NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Default Hake’s Auction #230 Closing TONIGHT- Muchinsky Collection, Negro League Items & More

Hake’s Auction #230 is online and open for bidding NOW at www.hakes.com. Hake’s is America’s first collectibles auction house, serving the hobby since 1967.

The auction closes September 23-24 with ALL baseball lots ending during the first session, Sept. 23.

In total there are over 2,000 lots covering a wide range of Pop Culture collectibles and Americana.

Featured are 200 pinback buttons and related items from the legendary Paul Muchinsky Collection.

Leading the way is the only known example of the 1916 Boston Red Sox World Champs advertising button featuring Babe Ruth. If you are looking for a one of a kind Ruth item for your collection, look no further.

Other Muchinsky highlights, including numerous rarities and his book examples, include:

1915 Schmelzer’s Sporting Goods series buttons, eight different including keys: Ty Cobb and Joe Jackson
1896 Paterson Silk Sox with HOF’ers Honus Wagner & Ed Barrow
1903 Boston Americans/Royal Rooters with HOF’er Cy Young
1952 Mickey Mantle Fan Club button and membership card
1905 Philadelphia A’s real photo button with HOF’ers Plank, Bender & Wadell
1906 Chicago Cubs Champs with HOF’ers Chance, Brown, Tinkers, Evers
1947 Jackie Robinson “Hi Teammates” litho

Not only are we presenting the premier baseball button collection ever assembled, but Hake’s continues its long standing tradition as the industry leader in offering Negro League baseball memorabilia by auctioning these incredible items-

1936 Negro League East All-Stars team photo with Paige, Gibson, Bell, Charleston, Johnson, Mackey. The only example known of this historic photograph.
1927 Philadelphia Royal Giants Vs. Hawaii Asahi (Tour Of Japan) Panoramic Photograph with HOF’ers Mackey & Cooper.

And for card collectors-

1923-24 Nacionales Cigarros Complete Cuban card album with the highly sought after 40 card baseball subset including HOF’ers Cooper, Mendez and Torriente. Another “only known example” and from the Richard Merkin Collection.

That is just the tip of the iceberg for the baseball (and other sports) section.

In addition to this there are hundreds of CGC-Certified comics books including Superman #1, Batman #1 and many other key issues from the Golden Age to Modern era as well as political items, original art, rare Star Wars figures and so much more.

Please visit www.hakes.com to view the entire auction.

Hake’s Auctions is always accepting consignments. Contact us today to see why Hake’s is the consignor’s best choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe.jpg (73.1 KB, 631 views)

Last edited by Hake's Auctions; 09-23-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Derek Granger

fantastic stuff! good luck with the auction!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-04-2020, 01:05 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Catalog

Can someone email need catalog for this auction as i buy toys thx guys.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Val Kehl

Having looked at the fantastic pinbacks in this auction, I have the following two questions for Hake's:

(1) Why does Hake's NOT show pics of the backs of the pinbacks? I am shocked that the "consignor's best choice" would not do this. The only major sports auction house that I am aware of that often doesn't "bother" to do this is Hunt, and Hunt is often criticized for this.

(2) How was it determined that the WaJo pinback in Lot #723 is from 1924, inasmuch as WaJo's Senators also won the A.L. pennant in 1925? Adding an online pic of the back of this pinback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Hake's, for your responses.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Hi Val,

In our 53 years of experience, and having literally offered hundreds of thousands of buttons, photos of backs have, with rare exception, not been shown. Neither bidders nor consignors have had any real issue with this, and anytime a back photo was requested we happily supplied them. We will certainly do this for you now with item #723 and moving forward, we will address this issue more.

As for the date of #723, we are going with the extensive research of Dr. Paul M. Muchinsky.

Any inquires, comments or questions can be sent directly to hakes@hakes.com and we will answer all ASAP.

Thanks,

Hake's Auctions
Old 09-15-2020, 01:53 PM

For anyone that wants to read more about the 1916 Babe Ruth Boston Red Sox button we are offering in our current auction, here is the press release-

https://hakes.com/Article/1250/245782

Last edited by Hake's Auctions; 09-16-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Incredible piece!

Last edited by Bicem; 09-15-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:15 PM

The auction begins closing Wed. 9/23 at 9:00 pm ET.

For auction closing procedures, please use the link below.

https://hakes.com/Article/1250/15474...ing-Procedures
Old 09-22-2020, 06:33 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Having looked at the fantastic pinbacks in this auction, I have the following two questions for Hake's:

(1) Why does Hake's NOT show pics of the backs of the pinbacks? I am shocked that the "consignor's best choice" would not do this. The only major sports auction house that I am aware of that often doesn't "bother" to do this is Hunt, and Hunt is often criticized for this.

(2) How was it determined that the WaJo pinback in Lot #723 is from 1924, inasmuch as WaJo's Senators also won the A.L. pennant in 1925? Adding an online pic of the back of this pinback will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Hake's, for your responses.
Great questions, Val. Here's my two cents:
1) For what these things are going to bring, it's absurd not to show the back. If I was a consignor of high-end pins, I wouldn't use a house that didn't do that. You could be leaving hundreds of dollars on the table on some of these, depending on whether the paper is there, etc.. And making potential bidders go to the trouble of requesting a photo or more info is ridiculous. With the competition for our dollars so fierce these days, that attitude borders on arrogance, for which Hunt has been accused for many years for their 20th century website, single photos unable to expand, etc. If Hake's is doing so well they can afford that same reputation, which Hunt's seems to find a decent bargain for not having to go to the insignificant trouble and expense of updating their site, good for both of them, but that doesn't mean we don't have legitimate complaints and can tell them with our bidding how we feel about it.

2) Unless Hake's has some information they have withheld from the listing, you can't tell me Muchinsky or Hake's didn't pull 1924 out of their butt simply because it was WaJo's big year and therefore more attractive to collectors. Muchinsky was THE guy for pins, I guess, but that doesn't make him omniscient. If that's the only example he ever saw, and he had nothing else to demonstrate or even hint at the year between '24 and '25, then that assertion is made up to take advantage of the fact that one is better than the other. To me, whoever tagged this as a 1924 issue, it goes a tad beyond puffery and into another category, in my opinion. I can't imagine much, if anything, would be lost by just calling it "1924 or 1925," and honesty is it's own reward, or should be.

Tags
babe ruth, honus wagner, joe jackson, mickey mantle, ty cobb