NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I wonder if other Criminal defense lawyers on this board would have taken on Brent as a client? Don't they have a choice?
I've thought about this exact question since I heard/read the news. As someone who graduated from law school in the last decade, ethical training has changed A LOT compared to how things were back in the 80's and 90's. I'm not going to get into anything personal or take sides. But for those curious about ethics I think there's certainly a generational gap that needs to be factored in here. While it may seem cut and dry to most these technicalities do change with time. Jeff and Brent stand a good chance at making it into a Professional Responsibility law book in the near future.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
All I can say to this is I’m sure 99% of you wish you were in the financial position he is. I’m not bragging because I’m sure he could care less what any of you think but again, he did not take this case for the fee. As hard as this may be to do, try and think through how this problem would have played out without his involvement. Like all of the others maybe? People are getting paid back for altered cards, stories are getting written in national papers, and so on. Do you think with any of your involvement this could have happened? Is it better nothing gets done or all of us just complaining on message boards?
You're right. I probably do wish I was in the financial position he is in. On the other hand, I thank God I've got way more moral character than he has. Which is better? At the end if my life, when I'm laying on my deathbed, is it better to look back on my life and say, "I wish I would have made more money" or say "I wish I would have had more integrity"? He can take his money and shove it up his ass because money without integrity still equals broke in my book. He may have millions in the bank, but he's morally bankrupt.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
You're right. I probably do wish I was in the financial position he is in. On the other hand, I thank God I've got way more moral character than he has. Which is better? At the end if my life, when I'm laying on my deathbed, is it better to look back on my life and say, "I wish I would have made more money" or say "I wish I would have had more integrity"? He can take his money and shove it up his ass because money without integrity still equals broke in my book. He may have millions in the bank, but he's morally bankrupt.
David, unlike him you have no choice. When you’re broke with no possibility of that changing it’s very easy to choose integrity over money.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:02 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I could not care less about Jeff's personal life. It's just that -- his personal life. Nobody should be publishing someone's private text messages about personal matters.
Come on. You're smarter than that. If I have a lawyer representing me and instead of focusing on my case he's sexting his girlfriend, I'd be pretty pissed about it. I'm no lawyer, Peter, but isn't that grounds for a retrial if he's doing that in a courtroom? You say no ethics violations occurred, but I strongly disagree.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
David, unlike him you have no choice. When you’re broke with no possibility of that changing it’s very easy to choose integrity over money.
I assure you I'm not broke. But, even if that were the case, I'd rather be broke and have integrity rather than to be wealthy with no integriy.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Come on. You're smarter than that. If I have a lawyer representing me and instead of focusing on my case he's sexting his girlfriend, I'd be pretty pissed about it. I'm no lawyer, Peter, but isn't that grounds for a retrial if he's doing that in a courtroom? You say no ethics violations occurred, but I strongly disagree.
Now you're an expert on legal ethics. That is truly hysterical.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:10 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Paging Leon! Personal jabs here seem to be getting out of control! I might not agree with Jeff but even I'm wondering why these comments are being permitted.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The retrial is the part that I find genius. I am no lawyer so I could be seeing this wrong. Now if Brent doesn't get the result he wants cant he use Jeffreys posts on here to claim his lawyer didn't represent him to the best of his ability?

Also IF Jeffrey is doing this for the good of the hobby and not the cash. Couldn't he have donated his services to the FBI to put Brent away?

To me his recent posts said, hire me or I will bury you with all the evidence I have against you.

I could be wrong but this is my take on the situation.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:15 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think if you go back and look you will see I wasn't as much fooled as I took a wait and see approach. For the record, Mastro was never an advertiser on this forum. And lastly, if you go back and look, I can guarantee I never said either Mastro or Doug weren't guilty. I just wouldn't do that. It gets said so much it is believed but is far from the truth. Go spend some time and find it, you won't. Mostly it's little internet anonymous trolls that spread the lies and then folks like yourself believe them. It's ok, you aren't alone. I usually just let these kind of statements go but figure I might as well correct the incorrect record of some things. Now, that all said, of course both of those guys are charismatic. A lot of people committing fraud are. I should also say, at one time I admit I was friendly with Doug and Mastro but only in a few hobby scenarios.....and never knew they committed fraud until it came out they did. And in the end, except for restitution, got mostly what it seemed they deserved.

