NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2020, 01:18 PM
Pete

Default Do you guys collect modern baseball cards as well?

I've been solely collecting t206 since I started again two years ago. Looked at some unboxing videos of modern cards like the high end Topps cards. Very pricey at > 1k. They aren't even cards and look more like miniature shadow boxes. The relics and auto cut outs seem odd to make into a card as it now makes it super thick. Am I missing something?
Old 12-18-2020, 01:22 PM
Patrick

I still collect the Topps flagship and Gypsy Queen sets from time to time. I don't collect them seriously, just grab a box or 2 if I go to Target or something. It's fun for me to also have cards of guys that are playing now, as opposed to 40+ years before I was born.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:29 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usc1 View Post
I've been solely collecting t206 since I started again two years ago. Looked at some unboxing videos of modern cards like the high end Topps cards. Very pricey at > 1k. They aren't even cards and look more like miniature shadow boxes. The relics and auto cut outs seem odd to make into a card as it now makes it super thick. Am I missing something?
The gambling/lottery mentality.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Andy Wa.lko

I've been collecting the Topps Project 2020 set, it's what drew me back into the hobby actually. But I think all other modern cards are ugly...the relics and autos and refractors make them all look the same...cheap and gimmicky. No thanks.

Last edited by hammertime; 12-18-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Brandon

I do live in both worlds. I am an amateur historian of sorts of my favorite teams, Cubs and Angels, so I collect both vintage and modern. In fact, 2018 Topps Heritage was what really brought me back into the hobby after a long hiatus. Kind of a good bridge between old and new, which was the appeal for me. I try not to get too caught up in the gambling or prospecting aspect of modern. I mostly just stay focused on acquiring singles of my two teams, especially Mike Trout. Heritage is the only exception, where I will dive into a case just so I can have something to rip once in a while.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:18 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I do collect modern as well against my better my judgment lol. I do know its junk wax 2.0 but something about shiny cards keeps sucking me in lol
Old 12-18-2020, 02:26 PM

I collect modern but I avoid the costly certified autos. Instead I like to pick up signed rookies that were signed after issue:

Old 12-18-2020, 02:38 PM

I have had a variety of responses to this question over the years:

I stopped collecting current day cards in 1982, and just assumed they stopped producing them that year as well.

I don't want to risk having my Net54 badge taken away if I were caught admitting to collecting modern.

I collect Prewar and modern cards from the 1950's, 60's and 70's. What decade is this?

But seriously, I don't seriously collect or follow modern. Once in every 2 or 3 years I seem to pick up a pack or two just to see how the other 95% live.

Brian
Old 12-18-2020, 04:24 PM
Tim Odeen

I collect limited modern. I'm a Reds collector, of every era. I also am trying to get my 7 year old into card collecting and baseball. I'm not introducing my son to packs. Instead I bought him the Topps complete set.

As for myself, I collect junk era superstars - Griffey, Jeter, Larkin, Ripken, etc. Those are affordable. More recently I bought a Bowman Chrome Trout RC, and a couple Kyle Lewis RCs (I live in WA)

I do like the Panini auto/relic booklets. I think they display nicely. I have only bought one - Ted Kluszewski auto/relic combo.

But mostly, I like memorabilia!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 12-18-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Jeff Woolsey

Pre 1975 for me.....
Old 12-18-2020, 05:38 PM

Default Cleveland Baseball

I collect Cleveland Indians, Naps, Bronchos, Blues - basically Cleveland baseball cards 1901 to present. I'm trying to find the earliest card or collectible I can of each player, coach, manager, general manager and owner ever associated with the team. I am as excited to pick up the latest Topps card of a new player as I am to add a pre-war player to my collection. Fully a third of the roster does not have a contemporary card, so I have expanded my list of eligible items to include press photos, publicity photos, publications, etc. My main criteria are that the card or collectible should depict the subject by himself, in a Cleveland uniform, or otherwise clearly connected with the team. Here's a photo of some 2020 pickups mixing old and new together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020 pickups.jpg (74.5 KB, 419 views)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Ken McMillan

Prewar and Chicago Cubs. Have completed set of Topps Cubs from 1951 to current including errors and variations. All Topps regular and update sets.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:58 PM

