NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Of Demmitt and O'Hara....St Louis Variations.

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Here's my take on these two rare T206 variations. First, I will start with their brief BB careers.

.............Demmitt.............................. ......O'Hara
Major Lges.
1909.....NY Amer....123 games............NY NL......115 games
1910.....St L AL.......10 games............St L NL........9 games
Eastern Lge.
1910.....Montreal....130 games...........Toronto....122 games
1911.....Montreal....153 games...........Toronto....147 games
Major Lge.
1914-15 Chi AL.......155 games

Both players are featured 1st in the 350-only series (as NY players) with limited backs than most other
Subjects in this series. Demmitt can be found with P350, SC 350/30, Carolina Brt, EPDG, and Tolstoi.
O'Hara can be found with P350, SC 350/30, Sov 350, and Cycle 350. Note....no Polar Bear backs.

Then by mid 1910 when the ATC started designing the T206's for the POLAR BEAR chewing tobacco Co.,
both these guys had been traded to their respective St. Louis teams....of which they played only a very
few games and were sent down to the Minors. Therefore, the T206 designers saw no need to continue to
print them with any other T-brand as Major Lgers.

The Polar Bear exclusivity of these 2 scarce variations is simply just a matter of timing (and, not a mystery).
My guess is that there are probably some where between 300 - 400 of these two variations in circulation.

Subsequently, both Demmitt and O'Hara are printed in the 1912 Canadian Imperial Tob. Co. (C46) set.
O'Hara continues playing for Toronto (his hometown) till the end of the 1915 season.

Demmitt re-appears in the 1914 T-213 (Coupon Tob.) set. The T213 fronts must have been printed by
American Lithograph, as most of the fronts are the exact ones in the T206 set. Demmitt has 2 cards in
the T213 set. The one I've seen, depicts him in the St Louis uniform, but his team is Chicago American.
I've never seen the other Demmitt, which I have heard depicts him with a NY uniform.....this, I find very
strange.
Does anyone here have a scan of the T213 - NY version ?

Well, that's my theory on these two elusive T206 variations....anyone care to venture another story ?

TED Z collection

Old 03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Ted,

Obviously, this all follows your thinking that T206s were first issued by Piedmont, being the 150 series cards... then Sweet Caporal? With Sovereign 3rd???

And it makes sense that by the time Polar Bears are being laid out, American Lithograph is adding Demmitt and O'Hara. Then they aren't added to whatever was next because D and H were sent down.

Here's my T213 of Demmitt, with St. Louis on the shirt and Chicago American on the caption.

Frank.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I cannot locate a picture of Demmitt NY in Type 2 Coupons anywhere. As I remarked in the other thread, it is strange both versions are issued with the Type 2's. I think some T206 mysteries can be investigated in conjunction with other T card issues that used the same fronts.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Ted,what are your thoughts on Bill Abstein since he was picked up by the St Louis Browns right around the same time as as Demmitt and left shortly after but he only appears with Pittsburgh in the set? Just when exactly were the Polar Bears produced if they have a guy who was with the team from Dec 1909-late April 1910 but not a guy who was with the same team from Jan 1910 till June of the same year

The timing of Abstein still being shown with Pittsburgh despite the fact he was gone Jan 6,1910 shows 350 series cards were printed before then,but Abstein appears in the Broadleaf series too so they couldve been printed before Polar Bears too which means they couldve very well started printing them sometime after Dec 16th when Demmitt was traded but before Jan 6th when Abstein was. You could almost narrow down the printing set up of Polar Bear cards to a small 20 day window if thats true

Old 03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

1st....regarding Abstein, his T206 card in the 350-only Series; and, it is my understanding that this series
was on the "drawingboard" prior to Abstein being traded to St. Louis.

Scot Reader targets the issue date of the 350-only cards to have started in the Spring of 1910. Scot also
suggests, that the T206 guys tried to capitalize on the success of Pittsburgh in 1909 by printing many of
the Pirates players in this series.

2nd....While Abstein's cards are quite available (mostly found with Piedmont 350 backs), his card does not
exist with Sovereign, EPDG, or Polar Bear backs. However, as you noted, he can be found with some of the
tougher backs like Broad Leaf, Carolina Brights, and Cycle 350....but, of course, not too often.

It's my opinion that the Sovereign's were always printed later than the Piedmont's and the Sweet Cap's in
the 150 and 350 Series.....and, early in the 460 Series.