As far as Jeff defending Brent, while leading the charge against fraud in the hobby, I will let others discuss it.
Quote:
Yes he is my younger brother which only makes me even more infuriated that he would represent such a lying, slimy piece of garbage, who intentionally tried to f*ck me and did so to many of you. But all I can say now is grab of box of popcorn and watch this play out. Sometimes you have to lose a battle to win a war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Paging Leon! Personal jabs here seem to be getting out of control! I might not agree with Jeff but even I'm wondering why these comments are being permitted.
Because everyone is putting their names on their comments.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Now you're an expert on legal ethics. That is truly hysterical.

Do you not see the "?"

In the English language, that represents a question.

I don't profess to be an expert on legal ethics. That's why I asked YOU the question. I'll ask it again. If I have a lawyer representing me, but instead he's sexting his girlfriend in court during the trial, would I have grounds for a retrial?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:17 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Go to law school David and get back to us.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
I assure you I'm not broke. But, even if that were the case, I'd rather be broke and have integrity rather than to be wealthy with no integriy.
I don’t know how this transcended into finances, morals and whatever but nonetheless I’m happy to hear you are not broke and look forward to bidding against you on some great cards at upcoming auctions. But continuing to bring up Jeff’s personal issues, which are really between him and his family and none of us know really know what transpired anyway, only makes you look petty and I’m not sure this is the appropriate forum for that. Maybe if you feel this strongly it would be better for you to reach out to your clergyman and discuss the problems you have with him?
Old 07-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Do you not see the "?"

I don't profess to be an expert on legal ethics. That's why I asked YOU the question. I'll ask it again. If I have a lawyer representing me, but instead he's sexting his girlfriend in court during the trial, would I have grounds for a retrial?
Who said he texted anyone during a trial?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Nobody should be publishing someone's private text messages about personal matters.
Not even high character individuals with superior morals???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Do you not see the "?"

I’m sure he sexting girls while in court cross-examining witnesses. And let’s add in that he’s also having sex with them during lunch breaks. And I’ve also seen him text while driving a couple times too so let’s throw that in there too.

Unfortunately this conversation has deteriorated and I’m left with thinking you are nothing but a petty, jealous, moron. Oh but I forgot, a petty, jealous moron with lots of integrity.

Last edited by CuriousGeorge; 07-24-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Lawyer bashing on he board is de riguer. Pretty soon someone will be ignorantly misquoting Shakespeare. Count on it.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Unfortunately this conversation has deteriorated and I’m left with thinking you are nothing but a petty, jealous, moron.
Look in the mirror, douchebag.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:29 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
Because everyone is putting their names on their comments.
There's a fine line though. Jeff has a wife and a family. Regardless of who agrees and disagrees and however we all feel there's no need to go there period when talking about another member.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
There's a fine line though. Jeff has a wife and a family. Regardless of who agrees and disagrees and however we all feel there's no need to go there period when talking about another member.
I agree 100%. The only thing that I've said against Jeff was his interview on CBS when he said that El Chapo had been nice to him. As that it some excuse for all the crimes that El Chapo committed.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:35 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The retrial is the part that I find genius. I am no lawyer so I could be seeing this wrong. Now if Brent doesn't get the result he wants cant he use Jeffreys posts on here to claim his lawyer didn't represent him to the best of his ability?

Also IF Jeffrey is doing this for the good of the hobby and not the cash. Couldn't he have donated his services to the FBI to put Brent away?

To me his recent posts said, hire me or I will bury you with all the evidence I have against you.

