NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default help identifying a few things

Posted By: travis

Could anyone tell me what exactly this is? Is it a harpers weekly woodcut? A print from harpers weekly? And is it authentic or a reproduction? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Also i have a acquired a glove that i believe to be fairly old from a relatives estate. However i have no idea what exactly it is, where it came from, the date, or value! I would also like help identifying that thanks so much everyone!Please email me at tlwise12@aol.com if you believe you can help because for some reason it wont let me post a picture of the glove on here----the glove has no padding, made of lehter, a button strap with RAWLINGS on it, and webbing between the thumb and next finger!

If this isnt a woodcut- does anyone know where i could purchase one?

[linked image]

Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

It is a Harper's Woodcut. The original was part of the magazine page, would be on light tan colored newspaper-type stock and have printing on the back. The woodcut is smaller than the whole page, so would have had to have been removed. As they stayed over the years inside the magazine, Harper's Woodcuts are often in strong condition-- so high grade itself should not make one fear it's a reprint.

The various Harper's Woodcuts are not hard to find on the market. There are also 1800s Leslie's Illustrated baseball woodcuts, which are similar style woodcuts that appeared in a similar-style magazine called Leslie's Illustrated Weekly.

While they woodcuts were pictures in a magazine, the key is that they were printed directly from hand carved blocks of wood. This is the same 'hand made' way the masters like Albrecht Durer and ancient Chinese made their woodcuts, and opposite to the reproductive 'second generation' way 20th century and today's magazine pictures are made.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks that was very helpful indeed! I greatly appreciate it!

Travis

Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

This is the Chicago Baseball Club, from the top half of page 652 in the October 14, 1882 issue of Harper's Weekly. This woodcut is #20 on the VCBC checklist.

There is a Harper's thread in the BST memorabilia section with more details.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/376270/thread/1231780350/last-1231855241/1865-1886+Harper%27s+Woodcut+Lot+of+13-SOLD

Doug

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

i got word from a seller that this is 8X10... i thought these were supposed to be 9X11???

Old 01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Travis,

it really depend, Harpers had a few different versions - but these are very common as reprints, just be careful when you are buying these

Jimmy

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Hunter

As mentioned above, the key to the authenticity of the Harper's Woodcuts is color and printing on the reverse. The Harper's are slightly tan in color and will always have printing on the reverse. Leslie's will also be off-white, but maybe not as tan as the Harpers. I bought one on Ebay one time that was a reprint, and it was easy to see the difference. When I contacted the seller, I really believe he had no idea, and immediately refunded the purchase price and postage and didn't even want the print back. In my opinion, the Harper's and Leslies woodcuts are one of the most economical ways to collect authentic 19th Century memorabilia. By the way, I also have a very nice woodcut of the 1869 Reds from a New York Clipper of the same year.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Well, i contacted the seller and he told me the back was the same color as the front and plain (no writing) so i guess its a reproduction!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If you are interested in purchasing baseball woodcuts, you'll be able to find them now or in the future. They're nice affordable items, worth purchasing.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn Davis

Certainly a reprint. The original was a half page (9"x7") of the 10/14/1882 Harper's Weekly, which was a newspaper and not a magazine. I think these are the best bargains in 19th century memorabilia and most of Doug's extensive checklist are not too terribly difficult to find, with patience. Many of the team images which show up on ebay are reprints, though. If you are interested, I have several extras for sale or trade.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

im very interested glen...email me at tlwise12@aol.com with some pics and prices if you dont care...and thanks so much for ur input! I very much appreciate it!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Travis,

I sent a long email to you, but it was kicked back; maybe it will go through to you later. I don't have photos loaded, but here are the extras I have to sell.

11-18-1865 Base-Ball Match Between The "Athletics" Of Philadelphia And The "Atlantics" Of Brooklyn $35 this is in a full Harper's paper
11-25-1865 Champion Nine Of The Atlantic Base-Ball Club Of Brooklyn $35
9-12-1874 The American Base-Ball Players In England-Red Stockings And Athletics $35
7-27-1878 Base-Ball At Blackville $40
8-5-1882 The Metropolitan Base-Ball Nine $35
1-26-1884 Baseball On Skates $25 matted
9-10-1887 Thrown Out At Second $110 double page, matted & framed

These are individual prices and include shipping. Better deal on multiples or all of them. Send me an email at RDN3RD@aol.com. I will get photos of all or whatever you want to see.