NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2019, 06:15 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Haven't logged in for quite some time but have still tried to keep up with the board (too lazy to deal with recovering my password). The guilt trips of "where are the other members?" worked so I'm back. That and I'm really bothered by all of the recent nonsense. Strength in numbers!
Old 05-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Fun facts...you guys realize there are over 10,000 members on Net54 and hey guess what? I see the same handful of guys talking about the same thing on multiple threads. It’s very possible the other 9,990 members have differing opinions. So where is this going to lead us...I’ll give 9,990 : 1 odds that someone starts another thread related to the same topic.

Take a vacation and enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!
What exactly is the "differing opinion" from the "handful of guys talking about the same thing?" Fraud is a good thing?

Edd*e Sm*th
Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goudey77 View Post
Fun facts...you guys realize there are over 10,000 members on Net54 and hey guess what? I see the same handful of guys talking about the same thing on multiple threads. It’s very possible the other 9,990 members have differing opinions. So where is this going to lead us...I’ll give 9,990 : 1 odds that someone starts another thread related to the same topic.

Take a vacation and enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend!
Would love to hear from them....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 05-27-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:08 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
What exactly is the "differing opinion" from the "handful of guys talking about the same thing?" Fraud is a good thing?

Edd*e Sm*th
Yes! What you have in quotes is exactly why I decided to come back here. I agree with the majority of guys here. Except I'm a chick. So make that a handful of guys and one chick. Though I do believe it is important to have an open platform to share differing opinions.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Nice to have you aboard Kat....I'm wondering if PWCC is getting lessons from R.P. aka "Mr. Shill"
Old 05-27-2019, 07:18 PM
Robert Kasenter

Default card doctors

I would dispute that the card doctors are widely known. They may be known in some advanced circles, but some of the individuals named have thousands of positive feedbacks on ebay meaning that there are lots of collectors that don’t know. I can say I did not know everyone on the list. I even made 3 purchases from one on the list (not Moser) (the 3 totaled $216 all bgs and may be fine, but who knows).

However, I am not sure knowing names helps that much. Twenty years ago you could just name the 10-12 dealers you would not do business with. Today with the internet and auction houses you are dealing with literally thousands of individuals. Outside the obvious, buyer beware, deal too good to be true, etc., there are only two defenses. The intermediaries (ebay, HA, REA, PWCC, etc.) and the TPGs. Only time will tell if any of the intermediaries are directly involved or just terribly indifferent. What is clear is the intermediaries and TPGs are not very good at their jobs right now. Eventually, if you are not good at your job, people find someone better at it.

Rob Kasenter
Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Nice to have you aboard Kat....I'm wondering if PWCC is getting lessons from R.P. aka "Mr. Shill"
I've been aboard! Honestly I stopped signing in a few years ago because I felt a bit ganged up on. I love pre-war cards just as much as everyone else here but only got into it in the last ten years or so and I'm in my mid 30's. I think that RP was a set up!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkas68 View Post
I would dispute that the card doctors are widely known. They may be known in some advanced circles, but some of the individuals named have thousands of positive feedbacks on ebay meaning that there are lots of collectors that don’t know. I can say I did not know everyone on the list. I even made 3 purchases from one on the list (not Moser) (the 3 totaled $216 all bgs and may be fine, but who knows).

However, I am not sure knowing names helps that much. Twenty years ago you could just name the 10-12 dealers you would not do business with. Today with the internet and auction houses you are dealing with literally thousands of individuals. Outside the obvious, buyer beware, deal too good to be true, etc., there are only two defenses. The intermediaries (ebay, HA, REA, PWCC, etc.) and the TPGs. Only time will tell if any of the intermediaries are directly involved or just terribly indifferent. What is clear is the intermediaries and TPGs are not very good at their jobs right now. Eventually, if you are not good at your job, people find someone better at it.

Rob Kasenter
Fair enough, but the auction houses and ebay sellers who have taken their cards for years know damn well who they are, I believe. $$$$$ trumps all. There are plenty of enablers.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-27-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:47 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

I wonder if these trim doctors have any connection with the T206 auto frauds. And what ever happened to that?
Old 05-27-2019, 09:49 PM
Bobby Binder

Yes there are some bad people out there and they are known. But they have ways of getting around the system of course. I am sure they have lots of other people submitting for them. If they really want to stay in business there really is no stopping them.

The only way to stop them is the the TPG's have to do a better job and be stricter on their measurement standards. How hard is it to make up a metal jigs and if the card fits in it then it is too small and should not get a numerical grade. Seems to me that most of cards that just got by the TPG were mostly trimmed and cleaned up. I am willing to bet they did not even bother to measure them. Guess they never thought it possible that someone would need to trim down a modern card.

