NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default what does everyone do to pay for their habit, er, hobby?

Posted By: quan

used to be a computer programmer, now i help run a website with my friends, lots more money in the private sector!

Old 02-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Im a partner with a law firm. I specialize in employment law - primarily defending companies that have been sued for discrimination, harassment, etc. I also handle quite a bit of wage and hour litigation (i.e. employees who are alleging that they didnt receive overtime, etc.).

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

I'm a mailman in Suffolk County, Long Island New York..You can catch me in the 'cheap' seats at Shea on off days...

Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

I'm an active duty Air Force master sergeant. Been in the Air Force for 20 years as of last month.

Steve

Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Just had my 25th anniversary working in family owned business manufacturing women's and kids activewear

Old 02-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

I'm an attorney for a small agency within the federal judiciary and promote the legislative agenda of the federal judges (salary increase, more judgeships, discretion in criminal sentencing, etc.). Eligible to retire soon and hoping to identify a second (preferably part-time) career.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Architect

Old 02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I met a 20-something woman at a dinner party who was a tax lawyer for one of those big accounting firms. She said she had troubles doing a tax related form for one of the clients, because his personal income had more digits in it than the form allowed! There literally weren't enough boxes to fit his income ... I don't know who this person was, but she had mentioned that her firm did the taxes for the Seattle Supersonics ... She said it's depressing when the margin of error in a client's income is larger than her income.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Nice to see this old thread come up so i could remember the good ole days when i sat around and did nothing but read about baseball.

Now i deliver food for my friends restuarant,the one i used to manage but i realized the drivers were making more than twice what i got paid for about 1/5th the work so i stopped managing and started driving. Also when theres no deliveries i watch tv and still get paid for it.

Old 02-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

In my spare time, I practice tax dispute litigation with a large law firm in Vancouver BC, spending my days fighting with the Canada Revenue Agency on everything from net worth unreported income (but surely never from unreported sales of baseball cards )to complex corporate tax disputes.

http://www.blgcanada.com/professionals/bio.asp?LKey=942

Max

Old 02-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

still in college...so i use my loan money...i think it supposed to be for books or something like that

Old 02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I'm an editor at a New York City-based newspaper. Currently, Mr. Discover card pays for my purchases. I'm working on paying him back.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

don't take plastic! I did find out that some people who accept paypal don't mind if you add a credit card to your account and use it--but I believe there's some sort of drawback to seller for doing this (you're not as sure buyer won't yank the money out from under you, or something). But paypal told me that the seller of the 1919 World Series ticket stub WOULD take credit cards through paypal (nice of them, I must say--paypal, I mean), and seller confirmed it, so I now owe Visa dough and have a ticket stub.

Terry K takes plastic, too...

But. not. Mastro...

Boy, you wouldn't catch ME paying for the privelege of accepting a plastic card for goods!

Old 02-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron

I'm an entertainment lawyer in Los Angeles (cliche, I know). My wife is a litigation attorney also working in-house in the entertainment industry. I fund my collecting by maintaining an uneasy truce with my wife based on dollar-for-dollar matching of her shoes to my sports memorabilia. She has alot of shoes.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

I am an equity trader at a hedge fund...prior to that I was a school teacher while coaching soccer, basketball and lacrosse (which I was an All-American in college).

Old 02-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted

I was the auditor of a major bank holding company in Michigan, but my 30 year career ended about 5 years short of the perfect retirement when we were acquired. I became a synergy. So I moved to Texas, do some consulting work in regulatory compliance, security and internal audit, and play with baseball, hockey, football, basketball and boxing cards. Looking forward to the day when I can play with cards all day and dump the consulting gig. But then my kids are only 10 and 13, so I have to be somewhat of a role model and do something other than play.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Peich

Having spent the better part of my life listening to people say, "Oh, you're an English professor? My worst subject in college was English," I've learned to accept my profession. Those of us in the professoriat don't have a lot of money, so I rely on buying and selling cards off-line, and I've learned a lot in this regard from Tim Newcomb (my colleague at West Chester University), and Ron Barrett and Rand Bailey, two of the nicest dealers ever to have graced a card show. I should add that I'm two cards short of completing my
T-3 set (Evers and Willis), so help me out folks.
I'm so pleased to know who Bowling-shoe-giver-outer-guy is (Lee, I think it's a great name). Finally, my hat is off to my wife, Dianne, who accepts my habit, and believes me when I tell her that my cards are part of our retirement plans.

Yours in the habit, Mike

Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

carpet store owner.

Qualifications are 2 parts mathmagician and 2 parts psychotic and 1 part megma.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

My background is nuclear engineering, but I now flip burgers. It affords me a lot of free time to do what I want to do. I also the own and help run Attic2Cash with my brother Lee.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin O

I'm a college professor--Medieval Religious History. I also write commissioned histories and historical survey reports for institutions looking to obtain national historic status and the accompanying shekels. My card money comes almost exclusively from that freelance writing and part-time electrician work (my Navy skill from the early eighties).

Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

Worked with computers for 30 years, last job as a Data Base Administrater, got out while I was still alive. Now on the internet and going thru auction catalogs all the time. Sell new stuff to buy old stuff.

Joe

Old 02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Chief Public Defender for the 21st Judicial District.
Everything and everyone from hot check writers to serial killers. (Two last year). A little of my 60's idealism survives or else I'd go back in to private practice and make more money to spend on cards. I miss the days when I was just a trial lawyer and not trial lawyer/administrator/babysitter/mediator/referee for everyone in the office

Old 02-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Lloyd

I'm a rocket Scientist for an Aerospace Corp. and on Roster to the United Nations as a Trained Weapon Inspector. I am always on the go with much travel and
find it hard sometines bidding on ebay while I am on the road..
Best

Old 02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

I am an investment banker for a German bank. I work in New York City (Midtown).

Old 02-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

a Marketing Director for a two hospital system in Southern Ohio.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

I have been selling steel for the last thirty five years. I did have a little time off for selling forged items in the autograph business. The total time off was six months. The total cost of doing what i did was $100,000,00.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I am a network design engineer (sales consultant )for a technology firm in Madison, WI. Essentially I help businesses develop data and voice networking solutions. When I'm not doing that I am a full time husband and father of a perfect two year old son.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I have my own engineering company that specializes in blast consulting. The 4th of July isn't quite what it used to be.

Rob M.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

I guess Im kinda the the jack of all trades so to say I do a little bit of everything building, plumbing, roofing just about anything to do with building or remodeling of homes

Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Morrie

Another college professor here. I teach industrial psychology, specializing in personnel issues (hiring, testing, etc.). And lots of stat courses. I pay for my habit by letting my wife feed her own addiction for online gaming (rpgs, not gambling), and perhaps more importantly, by controlling the checkbook...

Morrie

Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

I am a merchandizing guru at an industrial hardware store that sells just about every wacky widget and thingamabob there is, where guys literally spend hours spelunking down aisles with their jaws open as if they had just seen their parents procreating (spelunking is not quite the appropiate word, as the store is well lit, and frisky elderly folk are discretely directed to the nether regions of the stockroom). The English Lit/Creative Writing major may have helped me out in that last sentence, but it has had no real bearing on my career path. We do, however, sell bearings.

Not the most lucrative of jobs, but thanks to the careless handling of baseball cards by the youth of the first few decades of the last century, I can still afford this hobby (when I can keep my fascination with styrofoam cups under control).

Brian

Old 02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

you all sound like the class of '57 at Carlton College. The professors couldn't have been more radical. The students couldn't have been more conservative. I was doing all right there, till I suddeny became unable to read my senior year, due to a psychological-psysiological problem, and had to go to the U. of Chicago the following summer to get my diploma signed.

I was also a college English teacher for a while. Nobody ever noticed that I couldn't spell.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane

I'm a criminal justice student so my student loans are my support

Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

I am the online sales director for Tacoma Goodwill. I run a online antiques and collectibles business. We take the donated items of interest and value and put them online for sale on sites like eBay and shopgoodwill.com It is the perfect job for someone who loves collectibles (of all types) and has computer skills. We get in tons of cards too.... it's just too bad they are all new ones =) The best thing to have come in while I have had this job is a couple of early 50's Mickey Mantles........ no really good stuff yet... but everyday there is a great chance of it!

Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

As little as possible.

Actually, I've been in the test equipment business for over 30 years. Working for a large company you all would know. For the past 15, I've been focused on cellular phone test. My company now has about 2/3 market share for test equipment used around the world for production of all cell phones. Yes, that is a lot of business. I've been on a standards committe on how these things work for the last 12 years. Funny thing is that I just got my own cell phone about 6 months ago. A real technocrat.

I travel a lot, like good wine and good food; need to balance those against my waistline.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Little Lee

I'm a disabled Veteran, that's why my collection grows so slowly that moss some times developes on the binder before any thing new is added.

My main funtion in life is holding down my easy chair and changing the channels on the TV. <gg>

Little Lee

"Of all the things I lost in life, I miss my Mind the most" "Smith's Law, Murphy was and optimist"

Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I am a Systems Administrator for the college I graduated from. I have been there 5 years now. Cool.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Griggs

I'm a maintenance tech, for Freescale Semiconductor. I'm currently working on SemiTool platers, but most of my 13 yrs have been in hivac/metals.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I am an instrument repair technician. Ive done other stuff, but it always included instruments and repair.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Ross

I'm a professor of physics at a university in Virginia. For fun (in addition to blowing money on cards) I've written several books dealing with physics and the US Civil War, with a couple History Channel appearances thrown in.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I'm a Powertrain Engineer with Chrysler. I've worked on several projects over the last nine years but for the last couple have been happy working on the Hemi. My typical day includes testing on dynomometer, analyzing data, requesting new content, and sharing results with co-workers on how we will continue to produce a dominate engine.

Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Like Murcefan, I am an Architect, worked 20 years with a national firm in Boston area where I grew up and went to school and now have my own practise in Miami, doing work in Miami and Central America. Work is mostly high rise residential and schools. Pretty diverse group with a common illness - come to think of it not many doctors to help with a cure.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

1: I used to play fiddle for the "Soggy Bottom Boys."

2: Then I was a data processor for S.C.M.O.D.S.

3: Then I worked in a Turkish Prison.

4: I was the Dean at Faber College.

5: I worked on Wall Street for a while with Mortimer and Randolph Dukes.

6: I did a stint of undercover drug work for the LAPD with two guys named "Fat Sam" and "Gummy."

7: Then I sold unpainted furniture in Arizona.

8: I was a groundskeeper for a while at a golf club named Bushwood.

Name those movies!

Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

I'm an Accountant here in Las Vegas and I sell on ebay.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Administrator

airplane
trading places
fletch
caddyshack

...for starters

Old 02-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

1: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

2: Blues Brothers

3: Airplane

4: Animal House

5: Trading Places

6: Fletch

7: Raising Arizona

8: Caddyshack

Old 02-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Administrator

3 airplane
5 trading places
6 fletch
8 caddyshack

Old 02-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hal- You seem like a pop culture maven as I am, so here are two tougher movies for you:

1) I work as a hit man for Marcellus Wallace
2) I run a video store next to a convenience store, but I'm always closing so I can hang out next door

Others besides Hal are welcome to answer

Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Clerks

Hal didnt provide enough time for me to answer his. I think we need to get a bit tougher here:)

Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

O.K., it was too easy. I thought Clerks would be the tough one. Cool movie.