NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2022, 02:48 PM
Eric Perry

Default OT - Tax Return Question

I opened an eBay store in 2021. In order to properly file a tax return, I'll be entering beginning and ending inventory totals.

My question seems simple; however, I've learned this is seldom the case with anything tax-related. For the sake of keeping this post brief, let's say I decided to turn my sports card collection into my inventory.

Should I only list as inventory the items I currently have listed for sale?

I've created literally thousands of eBay listings this year. I plan to list thousands more. All the items (there are actually vinyl records, comic books, etc.) are inventory, in the truest sense of the word. However, I haven't been able to list them all yet. There is only so much time each day.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 03-29-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:56 PM

The issue really isn’t inventory. You need to match up gross sales with the cost of those items to get net sales. Then you can take other allowed business expenses
Old 03-29-2022, 03:07 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
The issue really isn’t inventory. You need to match up gross sales with the cost of those items to get net sales. Then you can take other allowed business expenses
I have the costs. I'm just trying to figure out whether to include (in my ending inventory total) items that are not yet listed for sale.

For instance, I listed a few items today. I've had them for a decade (or more) but didn't have them listed for sale as of 12/31. Should they be included in my ending inventory total for my tax return next month?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-29-2022, 03:22 PM

1st You should talk to a tax professional
2nd I don’t believe that inventory should be used in the manner you are. In many business inventory is what’s called fungible which means that basically every item of inventory is the same as the others. For example if you sell paper each box of paper is the same. In these business you often calculate gross income by examining beginning and ending inventory. Sports cards are different however because each card or set is unique in you inventory. Once you sell a card you don’t have another just like it that is still in your inventory. For most sports card seller therefore there income has little to do with inventory. The relevant measure is what items did you sell and what is your cost of an item. For example you sold a 1935 Goudey for 10 dollars. If you paid 5 dollars for that specific card your net sale is 5.00 on that item

Last edited by Jason19th; 03-29-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:57 PM
R0b Sm!th

Interesting question.

Calling BobC!
Old 03-29-2022, 04:24 PM

When it comes to tax questions, sometimes you just gotta ask, "Where the hell are you BobC ?"
Old 03-29-2022, 04:54 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
When it comes to tax questions, sometimes you just gotta ask, "Where the hell are you BobC ?"
Alan is correct. However, consult the tax professional that you use and that is not Turbotax.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-29-2022, 05:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Over under on the length of the response when Bob posts?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:58 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Characters, words, sentences, or paragraphs?

(in all seriousness, I am looking forward to a detailed response.)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 03-29-2022, 06:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I opened an eBay store in 2021. In order to properly file a tax return, I'll be entering beginning and ending inventory totals.

My question seems simple; however, I've learned this is seldom the case with anything tax-related. For the sake of keeping this post brief, let's say I decided to turn my sports card collection into my inventory.

Should I only list as inventory the items I currently have listed for sale?

I've created literally thousands of eBay listings this year. I plan to list thousands more. All the items (there are actually vinyl records, comic books, etc.) are inventory, in the truest sense of the word. However, I haven't been able to list them all yet. There is only so much time each day.
Eric,

First off, what kind of tax return are you planning to file for the business, Schedule C that goes along as part of your individual Form 1040 tax return? Assuming so, and based on your statement that you just started your business in 2021, that likely means you were not yet in business as of 1/1/2021, in which case your opening inventory on Page 2, Line 35, of your Schedule C form should be $0. Line 36 is the one that asks for the amount of Purchases you made during 2021. In your case this wouldn't necessarily be purchases you made this past year, this should be the total tax cost basis of all the items you've acquired over the years that you've now decided to contribute to your new business as sales inventory.

Your specific question then is if you should include as Purchases the tax cost of everything you've ever bought and collected, or just the tax cost of items sold or listed for sale sometime during 2021. You can honestly do it either way, but for your own specific purposes you should ask yourself a few questions first:

1. Are you really going to sell off absolutely everything you've ever collected?

2. Is there absolutely no chance you'll ever change your mind and end up keeping some things as collectibles long term?

3. There is absolutely no chance you'll be acquiring/buying any new collectibles while selling everything off, nor possibly decide to start collecting again?

4. You already have the tax cost basis for everything you've ever collected/acquired all listed and spelled out?

If you can truly answer yes to all these questions, I guess go ahead and just consider everything you have as business inventory and put the total tax cost basis of everything down as Purchases on Line 36. But if you answer no to any of these questions, I would only put the tax cost basis of items you had sold and listed for sale in 2021 down on Line 36. You can then record items you initially list for sale as Purchases on future Schedule C forms then.