I could be wrong but this is my take on the situation.
This is exactly what I referred to back on the first page of the threads....Can these former posts and threads come back to haunt him? Having said that, I absolutely have issue with Jeff's decision to represent Huigens, it paints a very ugly picture on what has been a very long, angered, and disapproved situation of PWCC and Brent Huigens, a lot of which were initiated by Lichtman... I stated previously that it was hypocritical and lacked integrity.. I do believe, however, that Jeff's personal and business life (outside of the baseball card world) should not be presented in this type of forum.....
Old 07-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Look in the mirror, douchebag.
I’m looking brother and all I see is a guy who is trying to help you. You should all look up the definition of the phrase “self fulfilling prophecy” because most of you won’t be happy until it gets to that.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
This is exactly what I referred to back on the first page of the threads....Can these former posts and threads come back to haunt him? Having said that, I absolutely have issue with Jeff's decision to represent Huigens, it paints a very ugly picture on what has been a very long, angered, and disapproved situation of PWCC and Brent Huigens, a lot of which were initiated by Lichtman... I stated previously that it was hypocritical and lacked integrity.. I do believe, however, that Jeff's personal and business life (outside of the baseball card world) should not be presented in this type of forum.....
I get the disappointment Kevin and I assure you I was as well. However as this all plays out I am beginning to see it differently so let’s see what transpires in the near future and then perhaps we will all understand things a little differently than we do today. Doesn’t make one side right or wrong but a baseball game doesn’t end until 27 outs are made. And don’t start with rainouts!
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM

I have no pull, but I would love to see this thread locked/pulled down. It has deteriorated into all out name calling and bashing people for things that have nothing to do with cards or scandals in the card industry.

Jeff is representing PWCC. It will be what it be. Going to get my popcorn....

Steven, sell me your W600 Wagner!!!
Old 07-24-2019, 04:42 PM
je.sse @rnot

He says he took the case in part so he can be on the inside and work to make sure as many collectors as possible can be made whole. Whether or not any of us believe him is irrelevant. His actions will prove his words true or untrue in the coming months. What is the harm in giving him a chance to do what he said he will do?

The personal attacks against another member should have no place on this board. Especially regarding his personal life. There are countless examples in many threads not just related to Jeff or even PWCC. This site has been going down hill for a while in terms of negative and inappropriate comments. Many members have even left, or avoid commenting for the most part, which is unfortunate. And I think we may have hit a new low with this thread.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Lawyer bashing on he board is de riguer. Pretty soon someone will be ignorantly misquoting Shakespeare. Count on it.
"Unsext me here"?

Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

I appreciate you guys wanting to stop the name calling and the rest but I assure you I’m a big boy as is my brother and we can handle it. At the end of the day I think we all want the same thing and unfortunately frustration sometimes gets in the way and things deteriorate as they have here. Hopefully we all can put our hopes and trust in Jeff, since we really don’t have much of a choice anyway, and see where that takes us. I know which way I’m betting but if I were him and had to put up with this abuse, it would give me a lot less incentive to help. My two cents for whatever that’s worth.

And Ryan I will see you next at the Famous and Barr Ruth! You cost me plenty on that Wagner!
Old 07-24-2019, 04:53 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Personal stuff is beyond the pale. Would anyone on the board appreciate personal stuff? I don’t think so. You may not like his client but no need to engage in ad hominem attacks.

I agree, these personal attacks are way out of line, and have nothing to do with cards.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
I agree 100%. The only thing that I've said against Jeff was his interview on CBS when he said that El Chapo had been nice to him. As that it some excuse for all the crimes that El Chapo committed.
Also agreed. In all seriousness if Jeff was all "yeah El Chapo is mean and a real jerk!" who knows if he'd be alive to represent Brent. I mean going from El Chapo to El Brento. Who would have thought.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Lead on macduff!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Lead on macduff!
Bubble bubble toil and trouble.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I have no pull, but I would love to see this thread locked/pulled down. It has deteriorated into all out name calling and bashing people for things that have nothing to do with cards or scandals in the card industry.

Jeff is representing PWCC. It will be what it be. Going to get my popcorn....

