NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2022, 10:41 AM
J@E R1T0

Default 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame - tracker

Anyone here following the disclosed ballots for 2022 HOF? Looks like David Ortiz will be a first ballot HOFer. Steriod era big names guys getting close.

Here's a link to the well known tracker:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...K9u16pmWGGlQsI

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Ortiz *might* get in, but it's far from a lock. The numbers always drop once the non-public votes are incorporated. If Ortiz doesn't make it, this would be the second year in a row that the committee didn't elect anyone.

Carlos Beltran is the only first-ballot player with a shot to get in next year, though I think his ties to the Astros cheating scandal will hurt him a lot. You may see Scott Rolen as the only inductee next year, unless Todd Helton takes a big step forward this year. Then we could have 2.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:58 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default checking

I check it each day, gives me some sense of baseball news during the lockout. I don't think Clemens and Bonds will get in. The vote has fallen for the steroid linked guys at the end of the voting (over 11 percentage points for Bonds and Clemens last year) because the older, more traditional voters don't participate in the tracker. Although the composition of the voters is changing each year, and more young voters are willing to forgive bonds and Clemens of their transgressions, it will be too little too late. I don't think they get in, and they was their final attempt until the Committees start voting on them in a few years.

Ortiz is an interesting case. He's been hovering around 83-84% in the tracker, so even with a decrease at the end he has a good chance. Many traditional voters won't vote for him (at least on the first ballot) because he played so many games a DH. He'll eventually get in. As for this year, I think it comes right down to the wire.

Last edited by OldOriole; 01-24-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:03 AM
Jay Shumsky

Ortiz might get in, but if he does, it will be close.

Next year will be interesting because with Bonds, Clemens, Schilling and Sosa off the ballot, people who have been voting for them and possibly hitting the 10 vote maximum will have space open up to vote for others so some players like Rolen and Helton could get a boost.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Jeff H

I've often wondered how a guy that don't make the HOF in their first year of eligibility can be elected in future years. Did their stats change after they retired? My thoughts are that either you are good enough for the Hall or your not. How can you vote for a player in say year 4 or 5 but not in year one? If the voters can't see the difference between a great player and good player maybe they aren't qualified to vote. JMO
Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
I've often wondered how a guy that don't make the HOF in their first year of eligibility can be elected in future years. Did their stats change after they retired? My thoughts are that either you are good enough for the Hall or your not. How can you vote for a player in say year 4 or 5 but not in year one? If the voters can't see the difference between a great player and good player maybe they aren't qualified to vote. JMO
First-time voters

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-24-2022, 12:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
I check it each day, gives me some sense of baseball news during the lockout. I don't think Clemens and Bonds will get in. The vote has fallen for the steroid linked guys at the end of the voting (over 11 percentage points for Bonds and Clemens last year) because the older, more traditional voters don't participate in the tracker. Although the composition of the voters is changing each year, and more young voters are willing to forgive bonds and Clemens of their transgressions, it will be too little too late. I don't think they get in, and they was their final attempt until the Committees start voting on them in a few years.

Ortiz is an interesting case. He's been hovering around 83-84% in the tracker, so even with a decrease at the end he has a good chance. Many traditional voters won't vote for him (at least on the first ballot) because he played so many games a DH. He'll eventually get in. As for this year, I think it comes right down to the wire.

+1 agreed and if Ortiz misses this year he will be a lock next year.
As for Bonds and Clemens they will miss but probably get in with the next round in the modern players committee or whatever name they have now

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-24-2022, 12:15 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post

This is pretty similar to how I view it as well. I know there is a "thing" where people don't feel some players are first ballot HOF worthy, whatever that's supposed to mean, but get voted for the following year(s). If you think they are a HOF player, then vote for them. I don't understand the reasoning for all the games behind it. Last I knew the HOF doesn't have different wings/corridors for HOFers based on what ballot year they got in.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:56 PM
Jim Todd

Right now only 47% of ballots known, so not crazy accurate yet. Looks like the past few years they got 83%-84% of ballots by the end and had pretty close outcomes.
I agree, I never understood if the same voter penalizes a player by not voting for him the first year, but will the second. I understand if you change your mind about a player, but it doesn’t make sense to intentionally do it.