To many cards in the queue and not enough graders so they are being pushed to move the cards through the system as fast as they can. Sounds like steps are being missed and scandals are happening.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:41 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Did VCP remove eBay buyer data recently? I know that information was helping the Blowout Detective Agency (BODA) connect some of these dots. If it's a temporary glitch, it would be nice to see it return.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Did VCP remove eBay buyer data recently? I know that information was helping the Blowout Detective Agency (BODA) connect some of these dots. If it's a temporary glitch, it would be nice to see it return.
It’s still gone. Why??
Old 05-28-2019, 04:56 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

FINALLY I know what BODA means

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
It’s still gone. Why??
Strange coincidence especially since Bobby just posted?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Has there been any comment from any of the owners of these doctored cards who have contacted PSA, and what PSA's response has been?

You would think the people in charge over at PSA would want to get on top of this as soon as possible. Even a statement claiming that these cards represent only a small percentage of the total number of graded cards, blah, blah, blah. The silence from PSA is becoming deafening isn't it ?

And now with the elementary schools getting out for the summer, a whole new batch of graders is likely being hired. PSA, at the very least, is going to have to modify their training for this year's kids.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Ben North

Is anyone making a list of all the scammers being exposed?

I might be movin' to Oregon soon
Just to conserve some cards
Trimming them up
Waxen it down
Sending in a little white box
I can sell through Pwcc
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
For somebody else...
but then, on the other hand
I'd Keep the wax N' melt it down
Pour it on the cards N' swish it aroun'

Movin' to Oregon soon
Gonna be a card conservation tycoon
(yes I am)
Movin' to Oregon soon
Just me and my pygmy pony.

Last edited by bnorth; 05-28-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
No, but I plan to make a directory of the related threads as a public service.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I might be movin' to Oregon soon
Just to conserve some cards
Trimming them up
Waxen it down
Sending in a little white box
I can sell through Pwcc
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,

Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
For somebody else...
but then, on the other hand
I'd Keep the wax N' melt it down
Pour it on the cards N' swish it aroun'

Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a card conservation tycoon
(yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Just me and my pygmy pony.
Frank would have loved it. And unlike David's 4 to 1, I figure the odds [of an indictment] be 50-50.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Frank would have loved it. And unlike David's 4 to 1, I figure the odds [of an indictment] be 50-50.
I am more at 50-1 myself. This has been going on way too long and almost everyone is in on it. The Masto thing scared a few out of the business but the big scammers just got bigger. They(scammers) also learned from that, that almost no one cares.

I honestly think there is 1 guy that could take them all down if he was ever busted. He seems to be connected to all the big scammers but you would have to get by his lawyer first.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

Quote:
It’s still gone. Why??
You're obviously reading this thread, Bobby. What's the deal?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post
You're obviously reading this thread, Bobby. What's the deal?
He's from Hawaii where it's still the middle of the night, let's give him a chance.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallen2556 View Post
and now with the elementary schools getting out for the summer, a whole new batch of graders is likely being hired. Psa, at the very least, is going to have to modify their training for this year's kids.
lol!

Edited to add: In all seriousness though, why don't submitters know the qualifications of a grader? They just blindly submit without knowing anything. If you were going to hire a contractor to do some work at your house, wouldn't you want to know their qualifications? Experience? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 AM
pete ullman

Bobby...if you need some help...I know some people!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.34.49 AM.jpg (18.7 KB, 515 views)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
4:1 odds.
Quote:
I figure the odds [of an indictment] be 50-50.
Quote:
I am more at 50-1 myself.
Odds all over the place. What does Vegas say?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Why not just just have separate price guides for conserved, restored and trimmed cards in addition to the few cards that are original and not altered. Perhaps the last category (original and not altered) would see a price bump as a consequence.

Old school collectors would be happy, Martin would be happy, Brent would be happy. Kumbaya indeed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Someone's trimming Lord,
Kumbaya
Altered, not restored,
Kumbaya
For a big reward,
Kumbaya
Oh, Lord
Kumbaya

Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A 1952 Berk Ross Mantle was posted on BO early this morning, The amount of cardboard left on the cutting room floor (from the bottom border) is astonishing. Yet it got by PSA again, garnering a grade of 7. How PSA found this card to measure up is astounding. Any novice with a ruler would catch it.

