NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Default 1923/24 Tomas Gutierrez error variation

Posted By: fkw

Hi, I just noticed a variation in the caption of the Tomas Gutierrez H. Scheiber card.

I just picked up a Scheiber card today. When I was comparing it to Ryan Christoff's card in the SGC Card Registry set, I noticed there is a variation is the spelling of "Infielder" on the Scheiber cards.

Ryan's has the "Infielder" spelled with a "1" instead of the "e", mine has the correct spelling.
Just thought Id point this out to anyone who collects the set. Not sure if anyone knew of this variation as it is not listed in any checklist Ive seen.

Ryan's............................................ ............mine

Frank

Old 01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

I dont think there are too many of these Scheiber cards out there, but I wanted to take a quick poll.

Please let me know which Scheiber variation anyone may have in their collection.

So far I know there is obviously one of each

Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Looks like Ryan needs one more for his set.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

Frank! Good to see that you got the card. I was the seller of the one that you just recieved and the funny thing is that I won it in one of Ryan's auctions a last year I believe, maybe 2004. I only started dabbling in such sets in the past few years and haven't seen enough of them or done the research to realized that there might have been a variation. Very keen observation!

Bill

Old 01-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Sorry about the delay in responding. I've been busy preparing for my auction next week and didn't check the board for a few days. It figures that I would miss a post about the issue that is my #1 priority as far as sets I am trying to complete. Has there ever been a thread about this issue before?

Great eye for detail, Frank! I had only noticed that one by studying both examples next to each other. I've been geeking out on this set for years now and have had multiple examples of some cards, which is tougher than you might think when you consider it's an issue where the MOST common cards in the set have only 4 or 5 examples known and the population of most cards is 2 or 3 of each. Looking at several examples of the same card when they are physically there in front of you is the best way to pick out the variations. This set is loaded with little "variations" like the one you mentioned. I consider them closer to printing errors than variations, though. There are other printing errors that appear on the front of different cards, but most appear on the backs. Here are a few ways to spell "Tomas Gutierrez" other than the correct way:

First we have "Tomas Gntierrez" followed by "Tomes Gutierrez" and "Tomas Gutierraz."

There are many others that appear within the actual text on the back, which is strange because the text on the back should be identical on every card. It's interesting because they are all such minor ones: a missing period here, an incorrect letter there, etc. I've listed a few of the bigger "variations" (that appear on more than one card) on my website. There are too many card-specific printing errors to list.

Personally, I find that kind of stuff incredibly interesting, but truly thought I was the only one on the planet.

I can't tell if Paul's post was in jest or not, but (thankfully) I don't have to add another card to the list of ones I need to complete the set. If I considered this a true "variation" such as a different image on the card or different text on the back (not just spelling) I would need it. At one point I owned both examples at the same time and sold one because it was a duplicate, in spite of the print error. I would need to double-check, but I think those are the only two examples I've seen of that particular card.

As it stands, I am 9 cards away from completing what I consider to be the greatest of all Cuban baseball card sets. I'm 6 cards away from having every known card. Fortunately, all but Marsans are commons:

27 Papo Gonzalez
30 Armando Marsans
34 Joseito Rodriguez
35 Cheo Ramos
66 Abreu
79 Habana bandera

The other three (57, 58, 84) are ones where a single example has never surfaced. It's pretty frustrating getting so close to completing such a difficult set, knowing that it might literally be impossible to complete it.

I would be VERY interested to hear if there are others who are trying to build this set.

-Ryan

Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the great info. Very interesting for sure. I knew they were tough cards but wasnt too sure on how tough. Most I know of this set is from your site and this post. Thanks. If I ever run across a card you need I will happily let you know. The more I get into Cuban Issues the more interesting they are. One thing for sure the early Cuban cards are all very scarce compared to most US cards of the same era. Thanks Frank