NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2022, 07:19 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Hopefully their announcement will be that they will be grading at the National This Year. I was very disappointed they didn’t grade at Last Years National in Chicago.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:35 AM
Joe Hunter

Default SGC in 2022

I had pretty much used PSA for card grading in the past, but sent my 2nd submission to SGC in December. Generally, I was pretty satisfied with the turnaround time and I thought the grading was accurate. However, I did have one card that appeared to be damaged in the process of incapsulation. I tried to contact them by both email and phone but no response. That was at least 3 weeks ago. So, better communication would be my #1 goal for SGC in 2022.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default SCG T205 Cobb

I was contemplating posting a SCG 3 T205 Cobb on the B/S/T forum but if it not worth the price of a PSA 3, I'll keep it--
Old 01-21-2022, 09:23 AM
Mike P.ap

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
I was contemplating posting a SCG 3 T205 Cobb on the B/S/T forum but if it not worth the price of a PSA 3, I'll keep it--
Who says it's not? I'd LOVE to see a pic or 2 and a price, you might just surprise yourself.

Thanks~!
Old 01-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Who says it's not? I'd LOVE to see a pic or 2 and a price, you might just surprise yourself.

Thanks~!
PSA just brings more money. I hope SGC hires some experienced graders so they don't keep making mistakes.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Hopefully their announcement will be that they will be grading at the National This Year. I was very disappointed they didn’t grade at Last Years National in Chicago.
Concur, they really dropped the ball on that last year.

People come to the National to buy sell and grade cards. Why a major grading company wouldn’t be there is beyond me? Let’s hope they learned a lesson.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:53 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Concur, they really dropped the ball on that last year.

People come to the National to buy sell and grade cards. Why a major grading company wouldn’t be there is beyond me? Let’s hope they learned a lesson.
Totally agree. Spoke at length with Peter regarding this and he defended his position tooth and nail like his life depended on it.

Greenberg collection
Old 01-22-2022, 08:59 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
psa just brings more money. I hope sgc hires some experienced graders so they don't keep making mistakes.

+100
Old 01-22-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I hope SGC hires some experienced graders so they don't keep making mistakes.
Wity respect to PSA, that’s the pot calling the kettle black.

They both/all screw up - more than they should - but to me PSA messes up way more and more egregiously and their grading is totally inconsistent, both currently and current compared to past.

Never get cheated! (Unless you are trying to get obvious reprints graded as authentic)
Old 01-22-2022, 03:06 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
Totally agree. Spoke at length with Peter regarding this and he defended his position tooth and nail like his life depended on it.
Brian, what was his reasoning behind it?
Old 01-22-2022, 03:22 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Grading standards at SGC

Do folks feel SGC is grading vintage differently now? Perhaps more strictly than in times past?

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:41 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Ball-Hitter View Post
Do folks feel SGC is grading vintage differently now? Perhaps more strictly than in times past?
Not just vintage. I think they have tightened their entire grading process. I’ll find out just how much in 45-50 days. They just received 6 cards from me yesterday.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:32 PM
Bob Hamlin

IMO, both PSA and SGC should change their grading write up criteria. When was the last time you saw anything graded with a crease at a 3? The write ups on a "4" are listed below from SGC

QUALITY
VG/EX

DESCRIPTION
85/15 or better centering, corners are slightly rounded with modest surface wear. Light hairline crease may show on one or both sides. A light tear or surface break may exist.
When was the last time you saw this grading as a 4?

PSA states a light crease may be present on a PSA 4.....on a PSA 4? That type of grading hasn't happened since the 90's.

I hope they grade cards based on their own standards soon.

Bob
Old 01-22-2022, 08:32 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbats View Post
IMO, both PSA and SGC should change their grading write up criteria. When was the last time you saw anything graded with a crease at a 3? The write ups on a "4" are listed below from SGC

QUALITY
VG/EX

DESCRIPTION
85/15 or better centering, corners are slightly rounded with modest surface wear. Light hairline crease may show on one or both sides. A light tear or surface break may exist.
When was the last time you saw this grading as a 4?