I cannot copy/paste on this device, but perhaps someone here can. They could not confirm this one came from Moser, but it's likely that it did. Just another shameful PWCC offering and PSA "mistake".
Old 05-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1973

Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

That is definitely not good for the hobby.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:21 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
That is definitely not good for the hobby.
With this world overpopulation, it's good to make cards smaller. Will delay the need to migrate to Mars by at least ten years.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Luke Lyon

That one doesn't make any sense. The left corners were the best. How did that card get a 6, (and then a 7) with the bottom right corner? Man this is depressing.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
That one doesn't make any sense. The left corners were the best. How did that card get a 6, (and then a 7) with the bottom right corner? Man this is depressing.
Agreed. This isn't just one card. This is a mult-million dollar scam. It is depressing.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I clicked on the Mantle link and I read this:

Quote:
Although Vintagecardprices.com, as of last night, suspiciously erased all their data on the winners of eBay auctions, I feel safe in asserting that whitman111 was the winning bidder here.
Is this true? Is this website trying to protect these trimmers? If so, I think it's a little too late for that. I hope people took screenshots over the past couple of weeks.

I also agree with Patrick (post #52). We should definitely not ignore the hockey cards. Some of these key vintage rookies sell for crazy amounts of money in higher grade and are definitely targeted by these trimmers. The 1958 Topps Bobby Hull is a good card to start with. The other cards that need to be researched include the following:

- 1951 Parkhurst Gordie Howe
- 1966 Topps Bobby Orr
- 1957 Parkhurst Henri Richard
- 1951 Parkhurst Maurice Richard
- 1955 Parkhurst Jacques Plante
- 1953 Parkhurst Jean Beliveau

Where on earth are all these high-grade examples coming from? And are they legit?

Last edited by samosa4u; 05-28-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Bobby Binder

Good morning....

That is correct as someone stated I do live in Hawaii, Kauai to be specific..

To answer your questions about the buyers information, yesterday afternoon. Ebay shut off our API feed. In order for us to get it restored again we needed to remove the buyers information listed on our site.

We rely on that feed for everything we do and can't function without it. We are in good standing with them. We do not scrap data and can not operate without that feed.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

n/m

Last edited by tribefan; 05-28-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
To answer your questions about the buyers information, yesterday afternoon. Ebay shut off our API feed. In order for us to get it restored again we needed to remove the buyers information listed on our site.

We rely on that feed for everything we do and can't function without it. We are in good standing with them. We do not scrap data and can not operate without that feed.
They asked you to remove the buyers' info?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Good morning....

That is correct as someone stated I do live in Hawaii, Kauai to be specific..

Hope this answers your questions.
Bobby did they give a reason?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-28-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
They asked you to remove the buyers' info?
On behalf of a large seller's request, perhaps?

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but almost too much in the timing to be a coincidence.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hmmmm.... PWCC couldn't possibly behind this, right?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Hmmmm.... PWCC couldn't possibly behind this, right?
They most definitely can be. I'm literally sick to my stomach now.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
They most definitely can be. I'm literally sick to my stomach now.
Since Bobby's been publishing that data for years, and it's only coded identities, the coincidence in timing is too much to be believed.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 AM
John Startleman

'Sorry guys. ebay randomly forced me, during a crapstorm of hobby fraud being outed, to stop publicizing important information for no reason whatsoever.'

Sure.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

On the other forum guys are speculating ebay is not involved, that PWCC is a major sponsor of VCP and the pressure came directly from them.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

What a great partnership between PSA, PWCC and EBay.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
On the other forum guys are speculating ebay is not involved, that PWCC is a major sponsor of VCP and the pressure came directly from them.
I'd like to think that Bobby wasn't lying, but when your livelihood is at stake... Either way it puts him in a shitty position.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM
pete ullman

This is getting ridiculous. So anyone who brent advertises with is too reliant on his advertising $$$’s to do whats right here???
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
What a great partnership between PSA, PWCC and EBay.
You forgot the card doctors as well....everyone is enjoying the fruits of their labors.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Bobby?

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...1#post14711338

If eBay really asked you to do this over Memorial Day weekend, that would seem quite interesting. As a public company they have significant responsibility to their shareholders and if they are doing anything that could possibly be viewed as a cover up for one of their sellers that seem to be in the midst of a scam, then your statement certainly has me concerned and will make the appropriate analyst coverage aware on Wall St.

Brian Longley
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This is getting ridiculous. So anyone who brent advertises with is too reliant on his advertising $$$’s to do whats right here???
Brent is doing good things for the hobby.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

For those, like myself, wanting to bring these issues to the attention of the FBI, following is the link to the Internet Crime Complaint Center

https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by scotgreb; 05-28-2019 at 12:09 PM.