No. Most “modern” card I have is a 1927 Exhibits Gehrig
Old 12-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Admitting to collecting modern on the main sub here is tantamount to admitting you like 80's hair band music. Although I must confess to picking up a 2020 blue foil Mays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.JPG (25.3 KB, 360 views)
Old 12-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Prewar and Chicago Cubs. Have completed set of Topps Cubs from 1951 to current including errors and variations. All Topps regular and update sets.
I have recently thought about buying Reds Topps sets. I like that there is someone else already doing this. For the Reds, they have their Kahns SGA set, and I'm thinking of grabbing that in addition to the standard Topps set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 12-18-2020, 11:09 PM
Nick Pascal

I do collect both modern baseball and basketball to go along with my vintage tastes, but I've got a pretty strict set of guidelines. Usually it's just guys with a connection to Memphis. No sticker autos and no jersey/memorabilia pieces. And I've got a soft spot for star player RCs and some 90s/00s inserts.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I do. While there is certainly a bit of a lottery ticket feel to collecting modern cards, some of the high end cards are very cool. I also collected some of the Topps 2020 cards. I love the current game so no reason not to dip my toe in that end of the pool as well.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I love the notion on the board that modern collecting is all about greed, while prewar collecting is about purity and everything wonderful in the world. Every other thread on this board in the past 12 months has been about predicting price appreciation of cards and which card is going to be the next to explode in price. Yes, some prewar collectors don't care about making money off their hobby, but obviously many do.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:03 PM

I have started collecting modern cards of my favorite players in the past year. I have to say some of the cards that have been made in the last 20 years or so are beautiful.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:51 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I love the notion on the board that modern collecting is all about greed, while prewar collecting is about purity and everything wonderful in the world. Every other thread on this board in the past 12 months has been about predicting price appreciation of cards and which card is going to be the next to explode in price. Yes, some prewar collectors don't care about making money off their hobby, but obviously many do.
I thought every other thread was about PWCC, PSA, and Ebay scams. I must have been thinking about another board.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:30 PM

Canseco is my guy, so, yes! I don't really care much for any others though.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Agreed.

Some of us started (gasp) 40-50 or more years ago when this was something we did out of the sheer love of the games and the cards. I mean, in 1977 if you told someone you collected baseball cards they'd look at you like you were an idiot. I find that early spirit still holds with many collectors, of every era's cards. No one has a monopoly on greed either. Like it or not, though, if you are going to collect you have to consider the finances.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

I like vintage better, but modern has its place and appeal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troutsterling.jpg (79.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg troutup.jpg (77.4 KB, 164 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

I collect both vintage and modern. I love the game and always have. Card collecting is just an extension of that. It’s strictly a hobby for me. I love baseball cards of any kind.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapolit1 View Post
i love the notion on the board that modern collecting is all about greed, while prewar collecting is about purity and everything wonderful in the world. Every other thread on this board in the past 12 months has been about predicting price appreciation of cards and which card is going to be the next to explode in price. Yes, some prewar collectors don't care about making money off their hobby, but obviously many do.
+1,000,000
Old 12-20-2020, 03:39 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I got back into collecting cards in 1988 and the last new cards I bought were 1992 Topps.
Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usc1 View Post
Do you guys collect modern baseball cards as well?
Old 12-20-2020, 07:03 AM
Tom Re.bert

Earlier this year a long time collector was working on a 2020 Prizm basketball set, complaining there wasn't anyone to trade with, I said I would buy some Prizm to help him complete the set. I headed to Walmart. Walking in I suppose there were 25 or so boxes, 36 packs, etc. I loaded up my cart paid around 1600 and left. Opening maybe the third hanger in the middle was a silver looking card, yep it was the elusive Zion Williams silver card, selling quick in the 500.00 range. Okay got home and said to myself, this was silly buying all that product so I returned the packs for around a 360.00 credit.( darn--packs are now in the 100.00 range)---I co-owned a card shop in the 1980's-90's and needed to have modern due to demand, oh those were the good ole days, we had at least 30 plus boxes 1996 Topps Chrome basketball--
--In conclusion a lot of people have jumped on the band wagon again, some to collect, others for a quick profit, some for both!

Last edited by Directly; 12-20-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:25 AM
John Donovan

I still buy an occasional modern box (one or two per year) because I enjoy opening packs. I don't really want the cards though.

I'll keep the modern cards around for a couple years, sell off any cards that are worth more than a couple bucks to recoup a little cash, then toss the rest in the recycle bin.

It's technically a money LOSING operation...but I don't do it for the money. Opening packs is FUN!