PSA states a light crease may be present on a PSA 4.....on a PSA 4? That type of grading hasn't happened since the 90's.

I hope they grade cards based on their own standards soon.

Bob
One of the biggest problems in this hobby is that no TPG should have been allowed to determine their own grading standards, and then go even further and to then change them as they saw fit over time. One single set of agreed upon standards should have been set by the people in the hobby, and the TPGs should have had to seek approval and accreditation from whatever group spoke for the people in the hobby. Not the TPGs, not the dealers, and not the people/companies originally printing out price guides and other hobby publications years ago that often included their ideas of what the grading standards should be. And each and every TPG certified and accredited by the overriding hobby group setting the standards should have to adhere to those standards, be transparent in all they do in regards to grading (in other words, when a customer paying for grading asks why a card got a lower grade than expected, they should be given a complete, full answer), certainly not be able to charge grading fees based on a contingent percentage of a card's perceived value (doing so can cause the grading service to not be viewed as independent and unbiased, and it should take about the same time and effort to grade a '52 Topps Mantle as it does to grade an '87 Topps common, so why the difference in grading fees), and also be required to undergo some type of independent, periodic, third-party review of their grading, and if found to be deficient, their certification as an approved TPG should be subject to suspension, or even forfeiture.

It is too late though, as the TPGs have control of the hobby (with too many people now having too much value tied up in certain TPG slabs to ever want to go against them), basically call the shots, charge what they want, and decide what is what.

And as far as TPGs hiring more graders, exactly what experience do these new graders have to start, probably none. So who then is training them, and exactly how and what are they being trained to do? For all the errors and mistakes, and the uncaught alterations, in TPG slabbed cards that continually seem to keep turning up in our hobby, maybe it is about time the TPGs get held to some accountable standard, and start explaining how they go about performing their selection and training of graders, and exactly how they do what they're doing as far as grading. It sure as hell isn't like any of them have something akin to a proprietary grading technique or trade secret, like Coca-Cola's formula or KFC's fried chicken recipe, that could or should allow them to keep from their paying customers exactly what it is they're doing. .
Old 01-22-2022, 11:59 PM
DM Vock

Accurate grading? Compared with the other two of the BIG 3, SGC is by far the most accurate.

Faster turnaround time? They are faster than any grading company out there. There were a few months last year when I was getting my cards back in two weeks.

Not sure what MORE SGC could do on those two points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I guess details to follow and the great things to come.

Kind of like a teaser.

Hopefully the basics would be nice

1. Accurate grading
2. Faster turnaround time
3. New lower tier pricing for grading
4. Improved communication
5. Easier access to customer service
Old 01-23-2022, 12:19 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
Accurate grading? Compared with the other two of the BIG 3, SGC is by far the most accurate.

Faster turnaround time? They are faster than any grading company out there. There were a few months last year when I was getting my cards back in two weeks.

Not sure what MORE SGC could do on those two points.
+1 Plus, SGC slabbed cards look far nicer.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:48 AM
Tony. Biviano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
One of the biggest problems in this hobby is that no TPG should have been allowed to determine their own grading standards, and then go even further and to then change them as they saw fit over time. One single set of agreed upon standards should have been set by the people in the hobby, and the TPGs should have had to seek approval and accreditation from whatever group spoke for the people in the hobby. Not the TPGs, not the dealers, and not the people/companies originally printing out price guides and other hobby publications years ago that often included their ideas of what the grading standards should be. And each and every TPG certified and accredited by the overriding hobby group setting the standards should have to adhere to those standards, be transparent in all they do in regards to grading (in other words, when a customer paying for grading asks why a card got a lower grade than expected, they should be given a complete, full answer), certainly not be able to charge grading fees based on a contingent percentage of a card's perceived value (doing so can cause the grading service to not be viewed as independent and unbiased, and it should take about the same time and effort to grade a '52 Topps Mantle as it does to grade an '87 Topps common, so why the difference in grading fees), and also be required to undergo some type of independent, periodic, third-party review of their grading, and if found to be deficient, their certification as an approved TPG should be subject to suspension, or even forfeiture.