3B is traditionally overlooked by the Hall, and Rolen is a top 10 3B all-time in WAR. I hope he gets in. According to this he’s close again.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:00 PM
James M

Its insane to me that Bonds is not going to get voted in on the regular ballot. There are a lot of guys in the HoF who have transgressions as bad or worse than what Bonds allegedly did. And even if you subtract everything Bonds did in SF, the first part of career would have made him HoF worthy. The greatest player I've ever seen, and I don't think its really all that close.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:13 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
Its insane to me that Bonds is not going to get voted in on the regular ballot. There are a lot of guys in the HoF who have transgressions as bad or worse than what Bonds allegedly did. And even if you subtract everything Bonds did in SF, the first part of career would have made him HoF worthy. The greatest player I've ever seen, and I don't think its really all that close.
Have to disagree on the best ever. Hank Aaron is better in almost every stat except a handful of home runs. I think Hank is often overshadow by Willie as well who he also had superior stats to.
Conclusion, buy Hank Aaron rookie cards

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 01-24-2022, 01:34 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
If Mantle had taken steroids he could have played til he was 42 and hit 1,100 HRs. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2022, 01:48 PM
James M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post
Have to disagree on the best ever. Hank Aaron is better in almost every stat except a handful of home runs. I think Hank is often overshadow by Willie as well who he also had superior stats to.
I said that I've ever seen. I'm maybe younger than you and never saw Aaron play
Old 01-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
I said that I've ever seen. I'm maybe younger than you and never saw Aaron play
Ah, sorry I actually am also too young to have seen Hank play. Guess I glazed over the post a bit quick. But I still wanted to share that 🤣

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 01-24-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I completely agree here. Todd Helton is a habitual drunk driver, who has served jail time for it and he's left the scene of an accident. You're telling me that someone who did steroids is a worse person than that? Not on the planet I live on. Helton put people in danger who knows how many times in his life. If he ever makes it to Cooperstown, I hope he uses an Uber to get there. It's insane to me that Helton is picking up votes in the same year that Vizquel is (deservedly) losing votes by the boatload for what he did off of the field. Imagine Wade Boggs, who lost his mom to a drunk driver, having to sit on the stage while they celebrate Helton...that alone should make voters think twice about him.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 01-24-2022, 02:35 PM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Quote:
Like David Ortiz, who actually tested positive when Bonds was just on the Mitchell report (not to say Bonds didn't use, he did but Ortiz tested positive.). And Ortiz is a fringe HoFer with 55.3 WAR (regardless for who believe in it as a stat or not). I have no clue how Ortiz will get votes and not Bonds and others already got in like Bagwell, Rodriguez, Piazza and more while Clemens, Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire and Bonds were superior players and need the veterans committee.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:12 PM
James M

Bonds drew 688 intentional walks in his career. He drew 120 intentional walks in 2004 alone. That 120 total would have been good enough for the 94th highest career total in history. And he did that in one season. At age 39. Steroids or no, he was an unbelievable hitter, and I don't think the steroids helped him hit the ball further or swing faster. Recover more quickly? Maybe. But he was an absolutely freakishly good hitter. One of the best to ever do it.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Bonds drew 688 intentional walks in his career. He drew 120 intentional walks in 2004 alone. That 120 total would have been good enough for the 94th highest career total in history. And he did that in one season. At age 39. Steroids or no, he was an unbelievable hitter, and I don't think the steroids helped him hit the ball further or swing faster. Recover more quickly? Maybe. But he was an absolutely freakishly good hitter. One of the best to ever do it.
So he magically got even better in his late 30's but 'roids didn't help his performance. RIIIIIIGHHHHT
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-24-2022, 04:08 PM
Pete Sycks

