NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Never understood the current centering mania. Centering is a quality, but not the quality.
+1
Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You are entitled to live in the vast minority. Have you read everything?

I admit haven't read everything. Will try to catch up this weekend.

My opinions were a bit heuristic given PWCC's business is doing too well to risk for small $.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Maybe it's easier to just blame PWCC because most around here didn't like them to begin with. But if PSA is unable to determine what cards have been altered, and can't even determine if modern cards have been trimmed, what are we paying them all of this money for?
I've asked that question too, but can't seem to get an answer. If you were hired to do a job and you couldn't do it for whatever reason - you didn't have the staff to execute the job, you didn't have enough time to execute the job, you simply don't know how to execute the job - whatever reason - would you take the customer's money anyway? I hope the answer would be no. So why does PSA continue to do it? Why are they taking customer's money if they can't detect alterations? I'm sorry but, to me, taking money for a job you can't do is way more fraudulent than what people are accusing PWCC of doing.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I've asked that question too, but can't seem to get an answer. If you were hired to do a job and you couldn't do it for whatever reason - you didn't have the staff to execute the job, you didn't have enough time to execute the job, you simply don't know how to execute the job - whatever reason - would you take the customer's money anyway? I hope the answer would be no. So why does PSA continue to do it? Why are they taking customer's money if they can't detect alterations? I'm sorry but, to me, taking money for a job you can't do is way more fraudulent than what people are accusing PWCC of doing.
David,
If I could give you a fist bump I would.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I have pondered this for years also, David. The best I can figure, the registry has continued to drive the PSA machine...which I know isn't news. Also, many people stopped collecting cards in exchange for flips a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanip View Post
I admit haven't read everything. Will try to catch up this weekend.

My opinions were a bit heuristic given PWCC's business is doing too well to risk for small $.
That's why you need to read up. It's not small money, even by PWCC's standards.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree with David... it’s criminal.

Last edited by perezfan; 05-30-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:56 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Quote:
+1

And it's my opinion that the trimmed cards are being stretched prior to trimming, so they're being trimmed down to what the card should actually measure. A computer or machine will never be able to distinguish the difference between a card that's been trimmed and one that hasn't based on the size of the card alone. It goes back to what I was saying just a couple posts above. People want to rely on someone or something else to do it for them because they're too damn laze to educate themselves. Sad really.
Yes, lots of people are uneducated these days when it comes to raw cards but this isn't the golden days where most card purchases were made where you could actually hold the card in your hand and examine it BEFORE buying it.

How many purchases has one made with the actual card in hand to examine before purchasing in the last 10-15 years? Probably, not many with the exception of the National and other shows.

Card grading was a great idea that was greatly needed with internet trading being what it has been for the last 20-25 years but then the greed took over and what could have been good thing for the hobby, just gave some a license to print money.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The underworld is not transparent.

Show me the Card Fax.

Is buying a used card that different from buying a used car?

One benefits from the “repair” history of the car before the purchase.

Does the card doctor proudly put a sticker on the card to document his fine work?

Does the auction house reference their prior sale of the same card when the “altered and graded” card is relisted by the same auction house and have the gall to add a sticker that the card doctor omitted?

Does the grader acknowledge that the same, now altered, card has previously received a lower grade? Shouldn’t he know, even if there is no money passed under the table?

Do you really want to spend $10000, $20000 or more on a card without this information to garner an elite status gold star on a registry? Apparently many do.

To try to absolve any of the involved entities of guilt, by placing the blame on one of the others, is the pot calling the kettle black or vice versa. Are all the parties colluding in the scheme? Perhaps not to the same degree, but they are at least complicit.

If there was a true whistle blower at any of the stops along the way, the fraud would be uncovered. Blowout and Net54 both have members no doubt with skin in the game. But Redefining fraud to absolve oneself of guilt seems by most to be an insufficient tactic. To remain silent and wait for the wind to blow this away may be successful, but does not mean the fraud isn’t happening.

Disclaimer: I have never seen a Car Fax, or had any dealing with them

I would buy a 1992 Toyota without one, but would be more careful in the purchase of my Rolls Royce or Bentley.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-30-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The underworld is not transparent.

Show me the Card Fax.

Is buying a used card that different from buying a used car?

One benefits from the “repair” history of the car before the purchase.

Does the card doctor proudly put a sticker on the card to document his fine work?

Does the auction house reference their prior sale of the same card when the “altered and graded” card is relisted by the same auction house and have the gall to add a sticker that the card doctor omitted?

Does the grader acknowledge that the same, now altered, card has previously received a lower grade? Shouldn’t he know, even if there is no money passed under the table.

Do you really want to spend $10000, $20000 or more on a card without this information to garner an elite status gold star on a registry? Apparently many do.

To try to absolve any of the involved entities of guilt, by placing the blame on one of the others, is the pot calling the kettle black or vice versa. Are all the parties colluding in the scheme? Perhaps not to the same degree, but they are at least complicit.