Steven, sell me your W600 Wagner!!!
I don't have any pull either. I think there might be something else behind this thread.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
I don't have any pull either. I think there might be something else behind this thread.
As in why is Leon letting it continue? I don’t know. I know he and Jeff haven’t always seen eye to eye but don’t think that’s influencing this thread remaining open.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Hopefully we all can put our hopes and trust in Jeff, since we really don’t have much of a choice anyway, and see where that takes us.
Nope. That actually made me laugh out loud. Now you're pressing it.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:16 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltman View Post
As in why is Leon letting it continue? I don’t know. I know he and Jeff haven’t always seen eye to eye but don’t think that’s influencing this thread remaining open.
That is total BS...Leon lets forum threads run for the most part... Hell, I've seen threads up for a month! BST threads are more sensitive.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
And that is at least enough to have your full name out here, I would think? I know you but most others probably don't.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
That is total BS...Leon lets forum threads run for the most part... Hell, I've seen threads up for a month! BST threads are more sensitive.
I’m not arguing that. I was asking where the previous comment was hinting at.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
LIke what? It is what it is....Jeff is representing a crook that he has lambasted on this forum since Moby Dick was a minnow!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The forum has been going downhill for the last 18 yrs. Hopefully there will be 18 more.

One other small thing, my goal is always to try my best to not interfere with threads. That is why they stay up and don't get locked, generally speaking, and almost never go poof. And if there is negativity then that is what it is. I don't tell people what to say or not to say. If someone has their name next to it I think they should be able to fire away, per the less than strict rules pertaining to our subject matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
He says he took the case in part so he can be on the inside and work to make sure as many collectors as possible can be made whole. Whether or not any of us believe him is irrelevant. His actions will prove his words true or untrue in the coming months. What is the harm in giving him a chance to do what he said he will do?

The personal attacks against another member should have no place on this board. Especially regarding his personal life. There are countless examples in many threads not just related to Jeff or even PWCC. This site has been going down hill for a while in terms of negative and inappropriate comments. Many members have even left, or avoid commenting for the most part, which is unfortunate. And I think we may have hit a new low with this thread.

Last edited by Leon; 07-24-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:27 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
No, unrelated to Leon. I'm thinking in trial terms and legal specifics down the road. Brother saying what he has on here something doesn't seem right. Hopefully I'm just neurotic and wrong!
Old 07-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
No, unrelated to Leon. I'm thinking in trial terms and legal specifics down the road. Brother saying what he has on here something doesn't seem right. Hopefully I'm just neurotic and wrong!
Jeff maybe telling his brother to zip it once he sees this.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

What does any of this have to do with a trial? It's a message board, not evidence.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:33 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Jeff maybe telling his brother to zip it once he sees this.
Brother ain’t telling me what to do anywhere.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Brother ain’t telling me what to do anywhere.
LOL. This must be an interesting family dynamic.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Until they get Brent and Moser bankrupt, in jail for life and free parking vouchers for the next trade show they won’t be happy.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
What does any of this have to do with a trial? It's a message board, not evidence.
What is said here can absolutely be used as evidence in a trial, no?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I don't think there are NDAs but as I posted there is IMO no chance that whatever amount Brent and a few other card doctors pay back will even scratch the surface of the amount of their ill gotten gains, or the harm inflicted on the hobby.

Is it better than no restitution? Yes, of course. Is it an adequate punishment for the crime? That to me is the real question. We'll see what happens.
I just want the cheater effer to come out and say HE targeted the cards that were to be trimmed and altered, HE ran a shill bidding operation, he cheated e-bay, HE didn't pay his taxes on ill gotten gains. HE put stupid stickers on cards he knew were his and trimmed. HE was Eddie Embelisher in his descriptions. HE was the Maestro. How fitting his name is Brent Mastro, pun intended.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It would depend what it was and for what purpose it was being offered. What on this thread could possibly be admissible in a trial against PWCC or Brent?

Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:
Yes this will all be Exhibit A in United States vs Brent Mastro. Leon, seriously you’re kidding right?
Old 07-24-2019, 05:47 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I just want the cheater effer to come out and say HE targeted the cards that were to be trimmed and altered, HE ran a shill bidding operation, he cheated e-bay, HE didn't pay his taxes on ill gotten gains. HE put stupid stickers on cards he knew were his and trimmed. HE was Eddie Embelisher in his descriptions. HE was the Maestro. How fitting his name is Brent Mastro, pun intended.
Knowing Brent and Betsy Huigens, sincere good luck with that....
Old 07-24-2019, 05:48 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
LOL. This must be an interesting family dynamic.
I'm guessing their family Thanksgiving is going to be pretty pretty pretttyyy interesting this year.