It is too late though, as the TPGs have control of the hobby (with too many people now having too much value tied up in certain TPG slabs to ever want to go against them), basically call the shots, charge what they want, and decide what is what.

And as far as TPGs hiring more graders, exactly what experience do these new graders have to start, probably none. So who then is training them, and exactly how and what are they being trained to do? For all the errors and mistakes, and the uncaught alterations, in TPG slabbed cards that continually seem to keep turning up in our hobby, maybe it is about time the TPGs get held to some accountable standard, and start explaining how they go about performing their selection and training of graders, and exactly how they do what they're doing as far as grading. It sure as hell isn't like any of them have something akin to a proprietary grading technique or trade secret, like Coca-Cola's formula or KFC's fried chicken recipe, that could or should allow them to keep from their paying customers exactly what it is they're doing. .

SGC went looking for graders by putting out a want ad in the newspapers.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:01 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Brian, what was his reasoning behind it?
He was adamant that if they accepted submissions at the National that they would fall behind in Florida. He was so concerned with protecting turnaround times (which have increased since the National) that they were willing to sacrifice new business. Bold statement and position, some argued it was the responsible thing to do...

Greenberg collection
Old 01-23-2022, 11:44 AM
Bob Hamlin

Quote:

Bob,
I agree completely. It's a shame that horse has left the barn and now it's a roll of the dice as to what is coming back from the TPG.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:07 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
Intelligent people still read newspapers thank god!

Smart move regardless of your point.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:09 PM
Mike P.ap

Default lol

Quote:
He was adamant that if they accepted submissions at the National that they would fall behind in Florida. He was so concerned with protecting turnaround times (which have increased since the National) that they were willing to sacrifice new business. Bold statement and position, some argued it was the responsible thing to do...
Yes they have increased from about a 2 week turnaround to about 1 month inclusive. Still about a year faster than the #2 and #3 companies!

Old 01-23-2022, 01:07 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
I could care less if they accept take home submission I want them to grade on site and on site only, that's it. Is that to much to ask from a grading company?
Old 01-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Mike P.ap

Default True.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
+1 Plus, SGC slabbed cards look far nicer.
Totally agree. Smart money also agrees!
Old 01-23-2022, 06:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
LOL

Were they at least asking for people with some experience? Actually, that may be a smart, calculated move on their part. If you think about it, it's pretty much only going to be old people still reading the newspaper, so maybe by advertising there they might actually come across some older, experienced collectors that already know what they're looking at.

I'd still be very curious and interested to see and read what materials and such they then use to train these graders. And they must have a documented set of standards they are all supposed to be working off of in coming up with the numerical grades they do. Why isn't that made available to the public, instead of treating it like some big secret? There is no good, logical reason for any TPG to not share that with the people paying them for their grading services. The one main thing/reason I can think of for TPGs not wanting to share that information with the public is if they did so, everyone will begin seeing and pointing out all the grading mistakes, inconsistencies and errors these TPGs turn out on a daily basis.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

1880snonsports is right down the road and has a ton of experience.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:07 AM
bR!@N R0+H

Heard the news through an SGC group.

Bulk sub prices are dropping from $25/card to $24/card

A $50/card 5 day submission is being implemented. Not sure how this will conflict with their service that takes 1-2 days, imo it pretty much makes it obsolete.

Idk, not that's excited about this one

Greenberg collection
Old 01-25-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
LOL

Were they at least asking for people with some experience? Actually, that may be a smart, calculated move on their part. If you think about it, it's pretty much only going to be old people still reading the newspaper, so maybe by advertising there they might actually come across some older, experienced collectors that already know what they're looking at.