The Polar Bear's were issued in the later part of 1910. You might be correct....that Polar Bear's received just
one production run. But, they must of printed a lot of them, as most of the Cobb's (Red and Bat-off versions)
that I have seen....have Polar Bear backs.

Actually, I've been studying this paradoxical "back phenomena"; but, I have to do quite a bit more research.

T-Rex TED

Old 03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Are both the Demmitt and O'Hara cards in the M116 set listed as St. Louis? If so, that seems odd since they played with STL for such a short period. Or was it simply a case of perfect timing of the M116 issues?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

In M116 Demmitt is listed with St. Louis but O'Hara is listed with Toronto. O'Hara is in Series 17, Demmitt in 22, which means, I think, that O'Hara's card would have been issued slightly earlier. I'm not sure what this means for the timing of the issues relative to T206.

Tim

Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Anyone have a theory on why the Demmitt variation is more expensive than O'Hara and is offered less?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Bob,

I’ve been watching this for quite sometime about 7 yrs worth of auction watching and listings of both Demmitt & O’Hara. Actually the numbers are pretty close for both being offered, in some ways I have found O’Hara offered less.

But if you watch it comes in waves, a few of one then a few of the other. What I have found is the offering of the grades/quality of the cards. Most are heavily stained as you know, and very few if any are offered above VG at best. VG-EX to EX examples come up only once every few years, many times it has been the same cards. I think Demmitt pulls a bit of premium do to the fact that of the 2 he is the only card, which reflects the team change on his jersey in the card.

Those are just my opinion; I also have most of the images of the cards that have been offered if you’re interested.

Not to mention there is a very nice looking O’Hara up on ebay right now for about the same price as the O’Hara, which just sold via Huggins & Scott. However it is a much nicer card. FYI.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

My theory regarding Abstein and three other 350-only Pirates (Maddox, Miller, Phillippe, but excluding Wilson) is that they were double-printed or possibly 1.5X printed with the Piedmont 350 back due to the Bucs' victory in the 1909 WS. This is a case where the PSA population report tells a pretty good story. Maddox (171), Miller (167) and Phillippe (178) are the highest population commons in the report--with Abstein not too far behind at 149.

As far as 350-only artwork creation and launch, my view is Summer/Fall 1909 creation and Winter/Spring 1910 general release without Dahlen (Brooklyn), Elberfeld (Washington), Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis). The artwork for those subjects was created later than Summer/Fall 1909 and probably released later than Winter/Spring 1910. Of course, "release" does not necessarily mean launch at the same time with all of the brands.

Edited to Add: Marc Bourgea, who no longer collects T206, conceived the theory about the 1909 Bucs. I just ran with it.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Speaking of T213, Ames is shown with both Cincy and NY team designations. (Ames was traded by the New York Giants with Josh Devore, Heinie Groh, and $20,000 to the Cincinnati Reds for Art Fromme and Eddie Grant) Since he spent most of the year of 1913 with Cincinatti is his NY card rarer?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

It's a good question, and I don't know why. My experience in selling a Demmitt and O'Hara
(both "naked" and Vg) several years ago.....was, that I got a more $$$$ for Demmitt.
In the past year, I sold both (each graded 2) and Demmitt sold for slightly more than O'Hara.

What I find inconsistent here, is that I've seen more Demmitt's offered than O'Hara cards.

So, let's see what the "professional" price guides say about these two T206's.....

In the Ex column the 2007 PSA SMR lists Demmitt for 6,500 and O'Hara = 6000.

In the SCD 2006 Standard Catalog, an Ex Demmitt = 7500....an Ex O'Hara = 9500.
However, in low grade they are equally priced at 2000.

So, you figure it....I can't.

TED Z

Old 03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Is it possible that the POLAR BEAR production was just a "one-shot" press run......and, issued (as
you have noted in your research) late in 1910 ?

Whereas, Piedmont and Sweet Caporal (Fac. 30), the most prolific two brands, were continuously
produced with muliple press runs within each Series.

TED Z

Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

So Ted,do you think its possible that the Polar Bear cards went to the drawing board/press setup in that short time frame because of the timing of the Abstein and Demmitt acquisitions?