I'll never understand how Scott Rolen might get in at some point. He was a decent player and only was in the top 13 of MVP voting once in his career. He was never great in any category and was average in most of them. I guess he's better than Harold Baines, so there's that.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-24-2022, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I guess they should not be called performance enhancing drugs then, wonder why people call them that?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I'll never understand how Scott Rolen might get in at some point. He was a decent player and only was in the top 13 of MVP voting once in his career. He was never great in any category and was average in most of them. I guess he's better than Harold Baines, so there's that.
Lower standard statistically for third basemen, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:26 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lower standard statistically for third basemen, no?
Third base is one of the least represented positions in the Hall so I think standards have generally been higher for third basemen not lower.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:39 PM

Looking at BB-R WAR:

Rolen ranks 10th in WAR among third basemen all time. The average WAR of the 15 Hall of Fame 3B is 68.4. Rolen put up 70.

And it’s not like he wasn’t recognized during his career…7 time all star, 8 gold gloves, etc.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM

MLB.com had an article today on the players who got elected in their last year on the ballot (well, last year of eligibility - technically every player elected gets elected on their last year on the ballot):

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fam...lot-c302974298
Old 01-24-2022, 05:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Third base is one of the least represented positions in the Hall so I think standards have generally been higher for third basemen not lower.
I don't think so. I think you'll find statistically that the 3B who have been elected are in a somewhat lower range than outfielders and first basemen.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 PM
Jay Shumsky

Average career WAR for third basemen is 68.4 and for first basemen it's 66, for LF it's 65.2, RF it's 71.1 and CF it's 71.6 (from Jay Jaffe HoF write ups) so they're all pretty close. By position, I know there used to be less third basemen than other positions. Chipper Jones and Ron Santo have gone in somewhat recently, but I still think the position overall is underrepresented.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:30 PM
Jim Todd

3B have the least HOF inductees of any position (only 17).

Here are 4 different 3rd basemen:
1.) .277/.362/.464, 342 HR, 62.1 WAR, 9 AS, 5 GG
2.) .306/.369/.448, 234 HR, 75.7 WAR, 7 AS, 0 GG
3.) .312/.418/.515, 309 HR, 68.4 WAR, 7 AS, 0 GG
4.) .281/.364/.490, 316 HR, 70.1 WAR, 7 AS, 8 GG

Santo, Molitor, Edgar, Rolen. All fairly similar mid-tier HOFers. And Rolen is the best glove of the group.

Schmidt, Mathews, Boggs, Brett, Chipper and Robinson would likely be top tier 3B for most in no particular order.

Then, also in no particular order, probably come these 4, plus Baker, Collins and now Beltre.

Who else would you guys put in the conversation?
Old 01-24-2022, 08:13 PM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtodd View Post
3B have the least HOF inductees of any position (only 17).

Here are 4 different 3rd basemen:
1.) .277/.362/.464, 342 HR, 62.1 WAR, 9 AS, 5 GG
2.) .306/.369/.448, 234 HR, 75.7 WAR, 7 AS, 0 GG
3.) .312/.418/.515, 309 HR, 68.4 WAR, 7 AS, 0 GG
4.) .281/.364/.490, 316 HR, 70.1 WAR, 7 AS, 8 GG

Santo, Molitor, Edgar, Rolen. All fairly similar mid-tier HOFers. And Rolen is the best glove of the group.

Schmidt, Mathews, Boggs, Brett, Chipper and Robinson would likely be top tier 3B for most in no particular order.

Then, also in no particular order, probably come these 4, plus Baker, Collins and now Beltre.

Who else would you guys put in the conversation?

Molitor and Rolen aren't in the same stadium. 3319 hits, .306 Avg, 504 sb for Molitor. Rolen had 2077 hits and 316 hrs in 17 seasons. Explain to me how those are similar players?