I'd still be very curious and interested to see and read what materials and such they then use to train these graders. And they must have a documented set of standards they are all supposed to be working off of in coming up with the numerical grades they do. Why isn't that made available to the public, instead of treating it like some big secret? There is no good, logical reason for any TPG to not share that with the people paying them for their grading services. The one main thing/reason I can think of for TPGs not wanting to share that information with the public is if they did so, everyone will begin seeing and pointing out all the grading mistakes, inconsistencies and errors these TPGs turn out on a daily basis.

I do agree that TPG is incredibly inconsistent, and that's an understatement, but SGC does have "loose" grading standards made public here:

https://www.gosgc.com/card-grading/submissions
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:50 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Looks as though SGC is updating their site with the changes. 2 new tiers in addition to the standard one. And they have dropped down to ~25 days again on their standard turn around.

They are also providing high-res pictures of the front and back of any recent graded cards when one goes to validate the cert number.

If it does not show up when you go to the site. Refresh the site and you should see the new information.

B.T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:17 AM
dA.N CH@SE

I love the cert look-up with high quality images. It is great for SGC transparency and makes me more confident buying slabs on eBay. The multiple tiers are confusing. With SGC's already quick turnaround times, it is silly to pay double or more. Hopefully we start to see cheaper prices with SGC grading. Once we get into the $15 range, I have a bunch of cards I will be sending into them. Right now, I am just waiting things out.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Quick as always......

No holiday or New Years delay here:

They got my batch on: 12-30-21

Got my grades today: 01-24-22

Old 01-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Heard the news through an SGC group.

Bulk sub prices are dropping from $25/card to $24/card

A $50/card 5 day submission is being implemented. Not sure how this will conflict with their service that takes 1-2 days, imo it pretty much makes it obsolete.

Idk, not that's excited about this one
A $50/card 5 day submission is being implemented. This one intrigues me and how much action they get. The knock on grading companies recently is turnaround times.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:06 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
A $50/card 5 day submission is being implemented. This one intrigues me and how much action they get. The knock on grading companies recently is turnaround times.
Makes sense that they did this. The difference in turnaround time was not worth the $220 per card price difference, imo.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 01-25-2022, 04:11 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post

Just curious, did you notice they went literally from NOT including centering in their grade to using centering as one of the dominant factors in grading?

I just cant see how that's accurate grading. It's an opinion anyhow, but they've changed how they do opine, mind you without telling anyone, their entire method.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-27-2022, 03:06 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Recent sub....

Less than 30 days and $30 each! Amazing as always!

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4842a.jpg

IMG_4843b.jpg

IMG_4844c.jpg
Old 01-27-2022, 06:35 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Guess the grade?

On the topic of people wondering if SGC has employed stricter standards towards vintage - here are two I just got back from SGC. Bought them about 7 years ago raw on eBay, and just got them graded. Can you guess their grades?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (78.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (69.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 33.jpg (78.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (71.0 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:38 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

5.5 and 6
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:49 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Hopefully they go bankrupt this year

Member since 2009
Old 01-27-2022, 06:51 PM
Cliff

Default guess

6 and a TRM
T206 Back Set - 37/38
T227 Series of Champions Master Set 45/48
1948 Bowman - Baseball & Football (upgrading)
Old 01-27-2022, 06:58 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Our great country started eerily similar to this description and..... well you know that all went.

Member since 2009
Old 01-27-2022, 07:15 PM
N.ate A.dams

I was actually very confident they weren't trimmed once I got them in hand a long time ago.

I don't know the answer to if it's stricter or not. I understand arguments both for and against slightly easier standards for a 1909 T206 card as well, given limited printing capabilities of the time inhabitance in a pack of tobacco.

I thought the Schlei could have graded even higher to be honest.

Last edited by npa589; 01-27-2022 at 07:15 PM.