Or do you think they just left him with Pittsburgh because they were champs? I think if thats the case why didnt they change Bobby Byrne who the Pirates got midseason from St Louis in 1909,he was the regular 3rd baseman after they traded Jap Barbeau(who is also a St Louis only card) for him in august

Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Ted,

I generally think the so-called "assorted" backs (including Polar Bear) were first printed in the 350-only print run after Piedmont and Sweet Cap were first printed. For example, one article I read while researching T206 (I forget which one) indicated that American Beauty 350 was not launched until July 1910--well after Piedmont 350 and Sweet Cap 350 were released.

John,

It is paradoxical that Bobby Byrne and Jap Barbeau both appear in the 350-only series with St. Louis, even though one was traded for the other as part of an August 1909 deal. This means that some of the 350-only artwork was likely created BEFORE August 1909 while OTHER 350-only artwork was definitively created AFTER August 1909. More generally, this means that you cannot place a precise date on T206 artwork creation from team captions; T206 creation was a PROCESS, not an EVENT.

Scot

Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Scot,

That was one fine post.

Ted,

An excellent thread. This is what we should be doing....

Thank you guys!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

this is a very informative thread, i wish i could contribute something new to it, or add further knowledge...but all i can do is confirm what we already know: demmitt & o'hara are tuff cards to acquire in any grade, especially anything VG and above, staining always seems to be problem (polar bear only, obviously). i see a bit more demmitts than o'hara, but i find them pretty evenly priced.

look forward to seeing more findings evolve from this thread (also interested to see if we get anywhere else with the cobb/cobb thread)...

Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

You seek out high-end T206's....how many Demmitt's and O'Hara's have you seen in Vg-Ex or better ?

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

We are trying to "decypher" the thinking behind the "Monster"....it is, at times, un-decypherable.
Such as the team identifications of Barbeau and Byrne......yes, if Barbeau is with St. Louis, then
it goes without saying, that Byrne should be identified with Pitt.

Barbeau is represented on most 350 series brands except for Sovereign.

Byrne is only found with Piedmont 350, Sweet Caporal 350, and Sovereign 350.......all the other
usual backs have not been confirmed. In my experience over the years, Byrne has been a tough
card to find.

One added note....if my homework is correct, Byrne and Charles are the only St Louis (AL or NL)
players in the 350 and 460 Series that are not found with POLAR BEAR backs.

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Ted- believe it or not...i have slowly been liquidating my high-grade items...i am re-focusing on rare variations & rare backs.

i own a demmitt PSA 3 & an o'hara PSA 2. i hardly ever see high grade (or even mid grade) demmitts & o'haras. there was a demmitt PSA 5 on ebay a few months back (i believe the buy it now price was $22,000) but it did not sell. i have some older auction catalogs (mastro's, SCP-Harris Sale) with a 7 and an 8 of each (they now reside in the collections of two of the top PSA set reg collections.

bottom line is, when they come up for sale or auction, they are almost always in the 1-3 range. rarely see a 4 or a 5...and the very small hand-full of others graded higher are simply put away in the vaults...

Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

These two variations are becoming very tough to find in any condition, primarily because there are
several hundred near complete T206 sets (520+ cards) in collector's hands.

Scot Reader's estimate is that there are about 200-300 each of Demmitt and O'Hara (St Louis) cards;
and, I'm inclined to stretch those numbers out to 400. In any event, it's becoming apparent that not
too many more of these cards will be coming "out of the woodwork".

There are at least two Forum members that have Ex (or dare I say....better) examples of these cards.
I have had 3 of each.....and, the better 4 cards, I have sold or traded. The best one I had was in my
1st set and that was a Vg-Ex Demmitt. O'Hara invariably seems to be the tougher one to find in nice
shape.

The Demmitt and O'Hara I posted in this Thread are my current ones and they are the poorer examples
that I've had.

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

My Demmitt is an SGC 10 and my O'Hara is an SGC 20, but you can be sure they will not be listed for resale for some time as they will be cornerstones of my 521 card set. My feeling on those as well as my recent Magie error pick up was that it was important to stretch now just to add any example to my collection, since the well on these things will dry up as more people complete their near sets. Of course, if prices skyrocket on them, people who thought they'd never sell just might.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Hull

Interesting thread.
Hasn't the assumption always been that Demmitt and O'Hara were produced in the same quantities as any other T206 with a Polar Bear back? Given attrition over the years, it's likely impossible to know. Whether there are more Demmitts or O'Haras left could be because of the American Litho Company and ATC or dumb luck.