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 01-24-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Molitor and Rolen aren't in the same stadium. 3319 hits, .306 Avg, 504 sb for Molitor. Rolen had 2077 hits and 316 hrs in 17 seasons. Explain to me how those are similar players?
I don't know that they're similar...they went about things differently.

I found this pretty interesting, though...they both had a career OPS+ of 122.

I also thought it was interesting that Molitor actually DH'ed more than he played 3B...1,174 games to 791. The BB-R WAR lists are imperfect that way, maybe because they don't have one for DH (for example, Edgar Martinez appears on the 3B WAR list just after Rolen).

Last edited by Mike D.; 01-24-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:29 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

I will never understand voters who vote for Ortiz but not Bonds or Clemens or Rodriguez. Bonds and Clemens didn't even fail tests - Ortiz did*. Rodriguez did - and paid for it. Ortiz did and received no punishment.

Maybe if those three had given a profane speech and been historically awful defensively they, too, could get elected.

* - Ortiz and Rob Manfred have both confirmed he failed a test. It's not speculation, unlike anything surrounding Bonds and Clemens.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Average career WAR for third basemen is 68.4 and for first basemen it's 66, for LF it's 65.2, RF it's 71.1 and CF it's 71.6 (from Jay Jaffe HoF write ups) so they're all pretty close. By position, I know there used to be less third basemen than other positions. Chipper Jones and Ron Santo have gone in somewhat recently, but I still think the position overall is underrepresented.
Yeah that was one of the rationales being articulated for Ken Boyer but I guess it was unavailing.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I will never understand voters who vote for Ortiz but not Bonds or Clemens or Rodriguez. Bonds and Clemens didn't even fail tests - Ortiz did*. Rodriguez did - and paid for it. Ortiz did and received no punishment.

Maybe if those three had given a profane speech and been historically awful defensively they, too, could get elected.

* - Ortiz and Rob Manfred have both confirmed he failed a test. It's not speculation, unlike anything surrounding Bonds and Clemens.
Last I read Manfred was spinning a story about how it could have been a false positive.

I'm fuzzy on the Bonds story now. Didn't he acknowledge using the "clear" but claimed his trainer told him it was a lawful supplement?

Anyhow there is no good answer to this once you make an exception for anyone. Even if you don't make an overt exception, you've almost certainly already let in people who used but managed to keep the lid on suspicions.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-24-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

I saw Aaron play. More than once. He was a gentleman, and a Hall of Fame baseball player.

Ortiz. He hit .280 something and hit 540 something home runs. I think he played less than 300 games in the field. He can kinda border line (in my mind) get into the Hall. I'd not consider him 1st year eligible material. For folks who get hung up on positive tests, please consider being a bit consistent with that. Don't keep Bonds out if you're ok with Ortiz getting in. McGwire and Clemmons the same. Put 'em in (I lean towards that) or keep all of them out.

I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan. They may well vote Rolen in... but I think that he and Edmonds are just on the edge of not getting in. Seeing them on the field was nice, I was glad when a ball was hit anywhere near them, I was confident that they could play tight defense. But it wasn't quite like watching Ozzie at short. That was just about perfection. I saw Clemente and Mays play, and they could beat you with their gloves, their bats, their baserunning... Aaron was a great fielder, strong arm, he could fly like the wind out there in the outfield. I mention this because Ortiz didn't do that stuff. What's the next evolution, putting base coaches into the Hall for base coaching? And think who'll get in there for that, they'll start with a clean slate so no telling where they decide to set starting standards. Next they'll add pitching coaches, gotta have those.

I liked the Baines comment back there. And I'm sitting here shaking my head about Puckett getting in. And a few others. So maybe Ortiz and Rolen and Bonds and McGwire and the rest get in.

