NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Mike H

Hi All,

I'm on my way home from the National today. It was a great show for figurals, pennants, and display antiques. We had a terrific time, enjoyed many fascinating conversations, and I am very excited about my purchases. Carlton shot a TON of photos and I'll post my own this weekend. There were bargains to be had and overall there were much better offerings than last year. More soon.

Mike

Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Brock G.

Glad to hear it went well Mike. Looking forward to seeing your pick-ups.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Joe K.

Mike you are a complete tease! Don't leave us hanging like that. I can't wait to see your pics and purchases. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Mark

Mike:

Considering those are the 3 things I like most, I am now more depressed than ever. Glad to hear that you did well, though!

I guess I'll be content knowing I probably saved thousands of dollars by staying home. Looking forward to seeing some great upcoming posts, and Carlton's inevitable mouth-watering photos.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Here are random pics from the show. I'll post pics of what I purchased soon.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/

Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Mike, great pics and thanks for sharing.

It's a good thing Lincoln, NE was nowhere near being champs of the Western League in 1915 or I'd be kicking myself for not being at the National right now.

What did you pick up? How were the prices?

Old 08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Joe K.

Great photos Mike. Thanks for posting them. Now cut the crap and tell us what you snagged!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Just amazing, Mike... thanks so much for posting these. The 3rd, 4th and 9th photos alone are making me borderline suicidal for staying at home.

Thanks again for these incredible photos!

ps. I started to ask some questions here, but it got too long. I didn't want to bore everyone to death... so I'm going to email you privately.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Brock G.

Thanks for the photos Mike. Looks like there was some killer stuff from a trophy/figural perspective. That Sox pennant is too cool for words as well. I honestly get like a sick feeling in my stomach looking at the pictures. I got to go someday. Thanks again Mike.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Mike,

Awesome photos. Fill us in what you picked up.

Who had that Sox pennant for sale? That's the same pennant that was in the recent Higgins auction I believe. While it sold for less than I thought it would, all my $$ went to that beer can I posted earlier. I'm suprised that it didn't go to a collector directly. Stupid money tree in the back yard didn't bloom this year

Glad to hear you had a good time. Wish I could go one of these years. Maybe someday it'll go to Boston.

Greg

Old 08-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Same for the Dooin Phillies Pennant. It just appeared in Huggins & Scott, along with the Red Sox. And look how poorly they're protecting it. They crammed a $3,000 Oversized Pennant into a standard-sized plastic holder (with 1/4 of it hanging out!)

Mike... do you remember which seller had these?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default The National

I'll type much more later, but here are my pick-ups

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Great stuff Mike...looks like you made a major haul!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Dave Bushing had the Dooin, I don't remember who had the Red Sox pennant, but they were asking $7,500 which is completely insane.

The sellers were dealing for the most part. Several confirmed that the auction houses did very little buying during set up this year.

Two of the best booths (the guy with the five Spaldings, and the guy with three shelves of trophies) were collectors selling part of it off.

Rhys (sp) was set up and selling also.

I only had $1,000 for the show and I didn't want to spend it all in the first ten minutes on one item, so I pulsed it out and dug for bargains. If I had $4,000 with me, your jaws would drop at the possibilities. There were some amazing pieces just beyond my reach.

There was a figural Cub's ashtray (see photo #10) that I wanted badly, but the seller was asking $2,000 which is laughable. His booth was the one consistently unrealisticly priced booth I entered.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Default The National

That price is just ridiculous on that Sox pennant. I don't have it in front of me, but that's about twice the price it went for in the auction.

Nice pickups Mike, Looks like a nice (and fairly heavy) haul you got there.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Clint

Mike, thanks for the pictures and awesome pick ups. How much were the Spalding trophies?

Clint

Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Thanks fellas.

Greg, I'm with you on that pennant. Amazing piece (perhaps best of show) but I didn't get the impression he was in any hurry to sell it.

Dan, there was a set of five Spaldings in one case for $20,000. Then there were two others of the fielder that were $3,000 each.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Michael Steele

I was an underbidder in H&S on the 1915 Sox pennant and was astounded at the asking price at the National. I actually wish it had gone to a collector in the auction. It deserves to be in a collection. With that asking price it will be awhile. I saw the pennant in Chicago but did not get a chance to talk to the seller.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Mike,

I see your login name and am thinking you might be a Sox collector?

