NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-30-2024, 11:09 AM
Jason B

Default New(ish) member intro and question

Hi All,
My name is Jason and I have been reading the boards for a few months and wanted to introduce myself. I am 47 and collected as a kid but got out of it as I got older. Predictably I got back into it during the boom and got caught up in the $$$ and investing bit. I won a 1933 Goudey Foxx in a break and realized that card was much cooler to me than any of the modern stuff. So, I decided I'd much rather collect pre-war and vintage. My wife and I have saved up to attend our first National this year and are really excited. I have a couple of cool projects I want to begin working on in Cleveland (that are probably basic to you collecting vets), I would like to get a card of every Black Sox eight (minus JJ) and as a Red Sox fan I'd like to collect a card of their entire 1903 roster. In learning things through this site and reading and watching videos I've seen auction houses are also a good place to find things you're looking for. My big question is, in order to sign up to bid you need references, how would you suggest someone new to this part of the hobby gain those references? Also, any National advice when it comes to pre-war will be soaked in. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Old 03-30-2024, 11:24 AM

Hi Jason. You ask a great question - references required when signing up for an auction house.

When I first started, I used my eBay ID. That’s all I had. If you have done business with other well-known dealers, perhaps you can use them.

Auction Houses will all let you sign up, even without material references, but you may have a cap/ceiling on what you are allowed to spend, which does not always work. So I often had to call, introduce myself, and prove that I had the wherewithal to pay for larger items; bank statement, etc. Most auction houses talk to each other, so once you are signed up with one, you use that as a reference for another, and so on. And like credit, buy/win a few cards and pay and you will start to build credibility with an auction, which in turn could allow them to raise any bid cap without you having to prove financial ability.

Bottom line, call them and talk to them. You may get some different answers, but that’s the best place to start.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:03 PM

As to references, you can also use website's such as your Net54 ID, various Facebook pages that are collector oriented such as Tobacco Row and many others. As Ryan said don't be afraid to call and tell them your story, that you are new to the auction house environment, no one wants to turn away potential bidders. Everyone starts somewhere...
Old 03-30-2024, 12:03 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Hi Jason. You ask a great question - references required when signing up for an auction house.

When I first started, I used my eBay ID. That’s all I had. If you have done business with other well-known dealers, perhaps you can use them.

Auction Houses will all let you sign up, even without material references, but you may have a cap/ceiling on what you are allowed to spend, which does not always work. So I often had to call, introduce myself, and prove that I had the wherewithal to pay for larger items; bank statement, etc. Most auction houses talk to each other, so once you are signed up with one, you use that as a reference for another, and so on. And like credit, buy/win a few cards and pay and you will start to build credibility with an auction, which in turn could allow them to raise any bid cap without you having to prove financial ability.

Bottom line, call them and talk to them. You may get some different answers, but that’s the best place to start.
Great advice.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:13 PM
Jason B

Thanks everyone,
This is great advice! My brain is old school so I wouldn't think of Ebay, FB, forums, etc. as references., I was thinking actual people so thank you for this. Please keep it coming, I am so excited to learn about this niche of the hobby and see and hold some of these cards in person!
Old 03-30-2024, 12:57 PM
Brian Jordan

I started collecting again last summer after a three decade + break. I signed up at over a dozen auction sites using just my eBay ID and every one was approved. Some required 2-3 references and I just listed EBay multiple times. Some sites approved me so quickly I’m skeptical they even checked the references. Perhaps the references section is just to reduce the number of bot accts. Love of the game was the only site that followed up with me. I apparently left the references blank when I submitted but my eBay ID was enough to get me approved.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Welcome to the forum Jason.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-30-2024, 02:44 PM

For most auction houses the references are a lot more informal and less strict of a process than it might seem. If you start bidding on big money items they may check a bit closer. PWCC and Ebay are 2 of the quickest/easiest places to gain references.

Also, don't forget that when you're bidding the "buyer's premium" (usually around 20%) isn't included in your bid on at most auction houses.

Also also, if you win items of mixed sizes some auction houses will ship them separately and you'll be paying multiple shipping fees rather than saving on combined shipping.

Also also also, some will charge sales tax, some won't. For most, you can find which do and don't based on your state in their FAQ/rules.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:44 PM
Jason B

I appreciate all this advice so much. I have begun to try and pare down a want list for the National (I know I won't get everything, that's unrealistic) but I do want to start the projects I have and mind and I'm sure I'll get distracted by everything there and will pick up something I wasn't intending. For those that have gone, what would you say about the pre-war to vintage ratio?
Old 03-30-2024, 05:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just keep in mind what 'The National' is generally like...

godzillanationalFINAL.jpg

(Oh, welcome to the site!!)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonB24 View Post
I appreciate all this advice so much. I have begun to try and pare down a want list for the National (I know I won't get everything, that's unrealistic) but I do want to start the projects I have and mind and I'm sure I'll get distracted by everything there and will pick up something I wasn't intending. For those that have gone, what would you say about the pre-war to vintage ratio?
I don't know about ratio of pre war to vintage but there will be more pre-war at the National than anywhere else during the year, by a longshot. And welcome to the forum. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2024, 04:05 PM
Jason B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't know about ratio of pre war to vintage but there will be more pre-war at the National than anywhere else during the year, by a longshot. And welcome to the forum. Good luck!
Thanks Leon. I will be posting more often as I learn more for sure! Excited for the National, I've been saving pretty much everything for a full year. I want to wait until then to start my projects (don't ask why, I don't know haha. I think it's a mental thing of reaching a budget goal for the show). I think the 1903 Boston Americans roster might be the toughest to begin and complete, but I'm so excited to get started. Thanks again!