If there was a true whistle blower at any of the stops along the way, the fraud would be uncovered. Blowout and Net54 both have members no doubt with skin in the game. But Redefining fraud to absolve oneself of guilt seems by most to be an insufficient tactic. To remain silent and wait for the wind to blow this away may be successful, but does not mean the fraud isn’t happening.

Disclaimer: I have never seen a Car Fax, or had any dealing with them

I would buy a 1992 Toyota without one, but would be more careful in the purchase of my Rolls Royce or Bentley.
Kinda

EDIT: Shoulda seen it coming. I posted before I got to the next line.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 05-30-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:58 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I've always been an Eagles fan (the band, not the football team) and methinks Glenn Frey hit the nail on the head when he sang (from Smuggler's Blues):

"thre's lots of shady characters
lots of dirty deals
ev'ry name's an alias
in case somebody squeals
it's the lure of easy money
it's gotta very strong appeal"

I think every line of this chorus applies to this mess. From PSA to PWCC to Moser and the other trimmers to eBay aliases and shilling to the exponential difference in prices of high grade cards (PSA 8-10). Though we own that last one.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I've always been an Eagles fan (the band, not the football team) and methinks Glenn Frey hit the nail on the head when he sang (from Smuggler's Blues):

"thre's lots of shady characters
lots of dirty deals
ev'ry name's an alias
in case somebody squeals
it's the lure of easy money
it's gotta very strong appeal"

I think every line of this chorus applies to this mess. From PSA to PWCC to Moser and the other trimmers to eBay aliases and shilling to the exponential difference in prices of high grade cards (PSA 8-10). Though we own that last one.
its those smugggglers blues!!!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:42 PM
Robert Williams

Oh lord...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2342

They really blew the color job on that one.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-30-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

And we’re supposed to believe PSA really missed that??

Seriously, if there’s a company who’s worse at the ONE THING they’re supposed to do, I’d love to know who it is. Nice job, PSA!

I know we’ve already said it’s the “tip of the iceberg”. But I’m honestly losing count of these now.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Does PSA remove the pre-altered grade from their pop report when they add the grade of the altered version of the same card?

Pop Report enthusiasts should consider this when touting their pops.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Oh lord...

yuck

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:08 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
yuck
And Peter....BOTH cards got the PWCC "High End" sticker. A '5' with a huge surface scratch like that, as well as a '7' with obvious color touch on it. I'm literally speechless right now.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Stickers trump grading in pre-school and in Oregon.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Does PSA remove the pre-altered grade from their pop report when they add the grade of the altered version of the same card?

I have put that request already in my wish list to Steve Sloan. There are some set registry ne'er-do-wells that probably still have them in their sets.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:14 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
And Peter....BOTH cards got the PWCC "High End" sticker. A '5' with a huge surface scratch like that, as well as a '7' with obvious color touch on it. I'm literally speechless right now.
And people thought it was crazy three days ago when I said the N162 or whatever was likely recolored because "PSA would catch that!"
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I feel a bit vindicated in my opposition from day one to these stupid stickers.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:

How classic would it be if the population of one of the modern serial-numbered cards that has had example(s) involved with this trimming scandal has a PSA graded population higher than the highest serial number... this might actually be out there!
Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A brand new group of altered vintage cards were exposed on BO last night. Many have had obvious color added, and PSA continually fails to detect it.

Also, Moser's net gain was recently posted for the poorly executed color-added Clemente Rookie.... Nearly a $7,000 gain on that one awful card alone.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM
Anson

What percentage of "freshly graded" cards do you think truly haven't seen a holder before? I think it's quite small and the pops are considerably off due to this kind of stuff.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This whole situation is f***ed. I don't collect the stuff that has been in these lists and posts but I feel just terrible about it for those who spent their hard-earned money on these fraudulent products. I also feel bad for this hobby. The vast majority of collectors and sellers are honest and decent folks who wouldn't dream of being part of a scam like this, and they (we) are all going to eat some financial crap because of this. All i can say to the doctors and their enablers is

damn you all to hell.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-31-2019, 01:46 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sad, but great post, Adam...

It's very disturbing that Planet Of The Fakes is the most prevalent world within the Collectors Universe
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Oh lord...

That's a pretty quick turnaround time for a sale, doctoring, reslab, and resale. 4 months. Hmmmm....
Old 05-31-2019, 05:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

The humanity.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1297033

Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's insane. Where does it end? Seems like just the tip of the iceberg.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN View Post
... but then the greed took over and what could have been good thing for the hobby, just gave some a license to print money.
THEN the greed took over?

Hahahahahahaha, I'm rolling on the floor laughing over here (and my hotel has hardwood floors, so it's a bit uncomfortable).

It was kind of early in the process when the greed took over...

Allow me to, once again, point out the very FIRST card that the biggest seller of opinions ever gave an opinion on (although it was pointed last time I mentioned it that they were probably giving that opinion for no charge)...