I'm not a Yankees fan, and I don't like the consequences (as I see them) from ARod getting the huge Texas contract that got players' salaries into a higher altitude orbit of outrageousness. I don't fault ARod, the owners did it to themselves and put paying the price of it, in the long run, on people going to ball games and people buying modern ball cards. (Those doing both take two hits on the burden.) MLB imposed a 1 year suspension on ARod, and he still had game for that year he missed. He had a great, HOF career, even after they took a year from him. 117 WAR, 3115 hits, 696 HRs. 17 players have a WAR rating above that. Ortiz' is about half that. ARod was a DH just under 300 games, about the number Ortiz was in the field. And ARod was in the field about 2400 games, about the number Ortiz was DHing.

ARod was a real ball player.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-24-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 PM
Bob Hamlin

Quote:
Peter,

I couldn't agree with you more. Rolen was a fantastic defensive 3Bman, but this hype over him is ridiculous.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Frank, I think it's inevitable that once MLB said OK to the designated hitter, the best designated hitters are going to make the Hall, despite obvious holes in their resumes relative to how we traditionally have viewed a baseball player.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-24-2022 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:38 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Last I read Manfred was spinning a story about how it could have been a false positive.

I'm fuzzy on the Bonds story now. Didn't he acknowledge using the "clear" but claimed his trainer told him it was a lawful supplement?

Anyhow there is no good answer to this once you make an exception for anyone. Even if you don't make an overt exception, you've almost certainly already let in people who used but managed to keep the lid on suspicions.
Peter, by Manfred saying there might be a false positive on Ortiz, he's admitting there was a positive, right? So Ortiz lied when he said he never failed a test.

You are correct about Bonds, admited in Grand Jury, he "unknowingly" took the Clear and the Cream but that it had no affect on him.

There are Steroid cheaters in the HOF, Pudge Rodriguez, just to name one. Does that mean they should make more mistakes? Just an analogy, because Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac were never caught, do we stop arresting people for murder?
Old 01-25-2022, 05:46 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Peter, by Manfred saying there might be a false positive on Ortiz, he's admitting there was a positive, right? So Ortiz lied when he said he never failed a test.
I think Manfred's point is that many (I think he said 10-15) players who tested positive had explanations that would have negated the test results. Ortiz could have been one of them, but the adjudication process was truncated since, in theory, obtaining definitive results by player was never intended and would never be revealed or used for any purpose.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:05 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

The use of steroids was (and maybe still is) way more widespread than we'll ever know. It's pointless to try to figure out who did and who didn't. Why not just assume everyone did and take the best players from that era and put them in the hall of fame. Isn't that how hall of famers are typically determined, by how they compare to others of their own era?

Shouldn't Bonds and Clemens be in just because they were better than everyone else during their era?

Think back to the 80's and remember all the cocaine users in baseball: Willie Wilson, Gooden, Strawberry. Different era, different drugs. Amphetamines in the 70's were widespread.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:22 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
The use of steroids was (and maybe still is) way more widespread than we'll ever know. It's pointless to try to figure out who did and who didn't. Why not just assume everyone did and take the best players from that era and put them in the hall of fame. Isn't that how hall of famers are typically determined, by how they compare to others of their own era?

Shouldn't Bonds and Clemens be in just because they were better than everyone else during their era?

Think back to the 80's and remember all the cocaine users in baseball: Willie Wilson, Gooden, Strawberry. Different era, different drugs. Amphetamines in the 70's were widespread.
Cheaters shouldn't be in the Hall. They lessen the accomplishments of all the players who played fair. They set a terrible example for everyone who looked up to them and they influenced countless teenagers to take steroids too. It is the most important factor anyone should consider when voting. Their actions should never be normalized.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:43 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
What was the banned substance that Ortiz took? I don't believe we even know. Some banned substance, not necessarily steriods. Where do you draw the line?

