NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-15-2021, 12:33 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Default How do you package and send cards to TPG's to keep them secure

Those of you that send in cards to TPG's:

What is your method of sending cards in to ensure you get the maximum return of your order?

Do you send then in in soft card holders then into hard top loaders, does that scratch the surface of the cards? Do you use a different method, can you please share?

How do you protect your cards that you send in for grading that keeps them from getting any damage/scratches between your place and the grading company?

While I am not the greatest fan of grading, the maximum ROI is not lost on me either. Facts are card grading is not going away. I have a number of cards I want to get the most out of and if I have to spend something upfront to get the highest possible return, then I need to do this as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:33 PM
Eric Perry

I have only sent cards to SGC in recent years. There were a total of four; one reholder and three 2011 Topps Mike Trout rookies.

I opened the cards in 2011 and soft sleeved/top loaded them right away. It's not like I saw Trout as a future star of epic proportions. All the rookie cards get this treatment when I open packs.

Anyway, I kept them in the soft sleeve/top loader all the way up to the point when I sent them to SGC. Here's the method I used to pack them:
  • New Ultra-Pro soft sleeve
  • Sleeve into a new Ultra-Pro 3x4 top loader
  • Top loader into a graded card sleeve (opening of the top loader flush against bottom of the graded card sleeve, so it cannot inadvertently slide out)
  • Fill rest of the graded card sleeve with empty top loaders (a total of 10 top loaders will fit nicely)
  • Seal the graded card sleeve and encase in bubble wrap
  • Put the bubble wrapped package inside a small box, labeled "RAW CARDS INSIDE" (make sure contents cannot move during shipment)
  • Pack this box inside a larger box, well-protected with packing peanuts to prevent the contents from moving during shipment

Again, this is what I did for a few cards a little over a year ago. No guarantees this will work in any particular circumstance. From what I understand, grading companies prefer items be shipped in CardSavers.

However, the cards came back 9, 9.5, and 9.5 - which is slightly higher than I would have graded them. I'm a harsh grader, though. Point being, they made it to SGC in the same condition as I sent them.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-16-2021, 07:45 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I have only sent cards to SGC in recent years. There were a total of four; one reholder and three 2011 Topps Mike Trout rookies.

I opened the cards in 2011 and soft sleeved/top loaded them right away. It's not like I saw Trout as a future star of epic proportions. All the rookie cards get this treatment when I open packs.

Anyway, I kept them in the soft sleeve/top loader all the way up to the point when I sent them to SGC. Here's the method I used to pack them:
  • New Ultra-Pro soft sleeve
  • Sleeve into a new Ultra-Pro 3x4 top loader
  • Top loader into a graded card sleeve (opening of the top loader flush against bottom of the graded card sleeve, so it cannot inadvertently slide out)
  • Fill rest of the graded card sleeve with empty top loaders (a total of 10 top loaders will fit nicely)
  • Seal the graded card sleeve and encase in bubble wrap
  • Put the bubble wrapped package inside a small box, labeled "RAW CARDS INSIDE" (make sure contents cannot move during shipment)
  • Pack this box inside a larger box, well-protected with packing peanuts to prevent the contents from moving during shipment

Again, this is what I did for a few cards a little over a year ago. No guarantees this will work in any particular circumstance. From what I understand, grading companies prefer items be shipped in CardSavers.

However, the cards came back 9, 9.5, and 9.5 - which is slightly higher than I would have graded them. I'm a harsh grader, though. Point being, they made it to SGC in the same condition as I sent them.

Eric,

First, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that greatly.

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate your insight. You describe my concern accurately. Getting the cards to a grading company in the exact or as near as possible to how I pack them.

Thanks for the tips, I will use them when I send mine in.

Regards,

B.T.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's way more involved that what I've done.
My first few went in toploaders,but were dropped off at a show for later grading.
The ones I mailed were sent in cardsavers, as that's what the card companies recommend.
I don't use card savers, so I had to save them up from ebay and card show purchases.

After that, cardboard stiffeners, wrapped in bubble wrap, and sent registered mail.