph (as well as net54 threads) and even in those cases where the examples are thought by most to be authentic (legal documents, checks, some balls and photos with invariant and tractable provenance) I can still see clear differences in letter formation and size, slant, pressure, flow and spacing. I assume these are, in part, the result of how Ruth signed (rushed or careful), how the item signed was stabilized, the time window in Ruth's career when the signing occurred, pen or pencil, etc. Even when I look back on my own signature over the last 30 years or so I see huge variations not only over the entire span but even within the same year.

So my question is how can anyone be confident (based on the characteristics of the signature only) that a Ruth autograph (as an example) is authentic? I find it very hard to believe that whatever the characteristic or combination of characteristics thought to define an authentic Ruth auto would not break down the more 100% authentic Ruth autos that are examined. This combined with what Jim S. had posted about the remarkable ability of the master forgers that have invaded the Hobby underscores my question.

Thank you,

Craig