NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Don't you hate it?

When Dean's Cards lists his billion dollar inventory on OfferUp?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (84.0 KB, 910 views)
Old 06-16-2021, 02:49 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

I especially love it when he clogs up 12 consecutive pages on Ebay.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:17 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

I don't mind seeing some of the cards he has listed, he has an impressive inventory (mileage varies on the pricing).

This isn't specific to Dean's, but eBay should have a function that lets you exclude certain sellers from your search results. I'm not buying complete Goudey sets, I'm just looking to pick up a stray card here and there. Likewise there are some sellers who only sell garbage. I don't want my search clogged up with stuff I know I won't buy
Old 06-16-2021, 05:20 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I don't mind seeing some of the cards he has listed, he has an impressive inventory (mileage varies on the pricing).

This isn't specific to Dean's, but eBay should have a function that lets you exclude certain sellers from your search results. I'm not buying complete Goudey sets, I'm just looking to pick up a stray card here and there. Likewise there are some sellers who only sell garbage. I don't want my search clogged up with stuff I know I won't buy
Indeed, there are many times where I would like to isolate a seller in a search. I end up with search wildcards a mile long trying to filter out things I don’t want to see. It is a PITA many times over.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:30 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Probably why Dean's lists on Offerup. You can't weed those out. I personally have had enough with any listings from Dean's. Every single card/set is so far overpriced, it's a waste of my time.

Last edited by rdwyer; 06-16-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:51 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default excluding sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post

All you need to do is put 1933 Goudey -(Dean's) and his cards won't show up in your search.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:06 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Indeed, there are many times where I would like to isolate a seller in a search. I end up with search wildcards a mile long trying to filter out things I don’t want to see. It is a PITA many times over.
They have that feature; on the desktop, in the column on the left side, click More Filters, select Seller, Only show items from, set the filter to Exclude, type in Dean's username and hit Apply Filter.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:11 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
They have that feature; on the desktop, in the column on the left side, click More Filters, select Seller, Only show items from, set the filter to Exclude, type in Dean's username and hit Apply Filter.
Thank you!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:35 PM
Bill Cauley

Who cares? Keep scrolling.

Why do people have such a hard-on about Dean's anyway?
Old 06-16-2021, 07:46 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
Who cares? Keep scrolling.

What are you, a billionaire with bottomless pockets and therefore high and mightily just don't care?

Most of us don't like paying double for any card, no matter which one or set it's from. Thus we're sick of his endless listings. Him, PWCC, yada yada yada.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:25 PM
Bill Cauley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
What are you, a billionaire with bottomless pockets

Far from it.

Quote:
therefore high and mightily just don't care?
High and mightily? Not at all. Don't care what they price it at? Yeah, I don't.

Quote:
Most of us don't like paying double for any card, no matter which one or set it's from.
Double what exactly? Pay what you're comfortable paying.

Quote:
Thus we're sick of his endless listings. Him, PWCC, yada yada yada.
Then don't pay attention to them and find one from someone else.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:51 PM
J0hn H@rper

The endless listings are a more benign reason not to like him. What stands out to me is regularly offering stuff like '81 Topps baseball team sets (incomplete ones, no less) for like $20-$40 each. That's about $2 worth of cards, and he knows his market for that stuff is consumers who don't know any better.

It's purposely ripping people off and akin to being a snake oil salesman.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

From the 'New Directory of Collectorisms' thread...

30. Dean-noser (also Dreckonomist)
A person who, in the face of all common sense, always feels compelled to praise the well-known and heavily discussed eBay rip-off artists who laughably try to sell their cards for ten times as much as everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:06 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCauley View Post
I'm with you - put in a filter to get rid of his stuff and move on. I don't care one bit what he sells (or tries to sell) stuff for.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:40 AM
Albert Bee

Default Dean

Dean's has a real nice selection...excellent service..prices a bit high
Old 07-16-2021, 10:34 AM

What I find humorous are his "Almost Complete" set listings that are nowhere near complete. Here is an example of a typical listing like this that has a totally deceptive listing title:

Batter Up 1934-36 Batter-Up (R318) Almost Complete Master Set 5 - EX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29411347062...wAAOSwBx5g8YPx

Are 110 cards out of 192 almost complete? I think this is an extreme example of "the cup is half full" wishful (as a seller this term should actually be identified as deceitful) thinking. 110 cards are listed in the description...why not in the title?

I understand that there is limited space in the title, but to identify this group as EX is also not very accurate, as 60 of the cards are lower than excellent, with 32 of these being identified as Vg, and 10 being Good or less. Perhaps 'Vg to Ex' would have been more reasonably appropriate?

And why is this grouping identified as a 'Master' Set? A master set grouping for Batter-Up cards would have examples of different tints for each card. In the Batter-Up set there are 6 tints for each card #1-40, 4 tints for each card #41-80, and 2 tints for each card #81-192. This listing does not have more than one tint for each card #, thus not a single card toward a master set.

There are countless reasons I am not a customer, and this is just a humorously annoying one.

brianp(arker)-beme
Old 07-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

IF one of these type sellers doesn't update their listings often, sometimes you can find a good deal or two. I have bought from Dean's and made some money before. (once LOL)