At any rate, every one of them, in theory, passed through here:

Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

T206Collector, now that you have the Magie do you have the ambition to pick up the Plank, and a low grade Wagner and Doyle? Its pretty darn rare to have the monster with the big 4. Obviously those that do sell the big 4 seperately at auction, but to have it all together in one place, what a beautiful site it would be!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Ted,

Not getting easier to find that’s for sure. I was kicking myself for weeks when I bought the pair below back in 2001, glad I did now.

I had searched for quite sometime almost 10+yrs to find nice stain free, crease free examples, with good eye appeal. The last few high grade or higher-grade examples I have seen echo Mike’s comments. Here are some of the nicer examples that have gone up for sale.

Demmitt PSA 6 Harris Auction Aug 2000 $5,971.32

O’Hara PSA 4 Harris Auction Aug 2000 $4,672.92

O’Hara PSA 5 Mastro December 2004 $12,719.07

O’Hara PSA 5 Superior August 2005 $13,455.00

Demmitt PSA 5 Ebay Feb 2007 2007 $22,000.00 BIN (Not Sold)

Interesting note the really nice set that sold in REA had O’Hara in a PSA 4 and Demmitt in PSA 3, yet had Plank and Magie in 4’s.The set breakdown was PSA 8 (2), PSA 7 (102), PSA 6 (183), PSA 5 (221) and (11) PSA 4’s.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

JOHN W

I knew you would show us your Demmitt and O'Hara.

But, what took you so long ?

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator

JAMIE

Great postcard of the Ohio Factory.

Your comment....
"Hasn't the assumption always been that Demmitt and O'Hara were produced in the same quantities as any
other T206 with a Polar Bear back?

I have heard this, also....and it would make sense, along with what I suggested earlier, that the Polar Bear
production was limited to one press run. And because both Demmitt and O'Hara (as St Louis players) were
no longer in the Majors in the Fall of 1910 when these cards were available in Chewing Tobacco pouches....
many of them were being "dis-carded".

I remember as kid, tossing BB cards of players that were no longer active in the Majors and keeping the ones
that I read about in the Sporting News.

Thanks for showing us your pix.

TED Z

Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Administrator

I think cards were tossed when the players on them were out of baseball.

I did that as a kid. It makes sense. And I think that contributes to a bit of a premium on T206 Powers cards... as well as many of the T209s, T210s, T211s... especially if the guys didn't go on up to the majors.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Wonka, great cards! Wow, thanks for the scans.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Mike Powers is one of the "Difficult Dozen" in the T206 set that are in the 150-only category.
He died in an accident at the start of the 1909 season.

So, you make a great point....and compound that with this card being a "limited-printed" one,
it makes it even tougher to find.

The same applies for two other cards in the 150-only category.....

Donlin (fielding)....who dropped out of BB at the end of the 1909 season to to go into vaudeville

Harry Pattee........who only played Major Lge. BB in 1908

TED Z

Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

<<T206Collector, now that you have the Magie do you have the ambition to pick up the Plank, and a low grade Wagner and Doyle?>>

What I did to afford the Magie was sell a small chunk of my collection -- my SGC 60 Johnson portrait, SGC 70 Tinker portrait, SGC 60 Baker, SGC 60 Crawford batting, SGC 40 53 Topps Mantle and SGC 40 54 Bowman Mantle. After I bought the Magie, I replaced the Tinker (SGC 40), Baker (SGC 30), Crawford (SGC 50) and have still to replace the Johnson (and will not replace the Mantles).

I could see, for example, selling my four Cobbs (SGC 60, 50, 40 and 40) and my three Mathewsons (SGC 80, 60 and 60) to afford a low grade Plank -- and, on a much larger scale, after I upgrade my 521 a bit more, I could see selling them all to afford a low-grade Wagner (though, admittedly, I've got a ways to go to get there, but you get the picture.)

I will never pursue the Doyle. Never say never, I guess, but I feel more comfortable (because it's in my best interest) to consider the Doyle as a post-1911 creation by some very creative people.

<<to have it all together in one place, what a beautiful site it would be!>>

Yessiree!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Speaking about the Joe Doyle (error).....I have to disagree with you. The fact that it only exists
with a Piedmont 350 back is consistent with my "Piedmont Primacy" theory, and was a legitimately
issued card when the 350-only Series was introduced in the Spring of 1910. Consider it an initial
2nd Series "goof".
Just like the Magie you recently acquired (which was an initial 1st Series "goof".....and the Magie
card exists only with a Piedmont 150 back).

