NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2023, 04:03 PM
Chad

Default Card holder for gravestone?

Does anyone know of a holder that would be good for this application?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:10 PM
Rob

Pardon my ignorance, is this satire, or is there some modern subset that is referred to as "gravestone", like "Heritage" or "Sparkling Ice"?
Old 02-17-2023, 06:11 AM
Vincent Hecksel

I suppose it depends on several factors such as whether displaying/attaching to a vertical monument or horizontal flat stone, whether free standing or to be attached, need for UV protection, etc.

That said, I am not aware of a specific product for this purpose but image something acceptable using available products could be constructed.

I have encountered gravesites where both a child’s personal sports card, or the deceased favorite ball player pictured on a sports card have been displayed. But none using a product specifically marketed for that purpose.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:04 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Pardon my ignorance, is this satire, or is there some modern subset that is referred to as "gravestone", like "Heritage" or "Sparkling Ice"?
Nope. . Serious question. I'm trying to find something that is weather tight, and UV resistant if it exists? I'm wanting to put a card on a headstone or monument.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Vern View Post
Nope. . Serious question. I'm trying to find something that is weather tight, and UV resistant if it exists? I'm wanting to put a card on a headstone or monument.
Ask a gravestone company located near the closest cemetary. Increasingly stones have color photos and the like embedded, all of which are done in a way that they seemingly withstand the elements. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult. But, no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-17-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

I can't think of any pretty solution.

The closest I can get is a penny sleeve into an upside down toploader with some split tubing around the outside for weather protection. Or maybe copper foil like some stained glass uses?

Holding it onto the stone would be the challenge. If they allow construction adhesive that might work. But unless the toploaders are better now, it will need to be changed out every few years.

Polycarbonate- lexan- blocks a lot of UV, and a couple pieces with a gasket, and foiled around the outside could also work. With the same difficulty in attaching.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:15 AM

Yep, they've been doing this for a long time with photos; I'd think 100 years or more. I recently saw an episode of "Finding Your Roots". David Duchovny's grandmother died in the early 1930's. A photo was added to her headstone at that time, and it still looks good today.

While this goes against a collectability perspective, strong lamination in one form or another would be the best preserver against the elements if the card is just going to stay there forever. Just visit your nearest monument seller. They will know what to do for you.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:23 AM
Dave

Some old gravestones had pictures made of ceramic photos. I saw some on a website for gravestone companies that still make them.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:38 AM
Vincent Hecksel

One of the local cemeteries has a child's grave in which someone used one of those garden/plant stakes that allows placing seed envelope in top pouch. The stake and pouch are all metal, and the pouch only allows displaying the front of the seed envelope. But whomever placed it inserted an acrylic snaptite holder containing the child's personal baseball card into the pouch instead of seed envelope.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Some old gravestones had pictures made of ceramic photos. I saw some on a website for gravestone companies that still make them.
Good point. I believe the one I referenced on the Duchovny headstone was of this variety.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:51 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Hope you are feeling ok.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:06 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Vern View Post
Oh, I see now, I'm sure they make some sort of outdoor acrylic holders. Good luck with it.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Hope you are feeling ok.
Funny, I had a feeling he wanted to add a card to Clemons' headstone. Funny how one person jumps to an entirely different conclusion from another.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:21 AM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

Ultra pro has some thick 1/2 and 1 inch lucite brick screwdowns with UV protection. Maybe add a little silicone caulking to the seams for full weatherproofing?

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:23 AM

Does it have to be the actual card? Probably a company out there who can do a high quality engraving or enameling to reproduce the card image.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:28 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Does it have to be the actual card? Probably a company out there who can do a high quality engraving or enameling to reproduce the card image.
If you want a baseball card on your tombstone, I would do this while commissioning it. That seems the most sensible way to accomplish if it is how one wants to be memorialized.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Judging by prices on ebay, myslabs and other venues, it seems many people these days must want to be buried with their cards. There may be a market for coffins specially fitted to accommodate cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:01 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
...no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.
Of course not. How would they ever get people to re-sub anything?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-17-2023, 05:58 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Funny, I had a feeling he wanted to add a card to Clemons' headstone. Funny how one person jumps to an entirely different conclusion from another.
Close. Its actually his parents. Verne is resting in Florida. Me I'm gonna do the burn me, and dump me. After 1 or 2 generations no one cares anymore.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:22 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Judging by prices on ebay, myslabs and other venues, it seems many people these days must want to be buried with their cards. There may be a market for coffins specially fitted to accommodate cards.
Turns out you can take it with you...
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hearse w trailer.jpg (9.2 KB, 123 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-17-2023, 06:38 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ask a gravestone company located near the closest cemetary. Increasingly stones have color photos and the like embedded, all of which are done in a way that they seemingly withstand the elements. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult. But, no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.
That made me laugh out loud.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:00 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I plan to be buried in a mausoleum stuffed with cigarette cards. The unique pieces in my collection will be stapled to my casket itself, on an altar built out of Mecca boxing cards.