NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Game Used Forum- Pre-1980

Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Default Awesome Estate Sale Pickup -- Charlie Sheen's Bat from "Eight Men Out"

Super stoked about this pickup and felt the need to share it with you guys. Today I was at a moving sale of actor D.B. Sweeney (Shoeless Joe in Eight Men Out) and while I was too late to get the screen-worn Shoeless Joe replica road jersey (which went for $900), I think I got something just as cool for a fraction of the price.

It's the bat that Charlie Sheen used as Hap Felsch in the movie! It's definitely a replica--they took a Louisville Slugger H119 and stained it to a Black Betsy-like color--and they stamped the Hillerich & Son logo and Hap Felsch name on the barrel. (I doubt there was attention to detail like this in "42".)

I got Mr. Sweeney to sign a letter of authenticity, plus he signed an Eight Men Out poster to me. I also got a picture of me, him and the bat.

There have been two Eight Men Out jerseys sold--one at Robert Edward Auctions for $5k, and Sweeney's home Jackson jersey went for $1200 at Legendary some years ago. There has never been an Eight Men Out bat at auction. The only three I know of are in a display at Cooperstown. And none of them belonged to someone this certifiable!

Not for sale as of now since I'm going to get it framed with the poster and give it a prime spot in the man cave for a couple years.

I haven't taken photos yet but it's definitely the bat from this card:
Old 05-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Nice pickup for sure!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:28 AM
N@te

If I remember correctly, the movie 42 didn't do a good job with their bats, all of which looked present day. Understandable I guess...

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Sean Brennan

Holy moly! My favorite baseball movie! Post those pics!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Scott

That's an awesome pick-up! I am a fan of baseball movie memorabilia. Even made a run at a Bad News Bears jersey not too long ago. Popular items. Please post photos when you can.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
qualitycards

Fantastic pickup
Lets see the shot w/ you & Sweeny (& the bat)
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Default Photos

OK guys, sorry for the wait. And yes I know I look like a maniac in the photo with him, but it was a long day and I was super excited. Here we go:

Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM

Default Screenshots

And some screenshots:

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

That is super sweet...congrats big time!! I guess after awhile everything becomes "just stuff" but it's sad when people sell off stuff like that...and even worse when I don't hear about it till after the fact
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM

He definitely wasn't selling it off out of need, nor do I think he valued it the same way you or I do. I got the sense that he had so much of that kind of stuff laying around that he didn't even think twice about it. He's really busy--he's still working, the family's moving, he has to take his kids all over the city to do their stuff like any family man--it would be the same as one of us selling an old set of golf clubs because we're tired of not having room in the garage. Plus the profits went to his charity. It was one of those super lucky situations where he got rid of (what he sees as) some clutter and got to collect some $ for his charity, and I got a keepsake that I really value.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Dan Bretta

Right place at the right time? Or did you hear about his garage sale? This is one of the coolest pickup stories of all time.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Any thoughts of trying to get Charlie Sheen to sign it?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
Sean Brennan

I'm surprised this movie doesn't get more praise. Its far and away my favorite baseball film. Other then the say it ain't so part the movie is pretty realistic and they did a great job on casting. Whenever I look at my bill burns t206 I think of christopher lloyd
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Dan--I keep an eye on the garage sale postings and check Craigslist at least twice a day, and I read it at about 1 pm day of. When I saw that there was going to be sports memorabilia there (apparently he's a huge sports guy so he had a ton of signed stuff laying around), I got straight in my car and headed across town. Someone snatched up all the best jerseys, including the Jackson--I wonder if he's a forum member--and I was beyond relieved no one thought to ask about the old-looking bat in the corner.

Mike--I'm certainly considering getting it signed, but I have two hesitations. The first is that I just don't know how I'd feel about it with a sig on it. The number one movie prop I've always wanted is the Noisy Cricket from "Men in Black". If I owned it, I wouldn't have Will Smith sign it because I'd want to hold the exact same thing he held in the film, and the one in the film wasn't signed by Will Smith when it caught my eye. The second hesitation is that I'm almost positive he would sign it with some horrible inscription like "Tiger Blood" or "Winning", the latter of which would be the worst possible inscription on a Black Sox-related item, right? Or maybe he'd come up with something funny and baseball-related, but either way, I'm afraid it would make the bat more about Sheen's latest antics and his less-than-stellar reputation. I'd argue that this is the most collectible bat from the film, since Sheen is by far the most (in)famous actor from the film and his 'graphs sell all the time on eBay, but I'd have to see how good of a replica job they did on Black Betsy before making that argument. But the way it is now, it's a relic of the old Charlie Sheen who was part of some of the best baseball movies ever, and I wouldn't want to risk it losing that appeal with a modern sig.

What do you guys think about getting it signed? I'm sure if I hang around the Cedars-Sinai psych department I could catch him by June 1.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Sean Brennan

Get it signed! 100% get it signed! It will not dimish the screen grabs at all
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Dan Bretta

I would not get it signed....get a signed card from the 8 Men Out set and display it with the bat. I just don't like signed bats, but I'm probably in the minority.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm with Dan - leave it as is.

Great find!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Bi11..R0berts

I'm with Dan & Scott, leave it as is. Congrats on an awesome purchase!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Very cool pick-up! congrats!

Just have to mention- your bat is clearly the one pictured with Sheen on the baseball card (and same photo above), but looks like he is using a different (brown without tape versus your black with tape) in the bottom 2 photos, but i assume you're aware of that.

i would NOT get it signed. leave it pure and untouched, just like it was used in the movie, and as Sweeney handed it over to you.

Also, i am NOT a huge fan of creating montage displays with cards, sigs, programs, tickets, etc. i personally like to have items displays singularly, and almost like a piece of art or sculpture in a museum. makes it even more special.

maybe get one of these from John Taube to put it in...(the top case with just the bat)

https://www.digitalfm.com/gameusedba...il.cfm?c=Racks

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-11-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Brock

I say get it signed.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Don't get it signed

It's more about your favorite movie, than it is about Sheen. I know I wouldn't get it signed if I owned it. And I wish I did. Nice pickup!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Fred King

Default DB SWEENEY "Eight Men Out" jersey

It was an amazing estate sale... Picked up the Shoeless joe "Eight Men Out" jersey and pants, his USA jersey and "toe pick" skates from "The Cutting Edge", a game used Ed belfour jersey signed to DB and also a game used Colt McCoy jersey from Texas.

If anyone is interested in the "Eight Men Out" jersey", let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.2 KB, 400 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Ha glad to see you on here Fred. Congrats!!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default for comparison's sake

Cool bat. Here's mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg felsch_ls_half_edited.jpg (78.2 KB, 367 views)
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Perusing Again

I'm going to med school next year and have posted this to B/S/T to gauge interest. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll have to sell most of my collection, since interest rates on my loans will be something like 40% by the time I graduate.

Just perusing this thread again and wanted to let you know, Mark, that that was a heck of a thread-ender. I had a great time sharing this one with you guys.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 AM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGamerN00b View Post
I'm going to med school next year and have posted this to B/S/T to gauge interest. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll have to sell most of my collection, since interest rates on my loans will be something like 40% by the time I graduate.

Just perusing this thread again and wanted to let you know, Mark, that that was a heck of a thread-ender. I had a great time sharing this one with you guys.
If you will have any used bats or worn jerseys, let me know

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM

Default Sheen Bat

EDIT--not sold. I don't wanna ruin this thread with $ though so I will take this to B/S/T if I get more eager.

Last edited by VintageGamerN00b; 07-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.