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:55 AM
Tony Baldwin

If Barry Bonds isn't a Hall of Famer by the end of the day, it's a failure by the Hall of Fame

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...lure-hall-fame
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

This is exactly my thought process. Every era has its "thing". If the MLB let's something affect results, then it's part of the game during the era it's allowed. They let roids save baseball.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-25-2022, 08:26 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
I think Manfred's point is that many (I think he said 10-15) players who tested positive had explanations that would have negated the test results. Ortiz could have been one of them, but the adjudication process was truncated since, in theory, obtaining definitive results by player was never intended and would never be revealed or used for any purpose.
Understood but the point I was trying to make was, whether the test was questionable or not, Ortiz claimed he never failed a drug test and thats a lie.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:31 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame - tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post

No chance Aaron is better than Bonds. Not even close. It's more than stats.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 01-25-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:42 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Cheaters shouldn't be in the Hall. They lessen the accomplishments of all the players who played fair. They set a terrible example for everyone who looked up to them and they influenced countless teenagers to take steroids too. It is the most important factor anyone should consider when voting. Their actions should never be normalized.

I think there's an interesting conversation around the purpose of the Hall of Fame. If you subscribe to the idea that it's to honor the best and most virtuous of the players, your point is valid. That being said, there is a long list of guys racists, cheaters, abusers, and awful executives who should not be honored that are currently enshrined. (Anson, Landis, Yawkey, Perry, Ford, Puckett, Alomar, Piazza, Pudge, Selig)

If you think the purpose of the Hall of Fame is to tell the history of the game of baseball, warts and all, you simply can't tell that story without Bonds and Clemens (and Rose and Shoeless Joe).

For what my two cents are worth, the Hall has clearly failed to establish itself as a place honoring the virtuous. It should accept that, and try to tell the best, most complete history of the game. Bonds and Clemens belong in Cooperstown.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:43 AM

Rolen's defense is what makes him a HOF caliber player. Rfield measures expected runs saved defensively, numbers to follow are based on Rfield. Now, at 3B, nobody touches Brooks, but Rolen stacks up well against the next tier. He saved 35 more runs across his career than did Graig Nettles - to take one great defensive third baseman. He did this, moreover, in 700 fewer games than did Nettles. So, he was saving far more runs per-game than was Nettles. And his best season is equal to Nettles' best season (30 runs saved).

Nettles, of course, isn't a hall of famer. But Rolen hit like Paul Molitor (as noted above, both have career 122 OPS+), and fielded BETTER than Nettles. It's that combination that will get him into the hall.

Given historical voting patterns, he'll probably get in next year, maybe the year after. He's at 69% on the tracker, and vote percentages for most players go down some when the final vote tally is in. So Rolen will probably end up in the mid-to-high 60s. Players with vote percentages in the mid-to-high 60s, and no steroid taint, usually get in pretty quickly.

Last edited by nat; 01-25-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:46 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I think there's an interesting conversation around the purpose of the Hall of Fame. If you subscribe to the idea that it's to honor the best and most virtuous of the players, your point is valid. That being said, there is a long list of guys racists, cheaters, abusers, and awful executives who should not be honored that are currently enshrined. (Anson, Landis, Yawkey, Perry, Ford, Puckett, Alomar, Piazza, Pudge, Selig)

If you think the purpose of the Hall of Fame is to tell the history of the game of baseball, warts and all, you simply can't tell that story without Bonds and Clemens (and Rose and Shoeless Joe).

For what my two cents are worth, the Hall has clearly failed to establish itself as a place honoring the virtuous. It should accept that, and try to tell the best, most complete history of the game. Bonds and Clemens belong in Cooperstown.
Well said!!!!
Old 01-25-2022, 09:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post

Would you put throwing illegal pitches in the same category of cheating or is that different? Genuine question, not arguing.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:09 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Would you put throwing illegal pitches in the same category of cheating or is that different? Genuine question, not arguing.
How about guys with too much pine tar on their bats?
Old 01-25-2022, 09:09 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
I put throwing illegal pitches in the same category as corking a bat, steroids are different, IMO.