Personally, even if I answered yes to all the questions, I'd still only report the items I'd sold or listed for sale as purchases in 2021. That way it provides some flexibility in case I changed my mind about collecting again, or other circumstances changed, like my passing away. If I pass and everything is in inventory, I end up leaving an ordinary income asset to my family/heirs. Whereas, anything not yet transferred to the business would likely get long term capital gain treatment for the family/heirs. And the Basis Step-Up inheritance rule is one that has already been talked about as possibly being removed at some point, which could potentially result in having a collection treated as totally business inventory subject to ordinary income, not as favorable tax-wise. It may never happen, but why take the chance if you have a choice, and there really isn't any downside. That's why they call it tax/estate planning.

Regardless of which way you ultimately decide to go, the ending inventory amount you're going to report on Line 41 of Schedule C is basically a plug figure to get Line 42 to equal the Cost of Goods Sold you can then deduct against sales for the tax year. And if you do decide to not list everything as inventory right now, you are correct in that your ending inventory on Line 41 is basically your tax cost inventory basis for all the items you listed for sale during 2021, that did not sell in 2021.

Also, for Line 33 I'd check Box A if it were me.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck.

Last edited by BobC; 03-29-2022 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:20 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Alan is correct. However, consult the tax professional that you use and that is not Turbotax.
Don't forget Turbotax actually hires tax professionals to offer online assistance to people that want it. I know someone who was doing that a couple years ago. Good, knowledgeable guy was the Controller for Greats Lakes Brewing at one time. Just trying to follow the Turbotax instructions yourself, now that's a different story. LOL
Old 03-29-2022, 06:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Am I going to have to start with the attorney jokes!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Am I going to have to start with the attorney jokes!
I believe Peter charges Leon for his posts.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:23 PM
Chase

Quote:
Over under on how many people try to give tax advice who are not CPA's?
Old 03-29-2022, 07:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Over under on how many people try to give tax advice who are not CPA's?
Lower I will wager than the number of nonlawyers who will pontificate about the law.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:00 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Lower I will wager than the number of nonlawyers who will pontificate about the law.
Peter,

That depends on the field of law. Every day I tell lawyers what to do or the deal will not work. Not a lawyer, though I have been married to two. I got the second one, my current wife, through property law. She wanted me to attend her class and tell the professor he did not know what he was talking about. I told her I did not want her to fail the class. Parrot what he said, then ingore it. I've never done any research on Blackacre.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-29-2022, 08:04 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Don't forget Turbotax actually hires tax professionals to offer online assistance to people that want it. I know someone who was doing that a couple years ago. Good, knowledgeable guy was the Controller for Greats Lakes Brewing at one time. Just trying to follow the Turbotax instructions yourself, now that's a different story. LOL
Yes, I fully understand that they hire very qualified professionals. I respect that approach. I saw his question, and the ones that many on this site ask, and felt that he needed to sit in front of a qualified accountant/CPA who would answer his questions and walk him through the scenarios. Just went over the taxes with my accountant last night - ouch!!

Old 03-29-2022, 08:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter,

That depends on the field of law. Every day I tell lawyers what to do or the deal will not work. Not a lawyer, though I have been married to two. I got the second one, my current wife, through property law. She wanted me to attend her class and tell the professor he did not know what he was talking about. I told her I did not want her to fail the class. Parrot what he said, then ingore it. I've never done any research on Blackacre.
I hated property law more than any other subject in law school. They lost me at springing remainders. Mercy.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:38 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Yes, I fully understand that they hire very qualified professionals. I respect that approach. I saw his question, and the ones that many on this site ask, and felt that he needed to sit in front of a qualified accountant/CPA who would answer his questions and walk him through the scenarios. Just went over the taxes with my accountant last night - ouch!!
Fun stuff, isn't it? LOL

And it is just going to keep getting worse over the next several years. Ugh!
Old 03-29-2022, 11:49 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Fun stuff, isn't it? LOL

And it is just going to keep getting worse over the next several years. Ugh!
My wife does not work. Her capital gains were 50% more than my salary last year and my salary, with incentives and bonuses, was 85% higher than my base salary. Fortunately, she is paying the tax bill.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:27 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
My wife does not work. Her capital gains were 50% more than my salary last year and my salary, with incentives and bonuses, was 85% higher than my base salary. Fortunately, she is paying the tax bill.
Here's hoping those gains don't turn into big losses in 2022. LOL
Old 05-04-2022, 06:35 AM
Brand0n H0rd

This thread is making me dread selling...I was so excited to sell my old collection but now I'm quite nervous about all of this.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:28 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordfest View Post
This thread is making me dread selling...I was so excited to sell my old collection but now I'm quite nervous about all of this.
Do yourself a big favor, if possible. Don't just sell everything one year, and then wait till tax prep time the following year to finally bring it up to some qualified tax professional you are then looking to for tax prep assistance. The more valuable the collection, the better off you are to discuss it with someone as early as possible, maybe even before putting anything up for sale. Good luck.