Greg

Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: MVSNYC

as far as memorabilia pick-ups at the Nat'l, i got 2 amazing Game-Used Bats...

-the first one is a George H. Burns model LS (1916-22 label), which is sidewritten with Jumpin' Joe Dugan's name (played on the 1927 Yankees)...it has incredible patina, and John Taube wrote a great LOA for it.

-the second one is Buck Herzog (in the T206 set) LS (1916-22 label)...John also wrote a great LOA for this one.

i'll try to post pics tomorrow.

MS

Old 08-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Aaron M.

Actually, I was the underbidder on the 1915 Red Sox pennant -- I bid $2,750 and was topped by the final price of $3,000. Gorgeous pennant and I could see it going for as much as $4,000, but the seller is just nuts at $7,500 (actually he's not so much nuts as he's just fishing for that one sucker to buy it) which is why I've taken to skipping the National. Usually any choice material that does not end up very early in the hands of the auction houses is ridiculously overpriced (which explains why the auction houses didn't buy it and why the dealer still has it).

Mike, thanks so much for the photos!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Glad you like the pics Aaron. Say, why is the Aaron room closed?

It's also possible that some of these dealers purchase a premier piece to draw people into the booth, then price that particular item extremely high with no intention of selling it at this particular show. Perhaps later, they lower the price or put it in another auction.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Mike Brockman

Reach child's glove........

Bucky Walter's Boxed JC Higgins Glove.....

Frank "Pinky" Higgins Boxed Nokona Glove.....

Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default The National

MVSNYC, I think it's Mike right? Nice bats, look forward to the picks. It's addictive isn't it?

Mike B., Nice gloves. Looks like very high quality stuff. Thanks for posting them.

Clint

Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Hi Clint- yep, it's "Mike"...

and yes, the game used bats, which are new to me, are very addictive...one of my best friends is over tonight, we're watching the cardinals/phillies game...anyway i was showing him my bat collection, including my 2 new pieces, he was blown away as he held each one (not that i have ruths or mantles, but just the fact that they were weilded by big leagues players...and the various levels of patina)...

i'll post scans asap.

MS

Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Michael Steele

Greg,

Yes! Vintage Red Sox collector. Sounds like your interest also? Shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss.

Aaron,

Sort of wish you had won that pennant. I dropped out somewhere in the high teens but if I had the funds (REA cleaned me out earlier) I probably would have gone one level higher then the 3k hammer. With the juice the total bill would have been $3,450 so the $7,500 asking is like wow... but a great pennant. Quite possibly if the winner does not catch a fish (dumb whale) at 7k+ we may see the pennant again soon at auction.

Regards
Michael

Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Todd

MVSNYC, did you pick up those two bats from the two women that were set up in the back?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default The National

yes i did...they were very nice ladies. i then took the bats to john taube's booth and he wrote great LOA's for them...

Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: brock

May i ask how much you payed for the pair. Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default The National

umm, i guess so...around $1100 for both. i think i got a great deal.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default The National

IMO you did well on your bats. That time frame is extremely difficult to find and the bats are beautiful.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Ditto with what Mike H. just said. I like the Herzog, looks to be hickory and quite heavy.

Mike are you just going after Giants or New York teams? Send me your email and I'll show you some interesting bats.

Clint

Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Posted By: Aaron

Mike, "The Aaron Room" still exists in cyberspace, but is closed to the public for now. I haven't updated it since January and my collecting has rally scaled back this year. I won the Pirates mirror in the H&S auction and that is the only significant sports memoribilia related purchase I've made this year. When I'm ready to update it with new pictures, I'll re-open it to the public.

I wish I'd won that Red Sox pennant (it certainly woke me up from my collecting doldrums) and I'd probably even go up to $3,500 if I had to do it over again. In any case though, I think you're right -- if it's in a dealer's hands right now at that high of a price, chnaces are it will be offered again at auction soon.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Default The National

Thanks for the update Aaron. We all love reading your commentary regarding auctions, the hobby, and shows. Please let us know when you re-open.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default The National

clint- i am not necessarily just collecting giants, etc...just buying cool bats i come across...

i'll email you tmw.

MS