NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Default Yes, it's another Ruth question

Can anyone tell me when was the last "Charity" game at Yankee Stadium that Ruth would have made an appearance at (not necessarily played in)?

The reason I'm asking is I was offered the ball below on consignment, which comes with a "Letter of Provenance" stating that the ball was originally owned by a police officer working security at a charity game at Yankee Stadium in the 1940's who got Ruth to sign it. No mention of where it has been in the 65+ years since, but before I dismiss the letter as completely worthless, I want to see if it actually disproves the authenticity. The ball itself is a 3-starred Frick which wouldn't have been made earlier than 1946, so it's a fairly narrow window already (and I've already e-mailed Brandon to see if he can see any tells from the ball itself that would narrow the date further).

I would never consider a Ruth signed ball for myself because I'm far from being an expert and I figure there are at least several forgers whose skills outmatch my own, so the risk vs. reward isn't there for me personally. When turning down a consignment though, I'd like to have a better reason to give than, "It scares me." Any help or reassurance is appreciated, and I hope this is at least a fun exercise for anyone who chooses to chime in.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
John Smithwick

Just an observation - It's a National League ball but Yankee Stadium is an American League stadium. I suppose the policeman could have brought the ball with him to the stadium but that would seem unlikely. I also can't picture Babe carrying a bag of National League balls around with him to give away. Anyway, like I said, just an observation...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

In Jan 1947 Ruth had surgery and was in the hospital till Feb...he was pretty feeble. He went to Yankee stadium in April because it was Babe Ruth day and I'm guessing that was his only visit for the year until 1948 when he visited in June because they were retiring his number (he died 2 months later). That leaves 1946 and he did a lot of traveling until late summer when he started having pain over his eye (which led to his surgery the following Jan). I'd think if he was at a charity game it would be pretty easy to find some kind of info on it but I can't.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM

I would dismiss the letter and base the authenticity on the signature. Can't offer an opinion on it myself though. But someone should be able to.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Default Ruth Ball

I think the ball may be related to the War Bond Charity game at Yankee Stadium circa 1943....
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM

The ball's good. You can't fake that aged ink.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

The Ball is 1947-1948.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Christopher Williams

That is one ugly Babe Ruth forgery. Looks like a Coach's Corner "Babe Ruth."
Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Thanks everyone who chimed in. Sentiment on the signature itself seems mixed, but there are too many other "weirdness" factors at play here for me to feel comfortable taking this one on.

(Also, I think I responded to the PM I was sent, but have been having 'net difficulties, so let me know if it didn't go through.)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Thanks everyone who chimed in. Sentiment on the signature itself seems mixed, but there are too many other "weirdness" factors at play here for me to feel comfortable taking this one on.

(Also, I think I responded to the PM I was sent, but have been having 'net difficulties, so let me know if it didn't go through.)
Anyone who thinks that Babe Ruth is good.............
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 PM

...disagrees with you.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Christopher Williams

That's a Frankie Babe Ruth.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 PM

That's a Babe Ruth Babe Ruth, IMHO.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 03-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
That's a Babe Ruth Babe Ruth, IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
That's a Frankie Babe Ruth.
Although differing, it is refreshing to see concise opinions/direction from respected experts.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection