NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Default Is this card live or is it memorex?

Posted By: Bob Marquette

I just had to ask, this card is driving me crazy. Until someone with a "1" feedback hit it in the last 12 hours, the card was holding at about $50. The price should be 5 times the current amount with 12 hours to go if it is real. I realize the seller has a 100% feedback and believes the card is real, that's the good news. the bad news is the back is very tan and the front of the card has white borders and looks bleached. Couple that with the fact there is a tiny "abrasion" where the infamous "20" appears upper left on almost every E-90-1 reprint and the card looks a little dodgey.
Thought please...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5164903150&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Reid Bruce

This card is also causing problems with me...I really want to think it's real but there is something about it that doesn't look true. Other opinions would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob_L

Looks like memorex. I'm no expert, but aren't the colors a little to vibrant.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It looks real except the name on the bottom looks a little weak and fuzzy while the picture on the card is crystal clear.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The front didn't seem right to me either. But then again, I've only seen this card twice. Iw ould really need to have it in my hands. The abrasion on the back where the "20" would be is of major concern.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

look at the background color blue in the two photos. The blue is much lighter. They used a correcting program on the front image but not on the back.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Adam- blue? Am I missing something here, the background color is green.
Again the thing which really bothers me is the "20" thing. I emailed the seller and he said he has had the card along with the others for a long time, but as I recall that "20" reprint series came out in the 80's so it's possible he could have had a reprint and never knew it for 20+ years. I checked all the other E90-1s on ebay and also the completed sales within the last 30 days and not a single one has any smear or abrasion in that area on the back. that doesn't prove anything but it is curious. When I asked the seller if he would return the purchase price if the card turned out to be a reprint, he side-stepped the question, never answering it, simply stating that he had had the cards for a long time. I couldn't pin him down on the refund issue.
I guess we'll see who is the biggest gambler on the board as the card is a very tough one. I picked up a Peaches Graham the other day on ebay which is almost if not equally as tough and there was no white/tan front/back disparity like this one and of course no abrasion....

Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Reid Bruce

Bob,

I'm still steaming about your pickup on that Graham...if you get this one too and it's genuine, I just might go completely crazy!!!

(P.S. Let me know if you ever want to sell the Graham)

Old 02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

There are too many if's in my mind.

If that card were authenticated the dealer would make much more $$$$, why not authenticate it?

If the abrasion on the reverse were not there, would I feel any better about the card?

If I buy it and it is not real, how would I feel and what would I do?

etc., etc., etc.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

The front and back surfaces appear way too untouched for a card with as much corner rounding as this displays (IMHO).

Old 02-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob S foulpole

IMO the Sweeney is real- Note the first s in short stop ..I included a scan of my Sweeney. The text in the reprint set is much bolder in print. I hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I think it's real..I checked mine and the text looks virtually identical. Will the seller refund if it's a reprint?
Alan

Old 02-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Alan- see my post above. I never could pin him down if he would offer a refund if the card were a reprint.
I know you guys think the text is ok but no one seems to be mentioning the abraded area where a little "20" could have been obliterated. that more than anything else makes me wonder.
Bob

Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Not sure about the seller's return policies, but I vote real.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

if you have microsoft office there is a photo software with it that has a correcting feature. it takes the dull out of scans through plastic. the telltale sign is that when used the background against which the item was scanned will bleach out. the blue behind the card is much darker in the scan of the card back. that's why the front looks so white. whoever receives the card should not be surprised to find it not pop as much. i suspect that the back is not enhanced because it is creamy toned. if you use that software to auto correct a creamy item it yellows. try it with an OJ and you'll see what I mean.

i spend waaaay too much time at the computer...

Old 02-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Well, Martinsafe of the private feedback took a flyer and outbid the "1" feedback person. It would be interesting to see what the outcome is. This appears to be a card sold by an honest and reputable dealer but he MAY have unwittingly acquired a reprint 10-15 years ago or so. I hope it is real but the upper left area looks too dodgey and I remember seeing other E90-1 cards sold on ebay which had that area where the infamous "20" was printed, obliterated, smudged, erased or otherwise camoflauged.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Can someone please post a scan of a REPRINT so that I can see what this infamous "20" is supposed to look like?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Oh . . . fine HAL . . . I guess my site isn't good enough for you. . . . .

YES! I'm kidding....

Go to:

http://www.caramel-cards.com/e901.html

Old 02-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

After reveiwing Pete's webpage, I think the card is probably legit. The space where the "20" would appear on the back is lower than I thought. Guess the guy got a good deal...