NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-28-2021, 06:46 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Default Crappy hitters!

How can there be so many crappy hitters in the Majors today. You got guys hitting 160, 170, 180, Playing as starters every day. You mean to tell me that there are no better hitters in the minors. Most of these guys swing at pitches so far out of the strike zone that I can't believe it. Do they all need glasses or better training? It's sad to watch.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:26 AM
Jeff H

Frank, you shouldn't be picking on the Tiger's line up like that!

Yes I am a Tiger fan. This is really tough to watch.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:23 PM
J0hn H@rper

So far in 2021, the majors are on a pace for lowest league batting avg for a year in the game's history (.236) and most strikeouts per game in history.

Granted run production is far from at its worst (since hitters walk and hit homers more often), but still. Not pretty.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:45 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
How can there be so many crappy hitters in the Majors today. You got guys hitting 160, 170, 180, Playing as starters every day. You mean to tell me that there are no better hitters in the minors. Most of these guys swing at pitches so far out of the strike zone that I can't believe it. Do they all need glasses or better training? It's sad to watch.
the Game has become hyper specialized, resulting in a terrible offensive product. 98,99 MPH fastballs with devastating breaking pitches are now the norm. Most guys are putting everything into every pitch because most guys, nowadays, aren't going the distance. Pitchers are throwing harder and not working as deep into games which means hitters have less of a chance to pick up and get used to a guy.

3 true outcomes has taken over the game as well. Homeruns, strikeout and walks are the only things that matter. Slap hitters don't exist anymore, they've been deemed obsolete. I hate the onfield product, it's borderline unbearable and games are longer because of it. And more expensive to boot! Can't take a family to an afternoon game nowadays unless you have hundreds of dollars to spend!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:38 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
And more expensive to boot! Can't take a family to an afternoon game nowadays unless you have hundreds of dollars to spend!
Yet MLB thought rural America would be okay giving up their MiLB teams and still be interested in their MLB product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-29-2021, 03:23 AM
Bill Gregory

My bad. I thought this was a thread devoted to the 2021 Milwaukee Brewers.

My team, the team I have followed passionately since 1978, 50 games into the 2021 season, nearly 1/3 of the season played, is batting .209. The team's collective OPS+ is 80, meaning their .649 OPS is 20% below National League average.

To put this in perspective: the Brewers were born in 1970, after moving from Seattle, where the Pilots were an expansion team in 1969.

This is the 53rd season of Milwaukee Brewer baseball. The Brewers have historically had some real powerhouse offenses, and haven't been able to develop starting pitchers worth a damn. Now, we have two of the best starting pitchers in baseball in Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes, and can't hit worth a lick.

That .649 OPS is the third worst in team history.

2021 .649 OPS, NL average .701 (-0.52) 80 OPS+
1971 .633 OPS, AL average .681 (-0.48) 81 OPS+
1972 .629 OPS, AL average .649 (-0.20) 90 OPS+

Relative to league average, however, this is the worst offense in the 53 year history of the Milwaukee Brewers.

But I remain hopeful!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:09 PM
Derek

Emphasis on Slugging % + pitcher's doctoring baseballs = dismal BA.

Spin Rate science has turned decent pitcher's to unhittable pitcher's. Rosin and sunscreen (technically illegal but accepted) make an almost super glue tackiness. I'd bet 99% of pitcher's in mlb are using something besides rosin to increase grip which increase spin Rate.
Players are vocal about it, but MLB has basically said 2021 will be an investigative season. Use the doctoring as bargaining chips with the players union. Just like the DH