TED Z

Old 03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator

But, I like what you did to acquire the Magie. It's something similar to what I have been doing, lately.
When oppurtunity "knocks", I've been selling/trading off my better Star cards in this "booming" market
to get these higher priced, rare cards (usually in lower grade) that I need for my various sets. The
Star cards are always found at shows and ebay.....and, can be easily replaced.....it is those tough
commons that are elusive.

And, that latter comment is exactly what's holding me back from completing the last 10 % of my T206
Sovereign set. This has actually been a "dream" T206 sub-set to put together; no Wagner, Plank, Magie,
Doyle (error), nor 48 Southern Lgrs, nor 70 "no-print" cards are required to complete it.

TED Z

Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

...important to get my foot in the door on Magie, Demmitt and O'Hara before they all go away for a little while in the hands of the 39 year old collectors that won't get rid of them for 30 or 40 years. I'd like to do the same thing with Plank at some point, but I just haven't seen the right opportunity to even consider it and, frankly, I happen to love my Cobbs and Mathewsons -- I'm not sure how I'd part with them, even if they are replaceable, because I picked them all up for (often well) under $1,200 each. Now that would be difficult if not impossible, except for the Red Cobb SGC 40.

With respect to the Doyle, I am sure there is very good evidence that the Doyle is a true variation. And I have no evidence that it is not. But I am sticking to my guns for the time being. I believe Bill Heitman (or someone with better knowledge than I) has posed an alternate theory which I would like to subscribe to, again, for purely self-interested reasons (that is, I don't own one and they're hard to find.)

Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Ted- concerning your response to the print-run question...

<<"Hasn't the assumption always been that Demmitt and O'Hara were produced in the same quantities as any
other T206 with a Polar Bear back?

I have heard this, also....and it would make sense, along with what I suggested earlier, that the Polar Bear
production was limited to one press run. And because both Demmitt and O'Hara (as St Louis players) were
no longer in the Majors in the Fall of 1910 when these cards were available in Chewing Tobacco pouches....
many of them were being "dis-carded".>>

...can you expand on the "print-run" quantity issue? i actually always assumed they were printed in LESS quantities...

Old 03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Interesting concept Paul, might have been a smart move on Magie, I passed on a VGEX about 3 yrs ago, thought 4.5k was too much. LOL and the last Magie I went to purchase was no longer available upon purchase.

However on the Plank even if you sold all those cards above.I still think you would fall short from buying a Plank. The last AUTH Plank went for $15,708.27

As for Wagner I could sell every card I own and still not get a beat Wagner.LOL

Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

My comment...."I have heard this, also....and it would make sense, along with what I suggested earlier,
that the Polar Bear production was limited to one press run."

....this speculation on my part; but, it would account for the limited availability of the POLAR BEAR's.

And, let's place this in the proper context with respect to the multi-press runs of the Piedmont's and the
Sweet Cap's (Factory 30).

Perhaps, Joe D. will chime in here, and give us the benefit of his printing expertise.....

"Where have you gone Joe D....we need your input ?"

Edited to add....are you asking about all the 300+ Polar Bear cards or just Demmitt and O'Hara ?

TED Z

Old 03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

In the April, 2004 Mastro Auction lot# 1083 was a Demmitt graded PSA 8! It sold at the time for $26,435. Guess it's worth more today.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

<<However on the Plank even if you sold all those cards above. I still think you would fall short from buying a Plank. The last AUTH Plank went for $15,708.27>>

Indeed, to raise 15K, I would also have to throw in my Lajoies (SGC 60, 60 and 50), my Young portrait (SGC 40), my Brown portrait (SGC 60) and my Eddie Collins (SGC 70).

So, if anyone out there wants to make the following trade, please contact me:

Your SGC 10 or "Authentic" Eddie Plank card for my:

Cobb Bat On (SGC 60)
Cobb Bat Off (SGC 50)
Cobb Green (SGC 40)
Cobb Red (SGC 40)
Mathewson Portrait (SGC 80)
Mathewson White (SGC 60)
Mathewson Dark (SGC 60)
Lajoie With Bat (SGC 60)
Lajoie Throwing (SGC 60)
Lajoie Portrait (SGC 50)
Young Portrait (SGC 40)
Brown Portrait (SGC 60)
Eddie Collins (SGC 70)

...then we may have a deal.