Ladies and gentleman, straight from being hand cut from a sheet, the first paid opinion that mattered, #00000001, I present to you the world's most valuable card, the authentic, oops, sorry, I mean 8 on a 10 scale, Gretzky Wagner...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner-00000001.jpg (33.5 KB, 396 views)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 AM
Doug Goodman

When a thread gets this long, sometimes it helps to post the same jokes.

And it IS a joke.

Doug "just call me the dead horse beater" Goodman
Old 05-31-2019, 06:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
That's insane. Where does it end? Seems like just the tip of the iceberg.
Recall these are just cards from the last few years from one source; there are many bad sources. And only cards these guys have been able to find before and after evidence. Even as to the one source it wouldn't touch all the raw cards he buys. We may never see the iceberg but we can infer its size. If PWCC really wanted to do good for the hobby (yeah right) it would come clean on each and every card consigned by a questionable source. Guess -- it would be a staggering list.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
When a thread gets this long, sometimes it helps to post the same jokes.

And it IS a joke.

Doug "just call me the dead horse beater" Goodman
The thread has to keep going otherwise this will get swept under the rug. Sometimes you have throw in a bad joke just to keep this thing going.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I have put that request already in my wish list to Steve Sloan. There are some set registry ne'er-do-wells that probably still have them in their sets.
So when is Sloan going to address this...publically?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:59 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
The thread has to keep going otherwise this will get swept under the rug. Sometimes you have throw in a bad joke just to keep this thing going.
They're actually good jokes, they have kept me laughing for years, ever since card #00000001 when everybody first stuck their head in the sand, trying to avoid the obvious.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Some?

Probably?

Hahahaha!

This thread is cheaper than drinking in a comedy club, with more punch lines.

And the people who get paid for their opinions are laughing all the way to the bank...

Last edited by doug.goodman; 05-31-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:50 AM
Paul

Default E95 Matty SGC 30 = PSA 3.5

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=2361
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6500A67-6D33-4E12-92CA-4D3C6E6BC51C.jpg (14.9 KB, 365 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-31-2019, 08:48 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

This guy can really recolor like a pro. Baffled PSA is missing these and so many more recolored ones found on Blowout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1029583197_o.jpg (68.3 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg 1029583191_o.jpg (70.6 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 1029579300_o.jpg (73.4 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg 1029579306_o (1).jpg (74.2 KB, 345 views)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Sadly, I would have been happy with that SGC 30 as it was...
Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Paul

Default Recoloring

I think he’s adding a light gloss to the cards after he recolors, so it doesn’t look like the surface is being touched. He gets “under” the patina that way.

@SignedT206
Old 05-31-2019, 09:29 AM
Jeff

The hits just keep on coming.
Great work over there on BO.

We're gonna need a bigger boat,.........err, Conservatory.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-31-2019, 09:29 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

This is all enough to make me want to exclusively go the beat up ball card route or return to picking up vintage photos that I like (mainly from RMY) and steer clear from this nonsense.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I think he’s adding a light gloss to the cards after he recolors, so it doesn’t look like the surface is being touched. He gets “under” the patina that way.
That makes perfect sense, but it should still fail a blacklight test. Why aren't these high dollar cards being examined under a blacklight? Is an extra 30 seconds in the review process really that much extra effort, especially on high dollar cards?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That makes perfect sense, but it should still fail a blacklight test. Why aren't these high dollar cards being examined under a blacklight? Is an extra 30 seconds in the review process really that much extra effort, especially on high dollar cards?
I am told he may be using a type of paint or ink hat doesn't show up?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:54 AM
+0m J()rd@N

For a computer based vision system with machine learning capability, the detection of alterations to cards, whether trimmed edges, recoloring or other alterations, should be easy to detect.

This is a grad student project to put together the system and to 'teach' it with known examples of altered and unaltered cards. You could also give the system rules for grading the cards. No human operator needed (or desired).
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
No human operator needed (or desired).
Then who would the card doctors pay the kickbacks to?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Then who would the card doctors pay the kickbacks to?
Someone still has to feed the cards into the machine.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Jeff Lar.son

Quote:
For a computer based vision system with machine learning capability, the detection of alterations to cards, whether trimmed edges, recoloring or other alterations, should be easy to detect.

This is a grad student project to put together the system and to 'teach' it with known examples of altered and unaltered cards. You could also give the system rules for grading the cards. No human operator needed (or desired).
I think you’re oversimplifying it. The reason it hasn’t already been done is it is incredibly difficult and complex.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Paul

Quote:
You’re absolutely right:

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2017/...uthentication/

@SignedT206
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not the same things, but they do use AI to help authenticate paintings. The paintings study the brushstrokes to see how they line up with the brushstrokes of known original paintings of the painters. Has even worked on Jackson Pollock paintings.

I very highly doubt humans will ever be removed, or should be removed, from grading, but new technology and science can certainly be used.