Indeed, the fact that that Plank went for $15K is precisely why I felt it was important to get my beater Magie now. I believe it will follow Plank up the price ladder. The reason I had held off was because I saw VG 3 Magie's selling for $4,500 and figured I would wait a little while longer. But then a PSA 1 went for over $5,000 on ebay a few months back and I felt it was time to act before it got any worse.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Paul,

I am a 39 year old collector thinking about picking up Demmitt and O'Hara sometime in the near future. I guess I have turned into a cheap stereotype.

Scot

Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

...the average age of Net54'ers came out to 39, I believe. That's why I chose that age.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Which makes me even more of a cheap stereotype ....

Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Ted- i was specifically asking about demmitt & o'hara. i thought they were printed in less numbers (hense the rarity)...i didn't think that they were printed in the same amount of quanitites as other T206 cards or even other Polar Bear's, for that matter. obviously i knew (since i was 15) that they were only available with Polar Bear backs, but i also assumed there were much fewer of them printed then neal ball for example. i just assumed that ALL of the tuffer "team change" cards were printed in less numbers...

Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

...highly predictable.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

I’m with Mike on this I always assumed printed in fewer quantities due to the team change, and PB being the only one who noted the change. Is it also plausible to assume that perhaps Polar Bear had larger distribution in the OH, MO, PA area’s hence they thought it note worthy to note the change for these two veterans?

I think we all agree that there was some rationality to the distribution of these cards. I’ve often wondered if they went as far as too add more of local boys to the packs of smokes or chew heading to those particular areas??? Just a crazy thought…

Paul have an image of your Magie, congrats by the way didn’t realize you snagged one. Score Paul (1), John (wonkaticket) (0). LOL

Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) appeared roughly as often as other Polar Bear subjects in my survey, although I will grant that the survey sample size was not large enough to draw firm conclusions.

Also, for what it's worth, Lew Lipset states in his Encyclopedia:

"It should be understood that Demmitt and O'Hara are not rare within Polar Bear but [are rare] in T206 only because they came only with the Polar Bear back."

Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Interesting Scot so they came up as much as any other player with PB??? So for instance PB Cobb Bat off, or PB Charlie Rhoads??? Demmit and O’Hara showed up as much or as frequently???

"It should be understood that Demmitt and O'Hara are not rare within Polar Bear but [are rare] in T206 only because they came only with the Polar Bear back."

I’ve read that a few times in my life, always seemed like a redundant statement. Sort of like “Its not and Energy Drink, but a Drink of Energy.”

Old 03-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

This exactly what I was trying to convey......guys, we have to put this all in perspective.

All the other 300+ cards that exist with POLAR BEAR backs, also have been printd with Piedmont's,
Sweet Cap's, Sovereign's, etc, etc....
therefore, the Demmitt and O'Hara (ST LOUIS) cards are unique; and therefore, stand out in the greater
population of T206's.

TED Z

Old 03-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

"Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) appeared roughly as often as other Polar Bear subjects in my survey, although I will grant that the survey sample size was not large enough to draw firm conclusions."

Ted, that’s nothing new what Lew wrote, but what Scot wrote would indicate that a PB back card of any T206 player would be roughly as tough as a O'hara or Demmitt. Or am I missing something here? If he sampled say 3000 cards, and say 20 of both Demmitt & O'Hara came up but only 20 Cobb's Bat off pose also popped up with PB back. Wouldn’t that make a PB Cobb Bat off a really tough card back combo??

Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Ted, John:

In my survey, 126 of the 207 350-only subjects appeared with the Polar Bear back at least once. These 126 subjects were seen on average (mean) with the Polar Bear back 2.79 times. Meanwhile, Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) were each seen 3 times. Again, the sample size is not as large as one would like (358 Polar Bears in all), but is consistent with the view that Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) underwent a full print run with Polar Bear and are more difficult only because they were not printed with other backs seen on 350-only subjects (e.g. Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, Sovereign, Tolstoi, American Beauty, Cycle, etc. etc.) Consider that Polar Bear comprised only about 6.6% of the 350-only print run; this means that even if Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) underwent a full print with Polar Bear they would still be 15X more difficult than a typical 350-only subject.

Scot